The Voice Top 5 Results Recap: Did the Right Three Acts Make the Season 4 Finale? [Updated]

The Voice Top 5 Results RecapUsher and Shakira arrived at The Voice‘s Top 5 results night wearing black. Was it foreshadowing that their Season 4 journies were about to take a turn for the funereal?

After all, the neophyte coaches’ last respective contestants — Michelle Chamuel and Sasha Allen — were the only two acts who didn’t crack the iTunes Top 10 singles based on their Monday-night performances and thus didn’t see their iTunes votes multiplied by 10.

RELATED | The Voice‘s Judith Hill on Reworking Bieber & Xtina and Coping With Front-Runner Pressure

Oh sure, you can’t determine who’s going home without factoring in phone and online votes, but iTunes has been a pretty solid tool that’s made Season 4 results shows as predictable as a Kardashian’s response to the flash of a photographer’s bulb.

But, of course, no results show can extend a full hour based solely on an announcement that can be spat out in 10 seconds. And so we were treated to a rare cavalcade of performances from Voice finalists of the past — Tony Lucca, Nicholas David and Terry McDermott (but sadly, not Amanda Brown) — as well as Fall Out Boy and a chopped-up Top 5 group rendition of a Poison power ballad. Let’s pause for a moment to cook up some mini reviews:

RELATED | The Voice Top 5 Performance Night Recap: Semi Homemade

Fall Out Boy (featuring Michelle Chamuel), “My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark” | A reasonably solid performance from the emo rock band, though I wish they’d given Michelle a solo verse — or even a freakin’ solo line — so we could’ve actually heard her dulcet tones. (Girlfriend’s efforts on the “I’m on fire!” refrain did provide a vocal upgrade, though. Like Usher so hyperbolically put it, “she is medicine for our country, for our world.”)

Nicholas David, “Say Goodbye” | Once I got past the “I would breathe for you” line — yikes! I wouldn’t want someone stealing that function from me! — I definitely began to dig the Season 3 finalist’s subtle folk groove. Yeah, the lack of beard grooming still gives me the willies, but that’s just my own personal neuroses coming into play, so pay them no mind!

Tony Lucca, “Never Gonna Let You Go” | The Season 2 runner-up certainly sang with enthusiasm, but his acoustic rock jam felt like it washed up on the shore behind the Mumford and Sons wave. I just can’t see “Never Gonna Let You Go” catapulting him to the heights of his former Mousketeer cohorts. Here’s hoping he’s got catchier material on that forthcoming EP of his.

Top 5 Finalists, “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” | Argh…the arrangement cut the verses into tiny individual ribbons for each member of the Top 5, and that’s just not how a song’s supposed to be sung. That said, anyone else end the performance wishing Sasha Allen had chosen this Poison jam instead of “I Will Alwaya Love You” on Monday?

Terry McDermott’s “Pictures” | Hopefully, Season 3’s Scottish rocker made a vow not to cut his sideburns until his wife delivers their new baby in a few weeks. (I kid, I kid!) Dude is definitely keepin’ the classic rock sound alive though, and his voice remains as big and bell-clear as ever.

RELATED | The Voice‘s Josiah Hawley on His Rocky Amy Winehouse Cover and Misheard Coldplay Lyrics

OK, so performances duly noted, the only thing that truly mattered was determining who’ll be competing in next week’s finale. Let’s get to it, shall we?

Sent to Safety (in Chronological Order)
Michelle Chamuel
Danielle Bradbery
The Swon Brothers

Eliminated
Sasha Allen
Amber Carrington

Yep, the Season of Blake Shelton and His Country Agenda continues. Dude has largely found a formula that works for his contestants and determinedly stuck to it — even as some observers (or at least me) have complained that it’s robbed the season of genuinely surprising, thrilling moments.

Michelle, meanwhile, the quirky, bespectacled alt-electro badass who’s tackled everything from Cyndi Lauper to Robyn to Bruno Mars to Taylor Swift, remains the last hurdle preventing a 1-2 finish for the goofy but extremely shrewd Oklahoman who sits the right side of the screen each week pointing to himself and playing the “I’m just the drunk who tries to stay out of their way” card. Could a country vote split give Michelle an edge heading into next Monday? And should I wait to hear the actual performances before I say “I sure hope so”?

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of Season 4 Top 5 results night? Did the right contestants get the boot? Which musical performance did you like best? Sound off in the comments, and for all my reality-related news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. analythinker says:

Hmm… for me it’s not a matter of country genre VS the others, because I love Amber and I think she’s better (vocally -and visually- more appealing) than either Danielle or the Swon Brothers. Perhaps it’s the implication that country voters only vote for pure country artists and don’t really favor diversity…
    Either way, objectivity will always be missing because we all have our own preferences.

• ETG says:

People vote for what appeals to them; it has nothing to do with “diversity” (God, I am SO tired of that word!!!!). You are right in that there is nothing objective about any of this. So, there are no right or wrong choices, just people reacting to something they like (or not).

• HTGR says:

Part of the problem is that country fans tend to love any and all country while fans of most other genres tend to get very picky and might hate on this pop style and love a slightly different one or like this rock but not rock done that way. So the bases get split among contestants while country contestants maintain a monolithic block so it’s a lot harder to defeat them it seems. I mean it’s not always like that, but it seems enough to give them at least some degree of extra advantage and mix in a coach super popular with that crowd and that type of music being the most popular in areas that watch reality tv the most….
      Also many country singers or certainly Midwestern or Southern singers are from small town areas or at least not mega places like greater LA or NYC and so on. So when they make a show their whole region goes nuts with pride, look at the size of the local crowds, the parades, keys to city and then look at say Sasha from NYC. Does the mayor shut down the town, let her suddenly take over Central Park spur of the moment? Was she THE talk of NYC? Look at Katherine McPhee in LA. Did the whole place go nuts? Not easy when you 50 million mega-celebs already established there.

• MsHello says:

That’s so true. That’s why an average Country fellow Tate Stevens beat out all the other fresh teens. I wish that black country guy Willie Jones would audition for the Voice. I wish The Voice would invite that Chinese girl Leah Lewis back again. Sad no chairs turned for her on her blind auditions. The stereotype is Country is white people music. That’s not true. Not so sure Michelle would be successful post Voice, win or not. I see Danielle being potentially very successful if she wins it. She could be the break out star that The Voice is yearning for.

2. Lee says:

I’m not a big country fan, but I do like both of Blake’s finalists and really believe they will have a long career ahead of them. They are sellable. Michelle- no- I don’t believe she will go long term. She is boring, boring boring. Same schict all the time. Sorry, but she is not interesting enuff to keep people interested for long.

• kaba says:

Because Danielle or the swon bros bring anything different to the show weekly? Same shtick? Im confused.

• JerseyGirl says:

Anyone voting for Michelle needs an ear exam.
        That girl is off key about 70% of the time – she could never sell records.

The best voice belongs to Danielle, especially when you consider her age (16) and the fact that she has never had any kind of vocal training – she’s gonna be a superstar!

• Kaba says:

I’d like to think that even though flexing musical experience as a back for arguments is lame.. that there’s at least some value in saying that I’ve practically grown up being trained to know what is and isnt in tune… and though I’ve got a long ways to go… 70% out of tune is such a great exaggeration that my husband eyes are crying.

• Kaba says:

Btw… If I were to say I have friends without vocal training who are definite better singers than Danielle does that mean they are destined for super stardom as well?

• KC says:

I like everyone left in this competition, but if you’re talking about diversity in singing, I’ve got to say, I think Michelle has taken more risks in song choices than Danielle….

• Jenny says:

Lol I agree with the ppl above…how are Danielle and SB not doing the same “schict” all the time? How they kept ppl invested is cause of Blake’s devoted country following, not because they deserve to win.

• Jewels says:

Finally someone w/ sense!!!! Waldo needs way more help than Usher!

• Davey says:

I wish them both a lot of luck. I’ll just never buy their records. I listen to some country but not what they will sing.

• ETG says:

Yes. We are all full of schict. I’ll drink to that!!!!!! :-D

• Lola says:

Finally. I thought I was the only person who doesn’t get Michelle. She puts me to sleep. Sasha’s last performance was amazing; too bad it couldn’t save her.

3. Jenny says:

Michelle vs. country music. GO MICHELLEEEEE!! Let’s win this! #TeamUsher baby!

• JerseyGirl says:

Michelle is the kind of contestant who is compelling only in the reality singing competition. She will be irrelevant in the marketplace. Danielle will be a top selling country artist and will win awards. She’s the Voice’s Carrie Underwood. Maybe not right away, but in a few years. Watch her explode!

• Leo says:

I think it’s pointless to make limp predictions at the moment because it is never a guarantee whatsoever that exposure equates to fame regardless of who the person is.
        Danielle could just as easily flop as could Michelle. The industry doesn’t appear to be about what is a deadlock guarantee, it’s just about who has the right what at the right time.

4. Guitar Blue says:

It’s pretty clear now that the voting demographic is primarily a country friendly, or at least not anti-country audience, Blake’s popularity in the Country field is a factor to start with, and the Swon Bros. were left as the only choice for a guy w/guitar vote, and improved their song choices and delivery – and presto; from long odds to top 3. …………

Danielle is not a “deep country” type of singer, but also has appeal in the soft rock/ballad areas of main stream music. So, she draws some interest from both types of music fans…

Now it will be fun to see if Usher and his fan base, along with Michelle’s growing recognition — can mount a challenge to win. Good song choices within their prime wheelhouse will be crucial now — with Amber and Sasha gone, it’s Danielle’s to win or lose.

• Beezers says:

Whether Michelle wins or not, she will have a career. If Usher can make a star out of Little Beaver, he can make a star out of anyone! LOL

• Alicia says:

I seriously doubt that. I love her personality, but she’s an okay singer at best and isn’t outgoing enough to maintain a fan base. I couldn’t stand Cassadee last season, but she had the charisma to keep her spelt in people’s minds, and I think she could be successful. Javier and Jermaine didn’t have it, and none of thus season’s Final Three do either.

• JerseyGirl says:

Michelle is the kind of contestant who is compelling only in the reality singing competition, like The Voice. She will be irrelevant in the marketplace. Geeky nerd greasy hair girls don’t do too well in the real world. Yes, she will have a career making sandwiches.

• Kaba says:

I really don’t understand your animosity. It just highlights the downfalls on you.. I don’t see what’s productive about commenting hundreds of times how much you hope someone fails as their endeavors and ends of fulfilling nothing in their life when you’re guilty of sitting at home on your computer merely trash talking.
          Don’t get it.

• Davey says:

The Swon Brothers are still in this competition because of Oklahoma. The Voice didn’t let us forget that over and over and then Blake did a benefit show for Oklahoma that continued to be mentioned on the show.

5. East Coast says:

What gives? Danushka Lysek appeared on 24-Hour Restaurant Battle on Food Network a few years ago, according to her bio. Also appeared on Chopped on 7/31/2012 and was chopped after the entree round.

She does seem like an actress, hired to liven things up.

6. Titina says:

Well I for one am so so happy the Swon Bros moved on! They deserved it so much!
    Those performances last night were stellar and they have shown so much growth since it all started. Exciting for them.
    Win or lose those guys will have a great career in country music. They will become big stars.
    Michelle, I am not sure how she will do out in the real world. I just don´t see her appeal. But to each his own.

7. Pizza says:

Not necessarily satisfied, but I’m okay enough with the results. Sure, I was an Amber fan, but that seemed kind of inevitable, her elimination. Adam needs to learn to play to his team’s strengths, and not choose bad songs and think he’ll sail through the competition. Blake is a pretty good coach, but I still don’t see the appeal in Danielle. She has a good voice, but when singing some of her song choices, I expect some emotion, not just a smile. I think her time has yet to come. The Swon Brothers. They’ve definitely surprised me by coming this far, but I find them a little more appealing than Danielle. Lastly, Michelle. To be honest, I think she’s okay. She isn’t enough to win, though, I’m pretty sure of that. Who knows, though? America surprises us every week~

That’s how I feel. It’ll be quite an interesting finale.

• Alicia says:

If it was based on The Voice, the Swons and Michelle would have been gone weeks ago, and some combination of Judith, Amber, Sarah, or Sasha (or even Holly for that matter) would be here instead.

• kaba says:

Under what criteria? What exactly defines what is and isnt “the voice”?

• Alicia says:

Staying on pitch. Being heard over the band. Having a unique tone.

• kaba says:

What poor and uninteresting criteria. So if someone can stay on pitch, sing loud, and have an “interesting” voice (interesting is a subjective thing) then by those standards they reserve the right to win?

• Angie_Overrated says:

Agree with Alicia. The contestants you name (even including Holly) are the “voices.” And Kaba, I think Alicia is referring to technical ability and not factoring in marketing and likeability, which is what these shows usually crown their winners with.

• Sheilalala says:

Hear hear. I’m sick of the pro-Danielle (which for some reason means ‘Michelle looks basher by default-pathetic) fans defending her bland, zero-risk performances by talking about her *potential*. The person who wins the Voice should be amazing NOW. She’s shown no growth except for one performance where she nailed a high note. Yippedy Skip. The only way I will think ‘whoah! She DID deserve to win, is if she does a difficult, risky song and KILLS it. Not with crap like ‘Granpa.’

• Jewels says:

NO just Michelle. The brothers do stay on pitch. She’s the only one that should have been gone a long time ago.

• Jewels says:

Dont ever put the Swons in the same category as Waldo aka Michelle.No comparison at all. Are you tone deaf???????? Michelle should have been gone weeks ago because of her voice!

• Angie_Overrated says:

You’re right. There is no comparison. Michelle is light years ahead of the Swons on basically any measure. And no, I’m not tone deaf. Quite the contrary.

• ETG says:

I disagree. Michelle has a good voice. A REALLY good voice. It’s just her genre and style of delivery that keeps it under wraps; I’d LOVE to see it “unwrapped” for the finale!!!

• Sheilalala says:

Hells ya they would. If it were about THE (most dynamic, unique, powerful, different) Voice, Sarah Simmons would have confetti all over her next week..

8. thedeviledadvocate says:

I think Blake should pull an Adam and have Danielle sing Alanis Morrisette’s “You Oughta Know.”

9. Aaron says:

Lots of people bitterly vow not to watch the show based on the results. I will say that I won’t be watching the finale, but not because I think the show is a scam or because the Final Three aren’t talented. I’m simply not watching out of a lack of interest in the remaining few. Still love the show, still think it was a great season, but am just taking a temporary pass. I didn’t watch last season after Amanda and Melanie left, but came back for this season. I may disagree with America’s decisions, but I can respect them.

• Jewels says:

The voice doesn’t need viewers like you anyway. You serve no purpose if you are just gonna walk away and not see the end result w/ your logic of lack of interest.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Man you’re a nasty one. Chill out. It’s a show. I fail to see how Aaron’s perfectly civil post elicited a venomous response.

• ETG says:

This is refreshing. No bitching and moaning. No histrionics. No sour grapes. Just not interested in the remaining contestants. I can respect that.

10. Andrew says:

The best singer in the competition was sent home. The Swon brothers are crud and don’t belong on he show. Please,stop playing the Oklahoma sympath, yes I said what no one has the guts to. They stink

• Amy says:

There is an irony that Judith was so adamant about not riding on MJ’s death and went home. The Swon Bros milked their Oklahoma link til the last drop and are in the finals.

11. Andrew says:

Sad when someone with no talent makes it far on a show supposedly that is about talent! Team Blake is a joke! There’s a reason the Swon bros never made it yet, they suck!

• BS says:

TEAMBLAKE is legit! Don’t take no sh*t!
      Chew tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco, spit
      Team Adam all gone, Team Shakira all gone, Team Ursher going down
      Kissing and the crickets is the only sound
      Well the boys ’round here don’t listen to any Michelle Chamuel
      Even though she may sound swell, it doesn’t ring my bell
      Backwoods legit, don’t take no sh*t
      Chew tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco, spit
      Aw heck
      Red red red red red red REDNECK :)

12. Zod says:

Anyone else not get what Adam sees in Tony Lucca? The bromance he had with Tony in season 2 cost someone else a spot in the finals who actually got the popular vote over Tony.

13. Kris says:

ok, I had to scroll way down to even post here. That’s because I do not have a TV and have to watch online. Disappointed, in a word that’s it for me. I like Danielle, and I hate to say it, but, she needs to be in competition with kids her age. Wonderful perfect voice, untainted by experience and maturity. Which is why I was hoping for Amber, strength and character define her. I love the Swon Brothers…and Michelle is the top of the crop. Go Usher and Michelle! No split vote..Michelle all the way baby! ok, I may be sad if Swon Bros make third…oh well.

14. Davey says:

Not that it matters now but I read on the Today Show web site that Amber was sick and that’s why she had trouble singing Firework. I wish they had had the sense to change her song since she was able to do Sad despite being sick.

I hope next season they go back to one vote equaling one vote rather than having the iTunes bonus, at least until the country mania subsides.

15. Maaricle says:

Michelle should reaaaaally sing Kelly Clarkson’s “People Like Us” in the finale! It would be flawless and magical.

• Maaricle says:

I know the producers/Voice team probably have songs lined up for the top three already, but honestly if Michelle sang this it’d be perfect. <3

16. TJ says:

Michelle will it it, because The Swon Brothers and Danielle eliminate each other votes.

• Pookie says:

No vote split on the voice, you can vote 10 times for each country act and 0 for Michelle. No cancel out. Blakes acts will finish 1 and 2

17. as says:

I don’t think the country vote cancels each other out….it hasn’t yet…same voters are voting for both of them. I’m disappointed that Amber was eliminated (SAD was just beautiful, but the Katy Perry was the worst of the night…she should have stuck to her roots a little bit more), but I really enjoy the Swons revival of 1970s soft country rock…they’re not unique, but really good easy listening. At this point, I think Blake could run for president and win…he’s got fans and he knows how to mobilize them.

18. Marcinho11 says:

Michelle for the win!!! Down with Blandbery and Snooze Bros!!!

19. Pookie says:

There is no vote split on the voice. You can vote 10 times for each contestant. Therefore, if you are a country fan, you vote 10 for swonn, 10 for Danielle, and 0 for Michelle. This is what differs from the other shows, it’s who you DONT vote for…

• HTGR says:

yup, as I said, until, perhaps, the finale, there is NO vote splitting at all on the voice

• HTGR says:

the one downside to limited voting (without further special restrictions placed). They used to limit votes per team and then I think you only had a limited number to spread around all, but now with a flat ten allowed for everyone, it kills vote split, and lets certain more uniform genres take over more easily.

20. Jerry says:

Are you kidding…..THE SWAN BROS.????? A pair of country western singers,over the
    incredible,deversified voices of the others. Yea just what the music community needs
    2 “good ol boys” singing JUST country western stuff..When was last time their EVER was
    a demand for a MALE duo of country /western singers…..errrr NEVER?

• ETG says:

Head up and locked much??? Try the Everly Bros, Waylon & Willie, Brooks & Dunn, Montgomery Gentry, Big & Rich, and the SWON Brothers, just to name a FEW.

Just more sour grapes. More of this “diversity” bullsh*t. Thanks, I’ll pass.

• TerryT says:

Look at the duo Florida Geogia Line, they are burning up the charts and country scene.

21. dj says:

I thought all of the performances last night were boring. I like the performers, but the songs didn’t go anywhere.

22. Vicki says:

Sasha got robbed. She and the Swan Brothers are the best. I don’t get into Michelle at all. She’s weak on several levels. And her voice is not that special.

• TheKid says:

The ‘Bad Girls’ cheesy disco tune robbed Sasha at chance to be in the finals. Sasha doing ‘Bad Girls’ is like Danielle doing Miley Cyrus’s “Party In The USA” Yikes!

23. Caitlin says:

I am really rooting for a Michelle win and I will use all potential avenues of voting next week for the first time ever.

We all know that Danielle is going to have a big huge career after this regardless of the vote, but I just don’t believe that she is truly deserving of it. She has a voice that’s beyond her years as far as pitch and tone go (although she’s proven she isn’t perfect), but she lacks the emotional maturity and life experience in general to really deliver the songs she’s given. A song with a less upbeat message should not be sung with a half smile on your face the entire time. But a lot of that is on Blake and his inability to anything that could be considered risk-taking this year.

And while I will admit that the Swon Brothers have improved and I don’t feel the need to refer to them as the Snore Brothers every time I see them now, there are more talented performers that went home before they did.

And to those that will point out that Michelle hasn’t been perfect, I will agree. But I don’t need vocal perfection. Songs should have emotion behind them, which she delivers in spades. And sometimes with that emotion comes those little nuances that others would call flaws, but me, I call them wonderful.

24. christen says:

how does team Adam keep getting cut it is not fair that team adam has only won the first season of the voice with Javier. he had very good chance of winning with amber. now blake could his 3rd win between him and usher. it a repeat of last season between blake and ceelo.

25. Ian says:

I’d love to see a blanket ban on Whitney Houston songs on all of these shows. It never, ever ends well for either the contestant or the audience’s eardrums.

• Catfish says:

The producers, Judges, Coaches of many of these reality talent shows for singers – are in an age group where they still encourage chasing Whitney style or her more famous songs. This is another factor, one among many, as to why Idol lost a substantial amount of viewers in the younger demographic this year, and had to clean-house with producers, Randy had to bow-out, etc.,in order to hopefully stop the slide. …………….

While some of the younger crowd discover and enjoy some of Whitney’s really good songs, the great majority of teens and tweens are far more interested in the music of their generation, and you very rarely find any Whitney songs on their mp3’s, download files or in their CD rack. .

• HTGR says:

That depends, you do hear and see some of her poppier, early songs from the 80s, on lists from that age set still.

• HTGR says:

Yeah, that and disco just seem to kill any contestant, it doesn’t even matter if they do them well or not. (I don’t think it always ends badly for the viewer’s ears at all when Whitney is done, but it does seem to end badly in terms of votes.)

26. angelstorm says:

Aww – Amber ! Nooo :(

Oh well . . . Danielle ftw . . .

27. Kaba says:

People confuse the hell out of me when they say that Michelle’s squatting and fist pumping are gimmicky, make her seem like a parody of herself, and take away from her true self..
    I don’t understand how natural performance habits equate to a gimmick. This isn’t something she wasn’t doing prior to the show. She even said in an interview these are things she learned to do for the sake of CONNECTING WITH THE CROWD AND GIVING THEM ENERGY.
    I also don’t understand what is a parody about these acts, she naturally chooses do them and even confirmed it was something she learned to do prior to the show.
    People have some of the most baseless arguments about her squats and fist pumps. Just let the girl have her own damn fun and if you don’t like it don’t vote for god’s sake.
    Complaining about fist pumps and squatting is like complaining about performers dancing during a performance.

28. Honestly I don’t know that I want to watch the finale now that Amber is out and both Danielle and the Swon Brothers are in. Danielle’s face is just so vacant all the time, and Amber could really tackle anything. Here’s hoping Michelle ends up taking it.

29. JM says:

Does anyone think it’s possible that the results (except for the top 12) have been the order of the votes?
    the top 10 reveal went

Sasha Allen
    Danielle Bradbery
    Amber Carrington
    The Swon Brothers
    with Holly leaving and than you can read the top 5 above haha

30. Steve F. says:

A bit sad that Sasha and Amber got eliminated, but I will admit that the Swon Bros. brought their A game this past Monday and deserved that top 3 spot in the finals. Not just that… they’ve actually grown on me; week after week, they’ve been proficient and steadily improving.

Danielle may make it look easy, but I just don’t feel anything from her. If I may make an AI comparison, Danielle is the Jessica Sanchez of this season of The Voice – technically proficient, but needs to work on their stage presence and personality.

Michelle may not have Danielle’s vocals, but she has stage presence and spunk. WIth Usher’s help, she’s become one of the artists on The Voice that I looked forward to the most (Judith Hill was the other one).

I’m hoping it goes Michelle – Swon Bros. – Danielle, although I’d be happy with Swon Bros. – Michelle – Danielle.

• kaba says:

I wouldn’t degrade jessica that far. She at least knew what emotion she ought to present and would do her best to give it

• Steve F. says:

Actually, I was/still am a Jessica Sanchez fan… but the moments she showed emotion were few and far between. There were times when she would stand onstage and sing, and I would go, “That’s it?” At least Jessica’s used her time since Idol to improve herself.

31. Hmr says:

I am upset with Adam for mismanaging Amber! She did not deserve to go home.
    Loved Terry McDermott.

• TheKid says:

Ditto! Adam did not have a direction for Amber. Having her do too many tunes from all over the map. Kinda like diluting her fan base. Amber should have sung at least one Country song on Monday.

• HTGR says:

That’s what stinks though, if you mix country in since nothing can ever get diluted there, anyone who tries different things, tries to keep it interesting, takes some exciting risks, runs so much more chance of getting punished. Sadly, it’s dangerous enough to begin with, but if you have to go up against country country country same old then it’s beyond dangerous. Which is a shame.

32. CAK says:

A few observations about this week and final results:
    1. Don’t discount Michelle’s rabid fans. Did you hear the crowd after her ‘Time after Time’ performance on Monday? It took Carson several minutes to quiet them down, and the same thing happened last night after they announced she was a finalist. Did the crowd do that for Danielle or the Swon Brothers? No. She has a huge following, and she could pull this off.
    2.Nobody has really talked about the Swon Brothers and the difficulty of having to harmonize with another singer. Not that easy! They make it look effortless, and they are funny and natural entertainers. I’m not surprised they are in the finals.
    3.Danielle seems like a sweet kid and I’m not going to criticize her; she has a nice radio voice but doesn’t have the stage presence or knowledge of how to entertain…yet. She may win anyway, and I’m sure she will have a career in country music no matter what happens next week.

• Canadian Fan says:

Very balanced view, CAK. I hope they’ll all bring their A games to the finale and the biggest winner would be the audience. Cheers.

33. KG says:

Michelle has one style and man it has worn thin. That crouching down thing now just looks ridiculously silly. The two best voices were eliminated last night. I’d like to see the brothers take it. Danielle is good, but sings with little to no emotion, probably due to her young age. The two guys who sang last night from last season are far better than the three remaining this season.

• TheKid says:

That’s how I feel. Michelle worn out her predictable squatting and those silly moves she makes. If it were the Gong Show, I would GONG her. Danielle sings so effortless. Clear and pleasant to listen too. As she performs more and more her emotions will come out. Blake will have to do a change up. Danielle will have to do an up temple song. Something from the Faith Hill, Carrie Underwood, or Martina McBride songbook. The Swon boys did great this week. Should do more rock and pop classics like this week for the finals. Maybe a Bon Jovi’s ‘Wanted Dead or Alive?

• HTGR says:

Michelle is a bit predictable with that all, but I still find her the msot interesting left. I go for her for the win. But man it stinks that the two greatest voices left are the only two to no make…. THE VOICE. Bah. I really do wish they would keep country and everything else on their own shows. I know that sounds bad and there are problems with saying that, but it seems the country and everything else just never mixes and it easily forms blocks much more than other genres where any ltitle difference may excite or turn off this person or that.

34. Joe says:

I honestly don’t care who wins. I truly like all of them including Amber/Sasha who just were eliminated. I seriously couldn’t get mad at any of the three winning although I am pulling/voting for Michelle. That said, The Swon’s are good, Danielle is very good and Blake is a used car salesman. He’ll probably have the winner but all of them have done great this season and it’s not as heinous as Idol with a Lazaro situation.

35. thedeviledadvocate says:

Most of the top 12 on The Voice sang very well. All of the top 12 had performances that were not perfect. All of the top 12 performed some songs better than other songs.
    Each week America voted, and each week one or two got voted off, and the fans of the ones who got voted off were upset. It isn’t fair. I couldn’t buy so and so’s itune, the 10x rule is not fair, this show is rigged, my favorite was way better than some of the ones left. In other words, not enough people voted for my favorite and that’s not fair. That is, however, the way it is. Obviously, the people who voted, did not have the same favorite as you did. Some people love Aretha Franklin, while others can’t stand her. Can she sing? Same goes for these contestants, some people love Michelle, some can’t stand her. Can she sing? Some love Danielle, some can’t stand her. Can she sing?
    I find it amusing how passionate some people get about their favorite. I’m guilty of it, as well. What I don’t find amusing is the terrible things some posters post about these contestants. Calling them the Snore Brothers, calling Michelle Waldo, or the use of Blandbery, is just disrespectful to the people who are trying very hard to make a name for themselves by winning a nationally televised singing contest. None of these contestants have done anything to any of the posters here. Calling other posters names is not amusing either.
    I enjoy the spirited debate over who is the best, and who should win, and who may or may not have exited too early. I would just like it to be debated in a slightly more civil manner.
    If I said, I’m a big Sasha fan, and Blandbery is a stepford singer, do you think Sasha would be happy that I’m a big Sasha fan?

36. TheKid says:

The Swon Brothers FTW! Here’s my list of songs that will give the Swons win.
    ——-
    Kenny Loggins – ‘I’m Alright’
    Bon Jovi – ‘Wanted Dead or Alive’
    The Eagles – ‘Peaceful Easy Feeling’
    David Gates & Bread – ‘Goodbye Girl’
    Lionel Richie – ‘Stuck on You’

37. syb says:

Thoroughly predictable.
    Danielle will win. Yawn.

38. HTGR says:

Bah! Not that it was a surprise looking at iTunes.
    Sasha above all was utterly robbed, Judith and Amber too. :( it is kind of rough that for the first time ever on The Voice not a single one the arguably most spectacular voices of the season has made the finale. :(
    Michelle is pretty cool though at least.
    So the Blake take over did happen. Ironically if they had cut two the earlier week, it would not have, most likely, who knew.
    Swon are good, but I don’t think they are spectacular as Sasha’s can be and I’d take Amber too or Judith. Danielle does have a good voice, but I don’t know that she quite has it as much as Sasha or Amber or Judith.
    Yeah the Poison song was so broken up. They sounded good, but it was too broken up. Danielle seemed to fade a bit behind the others. Sasha got so little. Yeah Sasha, strategically should’ve done something like that for both songs. I’m sure she would’ve rocked it out and who knows maybe snuck past the Swon Bros, maybe?? Country vote man though, country vote. People who watch these shows en masse simply hate on Whitney ballads these days and even though she showed great performance and energy with her disco song and even though it wasn’t as disco disco as most disco I’m telling you any time someone does disco their votes just sink for that week, regardless and, these days, recent seasons, the same usually happens for any Whitney ballads.
    bah
    Part of me wonders if even if Blake had had out and out week two left if they still would not have made it and if the show has gone totally x-factor where a completely middle of the road contestant basically won every single week regardless of anything he or anyone else did.
    Anyway best of luck to Sasha!!!!!!!! And Judith and Amber! (and heck to everyone)

39. AP says:

I’ve watched the whole season, and haven’t voted. I thought that the whole final 8 or so were all terribly boring. I too thought that Adam had a powerhouse team. But then during the live rounds, Judith came across to me as a bit pompous. I imagine others felt that way and that is why she was eliminated so early. I absolutely ADORED Sarah’s blind, “One of Us” is an amazing song. She lost her way with really schizophrenic song choices. Amber was a front runner for me, but Firework was truly terrible.

Shakira and Usher had overall weak teams. I found Sasha very generic, even though her voice is lovely. I do love Michelle’s heart. She truly cares, and it’s fabulous to watch. Even if the squatting is just odd. I’m rooting for her to do well.

Although I don’t think they are the best left in the competition, The Swon Brothers are picking it up each and every week. Country music could use a great duo. I find Danielle to be talented but incredibly bland. But make no mistake, Blake’s team is winning not because little lemmings are blinding voting Team Blake. They are pulling through because they are consistent, clear, and on-pitch. They simply don’t make a mistake, and their song choices and delivery are spot on. And when others just blow it, a la Amber with Firework, and no one is blowing the roof off (because, let’s face it, they have all been either bad or boring), consistency is going to carry them through.

I’m rooting for a Swon Brothers win, because I think they have the best stage presence and have grown the most, and because I believe that country music needs a great duo. I’d also be happy if Michelle won, even though I don’t think she’s headed for stardom. But I think it’s Danielle’s to lose at this point. With some effective coaching and a little life experience behind her, she’ll be a star. Even if she’s not exactly the next 16 year old superstar, a la Taylor Swift (who at 16, could both sing and emote circles around Danielle).

• Matrix says:

Taylor Swift may have solid stage presence and is. Great ong writer, but he doesn’t have the vocal chops of anyone in this competition. Ever ear her sing live? It’s not good! Auto tune is her friend.

40. BS says:

Dang it, let’s all sing along. Don’t take no sh*t TEAMBLAKE is legit!
    Chew tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco, spit
    Team Adam all gone, Team Shakira all gone, Team Ursher going down!
    —-
    Red red red red red red redneck

Well the boys ’round here don’t listen to The Beatles
    Run ole Bocephus through a jukebox needle
    At a honky-tonk, where their boots stomp
    All night; what? (That’s right)
    Yea, and what they call work, digging in the dirt
    Gotta get it in the ground ‘fore the rain come down
    To get paid, to get the girl
    In your 4 wheel drive (A country boy can survive)

Yea the boys ’round here
    Drinking that ice cold beer
    Talkin’ ’bout girls, talkin’ ’bout trucks
    Runnin’ them red dirt roads out, kicking up dust
    The boys ’round here
    Sending up a prayer to the man upstairs
    Backwoods legit, don’t take no sh*t
    Chew tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco, spit

Aw heck
    Red red red red red red redneck

Well the boys ’round here, they’re keeping it country
    Ain’t a damn one know how to do the dougie
    (You don’t do the dougie?) No, not in Kentucky
    But these girls ’round here yep, they still love me
    Yea, the girls ’round here, they all deserve a whistle
    Shakin’ that sugar, sweet as Dixie crystal
    They like that y’all and southern drawl
    And just can’t help it cause they just keep fallin’

For the boys ’round here
    Drinking that ice cold beer
    Talkin’ ’bout girls, talkin’ ’bout trucks
    Runnin’ them red dirt roads out, kicking up dust
    The boys ’round here
    Sending up a prayer to the man upstairs
    Backwoods legit, don’t take no sh*t
    Chew tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco, spit

Let me hear you say
    (Ooh let’s ride)
    (Ooh let’s ride)
    Down to the river side

(Ooh let’s ride…)
    Hey now girl, hop inside
    Me and you gonna take a little ride to the river
    Let’s ride (That’s right)
    Lay a blanket on the ground
    Kissing and the crickets is the only sound
    We out of town
    Have you ever got down with a…
    Red red red red red red redneck?
    And do you wanna get down with a…
    Red red red red red red redneck?
    Girl you gotta get down

With the boys ’round here
    Drinking that ice cold beer
    Talkin’ ’bout girls, talkin’ ’bout trucks
    Runnin’ them red dirt roads out, kicking up dust
    The boys ’round here
    Sending up a prayer to the man upstairs
    Backwoods legit, don’t take no sh*t
    Chew tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco, spit

(Ooh let’s ride)
    Red red red red red red redneck
    (Ooh let’s ride)
    I’m one of them boys ’round here
    (Ooh let’s ride)
    Red red red red red red redneck
    (Ooh let’s ride)

(Ooh let’s ride…)
    Well all I’m thinkin’ ’bout is you and me, how we’ll be
    So come on girl, hop inside
    Me and you, we’re gonna take a little ride
    Lay a blanket on the ground
    Kissing and the crickets is the only sound
    We out of town
    Girl you gotta get down with a…
    Come on through the country side
    Down to the river side

41. Averagewhitegirl says:

I was not surprised by the results for the final 3. Adam chose to showcase Amber’s talent by having her perform a jumble of genres, which she did admirably, however, if he had focused on her “country roots,” we would have seen that she is a far superior country singer than Danielle. Blake plays it safe and typically keeps his team in their comfort zone, while the others, especially Adam take more risks. Danielle is a technically excellent singer…but lacks emotion and conviction……and really didn’t stretch or grow artistically during the season. She coasted on the fact that she does a have a very good voice and is only 16 years old. Michelle’s voice transformed the least and it really is quite average. She is a more or less a novelty act. The Swon Brothers grew the most. Good vocals and personalities that connects with people. They have the appeal for mainstream Americans as well. Mainstream America will play it safe and team Blake will triumph again… with Danielle. Yee haw!

42. Eidi says:

I thought the best coach in this competition so far was Usher. Unfortunately, he had the weakest artists in his team, except for Michelle. Adam, on the other hand, had the best artists, but the worst song choices. But Usher’s commitment and song choices would make him to put more than one artist in the finals, if Josiah and Vedo had so charisma as Michelle has. As a Michelle’s fan, I recognize that even she is a sucess because of her song choices. This fact is clear when I see most of her fans complaining about this last week performances. She was less fun than the normal because her song choices (Clarity and Time After Time) were not hits like “Just Give me a Reason”, “Grenade” and even “True Colors”.

• Taylor says:

Usher is a fabulous marketer. He has marketed Michelle to the final three. He has used the emotions of us Americans to get Michelle to the finals and it worked. He has done the same thing with Justin Bieber. He is a great Marketer…Usher wants to win. The question is….”Does Michelle truly have the best voice?” We all know the truth…don’t be fooled by Usher’s marketing technique. I listen to him very closely. He is very good….but for me its about The Voice and Danielle makes this competition look so easy…but that’s because she is That Good…she is a professional…she is The Voice!

• Leo says:

I think you’re making some bold assumptions. I enjoy michelle entirely and i dont ever listen to much of what Usher saya after she performs. Michelle has made this competition look easy herself. I dont listen to people because of marketing, hence why I’ll never listen to any contestant from xfactor s2, i listen because I’m impressed with what they have to offer and how they offer it.
        Michelle is the winner in my head

• Eidi says:

Leo, I think you are the one who are making assumptions, and wrong assumptions about what I said. I never doubted Michelle’s ability of entertaining people without marketing. I’m a fan of hers, as I said. I agree with you I am assuming things when I said about the likely and successful future of Team Usher, if its members have shined bright as Michelle did. But this assumption is based on the critiques that Josiah and Vedo received: their song choices, regardless their potential as singers, were pop hits and they would lead them to advance in the competition, if they have handled these songs. And I do not know why you mentioned X Factor Season 2. Beyond Tate Stevens, the example of country phenomenon, there were great singers, like Fifth Harmony and incredible Carly Rose Sonenclair. Finally, my friend, marketing is a part of an artist you can not avoid to see. An artist career is not a blind audition forever.

• Leo says:

What I’m saying is that you’re assuming Michelle has been riding off of said marketing rather than the merits of her actual voice. Personally i feel she has “the voice” simply because i dont think “the voice” can have such a black and white definition.
            I mentioned xfactor because that show is nothing but marketing tactics and gimmicks left and right so it was just an example

• Eidi says:

Leo, I never said Michelle does not have a good voice. She is a good singer, indeed, that’s why she reached the top 3. I said she is a success because of her song choices and charisma, but not only because of these two factors. And talking about factors, X Factor and also AI might have more marketable contestants, however when you talk about specially Season 2 you find talents too. I guess this variety happens in all reality shows.

• Eidi says:

I agree with you, Taylor, when you said Usher is a great marketer. The best example of this fact is Justin Bieber. Although he is not a good singer, his songs and performance make him a top hit. The same for Michelle, with the difference that she is not a cute type, but has nerd style and moves.

• Eidi says:

Still, if this competition names “The Voice”, the contestant who would deserve to win should be Judith Hill or Sasha Allen. And we both know they won’t, because of the phenomenon called Country Music and its passionate fans.

43. I’m a Swon supporter. Danielle is okay, I mean she has a great voice but she bores the heck outta me. Michelle is so unique and appealing to a much broader audience. I think Danielle and the Swons will split the country vote and Michelle will scrape out the win. Deservedly so. Just my 2 cents.

• Eidi says:

I’m afraid this split of votes won’t happen, unfortunately. There are many country music fans watching this kind of reality show. AI and XFactor are examples of it. Even split, the amount of votes for Swon Brothers and Danielle may likely be higher than Michelle’s supporters. I believe, then, in a union of non-country music fans supporting Michelle. Only by this way, she will win. It’s a pity I can not vote for her, because I’m outside of U.S., that is why I like Michelle and her broader song choices, instead of local country music.

44. Lois Benton says:

The itunes votes are cumulative, which is likely how Michelle got past Amber. But cumulative votes, 10x’s votes (and, remember, THEY are cumulative) means that Michelle could give the best performance on a singing show ever and probably still come in at 3rd place. Poor viewer voting methods = unfair results = lost viewers. It’s a competition, so there should be some relationship between the performance and the results. Michelle should win, she won’t, and, with no reason to watch the show except watch a travesty of preordained results, why bother?

45. waterbug says:

I am done watching for the season…I wish all the remaining contestants luck.

46. Eidi says:

I’m tired of seeing the “blah-blah-blah” in this forum about Danielle’s performances. While the opposites criticize her lack of feeling and emotion when she sings, the fans defend her by affirming she will get that bright with experience. IMO, it’s not enought to have a good voice to win this competition, otherwise, Judith Hill, Sasha Allen and Amber Carrington would be in the top 3. The artist must also amaze and amuse the audience with his/her performance. If he/she can connect feelings and emotions to every fan, there is a true winner. Michelle is the true winner right now. Danielle will be able to win for this reason, however only after some years of experience.

47. thedeviledadvocate says:

Danielle sounds the same on every song? Okay, I have to agree with those of you who say that because she does sound fantastic on every song.
    Danielle has no diversity? Well, she has sung R&B, Bluegrass, Country Pop, Christian, and Country. Her Country songs have been ranged from the Judds, to Tillis, to Messina, to Andrews, to Underwood, to Evans. No one will ever accuse these artists of sounding the same, and if someone does, they simply do not listen.
    Danielle is too young? Was Tanya Tucker, Leann Rimes, Donny Osmond, Tiffany, Michael Jackson, Jackie Evancho, etc. etc. etc. too young? Obviously you cannot compare the success of these superstars to Danielle’s just starting out, but what you can say is that these superstars were younger than Danielle when they started, so the she is too young argument doesn’t hold up.
    Danielle doesn’t connect emotionally to the songs? Well, she seems to be connecting to the people who buy her Itunes, since she has outsold all the other contestants. So that argument doesn’t hold up to well either.

• Eidi says:

You are wrong when you assume a oversell resulting from an emotional connection. Many people may overrate her simply because she looks like a doll, she has a pretty voice or she is a country girl. And I did not see any one, even her fans, saying she’s emotional or feels the music. So, where is the connection you talked about?

• thedeviledadvocate says:

The connection I’m talking about is in the fact that people are purchasing more of her itunes than any other contestant. Are all these people buying her music because she is pretty, young, country, blonde and has a nice smile? When you listen to her on your Ipod, you can’t tell that she is pretty, young, country, blonde or has a nice smile, but what you can hear, is that she has a fantastic voice. The connection most people who purchase Itunes have with the singer of the Itunes they buy, is the way that singer sounds on their Ipod. Danielle is obviously making some very strong connections with the people who buy her Itunes, and that connection is simply how great she sounds.

• Canadian Fan says:

As someone who lives outside of US, I became a big fan of the show. One major draw for me and my family ( who are not country music fans per se) is in fact the cristal voice of Danielle and her unbelievable rise to stardom at this young age in such short time! I would buy her songs on iTunes even though my purchase won’t count for I am not residing in the US. She is that good! I would not buy any song of Michelle for as good as her performance skills and fancy moves are on tv (I am not that crazy about squatting and screaming and head-banging) and she does seem to be nice and genuine, I just don’t think her voice that special for me to want to own her songs. I think many people feel the same way.
      Just my 2 cents as an outsider for whatever its worth. My whole family is cheering for Danielle for a big win. Best of luck to all the contestants!

48. Catfish says:

While these reality shows are running hot on weekly TV, some of the contestants seem like they are on their way to becoming a new star on the boarwalk, then fade back to “somebody that we used to know”, rarely, if ever, seen on itunes or the billboard hot 100 a couple years later…………………………………….. Danielle is likely an exception. There’s plenty of room in the country markets for a young female artist that sings this well and has the connections that Blake can provide………but, she will need an original hit song to establish herself or the dew will be off the rose before long……………………..

Judith, Sasha and Holly all have more exposure now, and it will be interesting to see if they can compete in sales with Candice, Kree, Amber and Janelle from the recent American Idol promo. I remember many bloggers and some of the site writers, insisting that Amber Holcom was going to be the new Whitney, before she was eliminated……young, pretty and so “marketable” that she would be an instant international star. …………………

But then a new show comes along, X-Factor hits this fall, another season of The Voice, new unknowns come out of the shadows on Youtube, etc……. and people lose interest in the game and move-on to the new — unless they consistantly have new hits.

49. Lize says:

Well, I’ve stopped following the show since the two best singers were voted off; Judith and Sara. From then on, I lost the will to watch the show. Now I follow posts and Facebook comments. After the first rounds, it stopps being about the voice and it becomes a charisma show. It was really sad to see fantastic contestants being sent home. For me, this season was disappointing. That’s all.

50. Eidi says:

What songs would you like to listen to in this competition?

I would like to see Sasha singing “Killing me Softly with this Song” by Roberta Flack and Michelle singing “So What” by Pink.

And it is ironic that these three finalists were able to turn only three of four chairs.

• Eidi says:

Sorry, “Killing me Softly With HIS Song”.

And the fact of three of four coachers turned their chairs proves that unanimity in Blind Auditions is not synonym of flawless victory in the competition.

• Leo says:

I wanna hear michelle sing “you and your hand”, “people like us”, “sober”, another robyn song, okay anything by pink

• Eidi says:

I want to hear Swon Brothers singing “Girl you’ll be a woman soon” by Urge Overkill and Danielle Bradbery performing “Mine” by Taylor Swift.