Exclusive

Exclusive Photos: Will Defiance's (Very) White Wedding Go Off Without a Hitch?

Syfy cordially invites you to attend the wedding of Christie McCawley and Alak Tarr, this Monday on Defiance (at 9/8c) — and in the meantime, TVLine offers an exclusive peek at the bride and groom’s big day.

RELATED | Syfy Renews Defiance for Season 2

Though Christie, a human, and Alak, a Castithan, are genuinely in love, their respective pops — mine baron Rafe and power-hungry Datak — probably won’t be sharing a cigar at any rehearsal dinner. (That Datak is entertaining the union at all is merely because his son stands to inherit the mining biz… right?)

The wedding episode, however, relates an interesting incident from the gents’ past, but one of several surprises that surface after Lawkeeper Nolan and his deputy Tommy find the long-dead body of Kenya’s husband inside a wall at the Need/Want. (Get more scoop here.)

RELATED | Rachel Nichols on Continuum‘s ‘Very Big Problem’ and Kiera’s Meltdown

So as our headline asks: Will this wedding in fact go off without a hitch? Or, since the bride is not wearing a headpiece that is in keeping with Castithan tradition, will the shtako hit the fan?

Want more scoop on Defiance, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. RUCookie says:

Yes, Datak has been an true idiot and cruel SOB but this past week’s “rescue” was horrible. Can’t really come back from that mess…

2. katrina says:

This series has been a true disappointment. Can’t Syfy come up with something a little more family friendly? Can they spend a little more on writers?

• Ashleah Youn says:

SyFy isn’t a basic cable channel, so I don’t see why they need to have “family friendly” shows.

I’m really enjoying Defiance so far.

• Katherine215 says:

Right? I think there are plenty of family-friendly cable networks – ABCFamily immediately springs to mind, and there are plenty of other ones. Not everything in the world revolves around people’s kids.

• Skip says:

Actually, with the addition of “The Fosters”, I don’t know that I would classify ABC Family as family friendly either.

• Olive says:

Actually a-hole, with the addition of The Fosters, ABC family is more family-friendly since it’s more inclusive to all family types.

• Eleanor says:

YESSSSS! -“Not everything in the world revolves around people’s kids”

• John says:

Because if they paid the writers of Lost Girl more it would be different how?

The show’s outline is set before most of the writers are even on board.

• Chester says:

The show has great ratings for Syfy and is fun and interesting. Adults don’t want to watched toned-down, treacly shows for kids.

• Eleanor says:

If you don’t want your kids watching it then don’t let them, but don’t ruin it for the rest of us who are of age by raging for different writers. Other “Family friendly” channels exist on basic channels.

3. majamababe says:

I like it. There was a really great article on Wikapedia that gave the background and discussed all the different Volton races. I went back to re-read it, but it had been edited and all that information was taken out. I enjoy the show and will be looking forward to season 2 to see how things develop.

• Mellie says:

If you go to the SyFy website they have a whole section dedicated to the background history of the show. They describe the different alien races and where they come from. They also have a timeline set up which goes all the way back to the very beginning to the point when the aliens first realized there was a problem and they would need to leave their starsystem. It follows all the way up to when they first came to earth, how they tried to settle in and what happened that started the war. It was very detailed and informative and all of it was about a million times more interesting that what they are showing on TV.

• Adam says:

That’s probably because there is also the online videogame that exists, and the world in the videogame changes according to the events that happen in the television series (and I believe it is planned to work vice-versa). It’s a pretty interesting transmedia experiment.

4. Martin says:

So, there is no Non-Casthitans at the wedding except Rafe, Christy and Amanda… hmm interesting.

• Moxie says:

Not necessarily. We can only see one side of the aisle, which is lined with Castithans. It could be that there are other races on the other side… a bride’s side and a groom’s side.

• Alan says:

not really that surprising really,, that casthitans do their best to have nothing to do with anyone else so why should that be any different at a wedding.

5. Hmm, a wedding on ‘Game of Eureka’ (aka Defiance), you gotta make your weddings memorable these days…

6. Louise says:

Superficial comment, but her dress is very Kate Middleton, no?

7. shazzer says:

How old are Alak and Christie supposed to be? They seem really young, like teenagers. I guess things are different in a postapocalyptic universe.

8. Maryann says:

I have been incredibly impressed by the writing on this show — in my opinion on par with the very best of original Star Trek. It would be totally ruined if an attempt were made to make it “family friendly.”

9. Leigh says:

I have moments where I love this show and moments where I feel like it’s going for the most obvious. My favorite character is Stahma, who has proven to be the only one whose motives I can’t really discern, which is lovely. I hope they keep her for next season and I hope they keep Kenya, too, though the most obvious choice would be to kill one of these two and my gut tells me it’s likely to be the latter. Ah, well.