Emmys

Emmys 2013: The Drama Series Race in Review, Including Our 6 Dream Nominees

Emmy Best Drama Series NomineesThe shows that have won the best drama Emmy for the past five years, AMC’s Mad Men and Showtime’s Homeland, both have been going through up-and-down seasons recently. That is not expected to affect the awards juggernauts’ nomination chances, but it does open the door to an upset come September from likely contenders Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones or Downton Abbey.

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Supporting Comedy Actor | Supporting Comedy Actress | Lead Drama Actor | Lead Drama Actress | Supporting Drama Actor | Supporting Drama Actress | Outstanding Reality-Competition Series

Review the following slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s Dream Nominees — then hit the comments to vote for who you think are the six best. And check back Tuesday as we tackle the Outstanding Drama Actor race!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Awards, Dream Emmy Nominees, Emmys, Lists

1. Elise says:

Fringe! Last chance to recognize one of the most moving shows in recent memory.

2. Patti says:

Once Upon a Time
    Fringe

3. corey says:

Gme of Thrones NEEDS and deserves some EMMY love!

4. Britta Unfiltered says:

I was just going through your nominees listed and wanted to mention really fast that Bobby Cannavale isn’t being submitted in the guest category, he’s in the supporting actor category for Boardwalk Empire. And you’re right, he was fantastic, and I believe he is absolutely getting nominated for that.

5. Charlene Doiglass says:

I haven’t seen most of those shows. My top picks out of the ones I have seen are
    Southland
    Justified
    Newsroom
    Sons of Anarchy
    All are very well written and acted but I must say Southland is the best of the 4.

6. Chelsea says:

I just want to give a shout out to ‘The Hour’ – far and away one of the best written/acted shows. Ben Wishaw is utterly brilliant and the rest of the cast are pretty amazing themselves. I’d love to see it get a little recognition

7. omabin says:

The Walking Dead
    Homeland
    Dexter
    Game of Thrones
    Scandal

For 6th: Suits (but it will never happen, I am surprised you even put it up there), The Following (but even though I love it, the writing was uneven enough to leave it out), The Good Wife (I love the good wife, but even though it had an incredible second half, its first half was not as good as usual with the kalinda storyline), Revenge (if i did not happen last year, there is zero chance it happens this year, but I loved the season as much as season 1, especially the second half, yeah I know I am a minority and all) .. I would go with Revenge.

• omabin says:

I forgot about Orphan Black. I would give it the 6th nomination!

• omabin says:

But anyway, my guesses (not wishes) are: Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Homeland, Downtown Abbey, Game of Thrones… The 6th is a very big wild card. I don’t think BE will be nominated again. I think they will give it to a broadcaster honestly and The Good Wife is still the best bet for that but that damn kalinda storyline that everyone is forgetting kind of screws their odds, critics had universal hate for that storyline. I will say The Following, but really it is up for grabs

• MrMank says:

That’s OK…they forgot about Orphan Black, too.

8. Britta Unfiltered says:

I honestly think we’re getting the exact same drama show nominees this year that we did last year. Homeland (still a great show), Mad Men (still a great show and having a good season), Breaking Bad (always awesome), Downton Abbey (people who aren’t me seem to oddly love it), Boardwalk Empire (had its best season to date), and Game of Thrones (just because). I still think Homeland will win despite the criticisms. I think they’re going to save the Breaking Bad win for the final season. And if Downton Abbey wins I’ll throw up.
    But if this were my dream list, I would be voting for Homeland, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Justified, and Shameless. Homeland for the win. Or maybe Justified.

9. Rob says:

Is there a website where one can see for certain for what categories actors are being submitted? Thanks

10. Lauren says:

I really hope Emmy Rossum gets a long-overdue nomination this year.

11. Neil says:

As TV evolves, so must the Emmys. Just like there are daytime and primetime Emmys, there can be cable and network.

Networks have greater restrictions on what they can do. This is fact

I’m not saying better or worse, but it’s only fair to compare apples to apples

It’s like comparing Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt. Even though they’re both Olympians, they are too different to say which is better

• johnhelvete says:

If The Good Wife were to win the Emmy this year for best network drama, at best it would be considered the second best show on TV. But what you are really going to have is a bunch of articles on why all of the 5 shows nominated for best drama cable (I am assuming by splitting the category the Emmys would only do 5 in each category) would win the Emmy in the network category.

12. Erika says:

I doubt Scandal will get nominated, but Bellamy Young, Guillermo Diaz and Jeff Perry absolutely should.

13. Jim says:

Why can’t NCIS ever get nominated in this category???

14. Susan torres says:

Scandal is the best tv series ever! It should win hands down!!!!!

15. KMarshall says:

SCANDAL.

16. shara says:

Scandal. Edge of your seat television with brilliant writing and amazing actors every single episode. Kerry Washington is exceptional!

17. Margaret says:

Love Downton, Scandal…and what about Dallas??

18. KND says:

SOA, Justified, Dexter, Homeland, Breaking Bad, Southland and Shameless

19. KDB says:

HOMELAND
    SCANDAL
    GREY’S ANATOMY
    DEXTER

20. Lisa says:

GAME OF THRONES
    BREAKING BAD
    SHAMELESS
    THE NEWSROOM (ignore the political aspect, its a witty and intelligently written tv show)
    SCANDAL
    SONS OF ANARCHy

21. Mabel says:

SCANDAL ALL THE WAY.
    It’s sexy, dramatic and intense with a lot of mind blowing twists. Therefore it deserves to win.

22. JC says:

I have one word ——-> SCANDAL

23. Saymone says:

Scandal! That shows will make you discover nerves you never had. And gives you a good reason to drink alcohol.

24. cara kazanowski says:

Scandal x 6

25. Stacy Brewer says:

Scandal, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones, The Newsroom, Breaking Bad, and Parenthood

26. boardwalk empire (bobby canavale!!!!!), shameless (emmy rossum and william h. macy!!), scandal (kerry washington, jeff perry and bellamy young!!!!), justified (timothy olypant and walton goggins), the good wife (josh charles, christine barinski), dexter (jennifer capenter), sons of anarchy (charlie hunnam, maggie siff, ron perlman!!!!) all of these people deserve nominations at the very least! emmy, jeff, walton & bobby definitely deserve emmy wins.

27. Grace says:

SCANDAL!!!!!!
    The Good wife
    Braking Bad
    downtown Abbey
    The following
    suits

28. joho says:

Scandal is the only show I watch of the 6 listed. I want Scandal to get best drama series, best actress for KW, Best Supporting Actor for Jeff Perry, Best Guest arc for Scott Foley and Joe Morton, Best Supporting Actress for Bellamy Young, Best Director for Tony Goldwyn

29. Linda says:

SCANDAL!!! ALL THE WAY>>

30. Traci says:

SCANDAL!!!!!

31. mwunder5 says:

Scandal, it is in my opinion the best drama on network television with superb acting. I also think that Jeff Perry should be nominated for best supporting actor in a drama series, and Kerry Washington for best lead actress in a drama series

32. L.T. says:

Scandal is number 1. Walking dead number 2.

33. Rashanda says:

Scandal Scandal Scandal Scandal

34. Tiara says:

1.SCANDAL 2. SCANDAL 3.SCANDAL 4.SCANDAL 5 .SCANDAL 6.SCANDAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! S C A N D A L❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗

35. Tracey says:

Scandal Hands Down!!!!! The best show on television, and I really want to see Kerry and Tony get Emmy nods for Best Actress and Best Actor respectively, I also think that the show should win for best Dramatic Series.

36. Stana Katic was phenomenal this season in Castle!!!

37. peter says:

SCANDAL! EVEN GUYS LIKE ME LOVE A STEAMY AFFAIR BETWEEN A FIXER AND THE PRESIDENT!

38. Susan torres says:

Scandal has to be nominated! It’s the best show for years probably forever! Olitz has everybody watching! Love love love it!!

39. Maggie says:

My favorite show is Parenthood so that would be my first nominee. Second – Homeland, third – The American, forth -Dexter, fifth – Shameless and sixth – The Good Wife.

40. My selections are as follow:
    Scandal
    Nashville
    Suits
    Elementary
    Good Wife
    Grey Anatomy (if it was listed)

I love the writers of Scandal. There has never been a TV Series that has sparked my interest in writing the way Shonda Rhimes and her team has. As a matter of fact I have written up to four episode theories for Season 3 I feel could be excellent if I had a chance for Shonda to review them. I will not post any of them on Facebook or anywhere for anyone to view. I would like to get her opinion. I wish I had a way to contact her or someone on her staff who could review it. I have enough material for the entire season and half of Season 4.. But I guess I will enjoy it myself and see how they present the season and I will get to see if my theories are anywhere close to theirs. I’m excited just to see how things unfold for Season 3. The writers of Scandal are beyond superb. I love anything with the Romance/Suspense tone…. thanks for listening and viewing.. Go Scandal Team!!! I love you!!!

41. MrMank says:

I can’t believe there’s no love for Orphan Black here! I mean, yes…the show doesn’t deserve to win. Hell, in a category that usually only includes 6 dramas, it probably doesn’t deserve a nomination. But that’s hardly the point. After an unbelievable, Critics’ Choice Award-winning performance (performances?) by Tatiana Maslany, for the show to not even get a mention from TVLINE??? That’s just baffling.

42. Emilia says:

- Game of thrones

– SONS OF ANARCHY

– Homeland

– BREAKING BAD

– JUSTIFIED

– The Walking Dead

– House of Cards

But Mad Men will be nominated just because it’s Mad Men and this year it wasn’t that great. Plus it’s not really the best hour of tv anymore.
    I Hope they would recpognize Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins and I PRAY that they would finally see how amazing SOA is. But they will give it to Homeland again.

43. This has got to be the best drama series in a long, long time. It is refreshing, an edge of your seat thriller and has just enough of a weekly cliffhanger to have you come back the next week. I believe the viewers have become closet detectives and next season appears to be filled with even more surprises

44. tharaa says:

Game of Thrones
    Breaking Bad
    Dexter
    Hannibal
    Orphan Black
    Homeland

45. Solvey Arcila says:

SCANDAL is top quality acting so much so that you forget that is not real. It also portray the reality of politics.

46. D. says:

Dexter and JENNIFER CARPENTER need to get a nomination.

47. KKGator says:

For my money, the ONLY show that matters is JUSTIFIED. Every member of that cast
    is emminently Emmy worthy, in every category. The writing, direction and everything
    about it is absolutely stellar.
    It has been consistently strong in every aspect from the very beginning.
    The only thing I don’t like about it is that the seasons are TOO SHORT!
    I always, always, always want MORE!
    Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins are two of the best actors to ever
    play a scene, anywhere.

48. Scandal and Downton Abbey.

49. Jacinda Watson says:

SCANDAL SCANDAL SCANDAL SCANDAL SCANDAL & More SCANDAL

50. Steno Star says:

“Scandal not emmy material”, What? You’ve got to be kidding! It IS emmy material and I’m sure at least a million people will agree!