Ratings: True Blood Premiere Dips Opposite NBA Finals, Miss USA Hits a Low

Ratings True Blood Season 6 PremiereHBO’s True Blood drew 4.5 million total viewers with its Season 6 premiere on Sunday night, and grew that audience to 5.6 mil with an encore airing.

Year over year, that’s a decline of 13 percent — keeping in mind that the supernatural drama’s previous opener didn’t go 1-on-1 with the NBA Finals.

RELATED | True Blood Premiere Recap: Kill Bill

Speaking of which: ABC’s coverage of the NBA Finals Game 5 dominated the night, drawing north of 14 million viewers (per very preliminary numbers) and scoring at least a 5.6 demo rating — down 12 percent from a year ago’s fast nationals but on par with Game 4.

RELATED | Read Our Sunday Recaps for Mad Men and The Killing

NBC’s broadcast of the Miss USA Pageant meanwhile hit all-time lows for the Peacock, dropping 28 percent year-to-year to 4.6 mil and a 1.3. It also gave us this:

1. Warren says:

Those still aren’t bad numbers for True Blood. I’m interested in how it does next week, even though I don’t really think the finals took that much if its audience away. This is probably just natural aging- almost every show drops as it goes along, not every show can be NCIS.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Oh, I’d say that when your pool of potential viewers is lessened by a good 10 million, that’s gonna make a dent.

• Dr Mantis Toboggan says:

Yeah but of those 10 million viewers what percentage would cross over with TB? I’m saying maybe 5 percent or so? Most sports fans I know aren’t into brooding vamps and werewolves with their shirts off.

• cas says:

Yeah but when your boyfriend, husband, etc wants to watch the NBA finals, and you want to watch True Blood, odds are you watch NBA because well True Blood can wait but I mean you can’t really wait on the NBA.

2. Et al. says:

I’m guessing Miss Utah won’t get a page in Mitt Romney’s binder full of women.

3. Theorist says:

I thought ” True Blood,” was going back to the basics. Why are we being shown in episodes to come a science fiction plot line with the governor. I thought this series was about horror. The writers haven’t learned anything.

• Will says:

Sci-fi and horror have always gone hand-in-hand from the beginning. Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, The Thing, The Fly, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Alien, even the original Dracula novel has sci-fi elements surrounding Van Helsing’s methods for fighting him.

4. Danielle H. says:

I guess Miss Utah had one answer planned and was going to stick with it no matter what. DOH

5. SS says:

True Blood premiere still beat out Game of Thrones season 3 premiere.. That speaks volumes.. crazy may not be for everyone but hey the numbers don’t lie

6. Binkietwinkie says:

Those numbers for True Blood are still better than Mad Men and anything that Showtime has. Let’s see if Dexter will have higher premiere numbers. I think not.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No one is comparing it to MAD MEN, or to DEXTER. It’s being compared to its own previous premiere.

7. Chablis says:

What is NBC’s fascination with Trump? Why schedule against NBA? Most women I know would rather watch NBA than a sexist beauty pageant.

8. jonathon says:

why doesn’t it ever get compared to those shows though Matt? Game of Thrones and Walking Dead do. We need to give this show some credit too.

9. Mikael says:

True Blood seems to be cleaning up the mess from the past couple of seasons. I already like it better than 4 and 5.

• Mel says:

Agreed. The 15 minute recap they did previously reminded me just how much I didn’t like last season. Also I thought that 15 minute Fantasia club interview thing they did with Rhetta and all the stars of TB was painful. Never again HBO!

10. Jake says:

I thought this was a decent premiere for True Blood, but I’m not gonna judge the season based on one episode. Lets just see how long it takes for these storylines to go off the rails again. Admitedly, sometimes going off the rails is fun, but last season was painful.