General Hospital Puts Tyler Christopher on Contract -- A Bad Sign for The Lying Game?

Tyler Christopher General Hospital ContractTyler Christopher has been put on contract at ABC’s General Hospital, where earlier this year he returned to the role of soulful prince Nikolas Cassadine — and thus a darker cloud now looms over ABC Family’s on-the-bubble The Lying Game.

“It took us a few months to work out the details, but I signed last week,” Christopher told Soap Opera Digest of his new GH status. “I love the show and I’m having a great time.”

RELATED | 2013 Cable TV Renewal Scorecard — Renewed or Cancelled TV Shows?

Alas, a steadier presence on the daytime drama would seem to allow Christopher precious little time to reprise his role as The Lying Game‘s lawman Dan — who was of central importance to one of the winter finale’s main mysteries — if the ABC Family drama was on the renewal track.

As of Tuesday, the cabler’s official response remained the same: “No decision has been made about additional episodes.” (Technically, they have until July 15 to make the call.) TLG‘s future, like that of Bunheads, likely will be determined by the success (or lack thereof) of ABCF’s two brand-new offerings, The Fosters and Twisted.

The Lying Game‘s Season 2A averaged 1.3 million total viewers, with 500,000 falling in the cabler’s Adults 18-34 sweet spot. The Twisted series premiere did 1.6 mil/510K, while The Fosters‘ latest episode drew 1.7 mil/480K. In other words, ABC Family’s new series are putting up comparable demos while delivering 20 percent larger audiences. One insider tells TVLine that Twisted currently has the edge in being TLG‘s possible successor.

GET MORE: Contract Talks, Daytime TV

1. Jacqi says:

He is not on screen a whole lot. But seriously hoping TLG gets renewed its sooo good

2. Claire says:

Hope they bring back Natalia Livingston as a very ALIVE Emily. Her and Nikolas were amazing together.

• Jason says:

Emily is dead as a doornail. Her ghost visited this year though!! Rebecca could come back though!! Would like to see AMber Tamblyn play Rebecca Shaw!!
      \

• dude says:

No, Rebecca was awful.

• Clandestine Cassidine-Green says:

Emily’s death means nothing….AJ, Faison, Franco, Anna, Faison, Stavros, Duke and probably others that I am missing were all dead too.

• JEst says:

Jesse Hubbard was a ghost on AMC and returned.

• Tess says:

Same with Dixie and Stuart. All My Children really used to love bringing characters back for one-offs as ghosts only to have the character return very much alive later on…

• TVPeong says:

Taylor on Bold and Beautiful has been dead twice, and one time her ghost spoke to Brooke. And she is alive and well on the show now

• Alex says:

LOL, you are definitely a soap noob! Coming back from the dead is so easy on a soap. Any fan worth their salt knows that.

• Nikolla says:

I might actually watch GH again if we got our couple back. GH could use a REAL love story again. It’s been lacking true romance for years. Come on GH…bring back Natalia and Emily!

3. Linda says:

I’m still hoping Bunheads gets renewed. *crosses fingers*

4. Reg says:

*Spoiler* His character’s fiance was killed off so I can see the Lying Game going on without Tyler (personally I like him better on General Hospital). The show’s next season should focus on the twins and their families. I’m really hoping they renew it!!! It would be very disapointing to not get some type of closure.

5. Kat says:

Well, he’s not the only one, so why making this SO huge? I mean, Adrian Pasdar is on Burn Notice (okay, his character could be dead but come on, that would be so lame) and Blair Redford has obviously worked on Switched at Birth again, or is still working on SaB, and I’d rather keep him there and together with Bay than having him back as Ethan XD I mean, I LOVE “The Lying Game” but I doubt Blair could do both and if I have to choose I want him stay in SaB as Ty… I do want TLG to go on though, and I rather have him in both shows…
    I didn’t like the 1st episode of “Twisted” by the way and most definitely won’t tune in for the 2nd! But that’s just me…

6. Jen says:

Bad news for Liz and AJ, and me, since I’m currently shipping them. But good to have Nikolas back anyway :)

Side note…I’m another vote for bringing back Bunheads…fingers crossed for a renewal!

• Fyrkat says:

I don’t like Nikolas right now. He turning more Cassidine. He’s like a shadow that is obsessing over Liz, who does not love him, period! She’s doing her best to rebuff him, but he will not take the message!

• linda says:

i think liz and nick have amazing chemistry. i don’t like her with aj at all. i watched lying game (i’m 70) just to see nick after he was off gh. i hope they bring it back for at least for another season. i get tired of watching programs and they take them off the air before winding things up like V, Jerico, Flash Forward, just to mention a few. i guess with V the aliens won!!!

7. Caitlin P says:

They need to cancel The Bunheads. It was like a bad clone of Gilmore Girls. Besides nobody watched it. Nobody really wants The Bunheads to come back. Put something better on.

• Jen says:

I’m a huge GG fan, and while I admit that Bunheads was GG lite, it was still a good show! A lot of people liked it and want it to return. It’s not Gilmore Girls vs Bunheads, you can like both.

• Whatevah says:

Wow, I want it come back and I’m somebody.

8. ABC Family is still playing “the waiting game” on renewal/cancellation.

9. Jared says:

I LOVED The Lying Game but clearly its not coming back for another season. Just announce the cancellation already and let the actors move onto other projects.

10. Kristi says:

I’m glad that Tyler Christopher is back on contract with General Hospital, but I want The Lying Game to come back.

11. The Squatch says:

I’m not familiar with this actor or any of his work, but I just had to say that in the picture of him above he looks like he could be a doppelganger for a younger Norm Macdonald. To me, he looks almost identical.

12. DavidSask says:

I was not a fan of Twisted so I hope their ratings drop so a renewal of old shows comes in. The problem with Bunheads is it truthfully has mostly potential for females not those outside of that demographic!!

13. You people don’t know what “on the bubble” means in the TV world? :-(

14. Caro says:

I’m glad Nikolas is back on GH! I’m torn between Liz and Nik and Liz and AJ but the Cassadines are a huge part of Port Charles so it’s good Nik is going to stick around!

15. Ella says:

I love Charisma Carpenter but I think The Lying Game had a terrible second half of season 2. Having Thayer, who has been nothing but loyal and wonderful, implicated as some sort of psychopath and not giving him a chance with Emma when he’s clearly so much better for her than selfish, jump-back-into-the-sack-with-Sutton-the-second-we’re-broken-up Ethan was just horrendous writing. Moreover, instead of building a relationship with their mother, the show is having the girls villanize her. CC needs her own show.

16. Mika02 says:

After the press release ABC Family put out the other day about seeing how The Fosters and Twisted do ratings wise I refuse to watch The Fosters live (I watched them on demand the other night and I will admit it’s a very good well written show; Twisted I’m not interested in) I really don’t understand why we have to choose between Bunheads and another well written show ABC Family has plenty of timeslots. It’s just like when they cancelled Jane by Design and brought back TLG. It’s really sad. But count me as one person crossing for a Bundheads renewal.

• Brandy says:

Abcfamily only programs Wed night (three hours from 6-9 pm MT) during summer and two hors 6-8 pm MT Mon & Tues twice a year,msummer and Jan-March and maybe one timeslot on Mon in March-June omce a yearSo no there’s not enough timeslots and they have to choose between Bunheads and The Fosters and between Lying Game & Twisted.Theyve also picked up Chasing Life and SpellMagedden.So again, there aren’t enough timeslots even almost year round to put ll these shows.Networks have to cancel shows(underperforming ones especially) to make room for new shows on the schedule.

• Mika02 says:

They have both of there comedy’s on for an hour knock them both to the half hour they are supposed to be stretch them out over the summer instead of a repeat hello an open hour they can easily fit an 1 hour such as Bunheads.

17. MoreLyingGame says:

Tyler Christopher has stated he will be doing both shows if The Lying Game is renewed and I’m thrilled. I love the show and hope it gets renewed.

18. Alex says:

His role on Lying Game is not very important. He could easily be written off that show. Anyway, I’d much rather have him on GH, where he plays a much more interesting character. Please let Liz go for Nikolas instead of that super-gross A.J.! She has SUCH bad taste if she has anything to do with A.J.

19. melissa deneau says:

i love him on general hospital

20. Susan says:

All I can say is long live the prince. I was so worried when he came back to general hospital, because when he left the show, he said the only way he would ever come back, was to kill the character of our beautiful, wonderful, prince nikolas cassidine. I really thought he had come back to keep his promise about killing the character, when shortly after he came back he was shot. Now I am excited he came back, and has gone on contract. The only thing I am afraid of now, is it looks like they are putting him together with the Britches. He is too good for her, and she does not deserve him. I think she is actually carrying Dante and Lulu’s baby. I think she implanted one of their eggs inside of her. Maxi should keep her baby, and get back with spaniel lie, and the britches needs to give Dante and Lulu back their baby, if I am ever going to except her with nikolas.

21. April Napier says:

I love Nick back on GH, I wood love to see them bring back Emily from the dead they were the best couple on GH at that time, I Love them together. If they ever want to recast Jason. I thing the actor who played Lucas Scott . He’s Chad Micheal Murray I think he would make a great Jason he as blond hair and blue eye and he would done the job that Steve left behind.

22. Aida Baladad says:

I love Gh soooo much that I record it I can’t watch it on daytime but makes me sad coz Jason is not there anymore but I pray n even light candel that they should rehire Jason . He plays his character really good I admire him he is a good actor . Please bring him back I’m praying ,n hoping for his return thank you so much .

23. Hello there, There’s no doubt that your web site may be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I take a look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine
    but when opening in Internet Explorer, it’s got some
    overlapping issues. I just wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!

Besides that, fantastic site!