Scoop: Under the Dome Traps Mare Winningham for Mysterious Role

Under the Dome Cast Mare WinninghamMare Winningham is taking a trip Under the Dome.

The two-time Emmy winner — most recently nominated for her turn on Hatfields & McCoys — will guest-star on CBS’ summer smash, TVLine has learned, in a role that is mysterious and maybe even a bit… malevolent?

Winningham will appear in a late-August episode as Agatha, a deceptively warm caretaker who welcomes Big Jim into the Chester’s Mill home she’s looking after. However, it quickly becomes apparent that her intentions are anything but pure.

RELATED | Under the Dome Spoilers — Mike Vogel: Barbie Is a Good Guy

“I’m thrilled to be working with Mare Winningham on Under the Dome,” executive producer Neal Baer said in a statement. “She’s my good-luck charm: I worked with her on ER, as well as on Law & Order: SVU (for which she was Emmy-nominated as Best Guest Actress). She brings truth and believability to every role, and she will definitely leave viewers talking.”

An original big screen Brat Packer, Winningham’s most recent TV credits include Hawaii Five-0, the aforementioned Hatfields & McCoys and Torchwood.

Under the Dome, which to date has drawn nearly 20 million viewers to its pilot, airs Mondays at 10/9c.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Scoop

1. Roger says:

I’m all about having Mare Winninghan on the show! She is fantastic! Can’t wait to see her episode in August!

2. jenferner8 says:

I’ve loved her on everything I’ve seen her in. I still get creeped out thinking about her character’s “demise” in last Torchwood miniseries where nobody could die. When she ended up smashed in car that got demolished and all you could see of her was that eyeball!

3. Lyn says:

Wow. Can’t get enough of Mare Winningham, whom I was first aware of in a TV movie (“God Bless the Child”) that was utterly heartbreaking and real. Recently rewatched “Georgia,” in which she and Jennifer Jason Leigh were both amazing. Glad there might be something in “Dome” that’s as good as those cows being sliced in half!

4. A says:

I don’t watch this show but just had to comment because I remembered her from Grey’s Anatomy. She was amazing in it and it’s still upsetting that they killed her off the show. She could have been a really great maternal figure for Meredith.

5. raven64 says:

My grandmother lived in Norfolk,Va and when we would visit we would go to the local amusement park.I first remember Mare from the tv movie,”Death of Ocean View Park”. From her brat pack days to a recent Criminals Minds ep, Mare is amazing! Can’t wait to see what havoc she creates Under The Dome!

6. Hi C HI C says:

Mare is a true gift wo masters every project she is in. Stage screen both large and small and recording. She was amazing in Picnic on Broadway. I can’t wait to hear her sing again!!

7. katrina ingram says:

Mare Winningham made a good bad guy. Hard to believe that is the same actress who played Justine in Thorn Birds. She sure has aged well.