TVLine Items: Modern Family Gay Wedding Buzz, Michael E. Knight to Play Diva Dog Dad and More

Modern Family Gay WeddingNow that the Supreme Court has struck down the federal Defense of Marriage Act, Modern Family‘s Cameron and Mitchell may finally make their way down the aisle.

“It’s a real possibility,” executive producer Christopher Lloyd shares with EW.com as he discusses how the landmark decision will impact the ABC comedy.

“It’s certainly something we are contemplating on the show in ways we wouldn’t have in prior seasons,” he continues. “As you can imagine in Cam and Mitchell’s life, they would be feeling that a door has opened that was closed to them. Wouldn’t it be pretty tempting to think about walking through it?”

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

All My Children vet Michael E. Knight is returning to TV. Per TV Guide Magazine, the suds fave will guest-star on Drop Dead Diva‘s July 14 installment, playing a man representing himself in a court case concerning his pup’s unplanned pregnancy.

RELATED | 2013 Cable TV Renewal Scorecard — Renewed or Cancelled TV Shows?

• Fan fave Kelly Sullivan is reportedly leaving General Hospital, per Soap Opera Digest. The actress joined the ABC soap in 2011 as Kate Howard/Connie Falconeri.

• Fox and NBC are redeveloping two projects from last pilot season: The Assistants (formerly known as To My Future Assistant) and I Am Victor, respectively. Additionally, both productions are looking to bring back their original casts. Per Deadline, NBC and Universal TV have extended contract options to Victor‘s six cast members, including John Stamos (Necessary Roughness), Matthew Lillard (Scream), Josh Zuckerman (90210) and McKaley Miller (Hart of Dixie). Fox, meanwhile, has extended deals with Assistants stars Brittany Snow (American Dreams), Stephen Root (NewsRadio), Catherine O’Hara (Home Alone) and Jillian Bell (Workaholics), according to The Hollywood Reporter. (For more on both projects, head here and here.)

• Ovation has acquired the rights to NBC’s cancelled Smash, with Season 1 of the musical drama launching July 19. Episodes will air Fridays at 8 pm.

• Breaking Bad‘s Aaron Paul and House of Cards’ Kate Mara have been tapped to announce the 65th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards nominations on Thursday, July 18.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

GET MORE: Casting News, Daytime TV, Pilots, Scheduling News, TVLine Items

1. Dan says:

cam and mitch are such a boring couple

• wordsmith says:

I don’t necessarily agree with you, but even if you’re right, isn’t that kind of an achievement in and of itself? That we’ve now reached a point in society where we can look at Cam and Mitch and say: “Two openly gay men building a home and raising a baby? Yawn.”

2. Scott says:

Cam and Mitch are probably the best couple on TV right now.

3. Ashley says:

I love Mitch and Cam, and I’d love to see Mitch and Cam walk down the aisle!

4. Mindy says:

Oh, Michael E Knight, I do love you so much. Please come back to All My Children. Pine Valley needs Tad Martin.

• Tess says:

I was really hoping that the note on Michael E. Knight was going to be about him returning to AMC… I really wish he would at least make occasional appearances on the reboot, a little Tad is better than none at all!

5. Jen says:

Has anyone heard if they’ll be recasting Connie/Kate or is she going to be written out for now? I guess this is why they’ve been trying to build up a Sonny and Olivia romance.

6. Tom Charles says:

ummmm……….why aren’t they already married? The Office clone Modern Family has been on since 2009 and it seemed to me at least that they were together prior to Prop 8 so……….why didn’t they get married before? They should address that.

• Leigh says:

Not every gay CA couple got married during the brief window after the court’s ruling to allow same-sex marriage and before Prop 8. I know many who were already in long term relationships who held back after the whole situation with Gavin Newsom in San Francisco because the trauma of having those marriages rendered “invalid” (the official term used by the state…in writing, btw) left them gun shy about going through the process a second time with the very real chance it would again be invalidated. As it turned out, that didn’t happen and those people married during the period after the court’s ruling and before Prop 8 were allowed to remain married. [end recent history rant...;) ] Cam and Mitchell could’ve easily been such a couple, though it’s never been addressed one way or the other as far as I can recall.

• Bob says:

And no one should rush into anything at this point. Guaranteed, the forces of evil in D.C. are already writing a new version of DOMA, if not an outright Constitutional Amendment (why Clinton signed it in 1996). Won’t get anywhere, though, with a Democrat-controlled Senate and Obama in the White House.

7. Oh, SMASH. You conflicted bipolar show, you. I will miss it so.

8. Nearly had a heart attack when I saw the rights to Smash had been acquired, SEASON 3 HURRAH – oh never mind.

9. Ron says:

Am I the only one who DOESN’T want Cam and Mitch to get married? I like them as a couple the way they are. I don’t think they should just start throwing things into the plot line based on societal issues in the contemporary world. It’s honestly one of the things where I don’t know if it fits the characters — mainly Mitch. Who would cater? Chick-fil-a? (MF Emmy skit reference…)

10. agree with says:

Excellent post. I will be experiencing some of these issues as well..