Netflix Renews Hemlock Grove for Season 2

Hemlock Grove RenewedHemlock Grove will continue to serve up scares.

Netflix has ordered a second season of the original series from exec producer Eli Roth, the streaming service announced on Wednesday.

VIDEO | Netflix’s Orange Is the New Black Trailer

Charles H. “Chic” Eglee (The Walking Dead, Dexter, The Shield) will serve as showrunner for the horror thriller’s sophomore run.

“The worldwide fan response to Hemlock Grove was phenomenal,” said Roth in a statement. “Netflix members loved the potent combination of sexy monsters, mystery and the dark family soap opera that ended with a huge twist, leaving audiences worldwide totally shocked. Season 1 was just a warm up for what we have in store for Season 2.  Get ready to be scared in ways you never expected.”

Added Neflix’s VP of Original Content Cindy Holland: “Chic’s addition to the show, and his experience on such fan favorites as The Shield, The Walking Dead and Dexter, will heighten the intensity of the mystery that grips Hemlock Grove.”

Season 2 will consist of 10 episodes, slated to premiere in 2014.

1. Charlie says:

HA,what a crock couldn’t even make it through the pilot

• M3rc Nate says:

100% He (Eli) is obviously surrounded by people that dont tell him the truth. I basically FORCED myself to watch it all because Kandyse McClure kept tweeting about how shes on it. My god was i confused, and creeped out. The story telling was horrendous. Overall there were some things i liked, but i doubt they will veer far enough away from the style and tone of the first season for me to be interested.

Its one thing when a show/movie is confusing and above your head and mysterious and then in the last episode/30 minutes of the movie you get the “key” that unlocks the mystery and puts everything in place and you go “OHHHHHHH!!!”…its quite another when after its finished you are left asking “WTF just happened? WTF was that? What am i missing? Is it my fault or the tv/movie?” What movie has this same fault that was widely criticized? Prometheus.

• Christy says:

Did the same thing, but after 4 episodes I had to give up. I just didn’t understand what everyone was going on about. And I like HORRIBLE things! I have sat through those random knockoff blockbuster movies on Netflix. My bar is not high.

• S says:

agreed. the first season was filth. Will not be tuning in next time around.

• MrKnify says:

The dark gritty, but hometown backyard feel works in the shows favor. You will either like or dislike the show. I enjoy watching, not all at once due to I have a life…. (troll) The main aspect that keeps me is the supernatural sense to this series, with a deeper then a shallow grave plot.

You too can learn to enjoy a show, if not go make your own.

• ed rappaport says:

I LOVE SHELLY; CANNOT WAIT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS TO HER; HOPE SHE IS OK
      FANTASTIC SERIES
      ED

2. Pretty stoked about this. Not the best show but definitely a good watch. First few episodes were slow and the writing is kinda sloppy but I watched it all in a day and I was entertained, Glad it got picked up for a second season.

• Valerie says:

i know! i watched it all in a day too lol! but i think it pretty entertaining and interesting. frikken love the mysteriousness of this show too.

3. Midori says:

Ummm… why? This was the one Netflix show that no one cared about.

• David says:

No darling that show was called Lilyhammer. It may not have any acclaim like House of Cards but it was very popular, even had higher initial viewing than HoC.

• kirkland says:

If you guys didn’t like this show obviously you have no life to sit here and comment about when you all said you watched four episodes.

4. CR says:

I don’t know why but I am completely stoke by this. Did I think it was one hot mess of a show? Absolutely. Could I take my eyes off it? Not at all. Hopefully we will get some answers on what the hell they did to Sally to make her a glowworm.

• Sansa says:

Couldn’t agree more! It was a hot mess, but I loved every minute of it!

• Rain says:

These are my exact thoughts! It was such a crazy mess but I was mesmerized by it and watched the whole thing in a day! I really want to know what they did to Sally, I was so disappointed when they ended without explaining because I thought they weren’t going to renew!

• Leonessa says:

I have to admit that the direction of the show was always shifting, the plots were over the top and the number and circumstance of character deaths were shocking… The show is a classic trainwreck, no matter how many times I told myself… ‘they wouldn’t do that’ and they did anyway, I kept watching. Glad there is a season two, I need answers!

• Katie_Mead says:

The writing was sub-par, the directing was terrible, the acting veered uncontrollably from underplayed to over-hammed, there were far too many producers from too many different genres; and it looked cheap and nasty.

Having said all that …

I watched it all compulsively in one sitting – apart from a few toilet breaks or trips to the kettle – and have been waiting on tenterhooks to hear whether this 2nd season was coming or not. Phew! I’m so glad it is!

• A.M.C. says:

If I’m not mistaken it was Christina “the wolf” they took to the lab. not shelly. Shelly is already a glowworm. She ran off when she got shot by the sheriff, remember? she disappeared. don’t remember a “Sally” on the show. looking forward to season 2. hope they picked up where they left off.

5. The Beach says:

Talk about a study in contrasts. Netflix puts on two original dramas: One (House of Cards) was one of the best I’ve seen in a long time and then this one I struggled through two episodes and quit.

• CR says:

*** House of Cards spoiler *** I was really enjoying House of Cards until they killed of the congressman. I just can’t get passed that a politician dies in the passenger seat of his car in a DC garage, and no one seems to question why he was in the passenger seat and why there were no prints to be found in the driver’s side. How would that not be investigated as a homicide? That’s not to say it is not a far superior show to Hemlock Grove, it just left a bad taste in my mouth. Hemlocke Grove was just campy fun for me, but I will in no one defend it as a quality program, it was far from it.

• Mike R. says:

Campy fun does not have to e a bad thing, I personally didn’t enjoy Hemlock Grove, but I do enjoy campy shows, if people like it, who am I to tell other people what to watch.

• Weezy says:

I think you need a little dose of reality…alot of Congressman are simply pawns in the real world. The real power is behind the scenes and doesn’t make themselves known. Take a look. You’ll be amazed how many people have died suspiciously in DC over the years without any sort of investigation…

6. Jenn says:

Sheeet

7. bobbie says:

Well, Hemlock Grove was not a show I originally intended to watch, but someone recommended it, so I did. Got caught up in the intrigue, and found it to be interesting, and wanting a Season 2. So, yay for season 2.

8. Weezy says:

For all the people complaining about Hemlock Grove, I think it’s because you didn’t watch enough of it. The first few episodes were slow and really confusing, but the last few episodes were intense and brought everything full circle. The ending certainly left me with my mouth on the floor, and I can typically guess the direction most shows are going in. Totally surprising and certainly left me waiting for more…Glad to see it’s going to get another season.

9. Brooke says:

I liked Hemlock Grove. It’s not an award worthy show and it really had pacing problems with how it dragged mid-season, but I liked the atmosphere and the strangeness. I don’t know what is left for them to cover in a second season, but I will watch.

10. Has House of Cards been picked up for a second season? I haven’t heard anything.

11. Rain says:

This just made my morning! I know the show was crazy and sloppy and super campy, but that’s what made it so fun to watch!

12. Dizzle says:

I still don’t understand anything that happened but it was definitely a good time!

13. Tobi says:

Does anyone know if they’ll have a season two of bad sameritains?

14. ed rappaport says:

I LOVE HEMLOCK GROVE; LOVE SHELLY; HOPE TO SEE MORE
    ED

15. dea says:

If you really were confused and couldnt figure everything out in the end then I honestly think your an idiot. If you pay attention it all makes sense. Its really not that difficult. I loved it and thought it was an amazing series. I can wait for season 2.

16. Heidi Barwell says:

I loved Hemlock Grove. Can’t wait for season 2. I am a fan of Walking Dead and True Blood. Bring on Season 2!

17. Carla says:

I loved the series. They filmed the best and most realistic vision of a werewolf change I’ve ever seen. So glad there will be a season 2.

18. Miss Priss says:

I loved the cinematography and special effects; they found an authentically trashy trailer, the swampiest forest and fabulous mansion to film in. I especially loved that they were true to the spirit of Mary Shelly’s book. Hemlock’s Frankenstein is an intelligent and empathetic creature who is misunderstood by the rubes around him, instead of the grunting villain Hollywood made him out to be, and the show plays with gender, class and beauty in lovely and unexpected ways.

I do question why the victims on the show were mainly women; that Rothian touch was a drag, since the women on the show were all terrific. Roth isn’t writing or directing for the most part, so even with his name on it Hemlock Grove is still very interesting to watch. But what amazed me most is that Landon Liboiron, the emo kid from Terra Nova, is so great in this. Kaniehtiio Horn is Linda Fiorentino’s twin and is terrific on Defiance and on Hemlock.

19. sdass says:

Just one of the worst shows I’ve ever seen. The writing was beyond awful, and the acting was utterly horrible. The chemistry between Famke and her co-star is extremely forced, and the director just doesn’t seem to know how to push a narrative.

20. Jared says:

I just started watching Hemlock Grove (on episode 5) and am really loving it so far. Bill Skarsgard is amazing in this role and love the chemistry between himself,Peter and Shelly. I initially heard a lot of mixed reviews but so far is keeping my interest. Glad to see Netflix give it a second season. That’s part of the reason I started to watch in the first place knowing the story will be continued.