Ratings: True Blood Premiere Dips Opposite NBA Finals, Miss USA Hits a Low

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings, Sports

Ratings True Blood Season 6 PremiereHBO’s True Blood drew 4.5 million total viewers with its Season 6 premiere on Sunday night, and grew that audience to 5.6 mil with an encore airing.

Year over year, that’s a decline of 13 percent — keeping in mind that the supernatural drama’s previous opener didn’t go 1-on-1 with the NBA Finals.

RELATED | True Blood Premiere Recap: Kill Bill

Speaking of which: ABC’s coverage of the NBA Finals Game 5 dominated the night, drawing north of 14 million viewers (per very preliminary numbers) and scoring at least a 5.6 demo rating — down 12 percent from a year ago’s fast nationals but on par with Game 4.

RELATED | Read Our Sunday Recaps for Mad Men and The Killing

NBC’s broadcast of the Miss USA Pageant meanwhile hit all-time lows for the Peacock, dropping 28 percent year-to-year to 4.6 mil and a 1.3. It also gave us this:

Comments (19)

• Those still aren’t bad numbers for True Blood. I’m interested in how it does next week, even though I don’t really think the finals took that much if its audience away. This is probably just natural aging- almost every show drops as it goes along, not every show can be NCIS.

Comment by Warren – June 17, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, I’d say that when your pool of potential viewers is lessened by a good 10 million, that’s gonna make a dent.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 17, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah but of those 10 million viewers what percentage would cross over with TB? I’m saying maybe 5 percent or so? Most sports fans I know aren’t into brooding vamps and werewolves with their shirts off.

Comment by Dr Mantis Toboggan – June 17, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah but when your boyfriend, husband, etc wants to watch the NBA finals, and you want to watch True Blood, odds are you watch NBA because well True Blood can wait but I mean you can’t really wait on the NBA.

Comment by cas – June 18, 2013 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing Miss Utah won’t get a page in Mitt Romney’s binder full of women.

Comment by Et al. – June 17, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe not BUT I wouldn’t want to be in “Mitt Romney’s Binder of Women “…

Comment by IMHO – June 17, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought ” True Blood,” was going back to the basics. Why are we being shown in episodes to come a science fiction plot line with the governor. I thought this series was about horror. The writers haven’t learned anything.

Comment by Theorist – June 17, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sci-fi and horror have always gone hand-in-hand from the beginning. Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, The Thing, The Fly, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Alien, even the original Dracula novel has sci-fi elements surrounding Van Helsing’s methods for fighting him.

Comment by Will – June 17, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess Miss Utah had one answer planned and was going to stick with it no matter what. DOH

Comment by Danielle H. – June 17, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It all comes back to education and jobs. ;-)

Comment by Dr Mantis Toboggan – June 17, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • True Blood premiere still beat out Game of Thrones season 3 premiere.. That speaks volumes.. crazy may not be for everyone but hey the numbers don’t lie

Comment by SS – June 17, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those numbers for True Blood are still better than Mad Men and anything that Showtime has. Let’s see if Dexter will have higher premiere numbers. I think not.

Comment by Binkietwinkie – June 17, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one is comparing it to MAD MEN, or to DEXTER. It’s being compared to its own previous premiere.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 17, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is NBC’s fascination with Trump? Why schedule against NBA? Most women I know would rather watch NBA than a sexist beauty pageant.

Comment by Chablis – June 17, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True, but most women I know would rather watch True Blood over Miss USA or the NBA.

Comment by Aprilcot – June 18, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why doesn’t it ever get compared to those shows though Matt? Game of Thrones and Walking Dead do. We need to give this show some credit too.

Comment by jonathon – June 17, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • True Blood seems to be cleaning up the mess from the past couple of seasons. I already like it better than 4 and 5.

Comment by Mikael – June 18, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. The 15 minute recap they did previously reminded me just how much I didn’t like last season. Also I thought that 15 minute Fantasia club interview thing they did with Rhetta and all the stars of TB was painful. Never again HBO!

Comment by Mel – June 18, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought this was a decent premiere for True Blood, but I’m not gonna judge the season based on one episode. Lets just see how long it takes for these storylines to go off the rails again. Admitedly, sometimes going off the rails is fun, but last season was painful.

Comment by Jake – June 18, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post