Critics' Choice Awards: Watch Orphan Black's Tatiana Maslany Win Best Actress

She might play multiple clones on TV, but it only takes one Tatiana Maslany to impress the critics.

The Orphan Black star took home the Best Actress in a Drama prize at the Broadcast Television Journalists Association’s third annual Critics’ Choice Awards Monday Night in Beverly Hills.

And since it’s been more than a week since the sci-fi series wrapped its first season, we bet you’re already jonesing for its leading lady. So here’s her acceptance speech in full.

RELATEDCritics’ Choice Awards: Big Bang Theory, Orphan Black Star and Breaking Bad Win Big — Plus: Kudos for Southland, Parenthood Faves

“Thank you so much to the critics,” Maslany says in the clip below. “Our weird little show would be nowhere without you guys talking about it.”

Press PLAY on the video to watch Maslany accept her award, then hit the comments with your thoughts on last night’s winners.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Awards, Video

1. Nicole says:

Bow. Down.

2. Mel says:

Good for Tatiana! That was a tough group of women to beat – Vera Farmiga, Juliana Marguiles, Elizabeth Moss and Felicity (I mean Kerry Russell). She deserves it because out of all those actresses she is the hardest working. Every character she plays is completely different. Love her, love her, love her! And, boy is she tiny!

3. Cate53 says:

She is fantastic in Orphan Black! I love how distinctly different all the clones are. Sarah Michelle Gellar and Ringer, this is how it’s done! Congrats to Tatiana!

• Missmurray says:

Why not back off Sarah? she played twins while Titana played 8 people. hardly Sarah’s fault.

• Jennifer says:

Sarah’s a bit over-rated.

• johnhelvete says:

I think Cate53 was referring to the criticism that SMG and Ringer got by some critics/viewers that there was little difference between the two characters that SMG played on the show.

• dude says:

Um one wore her hair in a tight joyless bun and the other had long, wavy stripper hair. It was like night and day.

• Maki says:

Sarah MG did a pretty good job. I beleive the dynamic of the show and the writing killed her parts. She hadn’t that much to show. much more intense scenes and development was given to the other characters like the Psycho blond ex wife, the nasty daughter, Italian detective and the druggy sober companion.

Back on Tatiana. she does such a perfect job. it’s like having 3 main characters and a badass vilian. and she plays them so differently and distinct. like twin sisters. It was a tough crowd to please but these last 3 OB eps where perfect.

• Nicole says:

Tatiana’s characters are from all over the world, while SMG played twins who were raised together so it’s reasonable that her Ringer characters would have more similarities than the clones.

4. gdv says:

Woah. I had no idea she wasn’t really British!

• Tina says:

She’s Canadian :)

• Ally Oop says:

From Saskatchewan, my neck of the woods. So happy for her! Nice to see a fellow Saskatchewaner do us all proud!

• Jennifer says:

It’s part of the greatness of the show. Also the guy who plays Felix, deliciously I might add, is Canadian as well. I had to look him up because the accent was so great!

• Damn says:

I watched the preview and her English accent was not even that good.
      Maybe it got better throughout the series but in the preview it was pretty much awful.

• iMember says:

You might need to watch the show, because she plays many different characters and she pulls off accents really well for each one!

• dude says:

Her english accent is amazing and I say that as someone from England. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

• Wakey says:

I’m not sure what part of the UK you are living in but her English accent isn’t like any I have ever heard and I have lived in various parts of the country. Its supposedly a Cockney accent but it sounds like someone who was maybe born in the UK but spent most of their live living in Australia, before moving to South Africa, a little time in Canada and the recently returned in London. The accents simply all over the place and is jarring to English ears, its by far the worst thing about the whole show.

• effy says:

Her character Sarah (the British one) was orphaned and grew up most of her life in a US city (or Canada, they didn’t really tell where the series was set) so I can understand if her accent is not perfect as you might say.

• Roger Canada says:

@effy, the action take place in Toronto.
            en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_Black#Location

• Wakey says:

@effy
            The show established that they left the UK when she was 14 and as the pilot is supposed to be the end of 2012 then its hardly most of her life, Infact at most half her life. And it doesn’t explain how it more often than not wanders into an Aussie and South Africain accent. If she had a mix of a British accent and Canadian it would make sense but these other two nations don’t

Felixs accent is much more authentic although does see a little exaggerated but that may just be the case that it just stands out more next to North American accents (Helen Baxendale when she was in friends had that issue and does Johnny Lee Miller in Elementary and its usually the case with Brits on North American TV and Movies)

As I said its a shame as the rest of her performance is stellar (although perhaps the I would be saying the same if I was from one of the other countries one of the clones is from)

• Jennifer says:

I understand what you are saying and you’re probably not wrong. I notice the same thing in parts of the US. Depending on where one is from or where one grew up can obviously effect one’s dialect especially if a person moved around a lot growing up. I can usually hear the dialect almost immediately. I’m from Detroit but I used to work with a lady from North Carolina and the only time most people could hear her accent was when she talked really fast. I worked with another woman from southern Ohio but I was the only one in the office who could “hear” the southern when she spoke. Oddly enough the one I occasionally have hard time understanding is Helena, but I think it’s because she talks with her mouth full a lot.

• Damn says:

@dude
          I’m from England as well so I do know what I’m talking about.
          Don’t just assume I’m not from England.

5. CINPAC17 says:

WELL DESERVED!! I hope this gets her recognized for some EMMY love!!

• Kristi says:

I agree with you! Playing all those different roles and doing it well is a great accomplishment. Emmy here we come!

6. f says:

SO SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS! She is by far the best actress on tv right now. Let’s hope there are many awards to come!

7. RD says:

Thanks for posting that-hers was the only award I really wanted to see be accepted.She was absolutely superb and truly deserved it.Now if only Sherlock was nominated too…..

8. Dee says:

I love how this gets its own article, but she deserves it. Really hoping the Emmy voters give her and the show a chance. She’s fantastic.

9. keith says:

you notice how the clapping was less then enthusiastic lol they were like who is this woman and how the hell did she beat us out for this award….simple put she out acted all of you !!! Well done and much deserved

10. Tama says:

She totally deserves it!!!!!!!!!

11. Sara says:

YES!!!! I think I’m happier about this than her mother

12. Alex says:

Eric Stonestreet’s face when they announce Tatiana’s name will never not make me laugh. He’s like, “who?” I don’t think it’ll be long before everybody knows her name though.

• Babygate says:

Omg! That was the first thing I noticed too. His face. I laughed out loud. I was beyond happy that someone outside the Hollywood elite won it on merit.

13. Tina says:

Best performance of the season.

14. Babygate says:

This made me so very happy. Tatiana sooo deserves it. It’s good to see the underdog get a win. I’m so over seeing people like Juliana Marguelis get nominated over and over again. But my favorite part of this video was the reaction from the crowd, particularly Eric Stonestreet and Sutton Foster in the next table over with their ‘wtf just happened’ expression on their faces. Like they couldn’t believe this little unknown actress from an unknown show could get such recognition. Love it! Go Tatiana!!! Now, can we get the next season to be 15 episodes instead of 10? Can’t wait for the S1 Dvd set to be released.

15. yless says:

She is by far the best actress working today, so happy for her.Did you see the face of the fat guy from Modern Family when she was announced as a winner? I can’t imagine if you saw her tour de force performances on Orphan Black you would be surprised by her winning!

16. Missmurray says:

Wow, tough room.

17. Eliza says:

So happy for Tatiana Maslany! She does amazing work on Orphan Black. Well deserved indeed.

18. Angie says:

This was the greatest thing I’ve seen since Gillian Anderson took home the Golden Globe in The X Files third season, I think. People were just as stunned then, but that win put her on everyone’s map. I guarantee Orphan Black and Tatiana Maslany will be the little engines that could by the time this award season is through.

19. Whatever says:

Tatiana did an amazing job on Orphan Black this Season.
    She deserves the Emmy too.
    I’m also happy that Bryan Cranston won Best Actor in a Drama.
    The Critics definitely GOT IT RIGHT !

20. paula says:

I’m very happy about this! I hope it brings more viewers so we can have many seasons of the show. I’ve been talking it up a lot with family and friends.

21. ck says:

woot!!! this girl and this show deserves all the praise and recognition it is beginning to recieve. It is awesome!!!!

22. Ettie says:

I hope BBC America can give her the promotional push she deserves for the Emmys. She’s the best actress on television right now hands down.

23. Luis says:

LOVE that show! LOVE that woman! An absolutely astounding performance in a remarkable show, I’m so glad the critics recognized her and I hope her peers will do so as well come Emmy time! I am already jonesing for Season 2!!

24. dude says:

GOOD FOR HER! So well deserved. Proud to see a good Canadian girl win the award.

25. JT says:

Well deserved!

26. CJ says:

She is incredible. Lovely to see her being recognized for her work.

27. Melissa says:

Any video out there of Michael Cudlitz’s acceptance? My internet and audio messed up at the completely wrong time. :(

28. Mari says:

YES! I’m so happy! She really deserves this!

29. nick1372 says:

The only thing that could make her winning better is getting a different nomination for every role she pays in that show. She’s seriously AMAZING.

30. cjeffery7 says:

i have no idea if the Critic’s Choice is any predictor for an Emmy nod, but DAYAM that girl deserves whatever praise she can muster, regardless of how relatively small the following is… i could not be MORE pumped for her winning this.

it’s awesome that she thanked the people that helped her get into each individual role, like make-up and wardrobe. NICE.

31. cjeffery7 says:

WHO’S TOM WHO CAME ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE WORLD TO BE THERE TONIGHT?

32. aucarter says:

I’m glad to see a Sci-Fi show get much deserved recognition. Even if the performances are outstanding, they are routinely overlooked if the term Sci-Fi attached to the show. Here’s hoping this will begin the age of recognition for performances in any show regardless of e genre.

33. DarkDefender says:

Well deserved win. That was a really sweet acceptance speech. I love that girl.

34. OMG SHE’S NOT BRITISH?!?! she beat all of those phenomenal women who have all won before and are seasoned actresses! she has a great future ahead of her

35. DeeKayTee says:

Very happy for her! Well deserved!

36. Loriannliz says:

I love the show–I watched every episode and the finale all in one day–and she was great–really deserved her award and more (are you listening Emmy). I think the audience acted like idiots. As for Eric Stonestreet–no one had heard of him until a couple of years ago when he won his Emmy on “Modern Family.” I don’t remember the Emmy audience reacting so rudely! Go Tatiana!

37. vix101 says:

Her accent for the first half of the season – dodgy. Second half of the season radically improved and even if it hadn’t I wouldn’t care as her acting has been spectacular. Helena alone – beautifully portrayed.

38. Elly says:

I don’t know who Eric Stonestreet is? Anyway Tatiana.is awsom and I do know who she is! Hope she gets ALL the praise and honor she deserves.

39. Mel says:

Can I just mention her accent never once sounded Australian, it was perfect and brilliant for the character she played and the history she had. Plus if that’s what people think Australians sound like then you should take a trip down here and see for yourself.

40. Sam Spencer says:

One the finest performances I’ve ever seen. Tatiana is a true Champion.

41. Sam Spencer says:

For someone not affiliated with the American general crowd of performers, it was really refreshing to see Orphan Back and Tatiana Maslany take home such an honor. I wondered if I was the only one watching this excellent program. I’m gratified that I am not.