Emmys

Emmys 2013: The Supporting Drama Actress Race in Review, Including Our 6 Dream Nominees

Emmy Best Supporting Actress Drama NomineesSince Downton Abbey’s Maggie Smith took home this award not only last year but the one before (though then, the show was competing in the miniseries/movie category), does it really matter who gets nominated? We already know who’s going to win. But, if there was going to be an upset (and no offense to the Dowager Countess, but we’re pulling for one) which actresses would be likeliest to pull it off?

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Supporting Comedy Actor | Supporting Comedy Actress | Outstanding Drama Series | Lead Drama Actor | Lead Drama Actress | Supporting Drama Actor | Outstanding Reality-Competition Series

Review the following slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s Dream Nominees — then hit the comments to vote for who you think are the six best. And check back over the weekend as we tackle the Reality Series race!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Awards, Dream Emmy Nominees, Emmys, Lists

1. Choco says:

If it were up to me, the nominees would be Maggie Smith, Michelle Fairley, Emilia Clarke, Bellamy Young, Monica Potter and Jennifer Carpenter/Hayden Pannettiere.

2. L says:

Definitely Jessica Capshaw, she has given an amazing performance in her amputation storyline this season!!!

3. Patti says:

Jennifer Carpenter
    Emilie de Ravin
    Monica Potter

4. GTS says:

Why is Hayden Panettiere supporting actress?

5. mj says:

Bellamy Young! She portrays Mellie in such an awesome way and it’s time great ‘new’ shows such as Scandal get some love!

6. A.J. says:

No Lena Headey!?!?!?

• Erin says:

I love Lena, but if she didn’t get recognition last year for Blackwater, she’s definitely not going to get it for any season three episodes. And it’s also just not her year. It’s Michelle Fairley’s time to shine. Hopefully, she’ll get her work acknowledged within the next few years, though.

7. Maggie says:

Monica Potter
    Jennifer Carpenter
    Heather Panettiere

8. OMED-Josh says:

I don’t want to live in a world where Olivia Munn gets nominated for Emmy’s.

9. Sun says:

Where is Sandra oh?????? She did incredible acting especially after plane crash episode. She is phenomenal !

10. spring says:

Michelle Fairley does more with one line than a lot of these ladies with 22 episodes. She was a mindblower and deserves an Emmy nomination. And Monica Potter was tremendous.

11. hayden, jennifer carpenter, anna gunn, maggie siff!!! i think hayden will win it tbh.

12. A says:

This has nothing to do with this article but after finishing Orphan Black yesterday Tatiana Maslany better be nominated for Lead Actress. Her performance was absolutely phenomenal. I’ve enjoyed some great shows and performances but nothing has captivated me as much as hers. I was hooked from the start!
    Anyways, back to Supporting Actress, my dream nominees would be:
    -Jennifer Carpenter (please!! and for the win!)
    -Monica Potter
    -Bellamy Young (she was one of the most amazing parts of Scandal)
    -Hayden Panettiere (honestly, without her Nashville wouldn’t be that great. I love Connie Britton but Hayden sings a bit better and put on a way more interesting performance IMO!)
    – Christine Baranski
    – Megan Hilty

13. bobbie says:

Megan Hilty, Emilia Clarke, Elizabeth Moss, Carrie Preston – just because they are so wonderful

14. Karen says:

Christina Hendricks (Mad Men)
    Gwendoline Christie (Game of Thrones)
    Kristin Bauer (True Blood)
    Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad)
    Christine Baranski (Good Wife)
    Michelle Fairley (Game of Thrones)

15. Sonya says:

Why isn’t anybody talking about Joanne Froggatt? She was the lifesaver on a drowning Downton Season!

16. Eugenia says:

MICHELLE FAIRLEY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

17. Ron says:

Please feel free to disagree with me, but Anna Gunn deserves it hands down. She gets a bad rap, but what she did with Skylar in the first half of season 5 was nothing short of spectacular. I thought so when it initially aired, and now that I’m rewatching it again, I think so even more. Say what you will, but she truly deserves the Emmy.

18. DeeKayTee says:

Hayden all the way! She was AMAZING in the last two eps of Nashville!!!

19. Rebecca says:

Christina Hendricks has done nothing on mad men this season worth being nominated for. I think January Jones has done much more interesting stuff this season with the young girl who ran away and the great scenes with don.

20. Caro says:

Archie is the only person on this list who deserves to win!!!!

21. Jenn says:

Maggie Siff <3 !!! THE BEST ! Watch SOA

22. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’d go for Jennifer Carpenter, Joelle Carter, Lauren Cohan, Christina Hendricks, Kelly Macdonald, and Anna Gunn, Kelly Macdonald had a great season on Boardwalk Empire (SEASON 3 SPOILERS) this year with her romance with Owen, dealing with his death, the abortion, leaving Nucky, striking many blows for feminism. Same can be said for Jennifer Carpenter. She had a meaty season and really got to showcase. But for the win, I pick Christina Hendricks, because I’ve been pulling for that one for years. She always kills it on Mad Men.
    I think the nominations will really be Christina Hendricks, Anna Gunn, Maggie Smith, Archie Panjabi, Christine Baranski, and the 6th spot will be either Monica Potter or Elizabeth McGovern. I’m not sure if they’re tired of Downton Abbey yet or if they notice Parenthood. Maybe Maggie Smith wins again. I wish they would stop nominating her, she doesn’t care about things like award shows, and she never goes. Anna Gunn certainly has the episode to win.

23. K says:

Anna Gunn and Christine Baranski all the way!

• Ron says:

I agree. I don’t care what other people say, but Anna deserves it … HANDS DOWN! Skyler was conniving, heartbreaking, twisted, powerful, fragile, take-charge, cowardly, confusing, brilliant, and emotional, all at once. Anna took all of these mismatched adjectives and threw them into her role and produced one of the best supporting performances of the year — and her personal best that I’ve ever seen. She deserves the win. If she can’t win for “Fifty-One” or any other scene she was in in the first half of season 5, then there’s no justice in the world. This is definitely a tough category, but honestly she should get the win.

24. me says:

How is Sara Ramirez not there? Honestly for Greys, I will substitute Chandra Wilson for Sara Ramirez. This woman is just painfully underrated and she is one of the top 5 best on tv.

25. Ritz says:

Christine BARANSKI (The Good Wife)
    Michelle FAIRLEY (Game of Thrones)
    Anna GUNN (Breaking Bad)
    January JONES (Mad Men)
    Elizabeth MCGOVERN (Downton Abbey)
    Maggie SMITH (Downton Abbey)

26. Mrs Heisenberg says:

My wish list…..Morena Baccarin, Michelle Fairley (who I actually want to win), Anna Gunn, Jennifer Carpenter, Christina Hendricks, and Monica Potter

27. Damn Gurl says:

Michelle Fairley (win)
    Emilia Clarke
    Sara Ramirez
    Chandra Wilson

If Michelle doesn’t win, I will throw my tv to the ground

28. Jacinda Watson says:

Bellamy Young

29. I would have put Lana Parrilla in this gallery of deserving actresses. She is very talented and the effort she puts in her performance is class act. I know Emmys don’t really consider fantasy shows drama but what about GOT? Once Upon a Time goes not that far away and, if we are really judging the performance, well, Lana Parrilla should really be up there!
    After all, this year she has already collected an ALMA Award, an Impact Award and she is currently nominated for her second Imagen Award. I would not understimate her…

30. queenie says:

Lana Parrilla is an underrated actress. She’s amazing, so talented. She deserves to be recognized too.

31. camz says:

How about Sandra Oh? she great in Grey

32. Lupe says:

Sandra Oh is not there, and it infuriates me.

33. Cody says:

Jennifer Carpenter, Dexter or Michelle Fairley, Game of Thrones for the WIN

Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad
    Hayden Pannettire, Nashville
    Monica Potter, Parenthood
    Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

And if it were possible….Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones. I just love her too much not to include her!

34. Chloe says:

Madeleine Stowe deserves every single bit of this award. Even though she isn’t on the list she deserves it. No matter what. She has come such a long way and she has played such an amazing role in revenge. She deserves it by far.