The Voice Season 4 Finale Recap: They're All Stars Tonight [Updated]

The Voice Season 4 Finale RecapIf I were back in Catholic grade school, I suspect Sister Mary Rita would’ve kept me after class and sentenced me to a half hour at the chalkboard this afternoon, writing: “It does not matter who wins Season 4 of The Voice. It does not matter who wins Season 4 of The Voice. It does not matter who wins Season 4 of The Voice.”

And Sister Rita, smart cookie that she was, would’ve had a point. After Monday night’s Live Finals, the Top 3 acts — Michelle Chamuel, Danielle Bradbery and The Swon Brothers — all managed to land two songs apiece in the iTunes Top 10 Singles chart. And that’s all the proof that’s needed to know that with a little hard work (and some top-notch material) (and the enthusiastic fiscal support of a major label against the shark-eyed stare of corporate radio) any or all of ‘em has a legit chance to be the first breakout success from NBC’s (still very young) reality singing competition.

RELATED | The Voice: Season 4′s 25 Best Performances!

[Side note: It's worth noting, as we discuss The Voice's hitmaking potential, that Season 1's relentlessly industrious Vicci Martinez has managed a fairly sizeable hit with her kickin' single, "Come Along." So booyah to that! And yes, I said "booyah," even if I'm not entirely sure why.]

But of course, from a different perspective — the perspective of those of us who’ve invested every Monday and Tuesday (and the occasional Wednesday) night since mid-March obsessing over every last song choice, glory note and lyrical interpretation by the members of Teams Blake, Adam, Usher and Shakira — it actually did matter who won Season 4 of The Voice.

RELATED | The Voice‘s Sarah Simmons on Rolling Stones & Gotye Covers, Soundtrack Dreams and More!

The good news, though, was that no matter your allegiance, the two-hour spectacle that padded what was essentially Carson Daly’s 20-second results announcement proved undeniably, joyously entertaining.

A dozen mostly top-notch performances led into the final results announcement of the season. Shall we cut to the action? Let’s!

Pitbull and Christina Aguilera (featuring a boatload of confetti): “Feel This Moment” | I always like when Xtina gets a little bit rowdy, and while her streetwalker-on-top/secretarial-school-dropout-on-bottom ensemble was a bit of a fright, the hiatus-ing Voice coach brought the hook of Pitbull’s dancey-dancey jam to full-bodied life. Mr. Worldwide, meanwhile, threw his hands in the air, waved ‘em round like he just didn’t care and spat a rhyme or two when the track required. Nice work (and nice duds) if you can get it. Grade: B+ (half-step upgrade for choice use of an A-HA sample)

The Swon Brothers (joined by Amber Carrington, Holly Tucker and Justin Rivers): Lady Antebellum’s “Stars Tonight” | The verses got a little choppy with the five-vocalist split, but the season’s country-leaning standouts didn’t miss a single note among ‘em, and looked like they were genuinely enjoying the jam sesh. Grade: A-

OneRepublic and Michelle Chamuel: “Counting Stars” | I usually like Ryan Tedder better as a producer than as a vocalist, but he threw every bit of himself into this Mumford-pop ditty, and gave the Lady Chamuel multiple opportunties to steal the spotlight with her sparkly red pants and innate ability to get inside a lyric. Grade: A

Florida Georgia Line (featuring Nelly): “Cruise” | My least favorite performance of the night was a little wobbly vocally and a lot hokey in execution. Let’s hope the Swon Brothers can beat FGL on American Ninja Warrior and take their spot at mainstream country radio. Can I get an “Amen”? Grade: C+

Vedo, Garrett Gardner, Josiah Hawley and Kris Thomas: The Temptations’ “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” | Methinks this was The Voice producers’ not-so-subtle commentary on the horrors of Lazaro, Devin and Burnell’s catastrophic Motown Night trio on Season 12 of American Idol. And while, yeah, The Voice dudes definitely outdid Mr. Pitchy ForgottenLyrics, I didn’t feel like the actual song suited any of ‘em except for Vedo. Grade: B-

Danielle Bradbery (joined by Amber Carrington, Sarah Simmons and Caroline Glaser): Carrie Underwood’s “All-American Girl” | I loved the genuine camaraderie this quartet displayed while lending their very distinct (yet all extremely powerful) instruments to a honey-sweet Carrie Underwood song. I forgot how much I’d missed Sarah’s banshee rumble. And Amber’s insanely big note on the final “Honey, you oughtta know” sent me into what can only be described as some sort of rapture. Grade: A

Bruno Mars: “Treasure” | Has Bruno Mars and his amazing crew ever been anything but absolutely stellar? Bonus points to the gents for pulling off red suits with leopard shirts — a task I would’ve expected to find camped out at the corner of Impossible and Deluded. Grade: A

Bob Seger & The Swon Brothers: “Night Moves” | What’s the perfect bookend to a jaunty Bruno Mars disco moment? How about the venerable ’70s rocker and The Voice‘s best-finishing duo just hanging out on some stools, jamming out to a song that never fails to make me want to wave a lighter when it gets to that plinking piano and crescendoing drums leading into the final vamping refrain. Good stuff. Grade: A-

Cathia, Judith Hill, Sasha Allen & Karina Iglesias: En Vogue’s “My Lovin’ (You’re Never Gonna Get It)” | Raise your hand if you miss classic girl groups like En Vogue and Brownstone and Jade and even Destiny’s Child. Now raise your other hand if this insanely good performance from a quartet of Season 4 also-rans had you thinking, “Maybe there’s a gap in the pop-music market these chicas could fill?” Given that her last couple of efforts on the Voice stage were a little lackluster, Cathia surprised me the most, proving every bit as potent as her more-heralded rivals but quite possibly taking home the statue for Sassiest Delivery. Also: If this girl-group dream isn’t going to be a reality, can we start a petition to compel NBC to get Judith, Karina, Sasha and Cathia into the studio to cut an iTunes rendition? Grade: A+ (or as Mariah Carey would call it, “A-plus-mazing.” Ugh.)

Hunter Hayes and Danielle Bradbery: “I Want Crazy” | As adorable as a puppy in a basket, as shimmery as a breeze blowing over a wheat field, as fresh as a mid-June strawberry. Those are just a few ways one might describe this very pleasant — although not exactly revelatory — duet. If Danielle’s not a Neutrogena spokesmodel by Thanksgiving, then I don’t know anything about anything anymore. Grade: B+

Michelle Chamuel (joined by Cathia, Vedo and Josiah Hawley): Stevie Wonder’s rendition of The Beatles’ “We Can Work It Out” | I was a little iffy about the arrangement when the members of Team Usher began their performance, but they quickly loosened up, caught the vibe and looked as though they were having more fun than anyone who took the stage all night. Grade: A-

CHER: “Woman’s World” | Grade: N/A (alas, Cher speaks to every gay fiber of my being, and I have no objectivity when it comes to her oeuvre…I will admit to downloading the song earlier tonight on iTunes, and already having tallied 17 plays to date. Yep, look for that on Twitter under #IHaveIssues.)

Top 3 Revelations/Observations From the Episode/Season
3. Cher’s wig should totally be Cee Lo’s animal mascot in Season 5.

2. Season 5 needs the following: A “steal” for the knockout rounds; a ban on any song covered more than one prior time in The Voice‘s first four seasons; a committment to letting contestants be more inventive and less riskaverse when it comes to song selection and arrangement.

1. NBC Needs to get The Blake Shelton Variety Hour on its 2014 schedule. I was howling laughing at the country coach’s guesstimated definitions of Shakira’s two-dollar words from the season. “A conundrum a drum used in Latin music,” Blake drawled, while also discribing “didactic” as a laxative fruit, “diaphanous” as a character on Sesame Street, and juxtaposition as a Colombian word for “just a position.” Writing these jokes out does them no justice; in Blake’s hands, they’re hilarious.

And finally, the results:

Third Place
The Swon Brothers (not a surprise)

Second Place
Michelle Chamuel

Season 4 Winner
Danielle Bradbery, giving Blake his third victory in four Voice seasons

“I don’t even know right now,” a stunned Danielle said to Carson as he tried to get her thoughts. “I’m so thankful. I’m sorry. I’m speechless.”

And after a full season of recapping, I’m out of words, too. So let me turn things over to you. What did you think of Season 4 finale night? Did the right contestant win it all? Sound off in the comments, and for all my reality-related news, recaps, interviews and videos — including Q&As with Amber, Michelle, The Swon Brothers and Danielle — follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (313)

• My favorite from the finalists every season of The Voice never win the title. They seem to always get 2nd place =/. Michelle Chamuel, Dia Frampton, Juliet Simms, and Terry McDermott are all amazing! They’re all winners. They all won the hearts of many and they are all true artists.
    Anyway, congrats to Danielle! She’ll probably get better and maybe even show some emotion when she sings, especially if she writes her own songs.

Comment by Voice Fan – June 18, 2013 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for not drinking the haterade like many of the posters here. Congrats to Michelle, she is really geeky cool. The voters got it right. Danielle is the WINNER! :)

Comment by #TEAMDANIELLE – June 18, 2013 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m glad you said the “voters” because I’m tired of people blaming America. Not the entire country watch/votes on these TV shows. Some people just enjoy the show and watch it. I’m a fan of Michelle, but I wasn’t upset that she got 2nd place. I can’t wait to hear what’s next for her and for her future album! I’m sure she’ll make/write some awesome songs. All the songs she sang in the show were all amazing and inspiring. She definitely puts her heart and soul into each performance.
        Congrats to Danielle for winning the show though!

Comment by Someone who watches The Voice – June 19, 2013 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny but I never noticed how tall Josiah is until he was lined up with his Usher Teammates in that group number. Either the rest of Usher’s team is really tiny or maybe Josiah could give the NBA a shot if his singing career doesn’t work out:)

Comment by The Beach – June 19, 2013 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael there already is an act competing for next Destiny’s Child/En Vogue/TLC spot in mainstream music and their name is Little Mix;

NHF this Karina, Cathia, Judith, Sasha nonsense

Comment by James – June 19, 2013 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Little Mix is quite boring and will be gone in a year or two. They have nothing any of those other groups had

Comment by Erin – June 19, 2013 01:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d really hoped this season would make a last surprise turn like The Voice of Holland season 3 and had the one who truly deserved to win take the title instead of the bland teenager who’s had a certain region of the country vote for only them. Michelle will always be my winner!

Comment by Erin – June 19, 2013 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Danielle Bradbery is just a truly a wonderful talent. She delivered every song perfectly, by far the most consistent performance I’ve seen in such competitions. The word prodigy is overused, but clearly appropriate here. On top of everything else, she seems like a wonderful, normal unaffected teenager. Congrats, Danielle!!

Comment by #TEAMDANIELLE – June 19, 2013 01:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Congrats #teamdanielle on finally making a post without mentioning “haterade.” Since you make so very many posts it’s gotten past boring. Please try out a dictionary or thesarus for new terms to belittle those who disagree with you. Prefering some one other than the contestant you are obsessed with doesn’t mean hate. Many times it’s just indifference. BTW listen to some recordings of Charlotte Church at 13. That is what a child prodigy is.

Comment by Zelda Gilroy – June 19, 2013 02:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Gosh dang! Let them have their fun for a Danielle win. The term Haterade is kind of funny. I remember Charlotte Church. What do you think of Jackie Evancho? Even Carly Rose from the X-factor?

Comment by Simon Cowell Jr – June 19, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks a bunch for posting this before it finished airing on the west coast.

I know it’s my own fault for habitually visiting tvline as I surf during commercials but man I wish there was a way to set a filter based on my time zone.

Comment by tstephen51 – June 19, 2013 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favourite part of this season, apart from the joy that is Shakira, has been these recaps. Thanks M.

Comment by Amy – June 19, 2013 02:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Danielle and Blake. If you want to win, you should choose team Blake. Also, the best 3 artists look like great people. You could see The Swon Brothers and Michelle were truly happy for Danielle and Danielle was so cute. Congrats to all of them.

Comment by Deb – June 19, 2013 02:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reality is, Usher is going to make Michelle a star. At the very least, he is so obsessed with her that he’s going to skin her and wear her s it won’t be the last we see of her.

Here’s hoping he pushes his prior pretege in a Beiber-sized hole and brings Michelle in to be his follow up.

Comment by Amy – June 19, 2013 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Right winner? Depends.

1. Based on the remaining 3 contestants … YES.
    2. Based on the contestants that got to the live show … NO, not even close.

Comment by jj – June 19, 2013 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cant even believe they are bringing back celo and christina!
    Usher and Shakira did an awesome job!!!

Comment by karen – June 19, 2013 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved everything about the show. That’s Entertainment !! I cried when I heard Bob Seger with The Swons. Did you see how pumped they were to work with him. Blake is a good coach. So was Usher. Either act could have one and I’d be happy. Oh, yes, I thought Cher retired. That was just sad. This was my first season. I will be back!

Comment by JAO – June 19, 2013 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE VOICE is DEAD TO ME….never watching again :)

Comment by Jose – June 19, 2013 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another boring predictable result to The Voice -___- For once I would like a shocker winner. But then I’m use to the people I like on The Voice getting into the finale and being out voted by the boring predictable winner.

Can not WAIT to see what Usher does with Michelle \o/

Comment by Mel – June 19, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, we might never really know.

Comment by Ohmy – June 19, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably nadda. Michelle will go back making sandwiches and may sing if you go to that coffee shop.

Comment by Simon Cowell Jr – June 19, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • missed the tears of joy from Danielle. almost think she has so little emotion she couldn’t react as normal winners do. she could put out her annoying fake smile but didn’t want to sing her “coronation” song. wish she could get involved with Scotty McCreepy. They would make a great pair, nrither felt emotion over their winning.

Comment by Venus – June 19, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry about my lack of proper punctuation.

Comment by Venus – June 19, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t know if anyone noticed but a lot of the acts take the feedback pieces out of their ear, including Bruno Mars and the guy in the hat. That has to tell you something about their sound system and engineering. I’ve stated before and I’ll continue to believe that NBC needs to fix that sound system for the show or replace the engineers. Something is not right there. AND, quiet the crowd and stop with all the arm waving.

Comment by senor skippy – June 19, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I notice one week that big SWon guy pulled that ear phone from his ear when he was singing. You called it feedback pieces? I’m a new kid, can you explain what it it and does? Thanks.

Comment by Simon Cowell Jr – June 19, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michelle should have won. Unique, dynamic on stage. Hope Usher/TPTB do something to make a career for her.

My 3 changes for next season (already being taped so obviously not happening):

1) The mentors/judges need to give truthful critiques to all performers and should refrain from pushing/hyping their own team members aside from supporting them.

2) More variety of material, no repeated performances by any contestant (that they’ve already song during the course of the show), tone down the band – for a show called “The Voice” it’s often hard to hear them!

3) itunes voting is an interesting idea but it’s disenfranchising to those without means (songs are only $1.29, but still, they’re $1.29!); sales are meaningless as a forecast of future chart success since people are only buying to secure votes. Similarly, text voting available on only one phone service is disenfranchising to those with other carriers (this has been true for American Idol as well – and also can cost money!). Leave voting in its limited vote/method to landline/cell/online and at least give the illusion of fairness.

Comment by Leela – June 19, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 1] Not happening. The Voice don’t want to go the Idol way of slamming contestants.
      2] I love the repeat songs. They should sing again and again. Just kidding.
      3] The itunes votes is a good way to gauge the sales of the contestants.

Comment by Simon Cowell Jr – June 19, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finished with this, and maybe all singing shows. I don’t want to watch Nashville Star. Nothing could make me watch this show again. But all singing competitions, now that I think of it, are pretty boring? How did I get addicted? Who knew that this show, specifically all the fine singers getting eliminated and Michelle not winning, could be the cure? Free at last.

Comment by Lois Benton – June 19, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oK here’s the thing. Danielle has a really good voice no doubt about it, but she was not the best singer on this show this season. IMO that honor belonged to Judith Hill and Amber Carrington. My problem with Danielle was she was just asked to sing, take no chances and play it safe. America ate it up. (And I’m beginning to believe that the audience for these kind of shows is shifting even more to country fed southern and heartland America. All you have to do is look back on all the country acts that have won or finished near the top of singing competitions the last few years. And if any of you recall, Cassedee Pope began to run away with the Voice last season when she started sounding countrified.) The people who view these shows trash singers who never try anything different or they sing, according to them,the same old songs, but Danielle got a free ticket. The risk takers like Amber and Judith got booted for being creative. American viewers are hypocrites when it comes to their critiques. (They let Danielle get away with murder. She sounded the same on all her songs to me. Again I think she has a terrific voice.) Michelle was not the best singer on the show but was by far the most interesting. ( I do think she can really sing and her WHY was terrific.) Thus for me Michelle should have won because rarely does America vote for the best singer. Whether true or not, I have rarely seen a contestant on one of these shows get more help from the show itself. Maybe it was by accident but she got EVERY advantage a performer could get. Go ahead Danielle fans throw your bricks at me but if you are honest you know I’m right. She would have won anyway. Now go back and look at the singers who won under Blake’s tutelage. Jermaine? You are kidding me right? He was one of my LEAST favorite contestants that season and to tell the truth, and at the time I was recording the episodes to watch back, he gave some really awful performances. Then look at Cassadee Pope. Really? I like Cassadee. Should she have won? NO WAY! Another singer I wasn’t crazy about but being on Blake’s team wins you a lot of that.country fed southern and heartland America vote. I truly believe had Jermaine, Cassadee and Danielle been on a different team they would not have won. Had Amber been on Blakes team I believe she would have won and it was not just about song choice. But YOU ALL must admit most of the songs Blake chooses for his contestants are SAFE SAFE, SAFE.

Comment by Jaxguy – June 19, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with this entire post Jaxguy. Except for the Xtina/Pitbull performance, which I really enjoyed! :)

Comment by Fran – June 19, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Voice is like a chess match. Strategic planning is involved. It’s not how many songs from different genres you can belt out to show you can sing. Blake knows what the voters wants, he picks songs that fits his team and their image. Why change your direction if it’s successful? Adam had the team to beat, but he beat himself with poor song choices or let the contestants picked the wrong songs… like Judith and Amber. Danielle is 16 and her songs were safe older country songs and she sang with perfection. I would not of mind Danielle singing a few more up tempo country tunes similar to ‘Born To Fly’ during the past weeks. Yes, your may be right. Blake should take a risk and have Danielle take on Alanis Morissette ‘You Oughta Know’ LOL! If the KISS or the SAFE SAFE SAFE method does the trick for the win. Heck why not. Also, the iTunes vote charting helps coaches select the right song choices their singers too. Appears Blake uses this measuring stick to a science.

Comment by Simon Cowell Jr – June 19, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with most of what you’re saying, Jax, but I think we need to differentiate between risks that work and risks that don’t work. Amber singing a studio song like Firework did her in. And Judith singing a Bieber / Will.i.am piece of poop song did her in. Risks are good for the audience, but only when they work, and their risks (facilitated by Mr. Levine) did them no favors. Not arguing that Amber and Judith were not talented, because they both clearly are, but hey, risks are risky! None of them came close to comparing to Amanda Brown’s Dream On cover, a risk that worked.

Comment by Angie_Overrated – June 19, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rounding off the numbers about 4% of America watched this show with approx. 5% watching the finale. That means 95% to 96% of America, the vast majority, wasn’t watching or voting. Please stop saying America when you’re refering to such a small part of it.
      In a way, the “Blake’s people always win” may be a self fulfilling prophecy. Viewers who don’t like anyone on his team may be discouraged from voting. Add in the itunes sales, as the season progresses if one singer is dominating the sales the result seems set so why vote? Or even watch? The ratings drop as the season goes on but go up the finish so that’s possible evidence.

Comment by Zelda Gilroy – June 20, 2013 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good point but remember Gallup only polls a few thousand people and it often represents the trends of the entire country. And Adam didn’t mean he hated the country when he said he “hated America.” He was hating the people who vote for the Voice. So in that regard that’s what I mean by America. I work in a large retail establishment that sells music and believe me the public is predictable and the majority buy what they are told is good and ignore creative. Just read these blogs and you will hear over and over again the “boring” statements when it comes to the less popular singers on these shows.Covering Beiber or doing a disastrous “Fireworks,” should not have sank Judith and Amber. If it’s a safe generic formula that wins these shows, and it doesn’t surprise me, then we deserve the crap that we are forced to listen to on the radio. I gave up radio years ago when it became a corporate puppet and lost it’s originality and in my southern city we don’t have a college station to fall back on. As long as radio is terrible and I can’t justify paying for radio I will stick with finding new music by word of mouth.

Comment by Jaxguy – June 20, 2013 04:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Covering Bieber or Fireworks is not unboring. The performance still has to be captivating. Singing overdone songs is not interesting. That doesn’t mean everything else is interesting. Sometimes posters will want a singer to stop doing the same type of song. But if they do something else and it is a disaster, then that is still not good! They might get some credit for at least trying something different, but if they were already in danger of going home it might not be enough.

Comment by teatime – June 20, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And so you all can hate me even more, that Pitbull song with Christina was a piece of garbage. I HATED IT.

Comment by Jaxguy – June 19, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its a hit song and a great dance song – You might not like that kind of music but it makes you want to get up and move – on the dance floor or the treadmill

Comment by Steve – June 19, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Danielle has good voice, and is likable enough, but I think the winner should have been Michelle, Judith or Amber. They brought so much more to their performances than everyone else, including Danielle. Saying that Danielle “connected” with the audience is irrelevant, given that a large part of this audience seems to “connect” with anything that is country or fits their definition of “wholesome”. The Voice failed yet again at picking a relevant winner, because the people voting do not represent the taste of your typical music listener, even in the world of country. I doubt that a group like FGL would have made it far on The Voice (certainly not with Blake who would have dumped them in the knockout rounds), yet look how popular they are on the country circuit. I’d really like to see Blake take a break from the Voice and by “take a break”, I mean find a country artist other than Miranda to replace him.

Comment by Fran – June 19, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But the voters have decided. Danielle is the Voice. It’s not about the HAIR (Judith), the SQUATS (Michelle), Amber had Adam as a coach. He failed her with a few poor song choices and left the voters confused as to what genre was she? How about Keith Urban to replace Blake? Country is not the country of the Hee Haw the show days. It’s not the Roy Clark, Buck Owens, Minnie Pearl days. Today’s Country is cross over pop, rock. Even country/rap. Faith Hill, Shania, Leann Rimes, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum, The Band Perry, etc. Look at Darius Rucker and Kelly Clarkson going the country way.

Comment by Simon Cowell Jr – June 19, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ita! @Simon Cowell Jr. NO ONE hated country more than this city slicker and then my teen started playing it in the car & in the house. I was aghast! I was like no one in Chicago listens to country! LOL and then I saw what you are saying, it’s not that HeeHaw crap anymore. It’s pop, it’s crossover rock, it’s different these days. And I like it! :)

Comment by gailer – June 19, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Given that her last couple of efforts on the Voice stage were a little lackluster, Cathia surprised me the most, proving every bit as potent as her more-heralded rivals but quite possibly taking home the statue for Sassiest Delivery.”
    She always had that sort of sassy delivery and stage presence. And it was easy to tell all along that Sasha was good too. Even if took until the last minute, at least they are all getting some credit finally from almost everyone here hah.
    Still hard to believe that half of them were the earliest cuts of all and the other half didn’t make the finale or even semi-finals for one.

Comment by HTGR – June 19, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, they sounded so polished and well rehearsed. They knew their parts, never sounded tentative, and hit every note with strength and conviction.

Comment by Jay – June 19, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cher is my favorite female celebrity on the planet, but I thought the song was meh.

Comment by lyn – June 19, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MICHAEL, YOU PROBABLY WONT SEE THIS BUT I WANT TO KNOW IF CHER SANG LIVE OR NOT (YES I LISTENED TO IT 10X BEFORE LAST NIGHT AND IM EXPECTING DRAG QUEENS EVERYWHERE TO BE PERFORMING IT THIS WEEKEND AT THE CLUBS AND THE GAYS FIST POUNDING TO IT TOO)…I THOUGHT SHE WAS DEFINITELY LIP SYNCING TO A TRACK ;SHE WAS INTERVIEWED ONLINE BY ACCESS HOLLYWOOD AND IMPLIED SHE WAS SINGING LIVE AND THAT HER VOICE WASNT AS STRONG, ESPECIALLY IN THE BEGINNING. SO WHICH IS IT? IS SHE LYING? WAS THERE A TRACK AND SHE WAS JUST SINGING ALONG WITH IT, ESP BECAUSE OF THE ELECTRONIC MANIPULATIONS? BECAUSE IF SHE WAS LIP SYNCING, I THINK ANY PA AT NBC WOULD BE ABLE TO CONFIRM THAT

Comment by Steve – June 19, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michelle was my personal favorite, but Danielle and the Swons both deserved the win along with her. I honestly couldn’t get upset at any one of those 3 winning this thing. Danielle was superb all season and when she sang along with the other contestants she sounded more professional according to my ears. Michelle got exposure. A lot of it and she has a chance most artists will never have. If Usher was genuine in his praise towards her (and I think he was) he can produce and guide her career. As for The Swons, I don’t see superstardom, but I see a solid career singing the kind of music they love to sing for the rest of their lives. I thought this was easily the best season. From the judges to the contestants, there wasn’t much for me to get annoyed at other than sending Danielle into the audience to sing to her parents. That’s an Idol playbook move and not befitting of the Voice in my opinion. And boy did Idol miss out on Danielle. She would’ve cleaned the floor with some of the country artists they’ve been pushing on there. I even prefer Danielle to Kree and she makes Janelle look like an extra on Hee Haw.

Comment by Joe – June 19, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The truth is, this was the most talent-laden season of the Voice so far. Any one of the contestants can have a career with the right management and the right songs. I was rooting for Michelle the last few weeks, but knew Danielle was going to take the win, and I’m ok with it. I don’t think it matters in the end. Both will be stars and both should be.

Comment by TinLV – June 19, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘A’ for “American Girl”?!? Are you nuts? Aside from Danielle’s parts, those vocals were a mess. But I totally agree with your opinion of Cathia, Judith Hill, Sasha Allen & Karina Iglesias singing “You’re Never Gonna Get It”. They were awesome! I would buy that song in a heartbeat.

Comment by Jay – June 19, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michelle should have won, Danielle had a nice voice, but so did 90% of the blind auditions.. she wasn’t anything different, i don’t get how the last three winner have been just ok… maybe that’s why there has been a lack of overall success after the show is over…

Comment by Melissa – June 19, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like to wonder how they would have done on Idol, Michelle and Swons wouldn’t have lasted long and Danielle wasn’t “entertaining” enough either probably to win. The Voice as my 16 year old who is a music fan of every type of music says the Voice is just a lot cooler of a show. I agree, Congrats to all and I agree with MS that it really doesn’t matter who wins this show. Not sure if anyone will ever become super famous from it. We will see.

Comment by gailer – June 19, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Danielle has no stage presence to speak of. Michelle should have won on that alone – but she also had the better voice and wider range.

Sad.

Comment by Sheldon W. – June 19, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s really simple. Danielle has the xfactor that Simon wishes he could find. If she could be lucky enough to get a catchy song like Carly Rae Jepson’s “Call Me Maybe,” or from the country genre Taylor Swift’s “Our Song,” she could become countrys newest sweetheart. Her lovely voice and cute face have opened the doors, now she needs a little luck, a little help, and whole lot of hard work, and maybe, just maybe, next year we won’t be saying Danielle who?

Comment by thedeviledadvocate – June 19, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this was the best outcome for everyone.

Danielle, the 16 year old, wanted the win..likely more than the other two finalists combined. (In fact, it looked to me like Michelle wanted Danielle to win.)

The Voice gets someone who is very likely to sell records and legitimize The Voice. As much as I love Michelle, and I think Michelle is a better representation of what The Voice is about, I think Danielle is the easy sell. She’s a mini Carrie Underwood.

And Michelle gets the ability to have Usher guiding her career, rather than that awful Voice contract. (Which, when Danielle gets out of it….she’ll only be 20..where as Michelle would be 30..so..it’s better for Michelle to get a decent contract now.) This is obviously assuming that Usher will help Michelle, but I think it’s pretty obvious he will. (He’s suggested it plenty..)

Comment by Lynn – June 19, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve read that the winner gets a 100,000$ recording contract, but I wasn’t aware that it lasted for four years. That is only 25 thousand a year, and you can make that much at Walmart. I thought the 100K contract was a one year deal, but I don’t know anything LOL.

Comment by thedeviledadvocate – June 19, 2013 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I probably enjoy the comedy bits on these talent shows more than I should. Blake imitating Usher’s coaching techniques was hysterically funny. The week 6 promo entitled “The Voices” was one of the funniest and most unusual promos I’ve ever seen. Check out “The Voices” on YouTube if you haven’t seen it.

Comment by MC – June 19, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Correction. It was actually a top 6 promo, not week six.

Comment by MC – June 19, 2013 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the $100,000 was prize money in addition the recording contract. Does anyone know the details? How many albums in four years? Have the first 2 seasons winners been dropped?

Comment by Zelda Gilroy – June 20, 2013 01:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as Candice Glover wins, I’m good with whatever outcome.

Comment by joey – June 20, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wrong show, buddy.

Comment by Canadian Fan – June 20, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To Mr. Simon Cowell Jr., Amanda and Fran –

Mr. Cowell, I have defended your statements countless times even the so called “mean” ones because you tell the truth. I admire that and will continue to defend what you say because your interest is in helping the performer to grow and develop as an artist. In the music industry one needs to be able to handle hearing rough words at times. I’ve also heard you comment about the differences in performers and specifically, what you look for in a “fresh”, new performer. Some of those differences have been exactly what Amanda, Fran and you have described in the comments written here. They are the differences in never having had a voice lesson in your life, never having performed on a stage much less one like the Voice, and those people who are professionally and/or classically trained in voice or stage. The stage presence is clear immediately.

There is another side to you Mr. Cowell that I think is not hidden very well. That’s the side that looks for the innocence factor in the “fresh”, new performer. You may call it the IT factor hidden behind the smile. However, you once said there is genuine niceness behind the smile and I believe you look for that too. The IT factor isn’t jaded by the glamour, the lights and fame. The IT factor is real, down to earth, sweet and full of personality. It’s a daunting task to compete with professionals especially when you aren’t one. I thank all three of you for so eloquently making that point clear, it is important.

Congratulations Danielle!! Well done!!

Comment by Janet R. – June 20, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tink Danielle is a good winner but I would have preferred the Swon Bros to win.
    They are so awesome and their journey on this show has been amazing to watch! Talk about growth.
    BUt I am not worried about them, they will become big stars in country music just like Danielle. I heard the Bros will be in Nashville this Monday already and will most likely sign their record deal with a major label. Cannot wait for their album! Love those guys and their harmonies. Plus they are so likeable, that is recipe for success… The country world is receiving them with open arms.

Comment by Titina – June 21, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Danielle deserved the win. I thought her stage presence was great and appropriate fo the songs she sang. It forced us to focus on the song and the delivery of the song itself rather than stage antics.

I read another article somewhere that quoted Slezak saying that Michelle was like Chilean Sea Bass with avacaod, blah blah blah. First I have no idea what that means, and second, alof of people are liek me and we like meat and potatoes. Nothing fancy, just good soild performances week after week.

I will buy Danielle’s album)s) and believe she has a promising singing career ahead of her.

Comment by Rob – June 23, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post