Emmys

Emmys 2013: The Supporting Drama Actor Race in Review, Including Our 6 Dream Nominees

Emmy Best Supporting Actor Drama NomineesIronically, death may breathe some new life into this category! With two of last year’s nominees — Breaking Bad‘s Giancarlo Esposito (RIP, Gus) and Mad Men‘s Jared Harris (RIP, Lane) — no longer eligible, a coupla slots have opened up for new contenders. (Or one, if Esposito pulls off a long-shot nod for Revolution.) Maybe this is exactly the confluence of events that Southland’s Michael Cudlitz needs to bring home an Emmy to keep his Critics’ Choice Award company?

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Supporting Comedy Actor | Supporting Comedy Actress | Outstanding Drama Series | Lead Drama Actor | Lead Drama Actress | Supporting Drama Actress | Outstanding Reality-Competition Series

Review the following slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s Dream Nominees — then hit the comments to vote for who you think are the six best. And check back Friday as we tackle the Supporting Drama Actress race!

Tags:

Comments (138)

• Cory Stoll is a very nuanced and under-appreciated actor.

Comment by HAP – June 13, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robert Carlyle or Josh Charles should win but I am betting that it will be Larry Hagman!

Comment by Leslie – June 13, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freddie Highmore and David Morrissey. It’s time for the academy to stop overlooking good actors/actresses because they aren’t from a cookie cutter drama. This snubbing of the sci-fi, horror/thriller and fantasy genres needs to stop.

Comment by Betty – June 13, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brendan Coyle didn’t submit this year, so that leaves open a third spot too. Just FYI. And I really doubt Jim Carter will get nominated this year, so you can probably count on four open spots.
    Yay! I couldn’t be more thrilled you guys picked Bobby Cannavale and Mandy Patinkin. Season 3 of Boardwalk Empire was its best to date, and that is because Bobby made it so good. And Mandy Patinkin…oh gosh, Homeland could not have chosen a better scene to end the season on then Saul’s look of relief when he saw Carrie. I get weepy every time I watch it. I really hope he submits The Choice as his Emmy submission. Michael Cudlitz as a dream nominee also pleases me. I don’t know if I would call Corey Stoll one of my dream nominees, but I do think he did a very good job on House of Cards and his character was pretty heartbreaking.
    My dream picks are Bobby Cannavale, Mandy Patinkin, Jonathan Banks, Michael Cudlitz, Walton Goggins, and Jack Huston for Boardwalk Empire. I’ve been dying to see him nominated ever since he first showed up in town as Richard Harrow. If they would only open up the category to seven sports, Vincent Kartheiser would be in my 7th. He is so good at making Pete Campbell terrible. Hard to pick a winner out of such great candidates, but I think I would go with Mandy Patinkin or Walton Goggins.
    This is a very competitive, hard-to-call category, but I’m going to take a stab at it anyway. We will see as our nominees: Peter Dinklage, Aaron Paul, Mandy Patinkin (fingers crossed!), Jonathan Banks, Bobby Cannavale (Emmy voters like him, and he was fantastic), and Walton Goggins. Boyd had a great year this year and was back to his old self. He proved his outlaw days are not behind him after all. It’s not impossible Rob James-Collier and/or John Slattery get spots here though. I think for the win, they go for Bobby Cannavale or Mandy Patinkin. I want to think Mandy can win it, but this isn’t a category that favors subtle performances. Though if Walton Goggins gets in, he’s certainly got a good shot of winning too. So either Walton or Bobby is the winner.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 13, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Britta, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your posts. They are always so well-thought out. Cheers :)

Comment by Jil – June 13, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robert Carlyle is amazing and should be nominated! He plays Mr. Gold, Rumpelstiltskin the dark one, Rumpelstiltskin the spinner…. Such nuanced performances. AND he should be nominated in the leading actor category!

Comment by Leana – June 13, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree.. Why is he in the list for “Supporting Actor”? He SHOULD be in the LEAD Actor category. After all, he Does play TWO Leading rolls in OUAT.. Something is terribly wrong with all of this..

Comment by Jackie Bennet – June 13, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think probably because it is more of an ensemble cast.

Comment by cas – June 14, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • C’mon! John Noble has been outstanding the whole five seasons of Fringe playing like… How many different roles? Not fair he haven’t got an Emmy. Not fair at all.
    And Robert EFFING Carlyle. Hello? At least four different characters (I may say five), who are the same but not the same at all, and some of them include a difficult make-up process to look like and imp. An Imp! Thank you very much.

Comment by Debbie – June 13, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    Robert Carlyle
    Robert Carlyle
    Robert Carlyle
    Robert Carlyle
    Robert Carlyle

Comment by Jackie Bennet – June 13, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can you freakin relax??? Clearly you’re some kinda of OUAT superfan, but your response is so mindnumbingly ignorant and rude. Robert Carlyle is talented but there are plenty of other talented actors. Pretty much everything Mandy Patinkin has been of higher quality than the mess that is OUAT

Comment by Jamie – June 15, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Noble was amazing on Fringe. Walter Bishop role definitely award worthy.

Comment by chris – June 13, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Quoted for truth.

Comment by ashok0 – June 13, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robert Carlyle – Once Upon A Time !!!!!!!! He gives a new & wonderful meaning to the family’s values through the shows fairytales with his indepth character,,, as well as a special magic that transends with his co-actors, and fans of all ages around the world. He deserves to be reconized along with the best actors of the times.

Comment by Judee – June 13, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robert Carlyle is the culmination of the type of acting that most actors only dream about. He possesses qualities that qualify him and puts his heart into his craft. I would love to see him win because he has worked hard to achieve recognition and is so much more deserving of receiving an award than others who only pale by comparison in their acting style and the ability to reach and affect an audience the way he does. A rare gifted talent and one not to be overlooked.

Comment by Cathy Schwerer – June 13, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who doesn’t think Robert Carlyle is God’s gift to acting? Don’t get me wrong, I love OUAT and I love him in it, but it’s not the kind of acting like, say, Aaron Paul does on Breaking Bad or Mandy Patinkin does on Homeland. Those actors are extremely small actors and can take the words of the writer and make a performance out of those words. Robert Carlyle plays over-the-top, which is the character, but not Emmy worthy.

Comment by Rob – June 13, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Michael Cudlitz doesn’t get it, I will openly weep. John Noble is my close second followed by Mandy Patinkin, Nicolaj Coster-Waldau, Bobby Cannavale, and James Purefoy.

Comment by Melissa – June 13, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for supporting Michael Cudlitz. Most definitely EMMY WORTHY. I guess we will weep for joy or weep for sadness.

Comment by gayle johnson – June 13, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My Dream Ballot:

Jonathan Banks – Breaking Bad
    Walton Goggins – Justified
    Mandy Patinkin – Homeland
    John Noble – Fringe
    Henry Czerny – Revenge
    David Morrissey – The Walking Dead

Comment by Stephen S. – June 13, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go John Noble!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by ashok0 – June 13, 2013 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I so wish Matt Czuchry would have left that show two years ago. He got no material for two year and he so deserved to get a chance to be nominated once for that show. He’s doomed to be underrated for ever.

Comment by Lucy – June 13, 2013 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a little surprised this slide show didn’t mention Norman Reedus from the Walking Dead. He had an amazing third season. The Merle zombie scene alone is Emmy worthy.

Comment by Stephanie – June 14, 2013 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Noble!!!

Comment by Hanna – June 14, 2013 02:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Top 6: Robert Carlyle, Mads Mikkelsen, Dan Stevens, Jim Carter, Peter Dinklage, and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

Comment by Nabila – June 14, 2013 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GABRIEL MANN in REVENGE!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Dave – June 14, 2013 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a bit annoyed that David Morrisey got a nom for SDA, but Andrew Lincon didn’t for lead. They are both brilliant actors, but seriously, what does AL have to do to get some credit in the awards world? He doesn’t have to win, but he deserves a little recognition.

Comment by Ashley – June 14, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
    Josh Charles
    Alan Cumming
    Peter Dinklage
    Walton Goggins
    Aaron Paul

Comment by Emilia – June 14, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have yet to see Southland yet but I’m hearing nothing but good things but from what I’ve seen my favorites would be:
    Nikolaj Coster-Waldau – A great season for Ser Jaime, That bath scene is probably the best scene I have seen so far this year
    Aaron Paul – Poor, tragic Jesse. 2 time winner Aaron Paul always brings his A game
    Walton Goggins – Again another actor who always brings his A game. Justified would not be the same without him
    Mandy Patinkin – Didn’t really like season 2 of Homeland but he, Claire Danes and Damian Lewis gave great performances this year

Long Shots: Charles Dance and Jack Gleeson – Two actors who have given great performances this year but are seemingly overshadowed by Peter Dinklage despite his limited screen time. Charles Dance in particular has been great this year

Comment by Alex Quine – June 14, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOW can you add ROBERT CARLYLE in this list??? He IS A LEAD ACTOR, NOT a supporting actor.. He plays 2 seperate parts in the BEST SERIES in TV, and he is remarkable in both.. I NOMINATE AND VOTE FOR ROBERT CARLYLE for LEAD ACTOR in te BEST series on TV. ONCE UPON A TIME!!!!!

Comment by Jackie Bennet – June 17, 2013 03:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My dream picks:
    John Noble – Fringe. I realize its never gonna happen but it is indeed my DREAM to see him finally recognized for stellar work over 5 glorious seasons.
    Aaron Paul – Breaking Bad. Yes, he’s won twice before and is a lock to get on the ballot again this year but DANG he is mesmerizing and is the bleeding heart of this show.
    Charles Esten – Nashville. Because he has the BEST drunk scenes and is just lovely.

Comment by Miranda – June 19, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charles Esten. Unbelievable Dramatic skills and so outside of what we have ever seen from him. Awesome!

Comment by Lola – June 23, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kundan Kumar Actors | Comedy Actors | Actor | Series Actors
    KUNDAN KUMAR Is Actor. He has Nine Year Experience in Acting line.For Contact This Number:- (+91)9819639042 Email:-kk4109@gmail.com

Comment by Kundan Kumar – June 27, 2013 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post