Video: Tony Awards' Cancelled TV Show Number Brings Out Stars of Smash, New Normal, Go On

Get More: Awards, Video

Several cancelled series enjoyed some time in the Tony spotlight Sunday night — to uproarious effect.

Newly-unemployed Broadway vets Megan Hilty and Andrew Rannells — whose respective small screen breaks, Smash and The New Normal, were axed last month by NBC — joined host Neil Patrick Harris on stage to literally sing the praises of TV (“The perks, the pay, the private jets… “).

VIDEO | Watch (and Grade) Neil Patrick Harris’ Tony Awards Opening

However, Laura Benanti — who is coming off the back-to-back cancellations of The Playboy Club and Go On — was far less reverential about her time on the telly.

RELATED | TVline’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Coming Back?

Press PLAY below and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Was this your favorite moment from the three-hour telecast? And, if not, what was?

Comments (43)

• This was hilarious, but the opening number was just amazing. NPH can do no wrong when it comes to hosting.

Comment by Michelle – June 10, 2013 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought this was really good! I like when actors poke fun at their careers. Lightens the mood. Bravo :)

Comment by Steven T. Sharpe (@ssharpeminor) – June 10, 2013 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow – amazing display of talent and humor. I watched Go On, The New Normal, and Smash (show-killer in training?), so it was nice to have a sort of silver lining.

Comment by Winnie – June 10, 2013 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watched them as well! I was laughing so hard through this.

Comment by Amanda – June 10, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it!! <3 You'll always be Glinda to me Megan!

Comment by Erica Copeland – June 10, 2013 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best award show of them all every year! NPH did a spectacular job as host (as always) Loved this number–very funny! The entire show was terrific. Broadway has the post talented people in the world performing 8 shows a wk.

Comment by LLA – June 10, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just to give credit where it’s due, the number was written by Michael John LaChiusa :) (The opening number was written by Tom Kitt and Lin-Manuel Miranda, the closing number I believe just Lin)

Comment by eloise – June 10, 2013 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For being a show about theatre that stage they were on was horrible!

Comment by Midori – June 10, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s because it was RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, not a “legit” theater. About 10x bigger.

Comment by meme – June 10, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was just hysterical. They were all great.

Comment by Lori – June 10, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Favourite part of the night! I was a huge fan of Go On, Smash, and the New Normal (And th Playboy Club!) which were all NBC, technically, so damn you, NBC, but this was hilarious. I love when Andrew Rannells gets to sing in anything. Because he’s flawless and him and NPH should do things together, I would watch that.

Comment by Ashleytv – June 10, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You can also see it as NBC being the only Network giving these guys a chance in the first place?

Comment by Eli – June 10, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 4 shows, 3 actors, 1 network, NBC.

Comment by danbuckley141 – June 10, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I started flailing when Andrew started singing, and then flailed more when Megan walked out, and just flat out screamed when Laura walked out. I always said that there could be a Broadway show with all the vets from cancelled NBC shows this year … wishes *do* come true!

Comment by Amanda – June 10, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Oscars could certainly take a few notes from the Tony’s. My wife and I have not had the opportunity to ever see a show in NY but we still enjoyed the musical numbers and the sincerity of the presenters and award winners. They wore their hearts on the sleeves and God bless them for doing so. Plus, they were there to entertain not just the audience in the theater but also the audience watching the show on tv. They didn’t take themselves too seriously either and were willing to poke fun at themselves. Now let’s compare this to the Oscars.

For whatever reason, the movies and those who make them still doubt that they deserve to be taken seriously. In some ways this is understandable. Something like the weekends with Bernie movie would never have made it to Broadway. Broadway cannot appeal to the lowest common denominator and make money because if a play flops, there’s no “direct to video” option to recoup their losses. But, getting back to my point, this insecurity leads them to do things which the Tonys can dispense with.

For example, the Tony’s spend far less time on each award. Presenters do not have to “entertain” us with several minutes of snappy monologues or jokes. Instead, the presenters at the Tony’s announce the contenders and then the winners and then get out of the way. The Tony’s are not unashamed either to present major awards before the telecast and to edit the comments made by the winners as with lifetime achievement award recipients. In contrast, everyone who gets a major award gets time to thank everyone from God to Aunt Ethel on the Oscars’ telecast.

Lastly, the Tony’s are an entertainment first and an awards show second. The Oscars reverse that. And so, it’s no surprise that the Oscars are a lot less fun to watch than the Tony’s.

Comment by David P. Graf – June 10, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved that number but Im surprised there wasnt a big dig at NBC or Peacocks or Comcast or something considering all 4 shows were on NBC.

Comment by Steve – June 10, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least Ivy got to sing at the Tony’s after all.

Comment by HarmonyMom – June 10, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Twice in as many weeks, too! ;)

Comment by Thea – June 11, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE “SMASH”

Comment by MARY ANN – June 10, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was a great skit/number. Laura Benanti was my favorite part, I think. She was amazing in Go On, and I am most upset about that cancellation.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch (@mkroggasch) – June 10, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She has a great voice, right?

Comment by Sheila – June 10, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m having trouble understanding one line. When Andrew starts the full song, he sings “I like to star on a tv show-” and then it’s muddled for a line. Any idea what he says? I can’t make any sense of it.

Comment by Amanda – June 10, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He sang “more popular on a tv show” but he pronounced popular weird.

Comment by Monica – June 10, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know if the whole show is available to watch online anywhere? I missed it, but I’d love to see the whole thing!

Comment by lariet50 – June 10, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s on the CBS website – and most of the show is also in pieces on the CBS Youtube channel.

Comment by Rik – June 10, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally want to get drunk with Bitter Laura Benanti.

Comment by Marceline (@MsMarceline) – June 10, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t see the awards show, but i loved that clip! very clever conncection of theater and TV :)
    the talent of theater actors is unmatched!!

Comment by Melissa – June 10, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was hilarious!! Still upset over the cancellation of Go On. Laura Benanti was amazing!

Comment by KBecks – June 10, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was certainly one of the better moments of the evening. Talent exudes on this telecast.

Comment by Joyce Lang (@JoyceLang1) – June 10, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was adorable! I’m still hurting over the Go On cancellation…

Comment by Babybop – June 10, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was awesome!!!! =D Love Megan, Andrew and Laura and OF COURSE Neil

Comment by mrsjolie – June 10, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i really love the new normal and smash. i’m glad both those shows got some what of a proper ending even though they had such great potential to grow.

Comment by Sarah K – June 10, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was just watching the Tony’s on CBS! This was so brilliant and funny. I was rolling over laughing! Fantastic!

Comment by Soapstef – June 10, 2013 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely loved this bit (and thought NPH should mention that his long running show was on CBS) but I think my favorite was the closing number. That was brilliant!

Comment by Nicole – June 11, 2013 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bits like this were the reason that the ratings were up significantly this year. Opening number, this one, closing number, even Lauper singing during the “In Memoriam”.

Comment by Bob – June 11, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did notice they didn’t use anyone from the canceled shows on CBS

Comment by Leigh Sweet – June 11, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a theater fanatic and TV geek I was whooping, cheering and seal-clapping during this and had to watch it back several times!!! I heart Andrew Rannells so much and when Megan came out followed by Laura (doing the excellent ‘drunk’ 11-o’clock number from ‘Company’) it just got better and better.
    NPH is now as fundamental to The Tony Awards telecast as peanut butter and jelly to a good sandwich. They made him a producer several years ago – possibly as a way to secure his services – but can we really hope for a 5th outing in 2014? Would that just be tempting fate – all of his hosting jobs have been very well received and I’d hate for him to crash and burn. Quit while you’re ahead never felt truer but I feel bad for whoever has to take on the mantle…

Comment by Ally_D – June 14, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only saw her briefly, but I’d like to nominate Debra Messing as the best awards show audience member. She was delightful (and delighted) every time I glimpsed her! She clearly loves theater.

Comment by champmav – June 16, 2013 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post