Grey's Anatomy Scoop: 4 Actors Score Series Regular Upgrades Ahead of Season 10

Get More: Casting News, Spoilers

Grey's Anatomy Season 10 CastThe doctors are in — and they’re staying.

Grey’s Anatomy has formally handed series regular promotions to Camilla LuddingtonGaius CharlesJerrika Hinton and Tessa Ferrer — who play Interns Jo, Shane, Stephanie and Lea, respectively — ahead of the show’s 10th season, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Season 10 Preview: Has a Marriage Flatlined? Is It Lights Out for Spoiler?

The only intern not to receive an upgrade is Tina Majorino, and that’s only because she’s committed to TNT’s new drama Legends.

The decision to promote the quartet was foreshadowed last December when ABC added series regular options to their contracts. While the legal move didn’t guarantee the actors would be made series regulars in Season 10, it at the very least suggested Shonda Rhimes was considering such a possibility.

Ready, set, react in the comments section below!

Comments (158)

• In a way I’m glad. This will make it easier to break my Grey’s addiction. I like Jo with Alex, but in that capacity only. I like Leah because she shows that she really cares about the patients. I can’t stand Stephanie. She’s the worst version on Yang. And Shane is a whiny brownoser. I only came to tolerate these two when they reduced their screen time. These interns are NOT the future of Greys. They don’t have much chemistry and they don’t have the character appeal that any of the originals had. Or even April or Avery, for that matter. The most all around likeable intern is Tina Marjorino. They should have stolen her from Legends which looks like a flop anyways. This is very distressing news….

Comment by Babygate – June 14, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grey’s is obviously preparing to pass the baton to sustain the show past the departure of all the original characters, a la ER.

Comment by S – June 14, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But why are we shocked they were already regular in 9th season. Shonda just didn’t say it. Because it would have been another thing she lied about. So I guess we have to GRIN AND BEAR IT. Pun intended!

Comment by tiffany – June 14, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WAY too many characters now, and the interns are so boring! They’re unfortunately going to take time away from characters that I actually do care about.

Comment by Ashley – June 14, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • According to Zap2it. Tina will stick around as recurring and when her schedule with her new show will allow it

Comment by ggny – June 14, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s big deal? Why the casting coronaries? Has anyone heard of ER where they rotated cast members in and out at the drop of a hat?

Comment by Jeff – June 14, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am glad Jo will be around full time. Jolex is the pairing I want to see more of next season. I really liked Mark but I’m not upset Eric Dane left. In fact, as a fan of his I am glad. He now will have a starring role in a new show instead of getting 1 line here and there. I do find it hysterical how commenters all believe that they know why every actor left, etc.

Comment by Rynna – June 14, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only intern I liked didn’t get series regular. Lame.

Comment by kavyn – June 14, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too many regulars! I don’t mind Jo because Alex likes her and he deserves some happiness. But do we really need the rest? The only other one I wouldn’t mind them keeping is Tina Majorino. Besides the original, my only other favorite intern was Lexie Grey. I’m having early GA nostalgia and I may need to bust out my DVDs now.

Comment by Julie – June 14, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Bag Lady Boutique.

Comment by bagladyboutique – June 14, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And here I thought they would use season 10 (possible last season for some core characters) to focus on the original characters of GREY’s Anatomy.. This many characters was not necessary. The only new interns I like were Shane (Gaius) and Brooks (Tina)

Very disappointing decision.

Comment by F4DB – June 14, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show does NOT need four more regulars. There isn’t enough screen time per episode to do a decent job of telling good stories for last years regulars, let alone another four! These four just don’t have the acting chops to make their characters compelling to watch. Giving them story lines will just sap more time from the core couples and send more viewers to their remotes.

Comment by chris – June 14, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just love Tessa Ferrer, she’s my favorite one!

Comment by omar – June 14, 2013 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The interns are all dreadful, I’m sick and tired of Arizona acting like an ungrateful bitch after they saved her life by cutting off her gangrened leg, Yang needs to disappear because her character’s gone as far as it can, and April needs to join a monastery. The show is on life support. They should have pulled the plug two seasons ago.

Comment by Cheyenne – June 14, 2013 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they did this move – just so they won’t lose the actors like it happenned with Tina Majorino!

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – June 15, 2013 01:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Interesting theory. I hadn’t thought of that. That could be. The only thing though is that unlike Tina, who is an established, seasoned actor which garners more demand, the other interns, with the possible exception of Jo/Camilla, are not in high demand. They could have signed up Camilla as a regular and kept the others as recurring.

Comment by Babygate – June 15, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t mind the interns ONLY IF Shonda gets rid of idiot Owen, Arizona, Callie and April geez.

Comment by JJ – June 15, 2013 01:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only wanted Camilla Luddington to be made a regular!!!! The others are not big enough characters!!

Comment by Remy – June 15, 2013 04:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does being upgraded to a series regular mean they get more screen time? Not necessarily. This year, Bailey and Karev seemed to have limited rolls and they are series regulars.

Comment by Mary – June 15, 2013 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tina M was my favorite but she has the other job. The other four are okay if they are background noise and keep their screen time limited and as it relates to the other main characters. But I suspect we are going to hear all about their pasts and pain. ABC is setting this up to continue after the originals eventually leave. I sincerely hope that season 10 is the last and they go out with a bang as opposed to limping along with a cast of characters that doesn’t remotely resemble anything like the original magic.

Comment by Tara – June 15, 2013 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tina Majorino and Camilla Luddington are the only ones I like among the new ones. Too bad Tina isn’t a regular.

Comment by John – June 15, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy for those 4 (and hopefully if Tina’s TNT series doesn’t do well, Shonda will bring her back, too) but I really wish Shonda had locked in Jason George. Bailey and Ben are adorable and I would’ve loved to see Ben as a regular. Maybe if Mistresses doesn’t do well, Shonda will get on it this year and snatch Jason up.

Comment by Bex – June 15, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The people complaining about all the new characters really need to consider the fact that the show has always regularly introduced new characters and kept those that popped with fans and the storylines that they’re given the most around. A large cast of characters presents the writers with unique storytelling opportunities that they otherwise wouldn’t have if their cast was simply limited to Meredith, Derek, Cristina, Alex, Bailey and Richard, the only original cast members that are even still around. Just as Jackson and April did before them (and Owen and Arizona before them, and Mark, Callie and Lexie before them, so on and so on…), I’m sure that Shonda Rhimes will develop their characters into beloved assets to the ensemble.

Comment by J. – June 16, 2013 02:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good point. But I have to argue that certain characters like Arizona, and Owen and even April still do not get proper storylines and we still no little about their pasts.

With 11 series regulars the writers struggled properly develop many storylines and characters. I just don’t see how this will work well since they have a few storylines that are carrying over from season 9.

I will admit I hated the interns at first, I thought they were getting shoved down our throats when series regulars who were barely getting any screen time for major storylines were being ignored. They can’t just promote these 4 to series regular status and not give them a good storyline, the only problem with that is will it take away from other characters’ storylines. In season 9 we saw Arizona not appear in 1 episode, appear for like 30 seconds in 3 episodes and less than 2 minutes for like 5 episodes, the same can be said about Bailey, and Webber.

I’m not sure what the point is in promoting these 4 when the writers can’t seem to write good legitimate storylines for the 11 other series regulars.

Comment by cdeno – June 17, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I can understand your concerns about some of the other characters that are already regulars seemingly being ignored, but within the past season, Arizona and her relationship being put on the rocks with Callie was a major plot point during the season finale. Bailey’s wedding and the death of Webber’s wife have also occurred within the past season or two. Owen’s past in the military and in Iraq with Teddy were explored in previous seasons and his relationship with Cristina has been an on-again, off-again subject given a lot of prominence as well as April’s revelation of her feelings for Jackson after a brief engagement. I think, given the extraordinarily large cast of characters with which they have to work, Shonda Rhimes and the writers have done the best that they could. Sure, there have been oversights and missteps made here and there, but what show hasn’t?

Comment by J. – June 18, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d gladly trade Owen for Mousy. Given his past SL with Cristina he’s ruinned for me. Love the actor can’t stand the character and the couple anymore. And I can’t believe the only intern I liked doesn’t come back. Cool! Maybe I won’t coming back for the 10th too, the show is shabby. The couples are walking in circles. They simply don’t evolve!

Comment by Ninna – June 18, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am a late bloomer on Grey’s — would you believe i just had some spare time and i put on season 8 DVD. didn’t stop watching till the last episode! i scoured all the outlets i know for seasons 1-7, while i didn’t stop searching on the net for season 9. i love the reality each episode shows — the equal treatment/exposure of the main characters, i go overboard about their emotions and their dialogues. i agree — i want more of the main characters – derek/mer, owen/cristina, arizona/callie, avery/kepner, alex/izzy (?)… MORE! MORE! MORE! did i say i miss sloan, lexie and o’malley? I DO!

Comment by dlsu4EVER – June 23, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love greys anatomy,and the love story of grey and Derek I hope never end this couple in the series and I don’t like the new interns,so I hope greys anatomy don’t forget your really history because I am #1 fan

Comment by edlyn – June 27, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thanks shonda rymes for greys anatomy I love the serie I have the entire season complete ,I love the history and the cast ,I love everything you do to this series thanksss edlyn

Comment by edlyn – June 27, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UGH. I can’t stand those interns! ESPECIALLY Jo AKA Princess AKA whiny fake cryer.

Comment by LR – July 3, 2013 01:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to stop killing off characters, making them leave, and whatnot. I’m just starting to watch and I’m on the 5th season and I’m already mad, so many characters have left already! And there are so many new characters! I still don’t even know what happened to Burke, and Addison just disappeared! Hahn also left, and they keep introducing new people. I look at the promotional posters and I don’t even know who most of the people are! It’s frustrating, the characters I know and love are being taken off the show.

Comment by Annie – July 12, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post