Psych's Final Season Episode Order Increased

psychPsych‘s (likely) final season is growing.

USA Network has increased the show’s Season 8 order from 8 episodes to 10, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Psych Scoop: Maggie Lawson Will Be Back — But for How Long?

The move comes two months after USA commissioned five additional Season 8 scripts, only two of which will now be produced.

Viewers, meanwhile, will get to choose the storyline of one of the two bonus episodes from three options at USANetwork.com. Voting closes on July 12 and the winning plot will be announced the following week at Comic-Con.

1. Esaul says:

Hah. Psychic. :D

2. Ram510 says:

Funny I was just reading about Psych on Ask Ausiello and was think to myself “of course they are going to get 13 episodes” but well now we know. I hope they can find some new creative juices and are able to put out more season. I’m not ready to say good bye yet

3. Tim says:

One of the most enjoyable shows around, will miss it.

4. Midori says:

They really should just give it a normal 13-16 episode season. Stop being cheap!

• Esaul says:

As much as I love this notion, that isn’t plausible with an aging show like Psych. Eight seasons is a long life for a cable show. :)

• Lauren says:

Seriously. Why do fans of a dying show always get greedy?

• Esaul says:

Everyone at least once has felt this passionate about a show. I wouldn’t call it dying nor greed. Season seven to my knowledge was pretty strong for USA’s standards.

• Midori says:

Because the Network is being cheap.

There is no reason not to have 13 episodes, say it’s the final season and move on. I’m not going…

“I’ll die without this show!!!! It’s too soon for the show to end!!!!”

• mrivlin says:

They aren’t being greedy. The show is still good and gets solid ratings. But, as an older show, its cast and crew are expensive. The only reason it is ending is money. Executives at Comcast/NBC-U think USA can make more money by putting a new show in its slot. In a world where antitrust laws were enforced, producers of a show that can still make money would be able to find a new home for that show. That’s not the case where Comcast/NBC-U owns and produces the show along with its outlet.

• A says:

I don’t understand why people keep saying the show is dying. Season 7 was probably one of the best seasons for me. I don’t get why a lot of people where constantly complaining about the Shawn/Jules breakup. I loved it. It added something new to the show and was refreshing. They definitely did an amazing keeping the comedy despite the overall situation. While there were a few things that they could have done better like actually showing a Shawn/Jules resolution rather than glossing over it or toning down Woody a bit (because he was a little too extra crazy this season), I still think this show is far from dying. It still continues to be the show I loved. Funny and silly comedy about two man-childs!

5. Elyse says:

woohoo!!!

6. Esaul says:

That isn’t fair. Two of the descriptions I want to see done as an episode. You have the one from James Roday (which I probably will vote for) and then another that’s food related! How can we pick from the two? D:

• Alan says:

pick the food one, the other has been done to death on many shows and has already been done with shawn a few years back so i would rather see something different.

• Esaul says:

mhm i do agree with you on that, the food one would be hilarious, but I also love James Roday’s directing which is why I voted for that one :P

7. Josh says:

Ummm, if the show is ending shouldn’t they let them prepare instead of having things like a viewers choice? If we really only have 10 episode left of Psych, please let us prepare!

8. steve says:

I wish with this USA would just already give it 16 episodes and make it official that it is the final season as to me thats where we are heading

• Danyelle says:

I’m glad for for the extra 2. There is no way it will get anywhere close to 16 at this rate. The writing is so on the wall. Especially if Maggie is only available for a few.

• A says:

I agree even though it’s sad that it likely won’t happen. I really hate when shows do this. Just announce already whether or not it will be a final season and let us process and accept it. It really bugs me when they just drag it out.

9. chloe says:

damn it USA just give us fans a full season!

10. K. says:

YAY!!!!Come on son…..

11. Amber says:

I would love for one more last Roday episode, but if there was a way to know which one Maggie will/could be in, then I would totally vote for that one. I’ll take these last 2 though!

12. desiree says:

USA’s run with new shows is so good. Like fairly legal and other failed shows that were so bad I can’t remember their names because they were cancelled so quickly. Psych will be missed.

13. Leah says:

as much as I’d like more psych, it can’t go more seasons with Maggie Lawson getting her own show on abc, right?

14. Susan says:

Come on, USA network, give Psych a full season! This show, and White Collar, are two of the very best shows on TV~

15. Jenna says:

Great news! Keep ‘em coming. :D

16. Babybop says:

I don’t want the show to end… It’s like losing a part of me! I already lost House… I’m still healing from that. Ha ha.

• PsychFan says:

Same here with House and Psych. It is sad when a good veteran show ends. I just hope they wrap the show up nicely when they decide to do it.

17. Joey says:

I’m glad the last season will have 10 episodes. I’ll miss the show. One of USA’s best shows.

18. what! says:

That’s what I’m talking abouut! Voting for “Dream Therapy”! I love the episodes that Roday has directed. Can’t wait for the musical!

19. Dude says:

just freaking confirm its ending and let it go out in style we the psychos deserve that much. COME ON SON!!!!!!

20. Sandy says:

They already announced that season 8 will be the last. They are not being cryptic there. The only thing we don’t know is how many episodes will make up season 8.

• A says:

There’s only been speculation. There has been no official confirmation from USA regarding whether or not it’s the final season.

• Sisi says:

James did say it’s the final season… He’s a producer on the show and both Maggie and Kurt have roles on new shows so you can put two and two together. I love the show A LOT but yeah, it’s definitely ending.

• A says:

I did reach that same conclusion. I only responded to @Sandy because she said that they already announced it when there was no actual announcement/confirmation from the network about it.

21. Sisi says:

Burn notice has 13 episodes for its final season. It’s a pretty old show(7th season) and expensive too(shooting in Miami, all that explosions and extras to pay for) so I DON’T GET IT. It’s not a case whereby Psych is absolutely struggling to stay alive with its ratings. But at the same time, I’m not sure if I could watch more episodes without Maggie. It’s not just Shawn and Jules I’m worried about, Lassie without his partner?? Ugh no thanks.

22. Fran says:

Psych is one of those shows I have wanted to watch for years, but just never got around to it. I really need to get on that.

23. Kelly says:

I love Psych and thought it did pretty well for USA considering how usa bumps it around a lot and makes u wait in between seasons. I wish they’d just give them a full season.

dream therapy gets my vote for bonus episode.

24. Sara says:

I think DREAM THERAPY would win, but I voted for TELETHON…would love to see Shawn get out of that mess

25. L says:

Wish they hadn’t said that Roday would be directing Dream Therapy. Everyone’s going to vote for that one just cause of that fact. The other plots, both of which I like better (not a fan of dream episodes), probably don’t stand a chance.

26. bobbie says:

I hope they make all 3 episodes. It’s too much of a Sophie’s choice. It’s unbearable to turn down any of the fun ideas.

Dear USA, are characters no longer welcome there?

27. Natalie says:

Whoa whoa whoa! I don’t want Psych to end! What the heck?! Final season?! I feel myself spiraling into depression with this news! Just….NOOOOO!

28. W. J. says:

Psych is truly one of the most underrated comedy/buddy shows, ever. It’s never received the respect it deserves from the industry, but will produce revenue for years and years to come. I wish them all the best, and hope new viewers continue to discover the show, even after USA closes shop. I miss it already. :-(

29. Why cant Shawn and Gus move to SyFy and have a diff show doing something sci fi like taking Psych in a diff direction but still the same duo??

30. cameron says:

why don’t they make more? I hate that they are stoping

31. cameron says:

I can’t live without psych why USA why?

32. cameron says:

I am going to miss shawn and gus good luck guys I hope u guys can get an diff tv show but steel be the same duo. I’ll miss psych. long live psych

33. WheresThePineapple says:

Such a great show.. and so many more stories left to tell. USA, you pulled the plug far too soon! If anyone involved in the show ever reads this… thanks for the laughs!