Ratings: Rizzoli Returns Up, Perception Down

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings Rizzoli Isles Season 4Rizzoli & Isles copped some very pretty numbers with its Season 4 premiere.

The TNT procedural drew 6.6 million total viewers on Tuesday night, with 1.8 mil landing in the 18-49 sweet spot and 2.3 mil age 25-54. Those tallies mark gains of 18, 20 and 21 percent from its previous opener, and an impressive 50, 63 and 77 percent from its December finale.

RELATED | Leverage Alum Beth Riesgraf Steals Role on TNT’s Perception

Rizzoli & Isles now stands as basic cable’s No. 1 series telecast of the summer-to-date in both total viewers and the 25-54 demo.

RELATED | Leverage Favorite to Visit TNT’s King & Maxwell

The news was not as rosy for Perception, however, which led out of R&I with 4 million total viewers, with 1 mil and 1.2 mil landing in the 18-49 and 25-54 demos, respectively. That is up from the drama’s freshman finale (which did 3.5 mil/815K/1.1 mil) but down sharply from its series launch (which, airing after The Closer, drew 5.6 mil/1.1 mil/1.5).

Comments (17)

• Glad for R & I!

Comment by M. – June 26, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love R & I…..not too fond of Perception :(

Comment by Barbara C – June 26, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s too bad because Perception is a much more smartly written and acted show than R&I. Eric McCormack is really good as the paranoid schizoprhenic.

I’ve always had the feeling that R&I just throws in a little crime solving and police work while the show is mostly about lame relationships.

Comment by HAP – June 26, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome numbers for R & I! Keep it up, ladies!

Comment by John – June 26, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay for R&I! I watched the Perception pilot but I didn’t like it. stinks for Perception though!

Comment by Elyse – June 26, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TNT, it’s an amazing cause an effect situation you have yet to figure out. Promote your show (Like with multiple magazine covers, appearances on the talk show/late night circuit, etc) and your show comes back high. Don’t promote the show, and nobody watches it. Why this network can’t figure this out is beyond me.

Happy for Rizzoli and Isles. I just wish the network would give some of its other shows the same kind of promotional push.

Comment by MoshePipik – June 26, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve seen just as many ads for perception as Rizzoli and isles or major crimes. The same, however, can’t be said for Franklin and bash. Just a few small tv spots

Comment by Jared Munson – June 26, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Leverage was never given the promotion it deserved

Comment by Andy – June 26, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not bad for Perception though. TNT did a terrible job promoting this summer. Especially for the new show King &Maxwell, Perception and Franklin & Bash. Clearly they wanted to put all there eggs in one basket

Comment by Ram510 – June 26, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Way to go RIzzoli and Isles!!! Love my TNT summer shows Rizzoli and Isles and Major Crimes!!!

Comment by Eric7740 – June 26, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I turned Perception off halfway through. That woman psychiatrist looks like she’s way old or had a bad facelift. Her neck is creepy. But that’s just MO.

Comment by lyn – June 26, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Rizzolli and Isles. I don’t even know what that Perception show is supposed to be about. I turned the channel as soon as Rizzolli and Isles was over. If TNT wants people to watch their shows they need to promote better. It’s like they know Rizzolli and Isles is their breadwinner and everything else falls to the wayside. Whatever…I’m gonna keep watching my favorite summer show!

Comment by Danielle – June 26, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is awesome news! I was hoping the ratings wouldn’t be lower than last season but as it turns out they are in fact much higher. A million more viewers than S3 premiere. This is all because of the amazing, easy chemistry that Sasha and Angie have. That’s what the show is about because as far as the actual cases are concerned, they are pretty weakly developed. The holes in the plot are huge. Like last night. The motive for a sister to shoot the other sister was pretty poorly developed, not to mention that she shot a rifle with a baby on her back?? That baby would have been hysterical and maybe deaf after the rifle went off, but, whatever… And making Casey come back just to sleep with Jane and then he’s all, oh sorry but I have to go back to Afghanistan again. Please… just get rid of him. On the other hand, all the Maura/Jane scenes were golden. Love that Frankie made detective and that Angela and the Captain got together again. That’s the appeal of the show, the chemistry and the relationships. If this was just about the crimes, it would have flopped a long time ago. But while I hope that Janet Tamaro steps it up in the realism department, as long as Jane and Maura are on, I will be a fan…Looking forward to next week with Amaury on. Based on the promos he and Jane seem to have a really interesting dynamic…

Comment by Babygate – June 26, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the whole season permiere with bated breath, expecting Casey to tell Jane: my transportation gig in Germany fell through… :P

I think Rizzoli & Isles hit a creative high last year in season 3. When I say that I don’t mean it had less plot holes or more intrigue, but that the writers and creator had a lot of interesting things to say. In season 3 they hit a stride and they were comfortable in their (purely Janet Tamaro, zero Tess Gerritsen) shoes, so the show went from peripheral viewing to essential feelgood material for me, and on screen Angie is responsible for most of that excellence, this is certainly THE role I will remember her in, not the other L&O thingamajig.

Having said that, noone can guarantee the next season is the same. A lot of staff on shows may think they’re writing to the same caliber/, but the end product just don’t have the same energy. I still recall Bones feeling like a tightly-run ship through seasons 2 and 3, and then when I saw Booth’s belt buckle in the season 4 premier I was like uh-oh, they’ve lost the plot (or maybe all they’ve lost was Janet Tamaro). It was a barely perceptible sign that the earth has moved.

Eric McCormack per se is great, but Perception the show is a soup of elements that don’t come together very well. That’s why it feels weak as a whole.

Comment by allan (@lzblock) – June 27, 2013 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I fall asleep during R&I. Not so during Perception. It is a smartly written show. Love Eric!

Comment by JAO – June 27, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perception premiered?? Crap. I missed it.

Comment by Babybop – June 28, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Perception and I hope it gains more of an audience. I thought they were copping out and having him be “fixed”, but that quickly went to the wayside and I am liking the way they are heading in general.

Comment by Leave Comments – July 4, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post