Scandal Scoop: Scott Foley Officially Promoted to Series Regular for Season 3

Get More: Casting News

Scandal Season 3 Scott Foley Series RegularJake Ballard will continue to be a presence in Olivia Pope’s life for the foreseeable future.

Scandal has officially promoted Scott Foley to a full-fledged series regular ahead of the show’s third season, TVLine has learned.

PHOTOS | Scandal‘s 17 Biggest OMFG! Moments!

“I’m thrilled to join such a talented, enthusiastic and professional group of people,” Foley said in a statement. “Shonda [Rhimes] and company have created a troupe of layered complex characters and to be able to be part of that is both exciting and humbling.”

RELATED | Tony Goldwyn Opens Up AboutScandal‘s Heartbreaking Twist: ‘I Literally Couldn’t Speak the Words’

Foley joined Scandal towards the end of Season 2 as the mysterious Jake on a recurring basis. At the time, the actor told TVLine that “there’s the possibility of permanence,” adding, “Shonda and I have talked about something longer. I love this show, and I’d love to be there as long as they’ll have me.”

Thoughts? Happy Jake’s sticking around? Hit the comments!

Comments (429)

• Scott Foley in anything. Scott Foley in EVERYTHING!

Comment by dude – June 14, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reading all of this I am wondering if Fitiz and Mellie were not written for the show would you root for Jake as Olivia love interest? Take away Fitiz and Mellie and leave all of what you now know about Jake, would you still want Olivia with this person?.

Take it a step further,Jake is married?

Comment by Heart and soul – June 14, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I lov jake! And I love Scott folley!!

Comment by Para – June 15, 2013 12:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is ridiculous. At least have the grace to welcome Scott Foley to the show even if you don’t like his character. I have yet to see one Jake fan railing on about how Tony Goldwyn needs to leave the show, or talk crap about his acting, or threaten to stop watching if he returns next season. welcome him to the show or stay off this thread (which was supposed to be to welcome him!) It’s rude to do that to Scott, even if you don’t like Jake.

Comment by JMO – June 15, 2013 12:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Before I’m attacked, let me rephrase, welcome Scott to the show or limit your comments to comments about the character, not the actor.

Comment by JMO – June 15, 2013 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As an Olitz fan I welcome Scott Foley. I do not like Jake Ballard but welcome Scott Foley.Please read some of my comments. I personally was underwhelmed by how his character was written. His storyline left many hole which hopefully will be filled in Season 3. You are right people don’t go off as much on Tony Goldwyn and I don’t think they will because let’s face it …..love/hate Fitz he is a great actor and has been given alot more material to work with being one of the lead characters. Compelling storytelling will help Scott’s character. Maybe that will be the benefit of him becoming a regular. The writers can now consistently write for his character and give fans a better opportunity to see what he will bring to the table. Until then I will withold judgement and try to keep things positive.

Comment by Nikki35 – June 15, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Scott Foley and he plays Jake so well. I hope Olivia ends up with him. She deserves someone better than a cheat who is all talk and no action (Fitz).

Comment by hazel – June 15, 2013 01:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news. i don’t think he’ll be a love interest for olivia. that’s too obvious. i hope he turns evil and tries to bring Fitz down. that would be awesome.

I can’t believe some of the drama queens on here, though. The ratings will take a hit because of a single cast member. Really???, the ratings were going up and up on every episode Scott Foley was on as Jake Ballard. Seriously, come with something better than that because some of you are really reaching and sounding very stupid along the way.

Comment by skin2skin – June 15, 2013 01:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best Scandal news I’ve heard in a long time. I love SF, I love Jake. Now, bring on Olake! <33

Comment by Danielle – June 15, 2013 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love him, so I’m very happy

Comment by shouw – June 15, 2013 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the Jake Ballard character. I love Scott Foley. I love this news. That is all.

Comment by MandaJ – June 15, 2013 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This will be interesting.

Comment by Leo – June 15, 2013 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is HORRIBLE! Scott Foley has ZERO chemistry with Kerry Washington. I’m sorry but this is true. Their love scenes are laughable, awkward, and embarrssing. Has Scott Foley kissed a woman of color before. He’s eyes are always really big and he looks kinda scared. lol Goodness, it’s soo bad!!!! He has ZERO skill with his acting foreplay. He’s not like Tony Goldwyn who knows how to slow seduce Kerry or be sexy and, aggressive when he needs to be. .

Shonda why, why, why!

If Scot Foley was a true actor he would turn this role down. This is not good for his career because he’s just not good in this role. I’m watching the Goodwin Games and it’s pretty good. I’ve also watched him in Grey’s and Felicity. Scott can act! I’ve also seem him have chemistry with other actresses and he was natural and wonderful lover. He’s just not that way with Kerry. Scott Foley do the right thing and walk away from this role. If they continue his LOVE story line with Kerry, I will NOT BE WATCHING.

Comment by Miss Thang – June 15, 2013 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We will have to see what the writers do to dvelop his character in Season 3. I believe in giving things a chance. I will take a break if necessary or stop watching completely if I don’t like what I see. The character’s fate is in the writers hands at this point if Scott Foley is as great of an actor as people say. When Bellamy became a season regular I did not like Mellie but I loved the way she played her character which means I understood the writers choice in bringing her back full-time. She also brought so much life to the character with very minimal screen time. What I am saying is the writers still need to earn me when it comes to the character of Jake. We shall see what happens.

Comment by Nikki35 – June 15, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jake and Olivia definitely have chemistry, BUT THEY DON’T HAVE THE CHEMISTRY OF OLITZ… WHY MUST IT ALL OR NOTHING WITH PEOPLE… OLITZ has/had some of the best chemistry on television yet that does not negate that Foley has been a great addition.

I don’t see why we must give with one hand and take with the other. I really don’t get it.

Comment by Moe – June 15, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No-the character Edison had ZERO chemistry with Liv-Jake had an interesting dynamic with her. not as tangible as Fiz and Liv (obviously) but they did have a sweet dynamic when the first met in the coffee shop. I find their chemistry interesting enough to flesh out.

Comment by chely – June 16, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • See already the gladiators “fight” is already a bad new and a bad sign.
    The Jake’s return does not bother me, but I thought it would during the season, but promote regular SF is different, because if he returns to full-time, it is so that Jake and Liv have a relationship.
    See already the gladiators “fight” is already a bad new and a bad sign.
    I thought that with Scandal, the series of Network offered finally different things, but no. Rhimes will make Grey’s Anatomy with Scandal. Except Scandal is not GA.
    In short we will probably witness the crash of Scandal.

Comment by Krakinet – June 15, 2013 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show to pieces! But Scot foley is weak actor. I can’t believe they made him a season regular. What kind of story lines do they possibly have in store for him. I love tony goldwyn!!!! Go TeamTony!!!!

Comment by Irma – June 15, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • … Foley a weak actor? You folks are really pushing it. That actually makes no sense. So you’re #TeamTony… does that mean you have to make up attacks against a seasoned actor?

Comment by Moe – June 15, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have not followed Scott’s career nor watched his shows so my first experience is seeing him on Scandal. I will withold judgement on acting. I think what is important here is great storytelling. I was a little underwhelmed with Jake Ballard up until the finale when we learned a little more about his agenda. Up until that point I really didn’t care. I thought his storyline was not well developed making him be a love interest or not for Olivia who was still passionate about the president. Hopefully they will give him better material to work with in season 3

Comment by Nikki35 – June 15, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The key to a well -liked character is….great storyline in conjunction with the skill set the actor brings to the table. I will withhold judgement until season 3 so I can see where the writers are going to go with his character. I agree with you on Tony Goldwyn . Love him to pieces because love/hate Fitz he plays his character with passion and substance. Now let’s see what Scott will bring to the character of Jake now that he is a regular.

Comment by Nikki35 – June 15, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It takes an exceptional actor to make a lying, cheating, murderous character look so good. Cyrus is a creep, but we all love him because Jerry plays him so well. I just don’t see Scott being able to hold his own around. I would love to see more of Hollis he is great.

Comment by Louisa – June 15, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • woohoo I am all for team tony as well

Comment by Team OLITZ – September 16, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Jake

Comment by Terry – June 15, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You must be his mother, sister or best friend. Who in their right mind likes this guy for Olivia. They have zero chemistry. Do you see the way he is in their loves scenes. Ugggghhh. Yuck. Read my comment several comments above this one.

Scott Foley can act. He has had natural, wonderful chemistry with other actresses but not with Kerry Washington. Seeing their loves scenes together, makes me want too throw up in my mouth. Tony Goldwyn’s scenes are sooo powerful with Kerry that it makes Scott’s scenes with Kerry Pathetic.

For the record, I’d like to see Olivia move on from Fitz BUT NOT WITH SCOTT FOLEY.

Comment by Miss Thang – June 15, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree let’s have Olivia move on period. People will always love/hate Jake or love/hate Fitz for their own personal reasons no matter what so moving on with someone else with no skeletons sounds good but then again this show is called Scandal (l0l)

Comment by Nikki35 – June 15, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I would agree to have Olivia and Fitz both move on. Both are too damaged to be interesting at this point. Fitz is totally destroyed. It seems you cannot enjoy Olivia and Fitz without people thinking you’re only in it for the love scenes, or you’re some bubblehead. Far from the truth, while I enjoy the love scenes, because they are electric, you relate to the love story–less we all watch SciFi. It’s a fantasy–that’s all and everyone’s entitled to have theirs, their way. I simply prefer Olivia and Fitz.

However, I liked Scott Foley’s “Jake” but cannot abide the way it just veered off into some strange, much too complicated mission. I was happy that Olivia was smiling again and he was so cute on their dates. He held his own with Cy. I thought he would hold his own with Fitz and I looked forward to this big reveal, which never really happened. As a Fitz/Olivia fan, I cannot believe that Jake will do anything more than be the fourth side of this quadrangle –or is it a triangle, cause Mellie will be busy playing mommy to Fitz? The more I write that, the more I just cannot believe it… Can he just have one major complex at a time? I don’t know…anyway, Jake would have been more interesting–and a more welcomed cast member, without the previous episodes of earning whomever, hospital declarations, etc., followed by a too obscure finale. Harrison hasn’t been seen. Does his story end when Jake’s begin? Too many questions–of the wrong kind–for a long hiatus. But, I agree with Nikki here, no more Fitz and Olivia and maybe work on developing the characters in the next season. That’s one way to find out exactly where the fanbase lies.

Comment by mrenee – June 15, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Or someone just has a different opinion than you… it happens you know.

Comment by Jil – June 15, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • lmfao. Please stop talking, you are such a hypocrite. So, you won’t root for Jake, but you’ll root for Fitz who is married and had Jake spy on her? Makes complete sense.

Comment by nanrad – June 17, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jake will be Liv’s new beau because she will save him from b613. Idk how much story line you can get out of that though. But Olivia seems so needy Jake will be almost obligated to stay with her because of it

Comment by mymica – June 15, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think this is good.lazy

Comment by janis beckford – June 15, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Put an end to olitz will be a big drama for the show , and maybe the end of scandal, because fans love olitz a lot . I love scandal and believe me,here in France “SCANDAl is everything with olitz and nothing without.

Comment by Gabrielle – June 15, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Put an end to olitz will be a big drama for the show, and maybe the end of scandal.i’m a huge fan of scandal and believe me ,here in France scandal is everything with olitz and nothing without!

Comment by Gabrielle – June 15, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that alot of fans like Olitz and that their relationship was and still is a staple for the show. Now… I am not saying everyone watches for them nor am I saying that there aren’t any people who would rather watch Olivia with Jake. As a matter of fact some fans could care less either way. Just stating the facts… and I believe that a lot of the frustration regarding Olitz stems from all the promotion they do that highlights them as a couple/non couple with little/no progress with them on the show. Do you agree ?

Comment by Nikki35 – June 15, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad to hear this, hopefully he won’t spend most of S3 in that hole…

Comment by Rachel – June 15, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve loved Scott Foley since his days on Felicity. So I am happy to see he’s continuing. Plus I really didn’t like the idea of ending his story with him being thrown in the same hole as Huck. I want to know what comes next for him. Congrats to Scott!

Comment by Kelly – June 15, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For those who keep saying Scott Foley is so popular… If he was the least bit popular why did his show tank so low? I’ve counted only like 10 Olake fans lol, I’m serious. He’s so damn bland… Please nobody is watching this show for Scott.

Comment by Babe444 – June 15, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You do know that SEVERAL incredibly popular actors have had shows tank, right? Shows don’t survive on the popularity of one actor alone, genius.

Comment by Toni – June 17, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you haha but I did like him on Felicity

Comment by Team OLITZ – September 16, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Olitz fans are now just coming off as classless. This few is definitely spoiling the bunch.

Comment by Moe – June 15, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After watching a short clip of Jerrika Hinton’s sheer joy after reading an email containing news of her promotion to series regular, I feel awful for not congratulating Scott Foley for his promotion. Congratulations to Scott Folley. I still don’t like the Jake character but I’m glad another actor has a job. Fingers crossed Shonda surprises me, pleasantly I may add. No Olake or Jalivia nonsense please.

Comment by Euvee – June 15, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that’s the best attitude to have about it Euvee. I like Jake, not necessarily with Liv, but I like him. So, I see no reason to run the man out of town before he reads his first line as a series regular, lol. So, guardedly optimistic, then? That’s how I’m rolling with it.

Comment by Pam – June 15, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am absolutely THRILLED!!!!

Comment by JT – June 15, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Fitz and Jake are both interesting enough on their own (though I’d give some of their screen-time to fleshing out Olivia’s team — especially Harrison) but I can’t say I like either of them with Olivia. Fitz and Jake both came off as stalkers to me. They were better than Edison (or however you spell his name) who was just incredibly boring but I’d prefer Olivia to stay single or meet someone new.

Comment by Bex – June 15, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great take, Bex. I’m looking forward to Jake being fleshed out further, along with some of the other characters. Should make for interesting viewing!

Comment by Pam – June 15, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s good news if you think of it from this perspective: the show is doing well enough to put another actor on contract! Congrats Scott and welcome to the Scandal family. Congrats ABC for scoring another great actor, a wonderful cast and a phenomenal, creative, well written show that keeps us all enthusiaticly talking, feuding, agreeing and disagreeing, even through the long hiatus. Hurry Season 3!!!

Comment by Pam – June 15, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Olivia and Jakes relationship was all based on lies. I hope the relationship stays in the past b/c it was pathetic and laughable to me. I’m disappointed they are bringing Scott Foley on for Season 3. There are too many other stronger characters that I would like to see developed.

Comment by DJS – June 15, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jake sucks. That is all.

Comment by Kat – June 16, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! I am very happy that Scott Foley is now a full-time member of the cast for season 3. I loved his romantic arc with Olivia. There is a lot of room for further character development. I think that this opens up a lot more creative options for the show whether they keep him as a love interest or make him a counterbalance to the B-613 activities of her father Rowan. I know that OLITZ fans will hate this news, but I think that a love triangle makes the show far more intriguing with more lies…more games…more manipulations…more scandal…to come.

Comment by Annette – June 16, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woo Hoo!

Comment by ams – June 16, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I like Jake as a character. For those who say that he was a creep and a stalker forget that he was doing his job assigned to him by two different people. Fitz ordered Jake to spy on Olivia and Rowan ordered for Jake to get closer to her. He had cameras in his apartment as a safety precaution, which clearly paid off in the end–this was why they were taped having sex. He did not intentionally injured her–Olivia had panicked and things had got out of control. He was trying to explain why there were cameras in her apartment. And he did save her life when she was in danger–Cyrus and when he thought Charlie was trying to kill her.

It seems as if Olitz stans are the ones with the true issue and that is because they believe him to be a threat to the ship. First of all, Fitz was not dumbed down to make Jake look better–he was already drinking and doing other reckless things. Secondly, Olivia ended things with Fitz on her own–it had nothing to do with Jake. Third, depending on how long Jake is in there he could be as messed as Huck. Lastly, Jake did and can serve another purpose in the show.

Not everyone is watching for Olitz. I’m not and I know several others aren’t. People claim that with SF on the show that means that the other characters will not be developed–false. Whether or not SF is on the show, it has no influence as to SR will develop her characters. The reason their development suffered is because of OLITZ–everyone else got shortchanged. A good writer and someone who maps out their stories and characters can find a way to give them some development in AT LEAST 1 out of 22 episodes–SR chose not to. Lost had a huge cast and managed to develop most of their characters.

Then there are those who say that Jake is worse for her than Fitz. Really? Are we watching the same show. This has nothing to do with morality, but Fitz is married and the President of the United States. He can’t sacrifice his marriage without sacrificing his presidency, which Olivia doesn’t want him to do. The affair made Olivia feel bad about herself and made her become depressed.

Comment by nanrad – June 17, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I can say is if they keep Jake leave him down the hole! His a creep! He is like a plastic doll! No real acting skills! His so called love scenes with Olivia had no chemistry!! The thing that has got me hooked on this show is Olitz, so without out it I will loose interest! They are all great actors (minus Jake) and the show is good, but without the incredible chemistry with Liv and Fitz, the pull of the show

Comment by Susan torres – June 18, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show. I like Jake. I love Scott and am glad he will be back. I’m over Olivia and Fitz, however. Why? Because their relationship made everyone miserable — Olivia, Fitz and, of course, Mellie. But to me, Olivia got the short end. She spent the better part of the year in a numb fog of depression. I want her to be happy, not to live her life on a roller coaster of melodrama. We can’t tell if Jake is a good guy or a bad guy, which means he should fit in with the rest of them quite nicely.

Comment by Elle J – June 18, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Jake!!!!!!

Comment by Tiki – June 20, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For sure I am a Die-Hard Devoted Olitz Fan!!
    Olitz is the life line in Scandal, the juice!… the major reason I watch Scandal!

I Love Fitz. I Love Olivia AND I AM CAPTIVATED BY THE LOVE THEY SHARE FOR EACH OTHER, IT IS MAGICAL AND MESMERIZING TO WATCH. They need not kiss nor touch nor even be in the same scene with each other, but Goldwyn and Kerry each have a magic that seeps out of their being, bewitching me, and it especially culminates and ignites in infinite different nuances when their attention is directed toward each other. OLITZ are the chemistry of LOVE plus SEX and it is DYNOMITE!

Now, that said: I like that Jake will remain with the show.

Jake is weird and if there is any chemistry with Olivia (Kerry Washington) it is a Weird type that may even prove to continue to be dangerous for Olivia and even for Jake, because it seems he may be psychologically not capable of knowing the subtle emotions of his heart, especially since they seem to be of a type that lead toward Love for Olivia; but the emotion seems to be a disruptive controller of Jake’s actions. Including that he was not supposed to interfere with B613 possible kidnapping of Olivia but, he even killed the B613 agent to prevent the kidnapping in perhaps too anxious concern for Olivia’s safety and he thus risks his own life. It seems to me Jake did not know he would react in this way; his “love” emotion (that he consciously suppresses) has put him out of control of himself; therefore, a man in his profession becomes a danger to himself and a possible hazard to the woman his heart selects, because he is now an aberrant reactor gone wild and even he does not know truly how to come back into control.

Jake seems to be a little like Huck, except that Jake is not Yet completely psychologically collapsed; but he is a little un-hinged and that is part of and consequent of his profession as a subversive secret agent and trained killer! Due to his profession Jake may have trained himself for years not to be affected by tender emotions of the heart
    and that is why his surprised affection for Olivia has worked upon him like a disruptive poison to his self-control that he had created himself into being.

Perhaps, it is this experiencing of himself out of control that results in a appearance seeming to lack romantic chemistry and almost to the the point of “cold”;.. because Jake is experiencing himself anew, this borderline “psychotic” Jake; Olivia is causing another self to emerge that he thought he buried years ago when first becoming a agent.

Anyway, this is my fantasy take on Jake and on this basis, Jake may inject a very very interesting element into Scandal. I also enjoy that the secret activities of B613 are now being injected into Scandal.
    Indeed, we are going beyond just a scheme of “fixing” for the show; and that’s good, because a show based on just an organization of “fixers” I think would become boring for me and even the magic of OLITZ could not continue to sustain my interest.

I think the inclusion of Jake and B613 (with the fabulous actor Joe Morton at the helm) adds another electric spark in the show’s current.

Comment by Danielle Thomas – June 23, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jake is so hot!!!! Fitz is sexy!!! Wish I had Olivia’s choice. Scott Foley is a great addition.

Comment by ysenat – July 16, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally love jake but i dont think scott foley is the problem most viewers dont like him. If you had anyone as Jake people would continue to hate. everyone just needs to watch the show and not comment on who you hate and why you do. ask the writer she made the characters and wrote the scripts so put your hate comments on her. Goodness LOVE YOU JAKE

Comment by Bianca MC – August 13, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jake is handsome good competition for Fitz but Olivia and Fitz has a very strong bond so its gonna be difficult for them to separate for good. I am all for team Olitz, I dont care who say that we have no more values because we love their relationship. Fitz have been trying to divorce Mellie so he can be with his true love and quite Frankly I am mad as hell that Jake is returning and if Shonda kills off Olitz relationship she is definitely gonna lose alot of gladiators and without the fans the show wouldnt be a success so Shonda better know what she’s doing.

Comment by Team OLITZ – September 16, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes cause if she end them completely im going to stop watching it

Comment by ariel rice – September 16, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Jalivia. Fitz is too self centered. Jake is better match for Olivia. GO TEAM JAKE!

Comment by ren oskir – December 28, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post