Ratings: Under the Dome Blows the Roof Off the Place, Most Watched Summer Debut Since 2007

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings Under the Dome CBSCBS’ Under the Dome was clearly a hit with its Monday night premiere, drawing 13.5 million total people (per Nielsen finals) to troubled li’l Chester’s Mill, Home of Rachelle Lefevre’s Hair.

In the coveted 18-49 demo, the Stephen Kingsian drama series scored a 3.3, matching NBC’s coverage of the Stanley Cup finals (which per finals did a 3.3, plus 8.2 million total viewers).

RELATED | Under the Dome Reader Poll – -Plus: The Producers Reveal What’s Next!

Under the Dome stands as broadcast TV’s most watched summer premiere since NBC’s The Singing Bee circa 2007 (13.3 mil), and CBS’ most watched summer launch since Big Brother in 2000 (22.3 mil).

In the demo, its CBS’ best summer debut since something called Fire Me Please, in 2005.

Elsewhere, ABC’s The Bachelorette (6.4 mil/1.9) was up 16 percent and two tenths, while Mistresses (3.7 mil/1.1) dipped a tenth versus the Dome. Fox’s penultimate The Goodwin Games (1.6 mil/0.6) was up 14 percent and a tenth.

Comments (48)

• ” Stephen Kingsian”

Comment by Michael Sacal – June 25, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully viewers stick around.

Comment by Mike R. – June 25, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, did not expect that. I totally forgot it was on but set my DVR to record the encore on Sunday.

Comment by james – June 25, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very good pilot!!! I like more!!! My vote is 10!!

Comment by symsoa – June 25, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? I thought it was pretty poorly adapted from the book. And the special effects and acting were really bad, too. I stuck with it through the pilot but will not waste my time next week.

Comment by gdv – June 25, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Define “poorly adapted.” It certainly changed certain elements of the plot and some of the character relationships – but that was pretty clearly intentional on the parts of the creators, and I can see them going interesting places with those changes. It was also pretty inevitable that they would have to do that with a multi-series TV series.

I can’t say the pilot blew me away (then again, neither did the book) – but none of the problems I had involved the way it was adapted. I’ll give it a few more weeks, and see if it engages me more.

Comment by Tom – June 25, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well, I didn’t like that they made Barbie, the main character, some hitman/outsider instead of a fry cook like he was in the book. It changed his dynamic. My favorite character in the book was Rusty, and he wasn’t even in the TV show, except for a few seconds on the outside of the dome. I also thought Angie being dead in the book and Junior hiding her body in a pantry was much more interesting (and King-like creepy) than her just being kidnapped. (I don’t think that’s a spoiler, it happens pretty early on in the book). I just expected a lot more and was super bored. My husband, who also read the book, was equally underwhelmed. Which is a shame–I think there was plenty of plot that could make a really successful TV show–just not the way they adapted it. And the poor special effects and acting weren’t helping me like it, either.

Comment by gdv – June 25, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Barbie was an outsider in the book. He was traveling through town and stopped at the diner, ultimately ending up working there temporarily. We don’t know anything about his character in the show, other than that he buried a man. We don’t know that he killed him. We don’t know he’s a hitman. For all we know, he could be a government agent or something else that could explain the body and still make him the good guy.

Comment by Mark – June 25, 2013 12:17 PM PDT
          • You took the words right out of my mouth. The special effects didn’t bother me so much, but I didn’t like the character changes they made at ALL. I liked the scenes with Barbie and Rusty in the book, so to have Rusty essentially not exist the way he did in the book….well it really disappointed me. I also wish Angie would have been killed, instead of locked away underground. I really dislike that actress, but even more than that I found the book story line interesting…and changing it in this way makes Junior seem like a completely different sort of crazy.

Barbie was an outsider in the book, but already had some (good and bad) connections in the town when the book began. I don’t like that he’s so shady (so far) on the show, and the connection to Julia’s husband. Heck, That will definitely change the dynamic between them.

I definitely agree that it could have been adapted better. Some changes are necessary to make a book work as a tv show or a movie, but a lot of them just change the feel of it too much to be enjoyable to me. Bummer.

Comment by Leah – June 25, 2013 08:29 PM PDT
      • Hate to burst your bubble, pal, but I hope to God they radically change more, including the ending.

Comment by J – June 25, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s already been asked and answered that they are both radically changing the ending, and that King himself has approved their choices for the ending. So I wouldn’t worry.

Comment by SonOfCoul – June 25, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Under the Dome was really, really good.

Comment by wrstlgirl – June 25, 2013 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing but garbage on last night. That’s how they got my view. Just like the night before with Walenda. No primetime network baseball, basketball, football, or golf. Hockey doesn’t count. Not to mention summer repeats. It’s easy for these mediocre programs to receive above average ratings.
    The show was interesting because it was the first episode. Lots of unknowns and character background exploration. The acting was comical. The accompanied musical score was over the top. Hilarious that the only black person I saw was only driving through the town. CBS said make her a lesbian, and we’ll have those bases covered. I really thought she would go the way of big brother and survivor contestants; quota and first day eliminated.
    I’ll give it a couple more shot.

Comment by Kate – June 25, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And yet you watched. LOL. Obviously, you have a bias against hockey since you listed every other sport, except for lacrosse, including ones that don’t air in the summer – NBA and NFL. Go Hawks!!!

Comment by Chicago Dan – June 25, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess you didn’t watch the episode very close. Did you miss the Dj?

Comment by Sue – June 25, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nothing on Sunday and Monday but garbage….and yet you watched. What a sad life that you have nothing else to do but watch TV.

Comment by Walter – June 25, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve never seen @$$holes like the ones who post on this site. Are you 12 years old?
        people are allowed to have opinions. if you can’t disagree like an adult gtfo.

Comment by Nick C – June 25, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Amen. I didnt notice “comical” acting, as for black people, i dont presume to know that there arent towns in Maine that dont have many black people. Excuse my possible ignorance but when i think “Maine”…i think white people lol. I also got annoyed with the granola hipster mixed raped lesbian couple and basically every single line they had, however i dont presume to think there arent mixed race lesbian couples (i know there are), that are granola hipsters (not that hard to imagine).
          I dont have a solid opinion of the show, which is good i think because its a pilot, really you should save your solid opinion for when your 3 episodes in on whether or not your not interested at all, then again once the season is finished. How i would describe how i feel is im very intrigued.
          I just read a little snippet online and it says the book says “in the near future”…thats odd because i never got that gist on the show. Seemed now now “5 years from now” when maybe force fields arent as improbable as they are now?
          Overall i am excited about Barbie (awesome nickname, i assume it has to do with him looking like Ken?) But thats not a shocker cause hes a good looking badass/former soldier/mystery…those always peak my interest. I like the twist (saw it coming) that the pretty red head and him are (it seems) on the path towards being something and he buried her husband. I also like the blonde girl (though her banging a guy then crushing his dreams wasnt a good intro for me to like her) but i remember her from “Life Unexpected” and she was great.

Comment by M3rc Nate – June 25, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is freaking awesome.

Comment by hugo silva – June 25, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree it was fantastic to me, the cow was very creepy and I cannot wait to see what happens next. It was different considering he did not kill off Angie but it leaves more oppertunities in the future of the series to see what they could put her apart of. It would be a shame if they killed her off but figured out a interesting plot they could have used if they kept her in.

Comment by Claudia – June 25, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m happy you were able to use your awesome headline, matt.

didn’t get a chance to watch last night but it looks intriguing so i’ll definitely be checking it out soon

Comment by markgraywriting – June 25, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it gets renewed… thought it was quite good!

Comment by katrina – June 25, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised. I forgot to watch. I am happy for RL though. She’s a fantastic actress.

Comment by Soapstef – June 25, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOLY ****! That is insane!

Comment by John – June 25, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well now I have to watch the encore of the Pilot on Sunday. One more show to add to my summer tv watching! :)

Comment by sara – June 25, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • woohoo! Go Under the Dome!!!

Comment by Elyse – June 25, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, why isn’t this show on iTunes yet?

Comment by Oliviabensen12 – June 25, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amazon Instant has the exclusive, starting four days after broadcast. Until then, it’s on CBS.com.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 25, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Will it be pay per episode or available to all Prime Members?

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – June 25, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow, 13.1 million! this is amazing! I’m really happy for UTD!

Comment by Thiciane Diniz – June 25, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe Goodwin Games is already almost over! I’m loving that show this summer!

Comment by CultureVulture – June 25, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Rachelle Lefevre–AND her hair!

Comment by Dustin – June 25, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This^ – couldn’t agree more – she’s terrific. Hope the show does well this summer.

Comment by N tTVf – June 25, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree I did like it very much. The cow scene was very creepy I found the way it slowly slid down. I cannot wait to see what the next episode has in store and I hope it continues to sky rocket. Yes they did not kill off Angie yet but that gives more oppertunities for her future in the series. It would’ve been a shame if they killed her off but then had a plot they now could not use because she is gone. I liked it very much and hope it continues throughout the summer I would love to add it to my summer tv watch list!

Comment by Claudia – June 25, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it would have great ratings since I saw a ton of posts on FB about people watching it. I loved it! It was just creepy enough not to keep me awake (could totally have done without the cow splitting though) and introduced enough story to make me come back for more. I don’t read Stephen King books and rarely watch the adaptations b/c they freak me out but I’m in on this one and hope it keeps drawing eyeballs.

Comment by GS – June 25, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some of the acting was just mediocer nooothing compared to the acting that is done during the fall, true story. The only performence that I liked was the guy from Breaking Bad and to be honest I have seen these kind of relationships on tv soooo many times it is getting boring.

I will give it a few more episode though. Rating of the debut – Decent.

(the acting lowered the score) WOW THAT COP WAS JUST MEH, CLOSE TO TERRIBLE..

I expected more from cbs.

Comment by Kresh – June 25, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Under the dome was quite good. Stephen King books are not for the faint hearted n for everyone. It becomes even worse when the series is adapted from a single book because they have to dramatically change things. It was a solid ep and it looks to be good.

Comment by shuayb – June 25, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can someone say the special effects weren’t very good….I thought is was great. I can’t imagine the difficulty they had making it. The cow cut in half was FAB. Creepy!!! I hope it sticks around

Comment by jan – June 25, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why don’t they tunnel under it?
    What are the dimensions of the dome?
    Is it ventilated ?

Comment by Scott – June 25, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you missed the episode you can also stream it via CBS.com or you can also view it on Fridays via Amazon Instant Stream

Comment by Joseph Angelo – June 25, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • should have had gary sinise as Barbie. I would rather see the dark tower books come to life.

Comment by julie – June 25, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • not the best pilot out there but on the other hand we all know the curse of adapting a stephen king book on movie/tv . now i have started the book when it came out and dropped it for reasons that have nothing to do with the book, probably started again. if u search past posts for under the dome u will find that they allready said that they will change things when they adapt it so for me barbie it gets the mystery of who he is for the sake of tv storyline . also i really love that a certain character is turning to a psycho . for the special effect department …i really loved the cow death ( best split sice the horse thing in ”the cell” ) i will give it a season before i decide to totally forget it or be a huge fan (i love stephen king even though he might be one of the most controversial writers (incredible writer , awfull endings) but that’s just me!!

Comment by george tourette (@georgethebeast) – June 26, 2013 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazon exclusivity is going to really push the torrent quotient up on this show. I don’t understand the concept of “exclusives” when all it does is limit your market.

Comment by kevinb – June 26, 2013 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the writing, it was funnier and smarter than I expected, and I’m glad Lefevre’s finally on a hit show after that “Doctors of the Jungle” mess she was on. The whole mystical-seizure thing was a bit much, I’m hoping it will stay firmly in the realm of sci fi/horror and avoid the pitfalls of being a Deepak Chopra “it’s purgatory” mind frack that chases it’s tail endlessly until audiences lose interest.

Comment by Plum – June 26, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Daaaaaaaayyyyyum, that’s a lot of viewers. I’m on vacation while literally everyone and their mother tunes in to this thing? …I think I’ll need to cue this up on On Demand when I get home.

Comment by Zoe – June 29, 2013 03:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Worst show of the summer! Pilot was decent and then a total waste of time. It’s just a pile up of bad acting and stupid story lines….sorry hope it get’s canceled!

Comment by Joe – July 15, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in
    our community. Your site provided us with valuable
    information to work on. You’ve done a formidable job
    and our entire community will be grateful to you.

Comment by how to get your ex girlfriend back – January 16, 2014 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post