Netflix Renews Orange Is the New Black

orange is the new black renewed season 2Netflix’s Orange Is the New Black is in no danger of getting the death penalty.

The prison-set comedy from Weeds creator Jenji Kohan, which is set to launch its first 13-episode season on July 11, has already been renewed for a second season.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecards: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

“I am thrilled that Netflix has extended my sentence,” Kohan said in a statement.

Orange stars Taylor Schilling as Piper Chapman, a Brooklynite whose decade-old relationship with drug-runner Alex (Laura Prepon) results in her arrest and 15-month long detention in a federal penitentiary.

The cast also includes Kate Mulgrew, Natasha Lyonne, Pablo Schreiber, Danielle Brooks, Laverne Cox and Taryn Manning.

1. iMember says:

On twitter, I almost thought it said “Netflix adds Orphan Black” and I was like “YESSSS! Gonna watch this again and again and again.” Then I saw it was about their new original show. lol Good news for them though!

2. dude says:

This just proves that ratings don’t matter to Netflix. Not complaining.

3. Cherry says:

The trailer alone made me fall in love with this show. It looks so funny but also quite emotional and down to Earth at the same time. Very refreshing to see.

4. V says:

Netflix commits to two seasons of all original series when they approve the first for financial reasons. That they often wait to publicly announce a second is just to have a sense of what to expect in terms of reception, and possibly also as there is a stigma to multiple season orders. Regardless, if it is a Netflix original, there’s more than one chapter to the story.

• Et al. says:

Ahh. This explains Hemlock’s renewal. I was actually wondering how that came about.

• ollie says:

me to. I didnt make it past the 2nd ep.

• Weezy says:

Well you should’ve ollie, because it really starts to come together after the first few eps. Usually I can predict where a story is going, but Hemlock Grove surprised me in a way few shows ever have.

5. topoopon says:

Yay for Orphan Black!

6. Leave Comments says:

It is nice to see a company who is actually willing to commit to a show. I hope these other new media options keep it up.

7. mandy says:

best show ever. i need season 2 now!!!!!! hurry up and make it!!!!

8. Cris says:

Great show and awesome acting, Got hooked and looking forward to another season!

9. Lolly says:

I don’t know how I’m gonna make it till season 2! Great show!!

10. Rennie says:

My wife actually works at a federal prison and this show is close to the real thing, and very entertaining, with above average acting. We both watch the show and hope that many more seasons will be forthcoming……

11. TJB says:

Excellent show! Can’t wait foe 2nd Season. Anyone know who the Meth Head is with the Ponytail?