What Happens Next: Is Another Glee Proposal Imminent? Will Rachel Be Funny Girl?

Glee Season 5 PreviewTVLine hits rewind on the TV season’s biggest “What Happens Next” finales, then invites you to predict the cliffhanger outcomes

There were just as many questions as there were resolutions at the end of Glee‘s Season 4 finale.

Will and Emma got hitched in the choir room. New Directions pulled off the win at Regionals. And Brittany, having possibly made “the most important scientific breakthrough of the 21st century,” said goodbye to McKinley and headed off to start her work at MIT — without finishing her senior year! (Yep, the end of Season 4 didn’t correspond with the end of the school calendar, meaning Season 5 could/should find time for Nationals, and McKinley senior prom and graduation.)

RELATED | Glee: 25 Best Musical Performances of Season 4

While there’s no definitive word about how exactly Heather Morris’ real-life pregnancy will affect her screen time as Brittany, the MIT development should allow the show’s writers to scale back her presence in the early parts of Season 5.

Two other story arcs, however, ended on truly cliffhanger-y notes. Rachel gave a stunning rendition of Celine Dion’s “To Love You More” at her callback audition for Broadway’s Funny Girl — but we were left wondering whether it was enough to convince producers to cast the college freshman/complete unknown in what’s presumably a multi-million dollar revival.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Orphan Black, Glee, The Americans, Parenthood, Bunheads and More!

Blaine, meanwhile, sought to counsel of an older lesbian couple while making plans to propose marriage to his estranged sweetheart Kurt. And while Kurt’s dad Burt tried to talk Blaine out of it — remember how that worked out for Rachel and Finn, he asked — the season ended with a shot of Blaine clutching some kind of ring box.

Assuming there’s not much time lapse headed into Season 5, what will happen with Rachel’s Broadway dreams? And will Blaine ignore his possible future father-in-law’s advice? Take our polls below — and then hit the comments — to weigh in on how these cliffhangers will play out.

1. Alyssa says:

My favorite characters are Rachel, Blaine, and Finn, just to make clear my biases. Also, I actually like the new New Directions.

I love Rachel and I want to see her succeed, and she has already failed some auditions as far back as the Thanksgiving episode. I hate that her supposed best friend slut-shamed her and felt it his duty to publicly humiliate her to “teach her a lesson.” That all being said, I don’t want to see her land Fanny or even get the understudy. I think it would be far more compelling to see her lose out on one of her dream roles and have to work to gain back her faith in herself. That should come from her friends supporting her, but also Rachel showing some of her old backbone. Then at the end of the series (at the end of the sixth season!) she could get the lead in Evita, or could replace whomever does get Fanny. But she shouldn’t get Fanny so soon.

Hopefully Blaine won’t propose. I would love to see him in a relationship where his boyfriend doesn’t regard him first as a trophy equivalent, then as solely competition, and then as a five-year old child rather than seriously considering the drawbacks to a long-distance relationship (Blaine transferred at Kurt’s insistence for the “best senior year ever” at the beginning of season three, yet Kurt completely ignored Blaine’s fears about a long-distance relationship, and then failed to live up to his promises). Yes, Blaine screwed up by cheating on Kurt, but most of the people who stan Kurt already hated him for daring to be successful when Kurt got crapped on by the writers, and they will hate Blaine even if he begs at Kurt’s feet and never dares to be happy again. I would love to see both Blaine and Kurt move on to people who point out their real faults (Blaine’s naivety and obliousness, and Kurt’s tendency to bully those he’s supposed to care about), while still loving them and fully supporting them. And Blaine can focus on getting into a NY school that will help him achieve his dreams, and Kurt can work toward his goals at NYADA and Vogue.

I would really like Finn to move towards his dreams, and I actually want to see some development on the McKinley side. The dynamic between the new people, if less eye-catching, is that of a true high-school club that doesn’t have 1001 divas trying to outdo each other. The rumors are that the first half of the season, at least, will feature McKinley. Kitty and (surprisingly) Ryder and Unique are compeling, and maybe Jake and Marley if featured less could become so. Since Tina, Artie, Sam, Blaine, and even Joe and Sugar were part of the team people used to love so much, I hate the claims against the new New Directions, and I’ll value what little time we have left of most of them.

• Person who regrets reading this says:

Was there a point to this post, because I think you forgot to get to it.

• Alyssa says:

For someone who regrets reading it, I don’t think you actually read it. I answered what I thought Rachel should do- not get Fanny Brice and initially be disappointed but keep on working hard so she can eventually succeed. I answered what I thought about the Blaine-Kurt proposal- Blaine shouldn’t propose and both boys should be free to pursue their own dreams. And I talked about the future of some other characters. I think you may have forgotten some childhood manners and reading comprehension.

2. Nikki F. says:

I wish Klaine would just GET BACK TOGETHER ALREADY. It doesn’t have to be marriage they just have to be together!

3. Tiffany says:

I for one think Rachel should be the understudy for a woman who has only a fraction of the talent Rachel has. The understudy has a nervous breakdown and Rachel takes over. As for Blaine and Kurt, there had better be a Klaine reunion. Blaine pushed his feeling for Kurt onto Sam because Kurt wasn’t there. Happens all the time. Just because they are engaged doesn’t mean they need to get married right away. Let Blaine graduate, start NYADA, and at the end of the series, marry my favorite boys off.

4. Freniejah ^o^ says:

Blaine is amazing! I don’t know why everyone is saying that he’s so dumb! He’s not dumb, he’s just näive and scared of losing Kurt permanently so he’s just trying to figure out a way to be with him. Blaine and Kurt are both wonderful characters and I am eager to see go this story unfolds. Rachel Berry as Fanny would not come as a surprise to me especially since her rendition of Celine Dion’s “To Love You More” was astounding. But possibly there will be a twist and something unexpected will happen… Bring on Glee Season 5!!! :D

5. Camila says:

I don’t support teen weddings! I love Finnchel, I love Klaine, but let them be teens! Also, I don’t think Rachel’s getting the part… It would be interesting to see her kind of devastated and her friends asking Finn for help to make her feel better :)

6. Kelly says:

I love Glee and Blaine I know that Glee isn’t real and it never will be. Granted, I don’t agree with what that person said but do you think that what you posted was a very mature thing to post?

7. ces says:

I HOPE QUINTANA WILL REUNITE IN SEASON 5… P-L-E-A-S-E !!!!

8. Pepe says:

Whatever, I don’t really care what happens as long as they dial back on the mediocre performers like Darren Criss.

9. Sara says:

This is what happens when you’re on the top – you get the most criticism. Anyway, Darren is great and out on his sold-out tour right now, so obviously lots of people find him a tad better than “mediocre”. I hope Klaine reunites soon – maybe not an engagement just yet, but soon. This whole break-up mess is dragging out for too long and people are going to stop caring, which is sad because Klaine is such a beloved couple and had been an important addition to mainstream television.

• Lydia says:

I ushered at his show the other night and I don’t think you’re using “sold-out” correctly. There were PLENTY of empty seats.

10. Ale says:

“E. She will lose out on the role of Fanny Brice, and (devastated) make the decision to drop out of NYADA, leading her to get a job at a sandwich shop, explore a variety of outrageous romantic/sexual partners, and seek to become the essayist voice of her generation.”
    LMFAO! I swear I’ve never laughed harder!! xD

11. Aldo says:

There should be a poll about Ryder and Unique. And there should also be a poll about what songs they should do next year.

12. Kayla says:

Okay. Stop complaining. We all know what’s going to happen. Blaine will ask and Kurt will say yes. They are soul mates. Rachel and Finn owl get together. She never truly wanted to leave him. You saw, in the beginning of season four. Santana and Quinn will get together. Mr.Shuester’s failed wedding episode. Brittany is pregnant in real life so….we probably won’t be seeing her for a awhile. Ryder is going to leave. Marley is a great character. She isn’t boring. Kitty is a bit like Quinn from season 1 & 2. Unique will stay.

13. ipoptartyou says:

Yes, okay, Blaine may be overly naive, blinded with love , jadajadajada, BUT – Kurt and Blaine DO love each other. The best case scenario would be KURT popping the question before Blaine manages to. What probably will happen: Blaine comes to his senses, they become a couple again, a more mature one, and experience a new honeymoon phase all over again. I mean, we all know how much Ryan Murphy loves his klaine, we have nothing to worry about. Besides, he’s mentioned a klaine weddig quite a few times, never say never.

14. Rose says:

I don’t understand why everyone hates Sam so much. I personally think he’s the best, most sensible character and should have more screentime. It’s the producers fault that they haven’t developed the character properly. Chord Overstreet is an incredible actor in my opinion. Shooting Star showed that. I like Blaine but without Kurt. i think Kurt is possibly the most pathetic character on the show along with Rachel and they both need to be sidelined more next season.

15. jeannie says:

Blaine is a puppet to his masters…the writers. So just cool your jets and watch. If you don’t like it, turn it off.

16. Alex says:

I see Rachel getting the role & maybe freaking out & quiting. The in her late 20’s getting a role that earns her a Tony. As for K/B I see them getting engged after HS graduation. Kurt takes Issabel’s job, has a small fashion line, & does off Broadway acting & on broadway costumes earing him a Tony before Rachel. They want a kid which Racheal carries. Don’t have an idea for Blaine’s carrer.

17. Cynthia says:

I just want the klaine back together.. That all I care for

18. Fernando says:

I LIKE THE NEW KIDS!
    Marley, Kitty, Jake, and Ryder there’s something fresh about them

19. katy says:

I think Kurt should say no and then say they should just date for now, and then after a few episodes, ask Blaine to move in with him. Blaine says no because he wants to graduate school first. Kurt quits his job because it gets to stressful and moves back to Lima. Blaine moves in with him and they get married in season 6. Rachel gets the role as Fanny Brice but drops out and moves to Lima. Santana goes out with Quinn but it doesn’t work out, Ryder talks it out with Unique but Unique gets transferred to a different school. Marley kisses Ryder but Jake finds out and breaks up with Marley. Kitty dates Artie. Tina and Mike get back together. Mike asks to marry her. Mercedes starts dating Puck again. After all graduations, everyone stays in Lima, even Mercedes, Puck, Rachel, Finn, Kurt, Blaine, and Santana. That’s just what I would like…..lol.

20. Brittany says:

1. Rachel gets role as Fanny Brice but she quits and moves to Lima to try and start things up again with Finn.

2. Blaine asks Kurt to marry him but Kurt says no. Kurt says they should start off by dating, but Blaine says Long Distance is not an option so Kurt moves to Lima and Blaine moves in with him.

3. Santana and Quinn start dating but it doesn’t work out.
    4. Marley, Jake, and Kitty get in a fight so they get kicked out of school. (I hate the newbies haha!)

5. Mercedes gets a record deal and dates Puck.
    6. Mike has a Long Distance relationship with Brittany.

21. ebencipe says:

Klaine should start building their relationship first and making for the time that they are away before being engaged. i think Kurt’s dad is still on 50-50 when it comes to his son’s marriage with Blane. As w/ Rachel Berry, well I just wish her all the best since Im a huge fan of hers. Cant wait to hear the result of her audition!!! and ofcourse the growth of the Jarley relationship!! <3

22. Blaine Anderson says:

I’m not going to propose guys, I’m going to ask for him back and maybe pop the question next year but I’m not ready. Liz and Jane made me realize that I’m too young, they waited 30+ years to get married! That really made me open up and see that I’m not ready yet.

23. Kelly says:

I kind of hope that Rachel doesn’t get the part. Mostly because I think she needs to be knocked off her high horse sometimes.

24. Tara says:

Honestly I don’t care if Kurt and Blaine get married right away. I just want them to get back together and have a healthy relationship that actually gets aired. Lesbi honest, I’m pretty sure most people care more about Klaine or ANY of the older couples from season 2/3 than any of the crap that happened this season.

Just sayin’.

25. dyee says:

Please more Finchel moments…
    Season 4 grrrrrrr

26. Esther says:

This is how I would wish for Klaine in season 5: Blaine tries to propose, but Kurt being the more rational here, stops him midway, saying something like “Ask me again in a few years”, with this hinting that he wanna get back together with Blaine, but getting married has to wait till they’re older. Singing “Just give me a reason” by Pink, they get back together. Blaine is accepted into NYADA, and moves to NY – in his own apartment (if he moved in with the other three, him and Kurt would never have quality time to nurse their relationship.) Eventually, Kurt moves in with Blaine – the end :)

27. Sheena says:

I do believe that Klaine should be end game, but for Season 5,I hope that before Blaine gets a chance to propose he finds out that Kurt has officially decided to be with Adam. I think Blaine with a new determination should move to NY and win Kurt back. Kurt has always known that Blaine was the one in his old soul way and though guilty of being flattered by flirting, is a romantic and would have been a one man man for life, but with Blaine’s betrail he is lost and needs to be reminded again why Blaine is the only one for him. This may only come from trying to be with a great guy like Adam, not being able to fall for him, and having Blaine prove he is still the one. Blaine’s affair unfortunately proved to him that Kurt was the one, though Kurt knew Blaine was the one, he need to be won over, hell, I need to be won over for him!

As for the rest of the show, can we just please go to NY and focus on NY people and whoever we put there. I don’t understand the delay. There is such the potential for greatness. Season 4 was mostly agony with bits of genius. The worst was the crushes. I can get that certain crushes could have happened, Tina with Blaine and Blaine and Sam, but it was way to rushed between episodes like “Glee Actually” and “Sadie Hawkins” and I may never forgive the writers for having Blaine sing “Against All Odds” (take a look at me now) to Sam. I would like to see Glee stop killing the characters of our favorite characters with poor storylines and stop reducing the time given to good storylines due because of too many characters and locations.

28. Amanda Pack says:

I only care about what happens to blaine because I’m in love with Darren Criss

29. Martine says:

Plz let Kurt and Blaine get back together in season 5. I know that Blane cheated, but you can see that he is really, really sorry. I love Them as a couple!

30. Martine says:

The only thing I want for season 5 is that Kurt and Blaine get back together, I don´t care if they get marred or not, I just want them back together…

31. GreatOuse says:

Blain will ask Kurt to marry him and Kurt will say NO. But he will be really touched and admit that they can try being a couple again. Especially with Blain so close to graduation and moving to NYC. The ring will end up on the bottom of a drawer but Klaine will be reunited.

32. BabyBee says:

I don’t know why people keep bragging about Darren’s “sold out” tour. Ticket places, like stubhub, bought a lot of tickets then had to sell hundreds at $1 or $2 and have taken a real bath. Know your details before you brag about what did not happen.

33. BabyBee says:

And how can you say Blaine is sorry he cheated on Kurt when he spent the remainder of the season crushing on Sam and singing him a LOVE SONG. And Sam still bragging about Blaine wanting to “do” him is NOT a ringing endorsement for Blaine’s true love for Kurt.

34. Kelly says:

Oh my Wizard God!! Just stop.

35. Esther says:

I wonder when this became a forum, where it was okay to talk down to one another? Thought we were all fans here, who wants the best for the characters we love and root for?

36. Raquel says:

I know that Blaine and Kurt will probably not get married.. Just for the fact that Kurt is still kind of confused about his feelings for Blaine… And his so called bf in New York. Blaine made a mistake and I think he realized how terrible his mistake was and regrets it a lot but Kurt should really forgive him.. Because technically he cheated in His bf with Blaine at the wedding. Blaine is a teenager and right now he is in love with Kurt and supposably wants to marry him..I think they should wait for that.. But they obviously love each other. And I think they will get back together..KLAINE!!!232323

37. John says:

I think that Kurt and Blaine should get married and move to NY and go to collage together they will have prombles and they will over come them because they love each other there are ment to be together no matter what

Kurt and Blaine forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. CASEY says:

CORY IS DEAD :,,,,,( WHY!!!!!!!!!!!

39. Kate G Smith says:

I wonder how Glee will handle Cory’s death in the storyline..Guess no endgame for Finn and Rachel…

40. Josie says:

Blaine and kurt should get back together again and get married, they have so much chemistry and in love, it would be ashamed if they didn’t get back together and get married. It would be a great thing to put on tv , the show has had so much good positive situations about bullying and relationships and it would be sad if they didn’t get back together again and get married. They should continue this show with also the old cast to see where they are at. My only regret is I didn’t see this show earlier, So up lifting and it makes you feel good ty

• Esther says:

All I have to say is that Kurt and Blaine NEED to get back together in some brilliant way, cause with Finn dying its all just gonna be too sad if they don’t… And then Rachel need a new guy, slowly… NOT Brody or Jesse, but a entirely new one, she deserve that…

41. pearladeniran says:

I want sam and rachel to date and also blaine should meet a girl who he would ♥ and make him forget about kurt

• Rachel will NEVER date Sam. For the last time, Blaine is gay. I know you are probably some religious freak who thinks homosexually is the most evil thing ever, but you need let it go. The creators say that Klaine is endgame. Give it up.

42. angelica taylor says:

Blaine should propose to Kurt and they should get married because they are ment for each other

43. Kylee says:

I think people are taking things a little far. Blaine is my favorite character, and while I am not gay, I relate to him well. Come on, guys. Haven’t you ever messed something up so badly that you get that funny, twisting feeling right in the pit of your stomach? I’m betting you have. Well, Blaine had that too. He loves Kurt – that is an undisputible fact. Yeah, he shouldn’t have cheated…but I think he’s paid his dues. He has apologized a million times so now, I think it’s Kurt’s turn to man up and face that he hasn’t been perfect either. We all know that Klaine is destined to end up together, right? They’re perfect for each other. Flawed, but rightly so. As for Rachel, as much as I find her character annoying, she is in for serious, heart wrenching, soul breaking sadness that is going to make every single one of us gleeks wish we could give her a hug through the tv screen. I hope Artie goes to New York, and I hope that Santana finds a love that she deserves. As for the new kids? They are completely uninteresting to me. We knew it would be a challenge for Ryan to incorporate a new generation of our beloved WMHS students, and that’s proving true. But we all have to take time to warm up to them, because they are the future of the show we love so much. My rant is over, but please just remember that Blaine deserves Kurt, they are happiest together and both have earned that!

44. Caley says:

I m Literally in LOVE WITH KLAINE if they are not together I will cry! They are so perfect for each other!

45. Josie says:

they should get married kurt and blaine it would be positive also there are plenty of people who married after high school and still married and full filled their dreams to , it would be sad if they didn’t get back together and get married , this show has been so uplifting couldn’t bear them not getting back and getting engaged and married. also this show should continue because its the first show to show problems in high schools and the music and the dance is so beautiful. also the first show to be from back in the day with values and caring and how kids handle problems this is a uplifting and positive show its just priceless never thought i would see a show like this during this time , it feels like a show that is from the past. i salute the producers and writers of this show , don’t stop this show it would be a big mistake they should just continue and always show the other graduates and where they are now . so that kids get something positive to look for and know that anything is possible. also i was old fashioned and now i see people should love whomever they want . Please don’t stop the show