Fall TV Poll | Wednesday: Arrow Vs. Miles Matheson and Other DVR Dilemmas

Fall TV Schedule 2013 WednesdaysThe Fall TV season will be here before you know it, and with it comes tough, new viewing choices. In fact, the time to get thinking about them is now.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Been Cancelled?

Each day this week, TVLine will present the grid for that night’s fall line-up, including Big 5 fare and select cable listings. You then vote for what you plan to watch ”live” during each time slot.

(If you fancy yourself a DVRnista and are horribly, irrevocably hung up on my use of the word “live,” I invite you to instead vote for your “Top Priority” in each time slot. Semantics problem solved!)

RELATED | TVLine’s Full Fall TV Grid: Your Guide to What’s on When and Versus What

WTWwednesday2013NOTES ABOUT THE WEDNESDAY GRID: This represents face-offs taking place for at least six weeks of the fall TV season; that’s why, for example, Franklin & Bash (which finales in late August) is not included. Details on new shows (indicated in RED) can be found at these links: American Horror Story: Coven, Back in the Game, Ironside, Super Fun Night, The Tomorrow People

RELATED | Fall TV Poll: Tuesday — NCIS Vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. and Other DVR Dilemmas

1. brb123 says:

I’ll watch Arrow and The Tommorow People live. Might check Ironside at 10PM or just watch something else..

2. Jared says:

Arrow
    Modern Family
    SVU
    American Horror Story

3. Ashley says:

Arrow & the tomorrow people but I will DVR Back in the Game solely b/c I love Maggie Lawson. Though it is going to be painful seeing her on a show besides Psych after 7 seasons of her playing Jules. :(

4. nick1372 says:

ABC comedies from 8 to 9:30, and… that’s it.

For me, at least, it’s official. Wednesdays have replaced Tuesdays as the TV dead zone (quality-wise, of course. Not ratings-wise, there’s still a long ways to go in that respect).

5. One of the best thing in Arrow’s, is psychological drama of the characters, conflicts to Their Decisions are end up as real. I love Laurel and Oliver together, there are a couple “cute”, but a couple Who could pass for you by in the street why it is the real relation.

6. Amber says:

I’ll try out Back in the Game, just to support Maggie Lawson. But honestly, if it lasts through a full season, I’ll be surprised. Hopefully the pilot is a lot better than the trailer.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I was thinking the same thing – I hope things work out well for Maggie Lawson. I’ve watched her over the years – pretty good, likable actress.

If Back in the Game can hold onto the majority of ‘The Middle’ audience and demo, it will at least ‘survive’, if not thrive. Honestly, I think ABC will have their hands full trying to figure out what to do with ‘Super Fun Night’.

I look at those numbers TVLINE just tallied – the audience drop off from Modern Family to Super Fun Night? That’s (I believe) thus far the largest drop off in viewer interest of any show-to-show in the TVLine polling. That may help keep the attention off BITG as ABC scrambles to figure out what to place in that 9:30 slot in November.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

BACK IN THE GAME is my #2 new comedy thus far. Maggie is adorable.

7. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Something interesting to consider when reviewing these TVLine polling numbers – the ‘drop-off’ [or build-up] in the numbers from one show leading into [or out of] another.

I believe the largest drop off in TVLine viewer interest thus far has been from Modern Family leading into Super Fun Night. There was also quite a large drop off in the number from SHIELD leading into The Goldbergs. If these TVLine tallies foreshadow [and I think they will] what the overall demo numbers will be for Super Fun and Goldbergs this fall, ABC could have their hands full trying to figure out what to do on these two [Tuesday & Wednesday] key nights.

I’m awaiting tomorrow’s Thursday poll – I want to see what the CW numbers look like for TVD and Reign. I have my hunch what will happen, but I want to see the numbers. Then I think we’ll know what’s coming for CW this fall on Thursday night.

Also, the numbers for Parenthood and Elementary vs Scandal. As we see here with the Wednesday numbers, it’s really hard for three shows in any given time slot to do well – just not enough viewers to go around. Two shows can ‘thrive’ in a given time slot, but three is hard – someone always ends up losing viewers – leading to cancellation (or a move to another day/time). Thursday night at 10pm is going to be a battle.

• Len says:

Except TVLine almost never represents or even comes close to final ratings with its polls. The TVLine users are not typical tv viewers. Nor do they represent the average tv watcher that makes up the ratings.

I won’t bother to list the thousands of polls, but I’ll remain relative to this poll and say, jut look at where xafactor was placed, compared to how we all know how it is going to end up in the real ratings, at or near the top.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Agree – these tallies show little interest in the reality shows, but as you noted, we know the numbers for the reality shows will be very strong. So, these tallies are not going to reflect the final ratings outcome of Voice, or XFactor or Survivor.

However, they do give us a ‘relative’ number regarding viewers ‘changing channels’. The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife may be an example. Trophy Wife numbers actually went up off the lead out of Goldbergs. Are those TVLine viewers switching from another show (reality show or otherwise), or just showing a pattern of interest from one show off another within the same network?

I don’t think these tallies show us exact inter-network-vs-network numbers that we could ‘take to the bank’, but I think these numbers could show ‘intra-network’ patterns of viewer interest. Perhaps I’m reading too much into the numbers, but as I looked them over, what popped out at me was the rise/fall of tallies within a network over a given night.

The numbers (for example) for ABC on Tuesday were up for SHIELD, went down for Goldbergs, and then went back up again for Trophy Wife. I’ve got nothing against ‘The Goldbergs’ (I’ll be watching it to see how it looks and will give it a chance), but anytime a network sees their ratings go up, down, and then back up again on a given night, that’s a red flag for a network programmer.

8. Melody Paris says:

After the crazy busy DVR schedule of Tuesdays, it’s nice to have a light night on Wednesdays. I DVR everything.
    7 pm – Arrow
    8 pm – The Tomorrow People and Criminal Minds (probably would be Tomorrow People live if I had too)

And that’s it. Probably add in a Tuesday DVR’d show.

• Watching PoI, AHS or Nashville at 9pm live - that's pretty cool says:

Just noticed something in your list – 7pm and 8pm start times for Arrow and Tomorrow/CM. I guess you live in the Mountain Time region. I’ve traveled there (Colorado Springs, Boise) quite often on business a few years ago, and it is nice to be able to get to sleep a bit early and still be able to watch or DVR ’10pm’ shows at 9pm. :)

Also, I noticed the sun goes down a bit later in the evening in the summer than I was used to (I live out here in the Pacific/California region) – being right at the edge [Idaho Panhandle] of the time zone demarc line between Mtn Time and Pacific Time. The sun was still out that early summer night, and it was almost 9pm!

9. meatwad says:

i’ll watch revolution live, i always end up watching Arrow episodes multiple times. So excited for Tomorrow People.

10. shump says:

8 Survivor
    9 Revolution on dvr
    9:51 pee and snack
    10 AHS
    11 Arrow
    11:47 The Tomorrow People

11. Ram510 says:

The Middle, Modern Family Nashville live, DVR Arrow and Tomorrow People. I’ll catch AHS on a repeat at some point. After that terrible 2nd season I’m not excited for this upcoming one at all at this point. I think it’s sad that CBS NBC and Fox offer nothing interesting to watch on Wednesday nights

12. Name That Tune says:

Only looking forward to Arrow.

13. Samantha says:

Can’t wait for Arrow, with the aftermath of Tommy’s death and Oliver/Felicity, of course!!!

14. A fan says:

Wednesday a slow night. I’ll be watching Arrow, AHS, and Tomorrow People, in that order of “importance”.

15. G says:

Survivor, Criminal Minds, and CSI will be watched kinda live (DVR everything), and will also be watching Arrow, Modern Family, and Nashville. Wednesday night is going to keep me really busy!

16. Lyss says:

I am going to actually watch an ABC comedy now because of Maggie Lawson in Back in the Game, I think the plot can survive at least a season if it is good (which it should be because it’s Maggie Lawson!), but I’d be curious to see how long it can go without getting too much the same story every week! Hopefully being wedged between the Middle and Modern Family will help!

17. Ib Nancy says:

Why would any of these networks screw up their shows with having all these favourites on at the same time?? Seems like a couple are shooting themselves in the foot.
    Yes I’d rather watch Arrow over Revolution and Survivor in the same time slot, but I’ve been watching Survivor for over a decade and did like watching Revolution on Mondays as I don’t like NCIS.
    Seems to me that they have a great first year then if the show is costly we have to put it in a killer timeslot the 2nd year, lose it’s viewers then have justification to cancel the show. Did that with Fringe, Sara Connor etc…..but fooled you we all stuck with Fringe to the end!

• liz miller says:

I agree. The shows that have the right idea air their episodes several times, sometimes in different time and day slots to see where they work best, I suppose, and some re-airs (like wee hours) just to help those of us who had conflicts or missed the ONE primetime…

18. liz miller says:

Tomorrow People should be moved to different time and/or day! I watched pilot, as it did not conflict, but week 2 conflicts with Law & Order: Special Victims Unit AND Criminal Minds! I’m not missing them, and I cannot watch live tv while dvr-ing multiple items. Pilot was great, but not giving up my others! Also, your “vote” questions are nothing close to accurate, at least for me. I don’t watch anything live. I record everything and then forward through commercials. No live tv ever if I can help it.