Grey's Anatomy Scoop: 4 Actors Score Series Regular Upgrades Ahead of Season 10

Grey's Anatomy Season 10 CastThe doctors are in — and they’re staying.

Grey’s Anatomy has formally handed series regular promotions to Camilla LuddingtonGaius CharlesJerrika Hinton and Tessa Ferrer — who play Interns Jo, Shane, Stephanie and Lea, respectively — ahead of the show’s 10th season, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Season 10 Preview: Has a Marriage Flatlined? Is It Lights Out for Spoiler?

The only intern not to receive an upgrade is Tina Majorino, and that’s only because she’s committed to TNT’s new drama Legends.

The decision to promote the quartet was foreshadowed last December when ABC added series regular options to their contracts. While the legal move didn’t guarantee the actors would be made series regulars in Season 10, it at the very least suggested Shonda Rhimes was considering such a possibility.

Ready, set, react in the comments section below!

1. Babygate says:

In a way I’m glad. This will make it easier to break my Grey’s addiction. I like Jo with Alex, but in that capacity only. I like Leah because she shows that she really cares about the patients. I can’t stand Stephanie. She’s the worst version on Yang. And Shane is a whiny brownoser. I only came to tolerate these two when they reduced their screen time. These interns are NOT the future of Greys. They don’t have much chemistry and they don’t have the character appeal that any of the originals had. Or even April or Avery, for that matter. The most all around likeable intern is Tina Marjorino. They should have stolen her from Legends which looks like a flop anyways. This is very distressing news….

2. S says:

Grey’s is obviously preparing to pass the baton to sustain the show past the departure of all the original characters, a la ER.

3. tiffany says:

But why are we shocked they were already regular in 9th season. Shonda just didn’t say it. Because it would have been another thing she lied about. So I guess we have to GRIN AND BEAR IT. Pun intended!

4. Ashley says:

WAY too many characters now, and the interns are so boring! They’re unfortunately going to take time away from characters that I actually do care about.

5. ggny says:

According to Zap2it. Tina will stick around as recurring and when her schedule with her new show will allow it

6. Jeff says:

What’s big deal? Why the casting coronaries? Has anyone heard of ER where they rotated cast members in and out at the drop of a hat?

7. Rynna says:

I am glad Jo will be around full time. Jolex is the pairing I want to see more of next season. I really liked Mark but I’m not upset Eric Dane left. In fact, as a fan of his I am glad. He now will have a starring role in a new show instead of getting 1 line here and there. I do find it hysterical how commenters all believe that they know why every actor left, etc.

8. kavyn says:

The only intern I liked didn’t get series regular. Lame.

9. Julie says:

Too many regulars! I don’t mind Jo because Alex likes her and he deserves some happiness. But do we really need the rest? The only other one I wouldn’t mind them keeping is Tina Majorino. Besides the original, my only other favorite intern was Lexie Grey. I’m having early GA nostalgia and I may need to bust out my DVDs now.

10. F4DB says:

And here I thought they would use season 10 (possible last season for some core characters) to focus on the original characters of GREY’s Anatomy.. This many characters was not necessary. The only new interns I like were Shane (Gaius) and Brooks (Tina)

Very disappointing decision.

11. chris says:

This show does NOT need four more regulars. There isn’t enough screen time per episode to do a decent job of telling good stories for last years regulars, let alone another four! These four just don’t have the acting chops to make their characters compelling to watch. Giving them story lines will just sap more time from the core couples and send more viewers to their remotes.

12. omar says:

I just love Tessa Ferrer, she’s my favorite one!

13. Cheyenne says:

The interns are all dreadful, I’m sick and tired of Arizona acting like an ungrateful bitch after they saved her life by cutting off her gangrened leg, Yang needs to disappear because her character’s gone as far as it can, and April needs to join a monastery. The show is on life support. They should have pulled the plug two seasons ago.

14. I think they did this move – just so they won’t lose the actors like it happenned with Tina Majorino!

• Babygate says:

Interesting theory. I hadn’t thought of that. That could be. The only thing though is that unlike Tina, who is an established, seasoned actor which garners more demand, the other interns, with the possible exception of Jo/Camilla, are not in high demand. They could have signed up Camilla as a regular and kept the others as recurring.

15. JJ says:

I don’t mind the interns ONLY IF Shonda gets rid of idiot Owen, Arizona, Callie and April geez.

16. Remy says:

I only wanted Camilla Luddington to be made a regular!!!! The others are not big enough characters!!

17. Mary says:

Does being upgraded to a series regular mean they get more screen time? Not necessarily. This year, Bailey and Karev seemed to have limited rolls and they are series regulars.

18. Tara says:

Tina M was my favorite but she has the other job. The other four are okay if they are background noise and keep their screen time limited and as it relates to the other main characters. But I suspect we are going to hear all about their pasts and pain. ABC is setting this up to continue after the originals eventually leave. I sincerely hope that season 10 is the last and they go out with a bang as opposed to limping along with a cast of characters that doesn’t remotely resemble anything like the original magic.

19. John says:

Tina Majorino and Camilla Luddington are the only ones I like among the new ones. Too bad Tina isn’t a regular.

20. Bex says:

I’m happy for those 4 (and hopefully if Tina’s TNT series doesn’t do well, Shonda will bring her back, too) but I really wish Shonda had locked in Jason George. Bailey and Ben are adorable and I would’ve loved to see Ben as a regular. Maybe if Mistresses doesn’t do well, Shonda will get on it this year and snatch Jason up.

21. J. says:

The people complaining about all the new characters really need to consider the fact that the show has always regularly introduced new characters and kept those that popped with fans and the storylines that they’re given the most around. A large cast of characters presents the writers with unique storytelling opportunities that they otherwise wouldn’t have if their cast was simply limited to Meredith, Derek, Cristina, Alex, Bailey and Richard, the only original cast members that are even still around. Just as Jackson and April did before them (and Owen and Arizona before them, and Mark, Callie and Lexie before them, so on and so on…), I’m sure that Shonda Rhimes will develop their characters into beloved assets to the ensemble.

• cdeno says:

Good point. But I have to argue that certain characters like Arizona, and Owen and even April still do not get proper storylines and we still no little about their pasts.

With 11 series regulars the writers struggled properly develop many storylines and characters. I just don’t see how this will work well since they have a few storylines that are carrying over from season 9.

I will admit I hated the interns at first, I thought they were getting shoved down our throats when series regulars who were barely getting any screen time for major storylines were being ignored. They can’t just promote these 4 to series regular status and not give them a good storyline, the only problem with that is will it take away from other characters’ storylines. In season 9 we saw Arizona not appear in 1 episode, appear for like 30 seconds in 3 episodes and less than 2 minutes for like 5 episodes, the same can be said about Bailey, and Webber.

I’m not sure what the point is in promoting these 4 when the writers can’t seem to write good legitimate storylines for the 11 other series regulars.

• J. says:

I can understand your concerns about some of the other characters that are already regulars seemingly being ignored, but within the past season, Arizona and her relationship being put on the rocks with Callie was a major plot point during the season finale. Bailey’s wedding and the death of Webber’s wife have also occurred within the past season or two. Owen’s past in the military and in Iraq with Teddy were explored in previous seasons and his relationship with Cristina has been an on-again, off-again subject given a lot of prominence as well as April’s revelation of her feelings for Jackson after a brief engagement. I think, given the extraordinarily large cast of characters with which they have to work, Shonda Rhimes and the writers have done the best that they could. Sure, there have been oversights and missteps made here and there, but what show hasn’t?

22. Ninna says:

I’d gladly trade Owen for Mousy. Given his past SL with Cristina he’s ruinned for me. Love the actor can’t stand the character and the couple anymore. And I can’t believe the only intern I liked doesn’t come back. Cool! Maybe I won’t coming back for the 10th too, the show is shabby. The couples are walking in circles. They simply don’t evolve!

23. dlsu4EVER says:

i am a late bloomer on Grey’s — would you believe i just had some spare time and i put on season 8 DVD. didn’t stop watching till the last episode! i scoured all the outlets i know for seasons 1-7, while i didn’t stop searching on the net for season 9. i love the reality each episode shows — the equal treatment/exposure of the main characters, i go overboard about their emotions and their dialogues. i agree — i want more of the main characters – derek/mer, owen/cristina, arizona/callie, avery/kepner, alex/izzy (?)… MORE! MORE! MORE! did i say i miss sloan, lexie and o’malley? I DO!

24. edlyn says:

i love greys anatomy,and the love story of grey and Derek I hope never end this couple in the series and I don’t like the new interns,so I hope greys anatomy don’t forget your really history because I am #1 fan

25. edlyn says:

thanks shonda rymes for greys anatomy I love the serie I have the entire season complete ,I love the history and the cast ,I love everything you do to this series thanksss edlyn

26. LR says:

UGH. I can’t stand those interns! ESPECIALLY Jo AKA Princess AKA whiny fake cryer.

27. Annie says:

They need to stop killing off characters, making them leave, and whatnot. I’m just starting to watch and I’m on the 5th season and I’m already mad, so many characters have left already! And there are so many new characters! I still don’t even know what happened to Burke, and Addison just disappeared! Hahn also left, and they keep introducing new people. I look at the promotional posters and I don’t even know who most of the people are! It’s frustrating, the characters I know and love are being taken off the show.