The Voice's Amber Carrington on 'Stay,' 'Crazy,' Forgotten Lyrics — 'I'm Glad I Didn't Play It Safe'

Amber Carrington The Voice - Season 4Amber Carrington recognizes that her decision to dabble in a variety of genres may have hurt her chances at winning Season 4 of The Voice. Nevertheless, she has no regrets.

“Team Adam was all about taking risks and making a mark on the world,” says the eventual Top 5 finisher. “Every single song that I did was a new challenge for me, and I’m glad I didn’t play it safe.”

RELATED | The Voice‘s Danielle Bradbery Talks ‘Awkward’ Blake Shelton Love-Song Duet, Scotty McCreery ‘Controversy’ and Season 4 Greatest Hits!

In fact, says Carrington, she was more focused on “taking songs and connecting to the lyrics” than she was on staying in her comfortable country wheelhouse. “I put myself into every single song and try to relate it to my life or the lives of people I know,” she explains. “It’s not just about getting up there and singing and walking around the stage with a blank face. It’s about really connecting with the audience.”

RELATED | Fall TV: NBC Premiere Dates for The Voice, Parks and Rec in London; Grimm Returns Late October

TVLine caught up with Carrington to discuss her awesome renditions of “Stay” and “Skyfall,” her Battle Round showdown with Sasha Allen and some botched lyrics that the coaches never caught.

TVLINE | How did you choose Carrie Underwood’s “Good Girl” for your Blind Audition?
Those are the songs all the girls my age sing back at the oprys: “Good Girl,” Martina McBride, Faith Hill, all that stuff. And I love Carrie Underwood. Every since she won American Idol, people have compared me to her. Not just on looks, but my voice, too. So I wanted to do a current, upbeat song — because I thought the crowd would like that — and “Good Girl” fit that goal.

TVLINE | You had to face Sasha Allen in the Battle Rounds, and she was already considered a front-runner at that point. We know that you won, and that both of you eventually made it to the Season 4 Top 5, but what was your initial thought when Adam paired you up?
At the beginning, I seriously thought that Adam paired me with Sasha just to get rid of me. I totally looked up to her like she was a queen because she has such a powerful voice. But that Battle is when I had a huge turning point — one that will affect the rest of my career. Getting paired with somebody that’s way better than me, in my eyes, really forced me to work harder than I ever had. And when I won, my confidence shot up. The good thing is Sasha got stolen by Shakira, and we both ended up on the teams where we belonged. Me being on Adam’s team got me out of my comfort zone, and it pushed me so hard, and my confidence grew incredibly. And with Sasha, you looked at her at the Blind Auditions and you’re like, “Oh no, she can’t grow any more.” That’s what I thought. But Shakira helped her with her stage presence, helped her to get away from the Broadway stuff. So we both ended up where we needed to be.

Amber Carrington Stay The Voice - Season 4TVLINE | I remember when Carson Daly announced you were singing Rihanna’s “Stay” in the Live Playoffs. It was a shocker coming from someone who presented herself as wanting to be a country crossover artist, and yet it turned out incredibly. Were you hesitant when Adam suggested it?
I was a little nervous about it at first because I thought it was a boring song. It’s so simple, there’s nothing big about it, and I’d been used to doing those huge Carrie Underwood ballads. But ultimately, “Stay” was probably the best choice that I had on the whole show, along with “Skyfall.” I needed to understand the simplicity and the beauty of the song. Plus, the lyrics were so emotional, so you have to portray everything they’re saying. And the other good thing is the song really showed off my tone — and a lot of people have said that’s really what’s so good about my voice.

TVLINE | Your followup, Kelly Clarkson’s “Breakaway,” was maybe your weakest performance of the season. If you could change anything about it, would you?
That song choice was not very risky. Plus, “Breakaway” isn’t really old enough and it’s not new enough. “Crazy” worked because it’s such a legendary song. “Stay” worked because it’s so current. “Breakaway” was in that middle ground, and it just wasn’t my best song choice. But I got to use the big fan during the performance. You can’t argue with the wind.

TVLINE | You came back the next week with “Skyfall.” Was there a sense that “Breakaway” might have slowed your momentum and you needed to do something to get it back?
Absolutely. “Skyfall” was a very dramatic song, and it was very scary to do that. But in talking it over with Adam, I was like, “We cannot do another song like ‘Breakaway,’ because that did not do very well at all on iTunes; it barely charted.” And I just came from “Stay” and that one did so well. So I was on the top of the world, and then I came back down, and I wanted to be back on top. [Laughs]  I kind of became a different person doing “Skyfall.” It was a really cool experience.

Amber Carrington Holly Tucker The Voice - Season 4TVLINE | I also loved your duet with Holly Tucker on “Does He Love You.” Give me some scoop on that.
Holly and I knew each other before the show a little bit because she lives in Waco and I live in Dallas. Right before the Blind Auditions, we were in the room talking about music, and we started playing that song. So it was crazy when they handed it to us for our duet. We were like, “Shut up, dude!” [Laughs] And it was funny because I was the wife and Holly was the girlfriend, so behind the scenes, we kiddingly tried to get mad at each other so that we could sing the song appropriately. And we couldn’t do it because Holly is so sweet, and we’re just really, really good friends.

TVLINE | OK, so I have to ask you about some botched lyrics during your cover of “I Remember You” — which none of the coaches caught. And also, if you can, tell me about the process of taking this hair metal song and flipping it into country mode
“I Remember You” is one of Adam’s favorite songs, and I thought it was so cool the original way. I loved it. We got together with the band and were like, “We want it to be a little laid back, acoustic, with light drums — make it really country.” As soon as the band did that, I was like “Oh my God, I’m in love.” I heard a banjo and a mandolin in there, and it made me feel like I was home. We took something from Adam’s past and put it in my life too. It was like a mixture of both of us. So that was really fun to figure out.

And yes, I did forget the lyrics at the beginning. I’ve never been to the mosh pit, and having all those people surrounding me was a little overwhelming. I had never heard the song before Adam gave it to me, too, so it’s not like you hear it on the radio and you subconsciously know all the lyrics. That was part of the issue too. I got the first line right. And then the second two lines, I could not think of the words. It was crazy. In my mind, inside, I was like “Oh my God, I’m about to forget all the lyrics and stand here like an idiot on a live TV show, in front of the world.” So words just starting coming out and it wasn’t noticeable unless you really knew the song.” Of course, now everyone knows. [Laughs]

TVLINE That was also the week you did Patsy Cline’s “Crazy,” which was at the oppposite end of the spectrum from “I Remember You,” going back to classic, classic country. Even the dress you had on that week played into the vibe, with the flared, retro silhouette. Was that a way for you to tell your fans that you were a country girl at heart?
I mean, that was the first time we actually got to have our own choice since Knockout Rounds, so it was all up to me to choose my song. Actually, Colton Swon is the one that brought up “Crazy,” and I was like, “Oh my God, you’re a genius!” I’ve sung that song my whole life. I was like, “Why haven’t I thought of that?” I wanted to take it back to my roots, because I grew up with old country music thanks to my grandparents, and it was such an honor for me to sing that song. And then the dress! The girls in wardrobe are geniuses themselves. We wanted it to be that classic look — with the red curtain, the mic stand, the band — but we wanted to make it modern as well. So I took the mic off the stand and dragged the mic stand behind me. And then with the dress, I wanted it to be tea-length, but I wanted it to be modern as well. It had all those cool designs with the spiderweb-looking things on it. It was just perfect, awesome, very different.

TVLINE | Your final performance before you got voted off was Maroon 5′s “Sad,” which to me was the performance of the season. Did you feel going in that it was going to be awesome?
I heard it for the first time a couple weeks prior while I was listening to Adam’s album and looking for songs that I could possibly do, and so I texted him about it. I was like, “Dude, I love this song, ‘Sad,’ and the lyrics just are awesome!” But we didn’t really talk about me covering it. And then, for the Semi-Finals, he says, “Amber, I want you to do ‘Sad.’ I trust you with it, and I think it was made for you, actually.”

Adam doesn’t like choreography. He actually hates it. So I really wanted to do this song for him, and have it be very simple, with just the lights and the microphone stand. Just strip it all down because at the end of the day, the show is supposed to be about the voice, and I wanted to show that. Even though obviously it didn’t get me through to the next round, I was really proud of my performance. It was very, very special for me and Adam. We’re the only two on iTunes who have a version of it.

TVLINE | Was it cool to see that go iTunes Top 10? I suppose that’s really the goal at the end of the day, is to be able to be an artist whose music is going to sell to the public.
That was amazing. I was so sick of everyone else getting to the Top 10, and I wasn’t. So I was like, “Adam, we’ve got to get to Top 10 no matter what!” So to see “Sad” make it there was like a dream come true. I wanted it so bad, and I’m glad that I got to go out like that. At least I made it there once with a song that meant so much to me and my coach.

Did you love Amber on The Voice? What was your favorite performance of hers? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (74)

• I love Amber and it sucks she was booted early. Can’t wait for your CD!!

Comment by Anonymous – June 27, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Booted early? She made it to the Top 5 and competed in every episode except the finale. Maybe she deserved to be in the Top 3, but she didn’t get booted early.

Comment by dan – June 28, 2013 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She was booted earlier than she should have.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – June 28, 2013 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, Amber is “The Voice” to me. I realize Danielle, Michelle and Sasha have beautiful voices…. and The Swons were great. But, Amber’s STAY was sheer perfection; SKYFALL, a diamond quality performance… and SAD, a poignant masterpiece!!!

Comment by Jeff Doyal Crowell – July 3, 2013 02:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No video interview :(

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – June 27, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber was definitely one of my top 2 favorites this season. Now I just need Michelle’s interview, and my life will be complete.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – June 27, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amber has real fans rather than generated fans. Like Adam Lambert had real fans. But Kris Allen had generated fans out of nowhere that voted massively because those fans did not want Adam who is gay to win. So the fans were voting against Adam and his past. Like the SWON voters NEVER repeatedly visited the youtube videos of the SWON brothers to generate hits but SWONS are in the top 3. So the SWON brothers have generated fans who massively voted but not real fans because of the Oklahoma thing and because they wanted Blake to win. Danielle is a tricky one because almost everyone in the Voice sings better than her. The only difference is that she sang the same type songs and did not have pitch problems. This is also evident in the group singing like the Hall of Fame. The die hard people that seem to promote her in Youtube sounded like relatives and/or friends because they knew exactly what she was up to which was not in any news article. Like these people promoting her and defending her had an inside scoop of her whereabouts. I have a feeling Danielle may have had massive votes but she does not have that many real fans. I saw the Michelle’s fans in action working hard to vote/promote everywhere on the Internet but the Danielle’s fans were quietly buying and voting with a few die-hard fans.Anyhow, rest assure that Amber has real fans rather than temporary-generated fans.

Comment by Fan – June 29, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amber was my favorite (along with Michelle), but I am still a fan of both Danielle and the Swons. I don’t think they have generated fans, but a dedicated fanbase. Also, I happen to be a Kris Allen and Adam Lambert fan.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – July 1, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber is the BEST The Voice’s contestant EVER . Not just for this season . She brought the best performances that left a mark and memory to all 14 plus viewers . When you mention Stay , Skyfall and Sad , people remember Amber . She may not win but she left a voice print that will be remembered and will be compared to for the next The Voice contestants who will sing these mentioned songs above .

Comment by Ladyluck – June 27, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 14 million plus**

Comment by Ladyluck – June 27, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah I agree… I don’t think any future Voice contestants should even try to cover either of those three songs… she killed them! LOVE her!

Comment by B. – June 27, 2013 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I will feel just how I felt when Amy Whitcomb covered House of the Rising Sun (property of Haley Frakking Reinhart) if somebody covers Stay, Sky fall, and Sad (property of Amber Freaking Carrington) in the future. By the way, isn’t it weird that Amber’s best performances were pop songs when she is a country singer?

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – June 27, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Omg I love Haley Reinhart! You have good taste lovin people like Haley and Amber! (like me, lol)

Comment by B. – June 27, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “It’s not just about getting up there and singing and walking around the stage with a blank face. It’s about really connecting with the audience.”

Reminds me of someone…..

Comment by Lacey – June 27, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That comment felt like sour grapes to me. Obviously that other person did connect with many out there. No need for her to denigrate someone else while promoting her own strategy.

Comment by Matrix – June 28, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m sorry but people connected with Blake not Danielle

Comment by Michael – June 28, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree.

Comment by Dan – June 28, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Guess I’m an exception. Don’t know how you can prove this though. Why would people by Danielle’s songs because they like Blake. Don’t really see the logic.

Comment by Matrix – June 28, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matrix, if you had been a fan of Amber’s, you would have known all along that Amber has placed emphasis on ‘connecting’ with the audience. That is why she emotes so well. She really does her homework; making an effort to convey the emotional, as well as, the lyrical message of each song. This is important to her as an artist. Amber has made this abundantly clear to her followers…

Comment by Jeff Doyal Crowell – July 3, 2013 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I am a fan of both Amber and Danielle. Don’t get the cruelty towards Danielle. People may have other preferences, but the negative, personal comments seem out of line. Danielle’s voice is emotive. Amber has a wonderful presentation and will do very well.

Comment by Matrix – July 9, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber is just wonderful. I know she plans to do country but I hope she continues to mix it up.

Comment by Davey – June 27, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Amber and can’t wait to hear more from her. Stupendous voice!

Comment by lori – June 27, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A wonderful interview with a lovely girl! I’m so glad you talked with her about all my favorite performances of the season – Stay and Sad are definitely my top two of the whole show and Amber was always my number 1! She and Adam were a fantastic match. I cannot wait to see what she does next.

Comment by Anne – June 27, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why did she say, “We’re the only two on iTunes who have a version of it.”(about Sad) if it reached Top 10?

Comment by GTS – June 27, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She meant that they’re the only two artists with versions of the song for sale on iTunes.

Comment by Alicia Sjoberg – June 27, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love how she looks up to Adam so much… they were excellent together just like Michelle and Usher were a great match

Comment by B. – June 27, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But will Adam sign her to his label ??

Comment by ellen8 – June 28, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber was the Best Vocalist on Season 4 of the Voice Hands Down! She has a pureness and effortless quality to her voice that not many have! She has the vocal power and beauty equal to Celine Dion, Trisha Yearwood and Carrie Underwood! There is nothing Amber cannot sing and make her own! I’m glad Adam Turned His Chair! Amber, You have a Fan For Life!

Comment by Sarah25vegas – June 27, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really loved Amber on The Voice. I wish she had won the show or at least made the finals because I wanted to see more of her performances. I think she is dynamic as a singer and performer and really has the gift of emoting while singing and it touches a chord.

I am really glad that she went outside of her comfort zone and did songs that were not country and really opened herself up to being pushed. I know her heart is in country, and she should sing what she loves, but I could easily see her as big of a star as Adele in that Adele doesn’t fit into a genre, she IS a genre.

Amber has that same thing. She’s just that good.

Comment by CB – June 27, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What I loved about Amber was that although she was a country artist she was able to transcend the genres . A class act is able to do that,and Amber my dear,you are that person. Virtually everyone I want to win never wins anyway. The voting public,(I don’t live in the US so I can’t vote),clearly wanted something they could put in a little box with a pink bow. When Amber was eliminated I wanted Michelle to win because there was something there that actually might have the ability to challenge their self somewhere down the line.Amber would have done that too.And hopefully she still will.

Comment by RD – June 27, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great job Amber! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a VIDEO interview with Michelle!! PRETTY please! Mr. Michael Slezak – pretty please?

Comment by the real wendy – June 27, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I doubt that Slezak will do an exclusive on Michelle. He reported on Chamuel a while back but through Usher being the center of the story. Michelle is too controversial with the Jew, lesbian thing. She does not make it controversial but others do make it an issue. Michelle will be one of those that will disappear like the others. But who knows, I am always wrong. I voted for her and I was wrong, she did not win.

Comment by MCFan – June 29, 2013 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Amber and I know she will go far like Adam said she is the true winner. Not sure about the voting public and what they were looking for.

Comment by Deb – June 27, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amber is indeed the true winner of the Voice. The Voting Public is mostly Blake fans like the last two seasons. Blake has gimmicks to make the country fans vote for him. It does not matter which contestant he has. Blake will win.

Comment by True – June 29, 2013 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber was definitely Top 3 material. She was so versatile she could move genres with much ease and not strain (except for Fireworks, maybe. The low registry in the beginning was a killer). But I believe this genre switches narrowed her chances by having her voters “confused.” I love her Stay, Skyfall and Sad.

Comment by Pat – June 27, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg totes votes for carry YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Comment by relish – October 11, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mr Michael ,would you put an entry for Amber Carrington on Wikepedia ?

Comment by Alex – June 27, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fabulous interview! Amber sounds like she has a great head on her shoulders and I enjoyed her performances so much this season. I look forward to hearing her album whenever it comes out and I hope she keeps pushing herself and doesn’t limit her abilities. She really can do it all! =)

Comment by HeatherC – June 27, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to like Amber and still think that she’s an amazing singer but the way she keeps on digging at other contestants is just so icky to me. She can be funny and sweet but can also come off as sort of mean sometimes. I don’t get it.

Comment by ha – June 28, 2013 01:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you are reading too much into it. In all the live interviews she has had, she has had nothing but great things to say about all of the other contestants, including the winner.

Comment by CB – June 28, 2013 05:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree… when she said that thing about walking around the stage with a “blank face” she is NO WAY meant Danielle because Danielle was a very close friend of hers on the Voice. It’s funny that Danielle’s fans are automatically thinking she’s talking about Danielle… says something doesn’t it?!

Comment by B. – June 28, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha, just stop it! You are so funny!… but come off as… kind of mean sometimes. I used to like you, ha. I don’t get it. It’s kind of icky that you would come on to Amber’s video and give her a back-handed complement, while criticizing her? Let me see… yep, you’re a troll.

Comment by Jeff Doyal Crowell – July 3, 2013 03:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Before the Live Playoffs i was a big Michelle fan,but once the live playoffs came around and Amber sung “stay” i instantly became a fan and wanted both ladies to win. Kudos to her and er wonderful voice. Btw what an interesting subtle dig at one of her competitors i’m sure we all know who she’s talking about :)

Comment by T – June 28, 2013 01:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nothing subtle about it – lacked class IMO.

Comment by Matrix – June 28, 2013 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lol it wasn’t a subtle OR obvious dig… it wasn’t a ‘dig’ at all in fact. Its obvious Amber meant that there are two types of good singers, ones that connect with the song and others that fail to connect with the audience (even if they are vocally talented).

Isn’t it disrespectful of Danielle fans to automatically be associating her with that statement?

Comment by Blair – June 28, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Obvious – glad you are in the mind of Amber and can so clearly determine this.

Comment by Matrix – June 28, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You are not in Amber’s mind either. I doubt it was a dig, especially because Danielle and Amber were supposedly good friends.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – June 29, 2013 03:51 PM PDT
      • Amber has more class in her little finger than you, dude. There was a time when a real gentleman gave the lady the benefit of the doubt. Matrix, if you had been a fan of Amber’s, you would have known all along that Amber has placed emphasis on ‘connecting’ with the audience. That is why she emotes so well. She really does her homework; making an effort to convey the emotional, as well as, the lyrical message of each song. This is important to her as an artist. Amber has made this abundantly clear to her followers…

Comment by Jeff Doyal Crowell – July 3, 2013 03:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes- you said this earlier. Glad you are above getting personal. I could be wrong but I think it’s a strange comment to make without referencing another singer. Of course it’s not about singing with a blank look on your face- why would she state something so obvious without a context?

Comment by Matrix – July 9, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber has just about a great chance as the winner and anybody in The Voice of being the top record seller. Go country, pop/country, rock/country, goth/country, other country since that is in your heart. Amber is as versatile as Carrie Underwood when she was at AI.

Comment by Country – June 28, 2013 01:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While there is no way to accurately predict who among the top 12 of the Voice this year will become the most successful, we can look at the history of these shows.
      Haley Reinhart was the most versatile on season 10 of Idol, while Scotty played it safe all season, and Jessica was more versatile than P2 who, like Scotty, stayed in his wheelhouse the whole season. So far, Scotty and P2 have been far more successful commercially than Haley and Jessica. If that pattern continues, then it would stand to reason that Danielle will be more successful commercially than the other contestants.
      For some reason, America seems to vote for strong consistant performances throughout the season, more than for those who hit and miss, with an outstanding performance here and there, and a less than stellar performance occasionally.
      Personally, I thought Amber was the second best singer this season to Danielle, and I hope she is successful. I pretty much like all the top 12 this year on the Voice, and hope they all have nice careers in the music business. There is no doubt in my mind that they were all very talented. However, I do believe the only one that had the “it” factor is Danielle. I think she will become the Voice’s most successful star.

Comment by thedeviledadvocate – June 28, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think that Danielle will be as successful unless she has to dress less (show more legs, cleavage, boobs, etc.) or show up looking like a princess and mermaid than she did at The Voice. Her voice is typical and there are plenty of girls that can sing like her in Youtube. The secret to her success in The Voice is that she sang the same sounding songs with different words each week using perfect pitch (not pitchy). Also, she sang the old country songs so that no one can grab a cover of a current song in Youtube and say, look, this girl sings it better than the winner. It is all in the trickery. She is a singer rather than an artist. Artists like Amber who are not afraid to take risks vocally have a better chance for success. Danielle may be the weakest winner of the Voice. Actually, all the winners especially Cassadee are weak winners of The Voice meaning there is no versatility or sound of professionalism/artistry in their voices. A lot of the contestants in the Voice are artistically better and sound vocally better than Danielle but because of her youth, Danielle still has the ability not to make pitch mistakes. America throws out singers who make mistakes that is why Amber was eliminated.

Comment by MoreDevilsAdvocate – June 28, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Would love to see Youtube links of other “typical” singers like Danielle. I think her voice is special and unique. Love Amber too. Think she also has a great future. Just thought Danielle’s voice was stronger.

Comment by Matrix – June 28, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Matrix and Deviladvocate are one and the same to promote the rich all american young girl. This is Amber’s article. Young winners like Jordin Sparks pair with a mega star like Chris Brown to get their albums sold quickly. That is the only way they can attract attention. If not, they make them unreachable beautiful 24/7 like Carrie Underwood where even in everyday scenes Carrie is all made-up like some goddess. Lauren Alaina is the one that should be a superstar because she is genuine country even when she speaks. She is also fun and great at singing.

Comment by AlainaFan – June 29, 2013 01:42 AM PDT
          • There are countless of singers out in Youtube land that cover Taylor Swift songs like how danielle covered Mean. Just listen to the MEAN covers in youtube. many of them are better than her. Danielle’s voice sounds like it is coming from the nose so it comes out fuzzy sounding. listen to the studio version of mean. her voice sounds too amateur/auto-tuned on studio.

Comment by Youtube – June 29, 2013 02:27 AM PDT
  • Amber has a richer tone and stronger, more versatile voice than Danielle. While Danielle’s a pretty girl with a pretty voice, Amber, not Danielle, has the chops and stage presence to become the next Carrie Underwood. Amber’s got that something extra, that X factor, and I can see Amber growing as a musician and performer in much the same way that Carrie did after Idol. I hope she gets picked up by a good label that gives her a great team that understands how to develop her talent and build the foundation for a lasting career.

Comment by North Valley – June 28, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that Amber has a rich tone, and a strong versatile voice, which is why she was my second favorite. It doesn’t matter that I think Danielle is better, while you think Amber is better, neither of us is wrong, because to your ears Amber was more pleasing, to mine it was Danielle.
      While Amber is a very good singer, according to the fans who purchase Itunes, Amber did not have as much xfactor as Danielle. Also, according to the fans voting, Danielle won, so it stands to reason more people enjoyed Danielle’s voice than Amber’s.
      I am not knocking Amber, I think she is wonderful, and I agree she has more of a chance of being the next Carrie Underwood than Danielle, because I think Danielle is going to be the next Danielle Bradbery, there is no one else like her in music today. Of course, that is just my humble opinion.

Comment by thedeviledadvocate – June 28, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You know that The Voice, X-Factor, Idol is like a high school popularity contest, right? At least in the USA, it is. When Adam Lambert was a contestant at Idol, Kris Allen won. Yes, Kris Allen actually sold more iTunes than Lambert during the show because Kris Allen had some few die-hard fans who could generate massive votes/iTunes purchases. Clay Aiken was also the favorite to win in Season 2. But again, there were a few die-hard fans who could generate massive votes for Ruben to bring Aiken down. Amber has as much chance as the winner to be a top seller in the real world.

Comment by MoreDevilsAdvocate2 – June 28, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Blonde all-American girl next door won over nerdy quirky girl with thick glasses.

Comment by lilminiracer – June 28, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree

Comment by Matrix – June 28, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • With thedeviladvocate

Comment by Matrix – June 28, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I truly think that the winner had less to do with who had the better voice, it had to do with the popularity of the coach. Fortunately for her growth as a singer Amber was on Adam’s team. Unfortunately for her ability to win, she was on a less popular coach’s team and he had more charisma to sway the voters to his singers. It is a popularity contest, but it’s about which coach is favored , not which singer is better. Amber is by far better than the winner.

The only two performances from Danielle that showed any life were the one where she sang Timber with Blake and the one where she teamed up with Hunter Hayes on the finale. I think Danielle needs a partner (male) on the stage with her to spark some life in her performance.

By the way, I do not think the sentence in the article was about Danielle. From all the other interviews she has done, she has had only nice things to say about Danielle. But I do find it interesting that the readers here believe it is about Danielle and that is because she was vacant during her performances and everyone knows it.

Comment by CB – June 29, 2013 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There are lots of articles exclaiming Danielle’s winning of the voice and praising Danielle. Danielle’s fan base has swollen exponentially due to the publicity. I’ve had to search for Amber articles and interviews. I would appreciate it if the Danielle supporters who have come to Amber’s articles would show some respect for Amber by not talking about Danielle. Enough is enough.

Comment by Jeff Doyal Crowell – July 3, 2013 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Dude, it’s a blog – people will comment on whatever aspect they want. It doesn’t impact the article! Why take it personally? Signed, the dude without class

Comment by Matrix – July 9, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Blake’s fans have a facebook page called “Fans of Blake Shelton And All Things Country” that connected the country music radio stations with the “country music” saloons and bars in order to get out the vote for ‘Team Blake.” There was no encouragement to vote for any country singers that were NOT on his team. So, this was a coaches’ popularity contest for many of the voters…

Comment by Jeff Doyal Crowell – July 3, 2013 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber better be a COUNTRY SINGING ARTIST sensation soon!
    All bets are on her.

Amber Carrington News Articles:
    1. Friday, June 28, 2013
    The Voice star Amber Carrington will sing before Rockwall fireworks July 4
    by J.J. Smith of TheRockwallNews.com
    2. The Voice 2013: Amber Carrington, Season 4 Team Adam Levine Contestant, Talks Risky Song Choices, Messing Up Lyrics, Final Performance
    BY Andrew Meola , Mstarz reporter | Jun 28, 2013 11:09 AM EDT
    3. Rockwall’s Amber Carrington Gains National Fan Base with The Voice
    BY P.A. GEDDIE
    PUBLISHED: JUNE 26, 2013

Comment by Articles – June 28, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I must admit I laughed out loud at “It’s not just about getting up there and singing and walking around the stage with a blank face. It’s about really connecting with the audience.” Whether or not it was a dig, it’s true. Danielle’s got a voice, but she’s a robot!

Comment by lilminiracer – June 28, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amber’s best songs to me are TRY by pink and SKYFALL by adele.
      Her voice sounds like a REAL artist voice.

Comment by Son – June 29, 2013 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber was my favorite this season, and I think she definitely deserved a spot in the finale.

Comment by Onionhead – July 1, 2013 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber’s got beauty, spunk, talent, intelligence and a fantastic personality! All she needs now is a record and /or movie contract… did you catch her acting in those “Voice” shorts?!! I’ll buy everything she sings… even if it’s “Three Blind Mice” ’cause she’ll make it sound awesome!!!

Comment by Jeff Doyal Crowell – July 3, 2013 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems that the splash of top 200 ITunes sales for some of the Voice contestants, has faded quickly. Don’t see any of them left in current top 500 even. Usually you don’t see a song go from a top 50 to obscurity within a few weeks. Blake & Maroon 5 have several songs in the top 1,000 charts, the contestants disappeared from the charts like snowflakes in June.??? Don’t know if they don’t list them anymore, but seems strange.

Comment by Catfish – July 4, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Amber and hope she stays around in the music industry. She has so much going for her-she’s pretty, spunky, classy, intelligent. But even if she had none of these things,I would still have rooted for her. She has a gorgeous voice. Period. Rich, warm, sweet and powerful. And so distinctly hers. She gives me goose bumps.

Comment by Melody – July 6, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber was absolutely amazing. Her artistry and connection with the lyrics and the emotion were awesome. She is number one in my book, no matter who else they say “won”. And the way she sang “Stay” and “Sad” was so incredibly poignant they are unforgettable. Noone else in that competition sang like her, not even close. And Adam was a total genius in choosing her and guiding her with those songs. He’s the best coach bar none.

Comment by Shel – July 9, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • amber is so polished as a performer by comparison to any other contestant on that show, it doesnt matter that she did not win…her career will outlast , outshine in big unforgettable moments, and span every music genre which she chooses… name another who can sing pop, rock, country, or a showtune and blow away each original recording, no matter how accomplished the star… ‘stay’ – ‘skyfall’ – ‘sad’, they are part of me now…wish i could tell her thank you…

Comment by john – July 16, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post