Psych's Final Season Episode Order Increased

Get More: News

psychPsych‘s (likely) final season is growing.

USA Network has increased the show’s Season 8 order from 8 episodes to 10, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Psych Scoop: Maggie Lawson Will Be Back — But for How Long?

The move comes two months after USA commissioned five additional Season 8 scripts, only two of which will now be produced.

Viewers, meanwhile, will get to choose the storyline of one of the two bonus episodes from three options at USANetwork.com. Voting closes on July 12 and the winning plot will be announced the following week at Comic-Con.

Tags: ,

Comments (54)

• Hah. Psychic. :D

Comment by Esaul – June 25, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny I was just reading about Psych on Ask Ausiello and was think to myself “of course they are going to get 13 episodes” but well now we know. I hope they can find some new creative juices and are able to put out more season. I’m not ready to say good bye yet

Comment by Ram510 – June 25, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the most enjoyable shows around, will miss it.

Comment by Tim – June 25, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They really should just give it a normal 13-16 episode season. Stop being cheap!

Comment by Midori – June 25, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As much as I love this notion, that isn’t plausible with an aging show like Psych. Eight seasons is a long life for a cable show. :)

Comment by Esaul – June 25, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seriously. Why do fans of a dying show always get greedy?

Comment by Lauren – June 25, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Everyone at least once has felt this passionate about a show. I wouldn’t call it dying nor greed. Season seven to my knowledge was pretty strong for USA’s standards.

Comment by Esaul – June 25, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Season 7 was excellent, sooo many great episodes.

Comment by Josh – June 25, 2013 06:45 PM PDT
        • Because the Network is being cheap.

There is no reason not to have 13 episodes, say it’s the final season and move on. I’m not going…

“I’ll die without this show!!!! It’s too soon for the show to end!!!!”

Comment by Midori – June 25, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • THIS. Couldn’t have said it any better myself, no reason for Psych to get less than 13 eps, the network’s being cheap.

Comment by Veronica Lynn (@anthem_2013) – June 25, 2013 04:48 PM PDT
          • Exactly, why is Burn Notice getting a 13-episode send-off and Psych isn’t? It’s not fair.

Comment by A – June 25, 2013 05:36 PM PDT
        • They aren’t being greedy. The show is still good and gets solid ratings. But, as an older show, its cast and crew are expensive. The only reason it is ending is money. Executives at Comcast/NBC-U think USA can make more money by putting a new show in its slot. In a world where antitrust laws were enforced, producers of a show that can still make money would be able to find a new home for that show. That’s not the case where Comcast/NBC-U owns and produces the show along with its outlet.

Comment by mrivlin – June 25, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t understand why people keep saying the show is dying. Season 7 was probably one of the best seasons for me. I don’t get why a lot of people where constantly complaining about the Shawn/Jules breakup. I loved it. It added something new to the show and was refreshing. They definitely did an amazing keeping the comedy despite the overall situation. While there were a few things that they could have done better like actually showing a Shawn/Jules resolution rather than glossing over it or toning down Woody a bit (because he was a little too extra crazy this season), I still think this show is far from dying. It still continues to be the show I loved. Funny and silly comedy about two man-childs!

Comment by A – June 25, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • woohoo!!!

Comment by Elyse – June 25, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No this show is awesome I don’t want it to end :(

Comment by John – March 25, 2014 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That isn’t fair. Two of the descriptions I want to see done as an episode. You have the one from James Roday (which I probably will vote for) and then another that’s food related! How can we pick from the two? D:

Comment by Esaul – June 25, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • pick the food one, the other has been done to death on many shows and has already been done with shawn a few years back so i would rather see something different.

Comment by Alan – June 26, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • mhm i do agree with you on that, the food one would be hilarious, but I also love James Roday’s directing which is why I voted for that one :P

Comment by Esaul – June 26, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm, if the show is ending shouldn’t they let them prepare instead of having things like a viewers choice? If we really only have 10 episode left of Psych, please let us prepare!

Comment by Josh – June 25, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the scripts are already written, this is just a choice between which one goes into production.

Comment by Alan – June 26, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish with this USA would just already give it 16 episodes and make it official that it is the final season as to me thats where we are heading

Comment by steve – June 25, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad for for the extra 2. There is no way it will get anywhere close to 16 at this rate. The writing is so on the wall. Especially if Maggie is only available for a few.

Comment by Danyelle – June 25, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree even though it’s sad that it likely won’t happen. I really hate when shows do this. Just announce already whether or not it will be a final season and let us process and accept it. It really bugs me when they just drag it out.

Comment by A – June 25, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • damn it USA just give us fans a full season!

Comment by chloe – June 25, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!Come on son…..

Comment by K. – June 25, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love for one more last Roday episode, but if there was a way to know which one Maggie will/could be in, then I would totally vote for that one. I’ll take these last 2 though!

Comment by Amber – June 25, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • USA’s run with new shows is so good. Like fairly legal and other failed shows that were so bad I can’t remember their names because they were cancelled so quickly. Psych will be missed.

Comment by desiree – June 25, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as much as I’d like more psych, it can’t go more seasons with Maggie Lawson getting her own show on abc, right?

Comment by Leah – June 25, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on, USA network, give Psych a full season! This show, and White Collar, are two of the very best shows on TV~

Comment by Susan – June 25, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! Keep ‘em coming. :D

Comment by Jenna – June 25, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want the show to end… It’s like losing a part of me! I already lost House… I’m still healing from that. Ha ha.

Comment by Babybop – June 25, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here with House and Psych. It is sad when a good veteran show ends. I just hope they wrap the show up nicely when they decide to do it.

Comment by PsychFan – September 3, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • more!!!

Comment by TrashBash – June 25, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad the last season will have 10 episodes. I’ll miss the show. One of USA’s best shows.

Comment by Joey – June 25, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s what I’m talking abouut! Voting for “Dream Therapy”! I love the episodes that Roday has directed. Can’t wait for the musical!

Comment by what! – June 25, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just freaking confirm its ending and let it go out in style we the psychos deserve that much. COME ON SON!!!!!!

Comment by Dude – June 25, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They already announced that season 8 will be the last. They are not being cryptic there. The only thing we don’t know is how many episodes will make up season 8.

Comment by Sandy – June 25, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s only been speculation. There has been no official confirmation from USA regarding whether or not it’s the final season.

Comment by A – June 25, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • James did say it’s the final season… He’s a producer on the show and both Maggie and Kurt have roles on new shows so you can put two and two together. I love the show A LOT but yeah, it’s definitely ending.

Comment by Sisi – June 25, 2013 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I did reach that same conclusion. I only responded to @Sandy because she said that they already announced it when there was no actual announcement/confirmation from the network about it.

Comment by A – June 25, 2013 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Burn notice has 13 episodes for its final season. It’s a pretty old show(7th season) and expensive too(shooting in Miami, all that explosions and extras to pay for) so I DON’T GET IT. It’s not a case whereby Psych is absolutely struggling to stay alive with its ratings. But at the same time, I’m not sure if I could watch more episodes without Maggie. It’s not just Shawn and Jules I’m worried about, Lassie without his partner?? Ugh no thanks.

Comment by Sisi – June 25, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Psych is one of those shows I have wanted to watch for years, but just never got around to it. I really need to get on that.

Comment by Fran – June 26, 2013 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Psych and thought it did pretty well for USA considering how usa bumps it around a lot and makes u wait in between seasons. I wish they’d just give them a full season.

dream therapy gets my vote for bonus episode.

Comment by Kelly – June 26, 2013 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think DREAM THERAPY would win, but I voted for TELETHON…would love to see Shawn get out of that mess

Comment by Sara – June 26, 2013 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish they hadn’t said that Roday would be directing Dream Therapy. Everyone’s going to vote for that one just cause of that fact. The other plots, both of which I like better (not a fan of dream episodes), probably don’t stand a chance.

Comment by L – June 26, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they make all 3 episodes. It’s too much of a Sophie’s choice. It’s unbearable to turn down any of the fun ideas.

Dear USA, are characters no longer welcome there?

Comment by bobbie – June 26, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whoa whoa whoa! I don’t want Psych to end! What the heck?! Final season?! I feel myself spiraling into depression with this news! Just….NOOOOO!

Comment by Natalie – June 30, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Psych is truly one of the most underrated comedy/buddy shows, ever. It’s never received the respect it deserves from the industry, but will produce revenue for years and years to come. I wish them all the best, and hope new viewers continue to discover the show, even after USA closes shop. I miss it already. :-(

Comment by W. J. – July 5, 2013 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why cant Shawn and Gus move to SyFy and have a diff show doing something sci fi like taking Psych in a diff direction but still the same duo??

Comment by Catherine Brooks – July 12, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why don’t they make more? I hate that they are stoping

Comment by cameron – August 9, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t live without psych why USA why?

Comment by cameron – August 9, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to miss shawn and gus good luck guys I hope u guys can get an diff tv show but steel be the same duo. I’ll miss psych. long live psych

Comment by cameron – August 9, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a great show.. and so many more stories left to tell. USA, you pulled the plug far too soon! If anyone involved in the show ever reads this… thanks for the laughs!

Comment by WheresThePineapple – November 25, 2013 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post