Report: The Client List Renewal Held Up By Backstage Debate Over Baby-Daddy Drama

The Client ListThe Client List‘s renewal process seems to be at a pregnant pause.

Star Jennifer Love Hewitt, who is expecting a child with co-star and fiancé Brian Hallisay near the end of the year, reportedly wants her real-life baby daddy to play her fictional one on the Lifetime drama.

But here’s the rub of Sugarland: Both the network and the show’s higher-ups haven’t decided how to handle her character’s on-screen pregnancy in the upcoming third season.

RELATED | Scoop: Billy Campbell and Clea Duvall Join Lifetime’s Lizzy Borden Movie

Per Deadline, neither party is inclined to agree with Hewitt’s idea: The showrunner is pushing co-star Colin Egglesfield, who plays Hewitt’s character’s brother-in-law/admirer Evan, as the pop of the new kid, while Lifetime execs haven’t yet decided how to handle its star’s pregnancy should the show move forward. The impasse is leading to a renewal delay.

“There are many story lines we are exploring,” Hewitt’s rep told the site. “So any suggestion that we are not doing our best to develop a great season is simply not accurate.”

The frothy series’ second season finale aired Sunday night with a total of 2 million viewers (opposite the NBA Finals and True Blood‘s season premiere), down from the previous season finale’s audience of 2.7 million.

Who would you like to see as Riley’s baby daddy? Sound off in the comments!

1. Rachael says:

I think it would make this way more interesting for it to be Evans baby Evan is way better for her then Kyle I mean she always kinda had a thing for him she always went to him you can see it via flashbacks and Evan never left her or the kids Kyle took off for a year was a junkie and a total ass via flashbacks I mean come on REALLY

2. Rachel mills says:

I want Kyle to be the father… It would make Riley and him closer as a couple and a family. And if you do Evan that would ruin his relantionship with this girl friend cop

3. keysha says:

I would love to see Evan as baby daddy, bring some fire to the season

4. ummayyah says:

I just really want to see Kyle be the father of her kid but like add a twist such as Kyle finding out what she does as a living and that she slept with the guy for money and now he doesn’t believe he is the father until like paternity test something along the line of that that way there is drama but a happy with them being together again and having another kid together.

5. I do not understand why they wouldn’t just make the father the man Riley slept with for money. I speak for many people around me when I say The Evan/Riley debacle has become old and tiresome. This would give a new dynamic (not-to-mention the endless possibilities for script writing) to the Kyle/Riley relationship. Let’s face it….so far…the K&R relationship is just plain boring!

6. angelica says:

I think that they should make Kyle the father, but have Riley go through the drama of not knowing who the father is, Kyle or the guy she slept with for money. Through all this confusion and stress, she gets sick with a high risk pregnancy and has to tell Kyle about the other guy and lets him know that she is unsure of the baby is his or not. But it is his though, something like that….IDK, just throwing ideas out keep the show going. =)

7. Tabitha says:

I think the show should go on baby or no baby, Kyle, Evan or the client! Show should keep going! This is one of my favs to watch! Me and my BFF have been waiting for this next season and episode and this show could not stop we don’t want to lose it! So keep the show either way!

8. Kristen says:

Kyle Kyle Kyle!!!!! I love her and Kyle together, even with all his past faults. He is so damn sexy!! ;)

9. Dighton says:

I would like it to be Evan. But since she never slept with him..that can’t happen. It’s should be the Millionaire she slept with. Kyle will disappear again. She can’t find the millionaire so the plot thickness…..DON’T STOP THE SHOW. LOVE IT SO MUCH!

10. Tanya says:

I really don’t think they can pull the Evan’s baby, due to her never actually sleeping with anyone except the client that paid her. They could do a spin of that, but even there that has been a pretty big gap she more than likely would have known she was pregnant before the end of the season. I definitely think Kyle would be the best choice in this decision as it makes the most sense. I can’t wait for the new season to start. Best show I have gotten into in a long time. Jennifer Love was the perfect choice for the show and it would be a shame if they can’t come to terms.

11. jt says:

The father should be Kyle, of course and I hope the show starts soon!

• JT; The story line in the show either could be Kyle or the client that paid her to sleep with him at his hotel room. We assume that when she went to the client’s hotel room that they had sex. But; I wish they would keep us posted on updated news on what Colin Egglesfield is doing while this whole situation is going on an also Jennifer and her fiancé they just can’t leave a story line hanging like they did at the end of Season 2. When you watch the ending you really have a lot to go on and have ideas on what might happen. They do it on other shows too where the person is pregnant in real life and write it in the story line. So, common on Lifetime Network and producers get with it. The new season is just around the corner you had better get started. Soon!!!!

12. Cindy says:

I think Evan should be the baby daddy! He has been there for her through everything when her dead beat husband Kyle took a powder!

• Mary S says:

I think they should wait to begin taping again until AFTER JLH’s baby is born, then not even acknowledge it on the show! They could say she had a miscarriage or something. Riley’s life is entirely too complicated as it is…adding another baby to her family would not be a good idea at this time. Think of her other children; how will they react when they find out that their mom was sleeping around?
      Just write the baby out of the script, Either shoot the scenes around the big belly or wait until the belly is gone. DO NOT LET HER HAVE A BABY ON THE SHOW.
      Since she has already told people, there could still be the “who’s-the-daddy” drama…or, do a paternity test on the fetus. BUT DON’T COMPLICATE HER LIFE ANY FURTHER!

13. catherine dowey says:

I think.that kyle should be the babys father i.plan.on.buyin every series i.love the show. She didnt sleep with evan the only way it could be his is if the secretely slept together and it comes out in the season were she tells everyone she did sleeo witg him… but i think.kyle and her should fix it even though he walked out on her for ayear to fend for herself and be very hurt .

• Mary S says:

The behavior you’re describing is that of a needy, co-dependent masochist, which Riley is not. If JLH were not sleeping with the actor, he would NEVER have been brought back! The Riley they first created would not have put up with Kyle for one minute!!

14. Joanne Hickman says:

please hurry with client 3. I’d like to see her pregnant with the client she slept with. Can’t wait for client 3

15. Jazzy says:

It cannot be the brother in laws baby because they did not sleep together .. only 2 possibilities, Mr 50k for a 1 night stand or Kyle’s. I say allow Riley to freak over it and assume its 50k guys and Kyle be frantic over it but trusting her and then at the end of the season display that it is in fact Kyles baby … IMO

16. Brandie says:

I think the dad should be that one client she slept with. great twist.

17. Chance says:

Meh idk. The show was kind of ruined for me when Kyle came back into the picture and Evan was pushed to the side…I mean Kyle had a secret drug addiction and left his family high and dry and ultimately gets rewarded for it?…im not down for that. EEvan was always there for her and she just uses him for her own gains imo.

• Mary S says:

I agree completely! To bring Kyle back just because JLH is screwing the actor offstage sounds more like he’s an opportunist than anything else, baby or no. Kyle is a slug who does not deserve to just walk back in after she built a life without him. No way! I couldn’t figure out why they would bring him back, but then I realized what happened and lost all respect for everyone concerned.
      Usually it’s the females who sleep their way to the top, but I guess the reverse can happen, also.

18. Laurie says:

I think Kyle should be the father due to them being back together which I love!! Also the fact is, in the movie, she had 3 children with her husband as well and with all that should come plenty of drama!! I love this show and if this show gets cancelled, I won’t be watching Lifetime as much anymore……

• Roxanne says:

I wish the producers and that would get going on the show. You don’t leave a show hanging out to dry where the last season ended. If they don’t do a Season 3 of the show then you will lose a lot of viewers.

19. evoc says:

So when is the show returning? The baby daddy should be the guy who paid her for her private services.

20. Molly says:

Make her a surrogate mother for her best friend. Pregnancy taken care of and they all win.

21. Julie Jax says:

I want Evan to be the dad. I love them together.

22. Kim says:

It should be the Client’s! It’s the only person it could be as far as the story line goes.

23. Stephanie Johns says:

I want Evan to be the daddy

24. Karen G. says:

Kyle should be the father! She never even slept woth Evan.

25. chelsea says:

I just want it to play. Idc who the dad is. The client list is like my reward once a week, after studying my butt of all week for nursing school! I know whatever they decide it’ll be awesome.

26. Alicia Arevalos says:

i’d say make Evan the Dad of the baby… It will keep it juicy and more dramatic!!

27. P beck says:

I think it should be the guy she slept with for all that cash. A consequence of that one night stand.

28. Kate says:

I agree with some above comments. I think they should make out like its the CLIENT’s and then it really be Kyle’s after all in real life it will be his baby.

29. Jennifer says:

if u watch the show u would know that her and Evan never slept together so i don’t see how u could try and put that in the story u can’t just change it up like that the only guy she slept with was the guy that payed her. Evan and Kyle are already upset with each other that would be horrible to put them through i also think that Evan has a good thing going with that women cop i like them together he should be able to have his life with her let him be and have Kyle and Evan be able to be brothers again…

30. nyny99 says:

I want the show to go on and want Kyle to be here baby dad. (even tho he already is =) I just REALLY REALLY WANT THEM TO KEEP THESE SHOW ROLLING!!!!

31. Lyssa says:

I love JLH and love this show! I sure hope they don’t cancel it. I think if they decide to write the pregnancy in the show, they should use Kyle. She didn’t go that far with Evan. Can’t wait to see what they come up with!!

32. jennifer says:

i feel like the baby should be Evan’s he is an amazing person and he been there for her and he love her so much and it would be the best twist ever seen how the brothers work it out and how would she handle the situation would she let Evan in her life and the babies or not

33. I said this in a reply that didn`t post. I think they should just leave it and tape later. Make it a problem for her to find out paternity until she gives birth. Figure out the baby`s daddy later. If they don`t agree with Jen they can film a shock scene and have her run away with the baby at season end. I`m sure Jennifer is enough of a professional to end the beloved series on good terms for her fans. It would be hard for me to follow another series with her if she didn`t. I think the writers and the execs should have been able to come up with that solution. I`ve been looking for a freelance writing job if you need my expertise Lifetime… lol ;D Love the show and would hate to see it cancelled so hope this all culminates in a storyline agreement. She could even lie and say it`s Kyle`s if they`re really that foolish about it. Then they could draw it out for yet another season. Then have the child get sick and need a donor or blood transfusion where she has to tell the truth to Kyle. Kyle could then start or end the following-final season with an ultimatum… him or the child. I could come up with sequences all day and still have more… lmao. C`mon guys, stop friggin` around and film already. Luv yas!!

34. linegus says:

I think it`s really bad how fast she forgave Kyle for what he did, the twist with Even was way better… He`s so much hotter too…

35. Synryniti says:

I Lovee this show and because Riley never slept with evan. The baby should be Kyles and if its not I’d probably stop watching too many things wouldnt make sense like how evan could father a baby he didnt help conceive.

36. adriana says:

LOL it would be pretty funny if on the show riley got an abortion!

37. S caswell says:

I love this show. Please don’t cancel it. Evan is so sweet and I would like to see her with him instead of Kyle.

38. Amanda says:

Kyle being the dad! Over the drama with Evan vs Kyle

39. Flipper says:

Easy. Riley & Evan. They were meant to be together and it took the loser husband screwing up to show it.

40. Almarlena Morgan says:

it would be even more dramatic to make Evan as the father. Just because you didn’t see them sleep together in the last two seasons doesn’t mean they didn’t. Either way it can work.

41. Jennifer says:

Ugh – how can Evan be the father when they never even slept together? Are we going to have some sort of immaculate conception?

• Jennifer says:

Also, the only other person that she’s supposedly slept with since Kyle left was the guy who paid her $50,000 to have sex with him. If the writer’s want to really complicate the situation, then make him the dad, but come on people, at least try to make it believable!

42. Ashley says:

As much as I love the Evan story line, it needs to be Kyle’s. For the sake of her family. I know a lot of family’s children don’t all have the same father or mother, but in this case, I think it’d be best. Especially since all the kids are young.
    Evan is already a great uncle to the kids and really took them under his wing while Kyle was gone. She needs to be in love with Evan but the baby should be Kyle’s.
    My two cents.

43. Judy says:

We want Evan to be the lead man.

44. Teri Parizo says:

I absolutely love this show and cant wait for it to come back on!! I have to agree with everyone on having the millionaire be the father of the baby….first they should all think that Kyle is the father then just before the season ends they should have him come back into the picture and start from there and have him really want to know if he is the father!! I think that will definitely put a heck of a twist in the show!!! :)

45. I want to see Colin Egglesfield (Evan) be Reily’s baby daddy. Who knows they could’ve slept together and just not shown or spoke of anything leading us to know it.

46. itsjustmeashley says:

I think the random client she slept with makes a spicy twist for sure I cant wait for the new season either way

47. Angel says:

I don’t care who the babies daddy is. I just want the show to come back on. I don’t understand why the continue to take the good shows off the air. This is by far my favorite show.

48. Chelsea says:

It should be Kyle’s!

49. jessica wade says:

Ok I really want the show to air soon or imma go crazy, so .why not5ake it into very much consideration to play it off as the guy she hax the affair with be the daddy and it turn out being kyles all along which btw is still her husband they never got a divorce and tye end episode of last season they were doin pretty good working on things so give it a big twist like that along with others cause honestly Im beginning to like kyle again she did say for better or worse!!! Hope this helps so yall can get to airing REALLY SOON!! Thanks

50. Tiffany says:

I am all for her being pregnant with twins and one is Evans and one as Kyles.