Ratings: Mad Men Finale Sets Record, Devious Does OK, 13 Million Watch Skywire Walk

Nik_Wallenda_SkywireDiscovery’s coverage of Nik Wallenda‘s high-wire walk across a Grand Canyon chasm averaged 8.5 million total viewers on Sunday evening, with 13 million laying witness to the daredevil’s actual 22-minute trek.

All told, it stands (heh) as the cabler’s high-rated special since spring 2000’s Walking with Dinosaurs and Raising the Mammoth, and its No. 3 special of all time.

RELATED | Sunday Ratings for ABC’s Whodunnit? and NBC’s Crossing Lines

Leading out of that, Naked and Afraid’s debut held onto 4.2 mil, making it the cabler’s No. 2 series premiere ever, trailing only 2012’s Amish Mafia.

RELATED | Premiere Poll: Did Lifetime’s Devious Maids Clean Up?

madmen-season finaleThe Season 6 finale of Mad Men on AMC, meanwhile, drew 2.7 million viewers — the show’s most-watched closer to date. (The Season 5 climax drew 2.6 million viewers).

Over on Lifetime, Drop Dead Diva returned to 2.2 million total viewers, down just a smidge from its year-ago opener but dropping 21 percent from its Season 4/almost series finale. Leading out of that, Marc Cherry’s Devious Maids swept up 2 million total viewers, with 826K landing in the 18-49 sweet spot — a bit below The Client List’s Season 2 opener but on par with its latest finale.

1. shuayb says:

Considering the skywire took a huge chunk of audience last night, Devious maids didn’t do too bad. I wonder what Drop Dead Diva’s numbers are…
    There needs to be more ads not only showing the maids but they need to show off drew, matt n luci…

• Ambrosia says:

I wish people would simply watch tv and Devious Maids for what it is entertainment. My goodness, on the one had we have 5 Latina leads and people whine they are playing maids – its entertainment not a political statement. That being said the Beverly Hills homeowners probably should be featured more in the adds – wow, I remember my mom watching some soap with Susan Lucci. She must be close to 70 and she is not only still great looking but hillariious. Me thinks Marc Cherry should show a little more love to Lucci – she is stealing the show:) And logically a little more eye candy or use of it would help – the have Grant Show, Drew Van Acker and Matt Cedano so that is plenty – no shirts will save money too.

• mia says:

But there shouldn’t be any shame about them being maids; its an employment sector that *is* dominated by latina women. And I think giving that occupation, and those women, voices and stories via DM can be a really positive thing. It can expose us to rethink the people we ‘don’t see’, the real backbone of the country, to reconsider stereotypes and beliefs we have, and to maybe tell some of the realistic life situations of women in these jobs and the stuff they face…..but with a telenovella whack sense.

2. Adam says:

What about the ratings for Copper and Drop Dead Diva season premieres?

3. redjane12 says:

Wonder if TB’s second ep would improve from the premiere (as there was tough sports competition on the night) or whether it will decrease which would mean a pretty hefty loss from last season

4. Babygate says:

I’m glad Wallenda’s act went well. Wow, that’s a pretty huge audience. I couldn’t watch live. I would be a wreck. When I was a little girl I watched another Wallenda act live on tv but that time the man, I think he may have been the grandfather because it was a long time ago, fell to his death as he was trying to cross two highrises in Puerto Rico. I never fully recovered from that sight as there was no time delay.
    Anywho, I hope Devious Maids holds up. I have to admit my expectations were not too high because of how cliched it looked but I was hooked. So much so I kept it on my DVR to watch again. Yes the characters are stereotypical, but it is a heightened reality. The performances really impressed me. Especially Ana Ortiz. She was incredibly grounded. Also, even though they are maids, the leads are not portrayed as victims. They are intelligent, proud, strong women working hard to make their way under less than ideal circumstances and that was refreshing to see. I particularly enjoyed how Dania’s character tricked her employer into letting her go to the attorney’s appointment. These are very good actors. I will be tuning in for the rest of the season and wish them great success.

5. Ross says:

What happened to The Killing?? What you can give the ratings for Mad Men, but you can’t give them for the show on before it?! Sloppy!

6. april-ann says:

I was all set to enjoy Devious Maids. It seemed to have all the elements I enjoy, especially for light and soapy fun summer watching. Then I read they were going to focus on a boring murder whodunit right out of the gate. We all know how that worked out for Melrose Place 2, so I didn’t watch.