The Voice Exclusive: Usher Talks 'Personal' Connection to Michelle Chamuel's Journey

Usher is a highly competitive fella, but as we’ve seen during his inaugural stint as a coach on The Voice, he’s got a soft, gooey center as well.

RELATED | The Voice‘s Judith Hill on Reworking Bieber & Xtina and Coping With Front-Runner Pressure

In the following exclusive video, Usher talks to the show’s social media correspondent Christina Milian about his last remaining contestant Michelle Chamuel, how his adviser Pharrell Williams instantly pegged the quirky vocalist as one to beat and how her success in the competition has become something deeply personal to him.

RELATED | The Voice‘s Josiah Hawley on His Rocky Amy Winehouse Cover and Misheard Coldplay Lyrics

Press play below for the full Q&A, and for all my Voice news, commentary, recaps and exclusives, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (20)

• Aww.

Comment by CL – June 10, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like his relationship with michelle..I hope she wins the competition.Amber is my 2nd fave..although no one from the voice ever gets a hit,I hope she gets one….

Comment by ruby – June 10, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cassadee’s single is apparently selling well, so maybe Michelle will be successful. I really hope so!

Comment by Dan (Haleyloony) – June 10, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can you just tell me what Usher said? I can’t bear to listen to Christina.

Comment by Kathy – June 10, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t understand the Christina Hate… she seems perfectly sweet and pleasant and not stupid.

Comment by Lydia's Bones – June 10, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s Utterly annoying. Has worse interviewing skills than a piece of wood soaked in rain water and simply doesn’t connect with viewers. I miss the social network correspondent from season one.
        NBC really needs to bring her back.

Comment by Sam – June 10, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Stop being a hater. Christina is beautiful and a great interviewer. You’re just mad because girls like her wouldn’t give you the time a day.

Comment by Phil – June 10, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Oh just shut up Christina. We know it’s you!

Comment by Sam – June 10, 2013 05:46 PM PDT
    • I was thinking the same thing. Not going to listen to her. Would rather miss Usher’s comments.

Comment by Jay – June 11, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE LEGENT

Comment by NURA WAZIRI – June 10, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You aren’t really asking us to watch a video wherein Christina Milian talks, are you? Pas moi!

Comment by Yo – June 10, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi, can someone writedown the Q&A from the video? We who live outside the US can’t play it, and many of us are a big fan of Team Usher.. We love Usher and Michelle.. Thank you..

Comment by Deskynowsky – June 10, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where are you? I am in Italy, and I was able to watch the Q&A. Almost any “sponsored” clip from a US or other-country, like virtually everything posted on the official Voice USA website, is unavailable to me here. When I saw the peacock, I was sure the Q&A would be blocked, but it wasn’t. I was pleasantly surprised (Even if Usher was talking to Ms. Milian.)

Comment by Robert Henry Eller – June 11, 2013 12:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, folks. Don’t waste a lot of keystrokes on Christine Milian (as I am sort of about to do, but in reverse). I mean, how many of you also don’t “get” who goes home, who stays, or who wins, among the contestants. I doubt that there is ever one contestant for whom someone feels, “I’m not watching the show any more if they get sent home.” Right?

It’s the same with Ms. Milian. Clearly, she does not grate on most of the audience, or she would not be where she is. I’ve just learned to at least tolerate Christine, accept that she comes with the territory. Really, she’s innocuous, at worst. She kind of has a thankless job (Other than that I’m sure she’s paid well.). Do you really believe that there is mind-space with-in the Voice for insightful and illuminating tete-a-tete? Do you think the contestants really want to be confronted and challenged while the show is going on?

I learned something from this year’s Michael Slezak’s Idology exit interviews with the AI top finalists. After they’re off the show, and the pressure is down, is the time to learn more about the contestants. So, my advice is, just relax and wait for Mike to interview them later.

Christine Millian does not add a lot of silliness to the already copious amounts of silliness on the Voice. All of our problems and issues should be as big as Christine Millian’s relevance or irrelevance. Enjoy the show. Or worry about the “big issues.” Like the Amanda-Brown-ing of Judith Hill. (To say nothing of the Amanda-Brown-ing of Amanda Brown.) Is this going to be a chronic problem for R&B/Jazz/Soul singers on The Voice going forward? Although I don’t listen to a lot of C&W (I like old-school C&W a lot more than I like current C&W. But then, I also like old-school R&B more than I like a lot of current R&B. I am old school. Hell, I’m just old.) I always like good singing. I can and do enjoy listening to Amber, Holly, and can even appreciate that Danielle is a budding-if-not-mature talent. And I love that there is room, and audience appreciation, for the likes of Michelle Chamuel this season, as there was for Nicholas David last year. But I do want my R&B singers to have a chance, too.

If things keep going this way, I’d really like to see separate shows, or at least categories, for country and non-country singers (Even though I’m sure there will be some valid arguments against this.). I’d even like to see men competing against men, and women competing against women, at least down to the end of the competitions. People do listen to men and women singers for different reasons, I believe.

OK, I’ve run at the mouth too long already this morning. Apologies. But just like you can mute Ms. Milian, you don’t have to read my rantings, do you.

Comment by Robert Henry Eller – June 11, 2013 01:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Michelle will win and bring her career to the next level. And later Usher become good friend of her and maybe her boyfriend!

Comment by Mary – June 11, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely can’t believe she is in the finals. The voters need hearing tests and she is
    so jerky and akward to watch. Radio, maybe. Someone please give her a stylist. It is embarrasing to watch. All those great singers gone…… how on earth is she in the top 3?

Comment by Robert Sharp – June 12, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christina is pretty hot I’m not gonna lie… oh I forgot this was about Michelle and Usher lol

Comment by Calvin – June 12, 2013 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey Robert Sharp.. I’m with you .. Michelle is worse than anyone else who were voted off.. Michelle is really not that great.. Sasha is way too good to not go in the finals.. Michelle should have gone out a couple rounds ago

Comment by Calvin – June 12, 2013 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope Michelle and usher go all the way !

Comment by Marilyn – June 13, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe Michelle is excellent and she has solid vocals.

Comment by Colleen M Toepfer – June 13, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post