Nashville Loses a Key Player for Season 2

Nashville Season 2 T Bone BurnettWhen it returns for its second season, Nashville will be down one major presence in the country-music scene.

T Bone Burnett — the man responsible for choosing, producing and/or creating the songs sung by Rayna & Co. in Season 1 — won’t return as executive music producer.

Buddy Miller, Burnett’s second-in-command, will take over the post.

RELATED | What Happens Next: Which Nashville Career Is Doomed to Crash? You Be the Judge!

The in-demand music producer, who’s also married to series creator and exec producer Callie Khouri, never intended to stay past the ABC drama’s freshman season, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

“We’re going to do Nashville‘s second season with Buddy and some of the other producers that we worked with,” Khouri told the site, citing her husband’s “overwhelming” schedule which includes film work and producing an upcoming Elton John album.

“T Bone set the gold standard for the show,” she added. “His commitment to the quality of the music, the sound for the characters and all of that was something that we were very lucky to get him for.”

Nashville fans, what do you think about this behind-the-scenes change? Sound off in the comments!

1. Nerwen Aldarion says:

God the twitter post was misleading. I thought that Charles Estan was leaving or something.

2. Aimee says:

If he didn’t intend to stay, hopefully he picked his #2 wisely and trained him well. The original songs on this show have been really good.

3. Edina says:

This music got me hooked on country. I hope season 2 can live up to everyone’s expectations.

4. Lauren says:

This makes me a little anxious since T Bone is such a genius. He is great at finding music that can’t be pigeon holed into a certain genre. I don’t like country music but I was able to appreciate it in the context of this show. I hope I’ll still feel this way next season.

5. Geo says:

Yeah, for a show where I expected to love Connie and Hayden, but hate the music (I generally can’t stand much modern mainstream overly-processed country music), I ended up really liking the music. Best moment though was when Rayna’s girls sang that Lumineers song– again, T-Bone and crew took something that could have been cutesy and obnoxious and made a really nice moment out of it. I hope the show stays on the same musical path he’s set.

• A says:

Yes, Ho Hey was the best song sung on the show. I absolutely loved it.
      I also did enjoy Fade Into You and Looking for a Place to Shine.

• wordsmith says:

For the record, I think those girls may have been doing Ho Hey before the show started (if any of you weren’t aware, they really are sisters, and they have a number of videos on youtube)

6. TV Gord says:

I wasn’t crazy about the storylines last year, but I like the characters. It doesn’t have much competition this fall (Ironside is the only other show in that time slot I’ll be watching, and my hopes aren’t high for it), so I’ll keep watching for a while. If it improves, I’ll keep watching, but if T-Bone hadn’t been involved last season, I would have tuned out long before the season’s end.

7. nguber says:

The music is one of the main things that makes this show. That and Connie Britton’s luxurious locks lol. But here is hoping the #2 man is almost as good as T Bone.

8. Sara says:

Oh that scared me for a sec. Don’t get me wrong, I love the music & almost 95% of the country songs in my itunes are from here, but I was worried we were losing a cast member…phew!

9. Tran says:

Great. Now that T Bone is gone I’ll only be watching for Connie Britton. Man…this ain’t good.

10. Trish says:

I was the farthest you could be from a Country Music fan until I heard that song at the end of the pilot by Scarlet and Gunner. That moment made me a new fan of good Country Music. If T-Bone’s replacement can give me a similar listening experience then I’m in.

11. HAP says:

Buddy Miller has been around Austin and Nashville forever. He’s worked with the likes of Emmylou Harris, Shawn Colvin, Robert Plant, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Patty Griffin and Allison Krause. I really don’t think there will be any noticeable change.

12. cjeffery7 says:

the sounds he has established are very solid, imo, and here’s to hoping his #2 will continue to build on that. i’m not really worried yet. only if the music starts to sssuuuyyyuuucck then i’ll piss & moan about it.

13. Alex says:

I doubt anyone will notice the difference. YAWN.

14. SisterMadly3 says:

Buddy Miller is a legend; I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

15. mia says:

The music was freakn amazing this season and was one of the reasons I kept watching (and I’m not even a country music fan!). So I hope his replacement is talented.

16. eileen hargis says:

Buddy will do fine. As a longtime Nadhville resident, u wont even notice the substitution!

17. Mick says:

Buddy Miller has been involved since the pilot. He worked on the first song Sam and Claire sung so it isn’t too bad but TBone is a big reason why the actors connected to the music so I hope thus transition goes well.

18. Sarah says:

Well, I guess Nashville’s over. I know a lot of people who only started watching it because of him. I’m one of them.

19. Dizzle says:

At the end of the day, he’s the husband of the exec producer, so I doubt he will be 100% removed from the show or any music from it!

20. ilaure says:

A reblogué ceci sur i_Laure's Blog and commented:
    C’est vraiment dommage parce que c’est aussi ce qu’il faisait de Nashville une bonne série. Espérons que son second est aussi efficace. Si on retire à Nashville sa bonne musique, la série devient un peu creuse….

21. AcuraT says:

They were lucky to have T Bone for one full season. Hopefully the music does not tank this year. He leveraged everyone’s vocal range (both good and bad) to an optimum. He is known for producing a lot of acts in the 80s, but is still utilized today.

22. Magically Suspicious says:

I’ll cross my fingers that Buddy Miller realizes that Connie can’t sing and quits trying to force it.