Fall TV Poll | Monday: Rick Castle Vs. James Spader and Other DVR Dilemmas

Fall TV Preview Monday ScheduleThe Fall TV season will be here before you know it, and with it comes tough, new viewing choices. In fact, the time to get thinking about them is now.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Been Cancelled?

Each day this week, TVLine will present the grid for that night’s fall line-up, including Big 5 fare and select cable listings. You then vote for what you plan to watch “live” during each time slot.

(If you fancy yourself a DVRnista and are horribly hung up on my use of the word “live,” I invite you to vote for your “Top Priority” in each time slot. Semantics problem solved!)

RELATED | TVLine’s Full Fall TV Grid: Your Guide to What’s on When and Versus What

WTWmonday2013r1NOTES ABOUT THE MONDAY GRID: Grids represent the face-offs taking place for at least six weeks of the fall TV season; that’s why, for example, Major Crimes (which finales Sept. 16) isn’t included. Details on new shows (indicated in RED) can be found at these links: The Blacklist, Hostages, Mom, Sleepy Hollow, We Are Men

1. Sam says:

Sleepy Hollow and Hostages! They both look like they have significant potential.

• Maki says:

Hostages kicks as* how good it looks. The cast is pretty amazing and I just can’t wait to air,

• Bfleet says:

7pm – Almost Human when it debuts
        8pm – I’ll give Sleepy Hollow a try
        9pm – Castle & I’ll give Blacklist a try via DVR

• Will probably do the same and give both Sleepy Hollow and Hostages , But , also going to give MOM a look , :)

Not sure which ones I will watch via broadcast but its nice to know that I can watch MOM via next day stream via the network website.

• mercedes says:

Yo prefiero, siempre, de largo, “Beauty and the beast”

2. Buffy0531 says:

I will watch a number of these shows, DWTS, Bones, Castle, The Voice, and will try Sleepy Hollow and Hostages. I think there needs to be a better capture for those of us who PVR their shows to avoid the commercials. Ratings don’t seem to be adequately capturing people like me. Hopefully networks take this into account when trying to judge a show’s success? Or is that just wishful thinking.

• JCB says:

Buffy0531 – if you are skipping the commercials the networks don’t care if you are watching or not. The ads pay for the shows so if no one is watching the ads the networks don’t make money.

• @Buffy & JCB it only matters to watch the commercials (and only counts) if you are a Nielsen family. Regular everyday viewers don’t get counted.

• Liz985 says:

The industry is changing. Revenue won’t necessarily come from ads, but from other avenues such as product placement, subscriptions to streaming, and purchase of series in some form or another. All viewers are important – the industry needs to catch up to the times.

• Sable says:

Even watching live, you can switch channels or leave the room to use the bathroom, get something to eat, do some email, or anything else. I always have other things to do while the commercials are on and rarely pay any attention to them.

• ajintexas says:

lol, this is the best “I have not a single clue how tv shows get paid for” post I have seen on here in months. So little knowledge of anything useful, so much win. You don’t want to watch the ads that pay for the TV show you are watching, yet you want to be counted in the ratings. Thanks for the laugh. As for the person talking about product placement, that works to an extent in shows, but who wants to watch a show that is pretty much a 30 miunte commercial for the new Ford or Kia. USA shows are just lousy with product placement and it ruins shows like White Collar. Like watching a Ford commercial.

• bobbie says:

When Sean (Psych) mentions Snyder Pretzels, I go buy Snyder Pretzels. I want this show to stay on the air! Besides I like their pretzels.

• Alex says:

I was wondering if people who responded to that garbage actually exist. I hope you were joking when you said you truly do fall for product placement.

• mia says:

Its not that people fall for product placement, its about brand awareness. If you’re going out to buy pretzels and you see the 13 different brands, chances are your going to go for the brand you have heard of….the one you saw in your favourite tv show.
            But also, there are many examples of shows whose fans publicly supported companies that sponsored their shows; like Fringe, Chuck and Jerico to name a few.

3. Nick says:

DWTS live & Bones(before it goes to Friday), DVR Mom & Castle

4. The Voice & The Blacklist

5. Nicole says:

The only thing I care abt on Monday is Castle. I don’t watch it but what happened to Hawaii 5-O?

6. TV Gord says:

I’m Canadian, where I can watch Castle at 7pm, but for the sake of this vote, I’m pretending I’m American. I’ll watch The Blacklist and Hostages, too, but Castle remains my priority in that time slot.

7. Chantelle says:

I second the call to find out about DVR watching. I have young children – DVR is my life, but I watch religiously and consistantly.

• Ally Oop says:

You are like me. I have young children too. I don`t watch TV until the kiddies are in bed and I pause it when they come out because they need a glass of water or say they aren`t tired enough or they have to go to the bathroom or their sister is bugging them or there`s weird sounds coming from the closet or they`re hungry or they had a bad dream or whatever other excuse they have. Or a friend stops by. Or your hubby wants to watch TV with you but he doesn`t want to watch what you are watching. Or the phone rings and you spend an hour on it talking to who phoned. Live TV is pointless because then you miss stuff. Even before PVRs I recorded everything on VHS.

8. Name That Tune says:

Actually I won’t watch any of them live. I tend to save up the episodes and watch a season on a weekend. So put me down as none for “live” but I will eventually watch DWTS, Bones; Castle, Beauty and the Beast. I may give Sleepy Hollow a look after a few episodes.

• Patrick says:

You, and people who share your viewing habits, are killing scripted TV.

• Name That Tune says:

As has been previously mentioned, the industry needs to catch up with the times. I do some of my viewing on Hulu (limited commercials) some on YouTube ( limited commercials, some on services like Amazon & Google Play, some on Netflix. NFL Network on ny cell phone. And occasionally I use Windows Media Center to record shows but I don’t wwant to store the shows on a hard drive. And I watch American Idol on Daily Motion.

A number of these shows are available for viewing from the network’s website, again with limited commercials. An hour of TV on a local station is about 42 minutes of actual story and all of these shows are more enjoyable without the interruptions. For 22 episodes (a typical season)that’s about 7 hours of additional time. I have better things to do with my time.

So traditional TV has to rethink their business model.

• MrMank says:

It may affect things now, but scripted television isn’t going anywhere. TV is going to have no choice in the near future but to catch up. People’s viewing habits are changing, and that’s not going to mean the death of TV.

• Zach says:

If you don’t have a Nielsen box, it really doesn’t matter.

• Name That Tune says:

It matters if TV executives are making programming decisions based on those numbers. If your business model is based on selling commercials, it matters. I am not sure that they have figured it all out yet but shows like DWTS, The Voice, American Idol, SYTYCD, The Bachelor, Hell”s Kitchen, Master Chef , etc are designed to get you interested to watch during the scheduled hour. Meanwhile some decent dramas have to catch on quickly or risk getting canceled.

• beckstle says:

Actually, come fall, if you have a twitter account, you’ll count, because the Nielsen’s will be factoring in a show’s twitter presence into the ratings. The TV industry is SLOWLY catching on.

9. Babybop says:

Bones! I’ll TiVo Sleepy Hollow and give it a shot, though.

10. dude says:

Mom is the only show I have any interest in on this night.

11. kathyb says:

Your results mean absolutely nothing without showing the number of people who have voted – 100% of the votes showing for one program seems like alot until you find out only 1 person voted. Not as impressive.

12. Leah says:

only castle!

13. Esaul says:

HIMYM, Castle.

14. Brandy says:

HoD,BaTB,2 Broke Girls

15. Barbara says:

BONES!!! The rest are interesting but Bones is it. I’ll DVR a lot.

16. Jack S says:

2 Broke Girls, Mom and then sticking with CBS to give Hostages a shot – The Blacklist goes on the DVR to give that a chance too.

17. Kiddoo says:

I treated this as if I could *only* watch one show per time. So, while I’ll probably watch The Voice live in reality (due to it’s live nature), I voted for Bones and Sleepy Hollow because if I didn’t have a DVR those are what I’d watch. I voted Castle but will definitely DVR both Blacklist and Hostages.

For those asking about DVR ratings, Nielsen reports Live plus same day (within 3 hours of broadcast), Live plus 3 day and Live plus 7 day. So, the networks are aware of the DVR effect. In fact, they put forth press releases touting these numbers from time to time. However, they don’t make money on DVR watches unless the viewer doesn’t fast forward thru the commercials (uhm, not me) so it’s really just PR. These figures can be found at http://www.tvbythenumbers.com

Wow, Monday at 10 pm is chock full of interesting shows.

• Name That Tune says:

That’s still a pretty narrow measure of the audience for these shows. I really don’t think it matters how Nielson measures the audience. That’s a system that is based on watching commercials. I would argue that the audience for these shows is much larger and the potential for audience growth is expanding. For example, when ER was at its peak, I could never watch it live because I worked a 12 hour night shift when it aired in a local city hospital where quite a few fans of the show also worked. So the potential audience was huge.The challenge for today’s TV execs is to figure how to maintain and grow their revenue in an environment where the viewers decide the schedule. Ratings done the Nielsen way aren’t going to work.

• Kiddoo says:

Whether it’s a narrow measure or not, all that matters (well, let’s say 95%) is how companies actually garner revenue. In today’s current market, that means advertising sales based on eyes that actually see commercials. While I think that the system needs to address other media streams (hulu, etc.) that can generate ad sales (and I’m sure they are cuz they’re at least as intelligent as we are) we’re not fully there yet. The Big Four don’t care how many people DVR a show and skip the commercials because the companies that pay them money (advertisers) don’t care. Period.
        Put it another way. I’ll pay you to pass out flyers promoting my product. You do so, but an increasing number of people accept the flyer and then throw it on the ground without paying attention. And, in addition, I can watch this happen (Nielsen ratings). I’m not going to pay you for the dropped flyers. Simple as that. And no matter how many people tell you to keep giving the same flyers, when you can potentially make more with other flyers (i.e. cancel shows for new ones), all you really care about is how much money I put in your pocket.

18. After the finale, Bones is even off my DVR. I’m not even interested in seeing how they finally beat Pelant, because there will just be another like him, and frankly, i’m tired of it.

19. Amy says:

I want to check out Sleepy Hollow. It’s so bizarre that it looks like it could be fun. I think it’s a show that I will either love or hate, but I plan to check it out.

20. ladyluck527 says:

I watch wrestling on Monday nights , but I’ll be dvring Hart of Dixie , and 2 Broke Girls

21. Maria says:

Castle and only Castle. I watch live and DVR it because I usually watch each episode more than once. It is the only show that stays on my DVR until the DVD’s come out in the fall.

22. Hoping CBS will see the mistake they made taking Hawaii Five-0 off Mondays!

23. I am so ungodly tired of cheap sitcoms and reality shows. Dramas are tired and repetitive. Almost every one uses plot lines seen dozens of times before in other shows. Television needs new, imaginative writing so badly it’s just pathetic.

24. Kida says:

Castle, baby!

25. Any word on if Almost Human is going to air on Monday nights late Fall and what about The Following?

26. Jasper777 says:

Castle wins this night hands down. Bones will be on the DVR for something to watch during the week.

27. Jacqi says:

I dont watch anything live. But i will be dvring bones and how i met your mother. Possibly dwts depends on the pros and stars.

28. Chris says:

This is a hilarious poll – do people really watch TV live anymore? I ONLY watch sports or Bachelor/ette/Pad and thats ONLY because we have a drinking party to watch it…

Monday:
    DVR/watch same night: HIMYM, 2 Broke Girls, The Voice
    DVR: We Are Men (at least pilot), Mom, Hostages, The Blacklist (at least pilot)

29. Bones Bones Bones Of Course :D!!!!!!!!!!!!Soo very excited for this new S9!!

30. Jenna says:

I’ll watch Bones, then Almost Human. Then Sleepy Hollow. I like Fox Monday. And I’m definitely looking forward to The Blacklist; hope it doesn’t disappoint.

31. hana says:

Why isn’t Almost Human listed?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

There is an asterisk (*) beneath the grid denoting that ALMOST HUMAN is a “late fall” premiere. I made the executive decision, as I am prone to do, that it would have been far too confusing to try to poll people on both BONES and its eventual Monday replacement.

32. JLK says:

My daughters will force me to watch DWTS live so they can shake their booties before bed and ooh and aah over the costumes. As much as I want to turn the show off after they’re in bed, I find myself watching until the end with the husband.

I’ll DVR the CBS comedies and watch them whenever I get a few minutes. I can usually find 20 minutes to check out a sitcom here or there without too much trouble.

I’ll DVR Bones if I catch up with last season. For some reason, I stopped watching Bones after about Episode 3 last season. And I haven’t really been interested in watching all the episodes stacked up on my playlist until recently…mostly because I don’t really have anything else to watch when I find the time to watch a show.

Castle’s my priority at 10/9c. I’ll probably tape the other shows at that time and see if they attract an audience or not before I watch. I just don’t have much time to be watching shows, so I focus on the old ones I’m attached to over the new.

I’ll also be watching Sleepy Hollow with the husband. The only way I can find time to see new shows is if the husband’s interested too, and will watch it once he settles into his recliner for the night. This is one he’ll at least sample. If it’s at all cheesy though, that’ll be the end of that.

33. Shannon says:

I don’t watch anything live anymore. I really didn’t enjoy planning my life according to when my TV shows were on and I despise commercials. My TV watching has become much less stressful since I got my Tivo nearly 10 years ago. :) The only show I’m planning to watch on Mondays this fall will probably be Hart of Dixie…I might be swayed to check out Mom though – the trailer was amusing.

34. cha11 says:

I too DVR quite a bit. I go to sleep at 10:00 so all my 10:00 p.m. TV watching is via DVR on the weekends when there’s nothing else on.

35. Ram510 says:

Mondays is all about How I Met Your Mother! I’ll give Sleepy Hallow a try, but I’m not really that excited about it. And I’ll also watch NBC’s line up.

BTW I thought Bones was moved to Fridays?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

As denoted by the asterisk — or “star” as some geographical regions may call it — beneath the above aforementioned/referenced “grid” display, BONES doesn’t relocate to Fridays until what I am dubbing “late fall.” (I have since increased the size of this advisory by 16%.)

36. JC says:

I only voted for Castle, but I want to try out The Blacklist too. Castle’s top priority though. And I’ll be checking out Almost Human whenever it airs.

I won’t be watching Sleepy Hollow, but I’m curious to see how it does. I have it down as my vote for first drama of the season to be cancelled. :)

37. G says:

I will be watching live (really about 20 minutes after it starts on my DVR) DWTS and then after it is over I will watch my DVR’d HIMYM and Hart of Dixie.

38. Jared says:

Hart of Dixie and Beauty and the Beast for me. I’ll watch some of the new shows On Demand.

39. Shawn says:

Monday Night Football – everything else can wait until later

40. Zeph says:

I’m another that DVRs everything (love my TiVos!), but for most shows I’ll start watching them about halfway through the live airing just so that I can zip through the commercials. So for surveys like this, I still treat them as watching “live”.

41. Kwapple says:

Bones, which will then give me a reason to watch tv on Friday’s. May watch Castle later after I wash out the gross aftertaste left by the proposal. With HIMYM, I got tired of waiting for the mother, so I doubt I actually watch the mother now. And I’ll watch MNF depending on the game

42. Jessica says:

I’m gonna watch Bones&Castle and I’ll DVR HIMYM. oh also, Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow’s trailers are not that bad but i dont think i’ll watch them. & I believe they’ll cancel those 2 shows.

43. Karen says:

Bones and castle no brainer

44. Tahoe Mike says:

I thought they just turned off the other channels during Monday Night Football.

45. Leondre says:

I will probably watch NBC live and DVR How I Met Your Mother, 2 Broke Girls, MOM, Hostages, and Sleepy Hollow.

46. Zach says:

Bones
    How I Met Your Mother
    Mom
    We Are Men

All online, I don’t have time for the commercials.

47. bobbie says:

Live? does anyone do that anymore?

48. Sniry says:

HIMYM, then I’ll wait until 9pm and give Sleepy Hollow a shot followed by Castle! Castle all the way!

49. Steve says:

Bones, Sleepy Hollow and Castle live. DVR Blacklist and Hostages. Actually I’ll DVR all of them.

50. Lauren says:

Wow, HIMYM is the only show I’m really into. I’ll probably check in on DWTS as the celebs are narrowed down. Other than that, I’m thinking we’re going to be watching Monday Night Football which conveniently begins at 8:30 after HIMYM is over. Win for my husband!