Netflix Renews Orange Is the New Black

Get More: Renewals

orange is the new black renewed season 2Netflix’s Orange Is the New Black is in no danger of getting the death penalty.

The prison-set comedy from Weeds creator Jenji Kohan, which is set to launch its first 13-episode season on July 11, has already been renewed for a second season.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecards: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

“I am thrilled that Netflix has extended my sentence,” Kohan said in a statement.

Orange stars Taylor Schilling as Piper Chapman, a Brooklynite whose decade-old relationship with drug-runner Alex (Laura Prepon) results in her arrest and 15-month long detention in a federal penitentiary.

The cast also includes Kate Mulgrew, Natasha Lyonne, Pablo Schreiber, Danielle Brooks, Laverne Cox and Taryn Manning.

Comments (15)

• On twitter, I almost thought it said “Netflix adds Orphan Black” and I was like “YESSSS! Gonna watch this again and again and again.” Then I saw it was about their new original show. lol Good news for them though!

Comment by iMember – June 28, 2013 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought it said the same thing and was really excited to start watching it!! haha

Comment by Roger – June 28, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just proves that ratings don’t matter to Netflix. Not complaining.

Comment by dude – June 28, 2013 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The trailer alone made me fall in love with this show. It looks so funny but also quite emotional and down to Earth at the same time. Very refreshing to see.

Comment by Cherry – June 28, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Netflix commits to two seasons of all original series when they approve the first for financial reasons. That they often wait to publicly announce a second is just to have a sense of what to expect in terms of reception, and possibly also as there is a stigma to multiple season orders. Regardless, if it is a Netflix original, there’s more than one chapter to the story.

Comment by V – June 28, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ahh. This explains Hemlock’s renewal. I was actually wondering how that came about.

Comment by Et al. – June 28, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • me to. I didnt make it past the 2nd ep.

Comment by ollie – June 28, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well you should’ve ollie, because it really starts to come together after the first few eps. Usually I can predict where a story is going, but Hemlock Grove surprised me in a way few shows ever have.

Comment by Weezy – June 28, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Orphan Black!

Comment by topoopon – June 28, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is nice to see a company who is actually willing to commit to a show. I hope these other new media options keep it up.

Comment by Leave Comments – July 4, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • best show ever. i need season 2 now!!!!!! hurry up and make it!!!!

Comment by mandy – July 15, 2013 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show and awesome acting, Got hooked and looking forward to another season!

Comment by Cris – July 15, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know how I’m gonna make it till season 2! Great show!!

Comment by Lolly – July 17, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My wife actually works at a federal prison and this show is close to the real thing, and very entertaining, with above average acting. We both watch the show and hope that many more seasons will be forthcoming……

Comment by Rennie – August 4, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent show! Can’t wait foe 2nd Season. Anyone know who the Meth Head is with the Ponytail?

Comment by TJB – August 9, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post