Mistresses Recap: The End of the Affair?

Mistresses The Morning After RecapJapanese bondage rope (Is that a thing? Wait, actually, I don’t wanna know), insurance investigations, mysterious business cards and a (mostly) united sisterhood all played their roles in the latest installment of Mistresses.

Wait, what’s that? I recapped Episode 2, you ask? Of course! Like a poker player with four Aces, I remain “all in!” on ABC’s deliciously trashy new soap.

So let’s boil down the action for our quartet of protagonists — while raising pertinent questions we’ll need to see answered in their futures:

* SAVI | Savi kicked off the week like a protagonist in a Natalie Imbruglia song — ugly-crying on the bathroom floor, still in shock that she’d cheated on her husband with ridiculously hot coworker Dominic the night before. So what’s a guilty adulterer to do? Step 1: Confess to BFF Karen (“I cheated on Harry last night. You can be horrified. I’m horrified.”), and then soak in her sage advice not to spill all to Harry — at least not until she figures out why she did what she did. Step 2: Tell other BFF April, who’s feeling a little less forgiving about Savi’s confession, considering she just found out about her dead hubby’s secret love child (“You should’ve kept that to yourself!”). Step 3: Tell Dominic it was a mistake, and it’s not happening again. (“I respect that, but for the record, you kissed me, Savannah,” points out Hunky McTorsofirm.)

And finally, following Harry’s admission that he “handled everything wrong” with regard to their visit to the infertility doctor, there’s Step 4: Confess everything to the doting hubby. Well, everything regarding her ambivalence about getting pregnant. See, Savi is worried that  since they started timing her cycles and attempting to get knocked up, they’ve grown apart (and that SWH — “sex with Harry” — that popped up on her calendar served as an exclamation point on the theory). “I’m not unhappy,” Savi adds, “I’m just not ready to move on to this next phase of our lives.” When Harry asks if that’s all of it, Savi doesn’t hesitate. “That’s all of it.” And as the husband and wife get down to doing what husbands and wives do — when they’ve had a second glass of wine and there’s nothing on TV at 10pm that can’t be DVR’d, anyway — her cellphone rings. It’s Dominic. She ignores it. What does that dude want? It can’t be good. Key questions: Did Savi do right by not confessing the affair? If she did tell Harry, would it be more to ease her own guilt, or does she owe him the truth at all costs? Also, is Dominic about to go Alex Forrest in Fatal Attraction? And do Savi and Harry own a bunny?

* APRIL | So April kicks things off this week calling Karen and Savi and demanding a pow-wow at her shop before the workday begins. (I’m gonna start trying this with my besties, but also demand they pick me up Diet Cokes and McGriddles.) “Paul had a baby with another woman,” she blurts, and Savi’s response to Karen — “my thing can wait” — is another great example of how Mistresses tempers its heightened drama with just the right amount of humor. “I’m puffy and my husband was a lying sack of ass,” April continues, telling her pals about how Paul’s thing-on-the-side showed up at her door with Paul’s alleged son in tow. “He’s a dead lying sack of ass!”

Savi does a little digging to make sure the mistress in question, Miranda, is legit, and it turns out she works at a hotel where Paul booked a lot of “business travel.” (So that’s what they’re calling it nowadays?) Then she finds a mysterious business card for a used car dealership that confirms Paul bought a 2001 yellow Escape (same car Miranda drives!) a few years back. It’s enough to send April back to Miranda’s hotel room to find out what this other woman’s motive is. (Drumroll please…) “I want my son to have what your daughter has,” Miranda says plainly. “I want money.” Grrrl, I am not even trying to hear that! Key questions: Was Savi’s initial instinct right? Could Miranda be a con artist? Wasn’t that car awfully yellow? And was April right to throw some shade at Savi for embarking on an ill-considered affair?

* KAREN | I loved Savi taunting Karen with the phrase “lethal doses of morphine” to try to stop her from meeting up with her dead former patient/former lover’s college-aged son — especially since said lover took his own life using drugs Karen prescribed. Karen, though, gets a second opinion via very hot colleague Jacob (more plase), and he tells her to “be honest about your feelings and do it nicely.” Thus a coffee date with Sam, who spills a beverage on her skirt and later shows up at her office to discuss dry cleaning. “I don’t want to see you again, Sam! Do you understand me?” barks Karen. She can pay her own dry-cleaning, for cryin’ out loud. Also, Hot Dead Guy’s insurance investigator (CSI‘s Gary Dourdan!) is snooping around — and not in a very friendly fashion — implying he might need Karen’s notes on Thomas’s sessions. “NOTES?” asks Karen, like that’s something that went out in the ’80s. Key questions: Why is Thomas’ insurance company investigating his death when it’s common knowledge he had terminal cancer? If Karen even picks up the phone again for — or returns an email from — Sam, will you ever forgive her? And don’t you love how Savi and Karen met at a diner counter for lunch? Keepin’ it real, ladies!

* JOSS | Joss told client Alex she needed to run things in her relationship because she’s hotter than her partner. (Um, alrighty then!) The duo visited another property, dug around in some drawers and stumbeld across “Japanese bondage rope,” and Alex was all “blah blah blah it’s really, really beautiful when it’s done properly.” My favorite Joss scene this week came later on, when she had a new male lover tied up in her bed, and then decided to casually take a phone call from Alex. Those two are SO getting it on next week, yes? Key questions: Is Joss about to put her job in jeopardy? Will the bondage ropes come out when she finally does the deed with Alex?

OK, once again, I’ve passed the 1,000-word count on an article about FREAKIN’ MISTRESSES! Let me turn it over to you: What’d you think of the show this week? What key questions do you have? Sound off in the comments!

1. forwarddad says:

Ugh watched 10 minutes and ugh ugh ugh.

2. TVPeong says:

I’m liking it so far. I’m torn as to whether April owes the outside woman, more specifically, the child anything.

• ollie says:

if she is smart enough she will get a dna test to make sure its his kid.

• the girl says:

Thank you. Let’s start there. And to answer the previous question, April herself doesn’t owe the child (or other woman) anything, but should the DNA test reveal that the woman is telling the truth, the husband’s estate should have included Meredith’s son. I think the son would be entitled to a third, considering April as the wife is entitled to a portion, and her daughter is entitled to a portion. Meredith isn’t entitled to crap.

3. Tatiana says:

My Guilty Pleasure of th Summer? Check. So is Savi going for round 2 with Dom?- I hope becuase their chemistry is a-mah-zing! Hotness. Is Karen going to hook up with Hot other doctor or hot dead guy’s insurance agent? This is a show about girls just “letting go” right? April was out of contol this week – I hope she does a turn around Judgey McJudgerson. Joss meh. Savi and Dom FTW.

4. is it just me or is the background music just freaking awesome???

5. Emily says:

Did any one else get a feeling that Joss and Harry might start a thing between them?

• Saabgirlatx says:

I totally felt that! (Btw, could these sisters be the furthest from looking related, or did I miss something?)

Anyway, loving Mistresses! Both episodes when they were over I was yelling at the tv bc I wanted more. Great soapy-ness. Thanks for recapping!

6. Josh says:

I wonder if she’ll get pregnant? HMMM…Predictable..

• Jane Doe says:

Right? If “SWH” (sex with Harry) was always scheduled on purpose (as mentioned) so that they may get pregnant, then if she does get pregnant this time around we’ll have a “who’s baby is it” mystery on our hands!

7. Marlena says:

Love love love this show I think April needs to get a DNA test before considering anything Savi and Dominic are hot together maybe Joss and Harry might get it on but I think she will explore with Alex 1st and Karen has 3 possible lovers her colleague dead lovers son and the hot investigator but I’m sure Savi will come up pregnant question is who will be the babies daddy can’t wait to see how it all plays out

8. Anthony says:

Not really liking the show. Maybe I’m just stuck on the British series, but who knows. And is it me or do they put way too much make up on the actresses!? I see powder packed on pretty thick!

9. Maggie says:

A+ to the guest stars this week! It’s been WAY too longer since Gary Dourdan was on my TV screen, and Karen’s fellow doc (the hot one) plays Giovanni (the awkwardly adorable/skeezy mechanic who went to school with Jane) on Rizzoli & Isles!

10. Christine says:

Well Savis Marriage is a goner by lying after the cheating so she just might get it on with Dom again. Did an affair on TV ever NOT come out .. cant think of one.
    After all the show is called Mistresses so adultery is the main theme. But for Savis marriage to have any chance to survive she should have told him and deal with it honestly.

11. sara says:

Yes, Japanese rope bondage is a thing. It goes by the name Shibari in the West.

12. Kim R says:

At first I thought this was going to be a fun summer fling (for me) :) but I think I am going to look for something else. I like Alyssa but some of the acting is just so….soapy (no offense soap opera fans!) And I’m not sure who the actress is who plays Karen but, oh dear, she is not good. I stopped watching the soaps in the 80’s so I think I’m moving on. :) Enjoy all!

13. Kathy says:

This is definitely a guilty pleasure and I’m enjoying it for what it’s worth. A lot of it is predictable but I find I don’t really mind.

I can’t understand why Karen destroyed her notes. Not really sure how she’s going to get out of this one because we can rest assured that sexy insurance guy is going to need to see them after all.

April needs a DNA test on that boy and fast!

• the girl says:

That’s what I was thinking. Getting rid of the prescription pad about the morphine was one thing, but deleting ALL of the notes, that was silly.

14. apdubs says:

Michael, regarding your question about why the insurance company is investigating Thomas’s death when they knew he had terminal lung cancer, my best-educated guess is that the life insurance policy in question (like most life insurance polices) has a suicide exclusion, meaning no payout to the beneficiaries if the insured committed suicide, and the insurance company likely suspects that Thomas’s death was not the result of his terminal lung cancer but rather suicide (which is what actually happened, suicide by morphine).

• harleyb says:

I’m betting on suicide by his wife…as in “lethal dose of morphine”….a little before he asked for it. The wife TOTALLY knew about the affair with the shrink!

• Amanda says:

They did mention that not having an autopsy done raised some red flags, which is true.

15. Hey Slezak says:

Hi Michael, you better recap “Devious Maids” too when it starts airing

16. Babygate says:

The whole idea of a show based on the lives of mistresses, as though infidelity is a glamorous and enticing endeavor, its disturbing to me. So, once again big ABC fail in using the wrong name for a show. That being said, because of the cast, I checked it out and I can say this is indeed a guilty pleasure. The performances are honest and compelling. I’m especially impressed with Alyssa Milano. My favorite character though, is Joss. Of course. She’s the funny one with the sane, sage advise even though she doesn’t really care.

17. Amanda says:

Hot damn, if my husband looked like Brett Tucker … I’d never have time to cheat ;)

18. LaLa says:

So, I was busy minding my own business and watching this episode when who walks into Karen’s office but . . . the oh-so-fine Shaza Zulu!!!!! also known as Gary Dourdan, for all you who are too young to remember the dreadlocked rasta from A Different World. Good Lawd, that man looks amazing! I had already decided this show was a keeper for me – what else is there to watch (especially once the playoffs end)? But now that Shaza will be snooping around for a while . . I am all the way in!. Thank you, thank you, thank you, ABC! And here’s hoping for a few shirtless scenes with him and Karen ;).

19. Ohiogirl says:

So good to see Gary Dourdan in something. Hopefully, he is over his demons and coming back to series tv. Missed you,Gary!

20. danielle h says:

I did not enjoy this episode as much..but that could be because we know where it is all going…they need to stop showing previews for further and further out at the end of the episode because 3/4 of the season has already been spoiled.

• Brooke says:

I totally agree. Quit letting us know what’s going to happen. A tease after the first episode was enough. Don’t give everything away…

21. Yaz says:

Hate that John is gone, but Gary is staying for a while…go get him Karen ;)!

22. Charli says:

I can’t comment because I was obsessed with the British version of this show and it is following pretty closely to that.