Mad Men Recap: Of Vice and Men

Mad Men Season 6 RecapTwo rats get caught in this week’s Mad Men… and the rodent that meets a writhing, bloody, screaming end on Peggy’s floor gets off far easier than the Brylcremed one who can’t keep his fly zipped. Elsewhere in the episode, Bob shows his true, rainbow-hued colors and Ted does a SC&P partner a solid – for a price. Sweetheart, hold my calls, because we’re going to review what happened in “Favors.”

RELATED  | Mad Men’s Kevin Rahm Talks Ted Vs. Don, the Peggy Kiss and a Satisfying Bob Benson Reveal

IT’S GETTING DRAFTY IN HERE | Don comes home from a day at the office to find Megan very much alive and chatting with Mitchell Rosen, Arnold and Sylvia’s college-age son. After he leaves, Megan reveals that the shaggy-haired kid sent his draft card back in protest and is no longer in school, so the government has seen fit to bump him to 1A status: Basically, he could be sent to war at any time. Mitchell was picking Megan’s brain about fleeing to Canada, but Don warns her to stay out of it: “He can’t spend the rest of his life on the run.” And if anyone should know…

Soon after, Don and a very mournful Arnold hit the bar, where the good doctor laments the situation, expresses frustration at his son’s political leanings and lets on that Sylvia has been “lying about little things” a lot lately. (Big things, too, Arnie.) And as Don starts poking around for help pulling strings on the Rosen kid’s behalf, I think it’s time for a round of “What’s My Motivation?” Does Draper want to help because A) He wants to make amends for banging Sylvia into next week? B) As a father, he understands the heartache of knowing your child may soon be in peril? C) Arnold is pretty much the only male friend he has? D) He doesn’t believe in the United States’ involvement in Vietnam? E) He’s run the whole Don Draper thing into the ground and is planning to make Mitchell exchange identities with him in return for getting him a hall pass from the war?  F) He’s actually making a go of trying to be a good man? (Here’s a hint: One of those choices (F) is definitely (F!) not true.)

JUICY | At the office, Pete can’t help Don in his endeavor but cheekily suggests that he asks some Chevy reps at the client dinner scheduled for that evening. After all, the company is a huge defense contractor. Don walks into the hallway and runs right into an irate Ted, who’s angry that no one’s reading his memos – as a result,the firm is about to have competing juicemakers Sunkist and Ocean Spray on its client roster, which equals conflict and chaos. The communication breakdown is so great it sends Chaough running to his office and flinging himself on the couch, arm drawn over his eyes. Thank goodness you’re not getting dramatic about it, Ted. When Jim follows him, the two of them do a body-switch from the conversation they had last week, with Ted crying, “I don’t want his juice. I want my juice” and Jim arguing for cooperation.

At the Chevy dinner that night, Don brings the convivial conversation to a halt when he mentions Mitchell’s plight to the clients… who’ve got no patience for the woes of a subversive would-be draft-dodger. Interesting that it’s Ted who smoothes things over, and Ted who shows up at Draper’s desk the next day demanding that his co-creative chief “lower your weapons.” In exchange for a friendly, cooperative attitude about their work, Ted says, he’ll call a contact at the Air National Guard and help Mitchell avoid an all-expenses trip to Southeast Asia. I love how shocked Don looks at this: “Someone’s going to do something nice for me, and all I have to do in return is not hate him? Does not compute.”

Though Mitchell’s salvation is far from a done deal, Don calls the Rosens and gets Sylvia on the line. She weeps with relief when he shares the news, and even though I yell, “Hang up. Hang up!” at the screen after she thanks him, neither of them listen to me. So we get into a very dangerous area where she tells him she was “just frustrated” with him when she broke off their affair and he does that little lip twitch he does when he’s trying not to cry; it’s brought on by the realization that she didn’t reciprocate his feelings for her. “You were good to me, better than I was to you,” she says quietly, leaving me wondering if the Season 6 DVD extras are going to include the deleted scenes where Sylvia makes Don crawl on his hands and knees to fetch her hairbrush and then forbids him to wear clothes/leave the room for hours on end. Oh, those scenes never happened? Oh, OK.

SALLY SEES ALL | Let’s interrupt this slow-motion trainwreck for a moment to acknowledge that Sally and her friend Julia are in town for Model UN. Per Betty, they’re staying at Don and Megan’s because the chaperoned trip was mostly boys, and “Like everything else in this country, diplomacy club is just another reason to make out.” (Heh.) The girls meet Mitchell and like what they see, so Julia slips a note under the Rosens’ servants’ entrance and makes it seem like the missive is from Sally. The teen confesses her actions while the girls are on the way over to the mock UN session, so Sally sneaks away and returns home to retrieve the note before her crush can read it. (Note to Jonesy the doorman: In a building that’s recently suffered a rash of robberies, maybe it’s not the best idea to pass around the master key ring like it’s the offering plate on Easter Sunday. P.S. Congrats on not dying!)

Sally lets herself into the Rosens’ kitchen, where she gets an eyeful of her dad and Sylvia going at it half-clothed in the maid’s room. (Side note: Something about Don’s flopping shirttail in that scene seemed so pathetic and sad to me. Anyone else?) Sally’s horrified on a number of levels; Don and Sylvia react as though it is the end of the world. (And it just may be, for both of them.) Don has a hard-to-read moment in the elevator as he pursues his daughter – he seems to be circling a breakdown, or about to have a stroke or heart attack or something really bad, though nothing happens. No, let me amend that: What happens is what always happens. He goes to a bar and comes home 12 sheets to the wind. Don barely makes it through Arnold and Mitchell’s thank-you visit (we’re all quite assured this string-pulling is going to come through, aren’t we?), but Sally won’t look at him. She finally bolts from the table and won’t let him into her room, so he’s forced to tell a locked door that he was “comforting Mrs. Rosen.” Dude, Don, give your kid some credit. They’re both very upset, but she won’t yield, and he eventually gives up and stumbles down the hall to his own bedroom. (Side note: Though I’m interested to see what Megan’s reaction might be to the infidelity, you just know Betty’s outrage is going to be far more fun to watch. Cue big, blonde meltdown in 3… 2…)

WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN | Pete’s awesomely addled mother shows up at SC&P with Manolo, her Bob Benson-approved nurse. While Pete and Manolo settle accounts, Peggy engages Mrs. Campbell with some small talk. It’s pretty clear from the get-go that Pete’s confused mom thinks Peggy is Trudy, but Pegs’ face when the older woman mentions the child Peggy/Trudy and Pete share is still fantastic. Dorothy also says a few things (the phrase “physical satisfaction of love” is bandied about) that lead Peggy to believe that Manolo is one very talented hired hand.

She says as much to Pete over dinner with Ted after a client call to Ocean Spray.  Pete’s buzzed and horrified. In related news, Peggy’s buzzed and bummed that Ted has stepped away to call his wife. “He’s in love with you, too,” Pete tells her, which is cute, but given how oblivious he is to something else that’s been brewing two cups of coffee under his nose all season, I don’t know that I’m going to crown Pete a relationship whisperer just yet. As Campbell laments his dwindling list of accounts, we also get this telling exchange:

PETE: At least one of us ended up important. Please tell me you don’t pity me.
PEGGY: I don’t.
PETE: You really know me.
PEGGY: I do.

Is Mad Men actually thinking about maybe revisiting Peggy and Pete? I don’t know how I feel about that, Internets – especially because I hold out hope for Stan and Peggy, despite his late-night refusal to dispose of her dying rodent — but I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments.

IN WHICH I AM VINDICATED | Pete later confronts his mother about her involvement with her well-bred nurse. “Manny has awakened a part of me that was long dormant,” she confirms, and when Pete is grossed out, she leaves. (Side note: Dorothy’s “elegant handwriting” comment made me laugh out loud.) The next day, Campbell asks Bob whether his mother’s stories could be true. Bob all but says that Manolo’s not into ladies. “Couldn’t it be that, if someone took care of you, very good care of you, if this person would do anything for you, if your well-being was his only thought, is it impossible that you might begin to feel something for him?” Guys, wait a minute: I don’t think we’re talking about Manolo anymore. “When there’s true love, it doesn’t matter who it is,” Bob continues, and any ambiguity about his meaning is obliterated when he purposefully lets his knee rest against Pete’s.

As I lace up my sneakers for a victory lap, Pete seems to seriously consider what’s been said for just a moment… then he instructs Bob to tell Manolo he’ll get a month’s severance. “And tell him it’s disgusting.” As the hope in Bob’s eyes dies, his corporate lackey mask falls back into place and he exits the office promising to get right on the task. You just know he wound up at Joan’s desk, where she discreetly closed her door, rubbed his back soothingly and was all, “Honey, he doesn’t know what he’s missing. Now go wash your face, get back to work and we’ll process over a couple of bottles of merlot at my place tonight, OK?” Now that‘s a DVD extra I’d pay to see.

1. Jackie says:

Wow…wow….wow.

2. rowan77 says:

Mea Culpa, you were right about Bob being gay. Now if he was in love with Kenny, Don, Roger or Stan, I’d buy it, but Pete is such a whiner and pouts around the office like a big baby. What the hell does Bob see in him? Pete’s a weenie. And all of Bob’s lies still aren’t quite explained. I hope there is more of Bob to reveal.

Love Peggy’s reaction to Mrs. Campbell in the beginning and the restaurant scene with Pete and Ted. Ted’s jealous over the the little connection Peggy and Pete have. Theres no way Peg would ever go back to Pete. No chance. #TeamStan!

I think Don helped Stan because of guilt and because he genuinely wanted to help his only friend. Don falling back into Sylvia’s maid’s bedroom after finding out she never had feelings for him shows how low his self-esteem has gotten.

Sally is just chock full of childhood trauma, isn’t she? Time for another visit to a kiddie shrink as she begins her lifetime of therapy.

Megan is alive. At least I feel vindicated about that one.

• cfm says:

I agree with everything you wrote.
      For the life of me, I can’t figure out why Bob would be into Pete at all. His interest in Pete all season -buying him toilet paper, trying to pay for his prostitute, getting a nurse for his mom – it’s all been so odd.
      I think Don helping Mitchell had everything to do with Albert, too. Why did he have to go back to the maid’s room?!? Ugh, poor Sally.
      I liked everything relating to Peggy tonight. Her convo with Dot, her convo with Pete, the late night call to Stan, the last shot with her new cat… haha.

• cfm says:

OOPS, I meant Arnold. (Think you did, too)

• Bumm says:

” I can’t figure out why Bob would be into Pete at all.”
        Butch & balding with a beanpole body. That’s got to be someone’s type. But most likely it would be because, Pete is as hetero as they get, warts and all. Which could be a turn on.

• Bumblebeej says:

As was alluded to in this episode, Pete knows all about Don’s secret. He knows more than probably anyone except Don and Anna Draper. So… Maybe that’s how Bob will get Don? (I’m into the Bob as a fed theory).

• Linda says:

Still not positive that he’s gay (I mean, in love with Pete???, come on). Maybe he’s his illegitimate half-brother and he’s just trying to connect with his family.

• rowan77 says:

Hitting on your “brother” is an odd way to reconnect. You saw how his face fell when he turned away from Pete. There is no reason, no connection that would make this feel real. With Pete? Pete?? There better me more than this to Bob because so far the reveal feels pretty ham-fisted.

3. Paul8148 says:

I still think there is a second twist coming with Bob

4. kate says:

so bob is a gay serial killer? fascinating.

5. Chloe says:

Great episode! Poor Sally – first she walked in on Roger with Megan’s mother and now her father. Add to that the fact that Betty is her mother & I think we can assume that this kid is going to spend years in therapy.

I actually enjoyed Pete & Peggy together, which surprised me. I’m disappointed that Ted is married & has kids. If that was mentioned before, I don’t remember & when he mentioned a few weeks ago that he already had someone, I assumed it was a girlfriend.

I like Sylvia less and less every time I see her. Their scenes are boring & I had hoped that their affair was over. I, too, was telling them to hang up. Alas, it didn’t happen. I would hope that after Sally caught them, that this will be the end of it but I won’t get my hopes up.

Did I blink and miss Joan?

• Britta Unfiltered says:

We have seen Ted’s wife, Nan, before in a previous season, I think, and she showed up earlier this season at the awards dinner when King was killed. I don’t remember hearing anything about Ted’s kids before though. I was unaware Ted had been married that long. I assumed they had only been married a few years, so that was a surprise to see they had older boys. And you didn’t miss Joan. Looked like she had the episode off.
      I do think too Sally is going to be majorly messed up from these weird sex experiences she’s been having. I can’t see her ever having a normal sexual relationship after all this. Seeing your dad have sex has to be enough to turn you off of the act for a looong time. Like, how do you get that image out of your head once it’s in there?

• cat says:

Sally saw her parents have sex in Three Sundays and it didn’t scar her. What’s going to scar her this time is seeing her father cheat.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

You are correct – Nan Chaough {Timi Prulhiere} has now appeared in three episodes – S4.05 ‘The Chrysanthemum and the Sword’ in the Benihana scene, earlier this season in S6.05 ‘The Flood’, at the Awards night scene, and now S6.11 ‘ Favors’, at the Chaough home in two scenes.

6. tw111 says:

What is it with Weiner & the Sally-as-(although unwillingly)-voyeur? Just eww. It’s child abuse , and I don’t want to have to watch.
    Again we’re duped by a completely misleading promo…’Betty plans for Sally’s future’??
    What’s that about?
    Still , love Mad Men.

7. cat says:

I want Stan and Peggy to get together so bad!

I hate Don. I hope Sally tells Betty what she saw.

• tripoli says:

Why would Betty care? She slept with Don last week. Can’t see her giving a damn that Don is messing around with someone else behind Megan’s back.

• anna says:

why would Betty care about her daughter discovering her father’s a cheat when Betty has kept that information from Sally for years because she wanted to protect her from that side of her father? I wonder why.

• Jennifer says:

Why would Insecure Betty care about her daughter walks in on her father having an affair? It’s one thing if Betty caught him but far worse of Sally does because Betty can’t pretend it didn’t happen – in her own mind or with Sally.

Betty’s fragile self esteem was recently boosted by sleeping w her ex-husband, Sir Don, the man she has fawned over and propped up in her own mind her whole adult life and even after they split. Thus the devastation learning Don was not Don but just some loser named Dick. One thing to be cheated kn bu the great Don Draper, quite another to realize she wasnt good enough (Betty’s thinking) for some dude named Dick. She coudl handle the cheating by Don but not by Dick.

And so when she slept with Don at bonny’s camp, She got to tell herself that she was still desirable and special. Deep down, Betty knows better but she has always been willing to pretend Don was less horrible than he was.

Recall the scene where Betty and new hubbie are at dinner In the city and Betty sees Don with a (younger attractove) date for the first time. Betty flips and has to excuse herself at dinner – a couples business dinner – Emilyvpost would not have approved and Betty knows this. But even after returning to the table she couldn’t help staring over at Don and his date snd was rude theoughout dinner so much so that she was later chastised on the way home by new hubby for being inexplicably rude.

Betty is fragile. She went into a self destructive tail spin and gained extraordinary wait – devastating for the princess model token trophy wife of 1960s Connectectict.

Betty knows Don sleeps around but she has always preferred to live in denial land. At least on the surface she lives there and like so many people on this show, internally she is conflicted but has been scafed to even open that door for feat of what is on the other side. Inside of Betty. Betty decided to live in that comfortable land of denial and outward appearances when it comes to her feelings about herself and her family. It is all perfect.

For Betty, learning that Sally saw her father cavorting with yet another woman will be devastating. She can’t hide that or pretend it didn’t happen. Sally knows and Sally won’t love in Betty’s beloved denial land. An ongoing conflict for them. I am familiar with this and couldn’t handle my mother’s fictitious pink and purple polka dotted sky of a world. Which really incensed my mother. It is a major problem when you base your life and well being on illusions and someone (Dick, Sally) point out they might not be real.

Betty will be pissed. And if Betty handles it like my own mother did, Sally will be dismissed from Betty’s life. Boarding school, a semester abroad, a fight such that it ends with Sally running off to join her talented Juilliard friend on the streets, something.

So long as she isn’t around to potentially throw stones at Betty’s fragile glass house – because it could put Betty in that horrible position of being forced to deal with reality.

Not gonna happen.

• Lisa says:

I hope she tells Megan more!

8. Ally says:

I am really, really hoping that the knee “thing” with Bob and Pete was an accident or small detail that was purposely blown up to throw us all off the track. With two episodes left, I still don’t know what to make of Bob. But I cannot believe that he would have some interest in Pete. In fact I don’t even believe that his character is gay. We’ve been there, done that with Mad Men. I think if Bob is putting on a front, this is just another facet of that front. And did I mention Pete? No. Way. Not even.

I also find it hard to believe that Silvia had no feelings for Don. She wouldn’t have mentioned the “L” word with him previously, IMHO.

Don Draper, father of the year. Sigh. I hope Sally blabs to everyone, but she won’t.

Yay for Peggy! For one moment I actually liked Pete, when he and Peggy were chatting at dinner. I wish Stan cared more about going to visit when she called him about her rodent problem, but their kiss happened during the drug-fueled adventures of SCDP…er…SHXGAHDOFHEBAHJBD, correct? Maybe he really isn’t into her. Ted might be cool to date, if he ever were to split with his wife, but he’s too dramatic and too uptight for Peggy.

Not the best episode, but certainly a decent one. Can’t wait to see how this all ends over the final two episodes.

• Ally says:

Sorry, I forgot that they are now SC&P. My bad. :P

• Jessica says:

“Been there, done that?” In the span of eight years and a rotating cast of characters during the sexual revolution, one gay guy we haven’t seen in three seasons seems good enough to you? Right before Stonewall?

• Sarah says:

Just spitballing here, but could Bob be spying on Pete for some reason? That’s why he’s been following him all season? Maybe Manolo was an inside man and Bob did the knee thing to try to distract Pete from firing Manolo and not a come on (because Bob’s a looker and could probably get Hamm level peen). I just don’t know why Pete would be a target for a spy.

9. Britta Unfiltered says:

I think Don helped that kid because he knows how much it sucks to be on the run and doesn’t want that kid to live a lie his whole life the way he has. Plus I do think Don thinks war is brutal and wouldn’t wish it on anyone. He couldn’t have Mitchell accidentally blowing up his commanding officer and switching identities now, could he? I also think he helped Mitchell because he’s still in love with Sylvia and wants her to be happy.
    It was easy to see what would happen with Sally and Don the second she asked the doorman for those keys. It was a horror show waiting for it to happen. I think that is the first time we have had actual implied nudity of Don Draper on the show from him pulling up his undies under his shirt. Let the beast free!! Wait, I didn’t say that. Anyway, I thought it just made it so much more horrifying of a scene for Sally that we got that bonus. Thank god I’ve never been in her place and seen my father naked. [Shudder]. I can’t believe he immediately went after her. Oh man, how awkward. I’m glad he didn’t catch up to her. That kind of situation needs space. I also can’t believe he tried to get away with the good ole’ “I was just comforting her!” line. Things are certainly going to change with Sally’s hero worship of her dad. On a related note, Sylvia is becoming quite the drama queen.
    I do suspect a Peggy/Pete hook-up is coming, and maybe that gets Ted fired up with jealousy? And also possibly Stan? It would be weird to see Ted and Pete and/or Stan fight over Peggy.
    Good job, Kimberly, on figuring out Bob Benson. Point to you. And wasn’t that whole scene just so deliciously awkward? This is the awkward themed episode. What I wonder though, is why Pete, Bob? WHY PETE?? And did Pete really take a beat to be intrigued over the offer? And how much does Joan know about Bob at this point? Does she hold hope for having a relationship with him? Is he making her believe that’s a possibility or is she aware this is totally a just friends kind of thing?

• cfm says:

I think Joan sees Bob only as a friend because last week she assumed her meeting with the Avon guy was a date. But before that I thought something was possibly going on romantically with them when they were packing for the beach. That’s the episode Kimberly figured out he was gay, how?!
      And seriously, why Pete?!

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Britta – if you want to see another Don scene in the all-together, check out S5.04 ‘Mystery Date’ – the dream-sequence between Don and Andrea Rhodes {Madchen Amick}.

10. Patrick Brooks says:

Reasonably prudent people close the door to the room they are having sex in…that’s what the wife tells me anyway.

• TV Gord says:

Hahaha!

• ...but why listen to me? says:

Yes, but that’s why people lock outside doors – so no one can get in via that side door service entrance w/o a key – and few have the key. Walking into other people’s homes uninvited, using an ill-gotten key…there are consequences for that as well. Like mother, like daughter – you reap what you sow.

11. Marlyt51 says:

If Bob is gay it would make sense why he likes Peter because Peter is the biggest di@k in the company…

12. Lyn says:

Kimberly, love your lede!

13. pattywhack says:

Maybe Bob is so into Pete because he knows that Pete holds all the information to Don’s secret past?

• Bumblebeej says:

Yes! This seems so obvious to me (and I replied to a comment above saying such, so sorry for doubling). I completely forgot that they had to give up the defence account in ?? S2?? and while I remembered that Pete knew, I forgot he pulled strings and was very involved. Until tonight’s episode, that is, where we were not so subtley reminded of that fact, and then OH the cute potential FBI agent is hitting on the horrid man who knows all the secrets and hates himself. No brainer to me.

14. sophia says:

I always thought it would be really hard to be Don Draper’s wife. But it’s even worse being Don Draper’s daughter after all.. I would never want him for a father. Poor Sally!

15. TD says:

“In exchange for a friendly, cooperative attitude about their work, Ted says, he’ll call a contact at the Air National Guard and help Mitchell avoid an all-expenses trip to Southeast Asia. I love how shocked Don looks at this: ‘Someone’s going to do something nice for me, and all I have to do in return is not hate him? Does not compute.’” I think there was more of a string attached than just being a good guy. Didn’t Ted say that Don had to let Sunkist go so he could keep Ocean Spray? (Ted did say their handshake was a “binding contract.”) And I read Don’s befuddlement, at least early in the conversation, as “what is this guy talking about?” I think Don seemed genuinely surprised that Ted was angry over his perceived competition between them.

16. Rachel says:

Sally also caught Roger Sterling and Megan’s mom getting friendly last season.

17. Here There says:

Maybe Peter is gay and doesn’t know himself. I think it makes sense for his character if you ask me. Sally has a crush on Mrs Rosen’s son. I wonder if now she will try to flirt with him and get herself in a pickle because she might be confused and think that’s what people do. When I saw her and her friend walk into the lobby all “grown up” and him walk by, I felt trouble brewing for Sally with a teenaged crush on an older “boy”.

18. Mary says:

Don’s body language as he walked through the lobby and out onto the street was just perfect. He was a completely different person. Don is broken (at least temporarily)!

19. J. says:

I know everyone thinks a Manson murder style murder will happen this season. I would tend to agree, but I think it will be tied into a serial killer instead. Since the show’s creator has said no Manson this season. I do think there are two possibilities for this time frame.

Could be. Richard Cottingham or “The Torso” killer was killing women in New York during this time.

The Zodiac Killer was also out in California and Nevada for sure during the late 60s and as a cliffhanger, they could have Don and Megan hit California to rekindle their dying romance.

20. znachki says:

Mark Lyndsay shout out! My 12-year old self totally shrieked at that.

The thing about the Bob reveal that bugged me is that he did it at all. He’s been so good at playing the game, that I find it hard to credit that he’d make that kind of move without being much more certain that his advance would be reciprocated.

• Roni says:

That was my reaction too. I don’t buy him making a move on Pete, because I assume he hasn’t gotten any indication from Pete that he would feel the same way. Bob had to know that he could be fired in three seconds for making a move on him. (BTW, you can still be fired from your job just for being gay in 29 states today ::steps off soapbox::)

Plus, Bob being gay doesn’t explain all of his weirdness this season, so I’m expecting we’ll find out more about him in the last couple episodes.

21. tiadebella says:

I can totally buy into Pete as a deeply repressed closet case. Maybe Bob’s not the serial killer after all? Instead, he will be Pete’s first victim. (Pete accepts Bob’s offer at last, seethes with amplified self-loathing, kills Bob, and begins littering the streets of New York with the bodies of street hustlers.)

• NJ idoloonie says:

i agree with this idea – Bob’s gaydar had him hone in on Pete. Pete is a ticking time bomb, and he just may lose it on Bob.
      PLUS, If Betty loses it when Sally spills the beans, what will she be upset about? Don cheating on her??? or cheating on Megan? or just messing up Sally?

• KC says:

I think Bob is looking for someone to care for/about…thinking that if he gives of himself maybe he will have someone care for him in return. Bob has tried to take care of everyone…whether its a simple cup of coffee, taking Joan to the doctor, or providing a nurse to Pete. Pete is the neediest of everyone at the office given his current situation of feeling like a loser both personally and professionally. I think Bob honed in on Pete because Pete appreciated Bob…Pete let Bob take care of him. I think Bob’s reaction to Pete letting him in is misunderstood by Bob for him loving Pete.

• Jennifer says:

Betty will be livid that she can’t continue in her delusion of a world. If Sally knows Don is a schmuck then in Betty’s thinking, Betty isn’t as fantastic bc Don isn’t a suave god, he is just a Dick.

Betty gets her self esteem from others perception of her. Don’t try and mess with that.

If Betty learned of Don’s recent activities, betty would be angry but quickly suppress it. And she certainly would not dare mention it.

But, if Sally knows that Don is a dick She can’t deny it . Reality comes crashing in.

Betty divorced the guy after learning about Dick. But she has chosen to continue to pretend he is Don. This isn’t out of kindness it is to protect Betty and her world.

The really sad part is that Betty kind of believes her denial land world. She is pretty invested in it. She just slept with Don herself and her fragile newly slimmed down self got off on Don wanting her. Not Dick sticking her thing in anything that moves.

Betty will be livid. And if Betty is anything like my mom, when you do anything to threaten that fictitious world she loves in – that she protects so fervently – she will be livid with the messenger, Sally.

It isn’t rationale but neither is denial land. Sally can’t stay as that would Betty’s world would come crashing down. Sally would insist upon reality and that isn’t goings to happen. On my experience, Sally is excommunicated from the family by Betty. Whether it is boarding school, a semester abroad or a horrific argument such that Sally runs off to hang with her Juilliard friend on the streets of the city… Sally can’t tell her mother the truth about what she saw and remain under her mother’s roof.

Betty won’t let that happen.

• kate says:

best.theory.ever.

22. Bobbie says:

Hahaha Don got caught – best scene of the season. Great fun.

23. KC says:

Let me preface my rant by saying this is not about Jon Hamm; he continues to do amazing work. This is about the direction the writers have taken Don and how there really is no place for them to go…at least not any place I care about.

About half way through the season I came to the realization that I no longer liked Don Draper. This was right around the time he made Sylvia crawl around on the floor. I was ok with disliking Don as I thought that was sort of the point – to show us that Don, at this point in his life, was no longer a charming, talented, decent guy that had a problem with keeping it zipped (ala Roger), but instead was a deeply troubled, manipulative, lying, womanizer, who isn’t really good at work anymore either. I thought that going forward we would see Don disgusted with who he has become and do what he could to turn it all back around.

I figured there would be a moment, something so rock bottom that it would make Don change for good. Something like Sally seeing him “comforting” Sylvia. That moment came and went though, and Don is none the better…in fact his handling of it all makes him even worse. There is no coming back for Don after that.

I feel the writers have written Don into a corner. If he won’t change after the Sally incident then there is nothing that will make him do so. Effectively, the writers have made it so that there can be no end to Don’s story that is both satisfying and believable for the audience. Don sees the error of his ways, redeems himself, and lives happily ever after? Not believable. Don continues on this dark and self destructive path causing harm to most everyone around him? Not satisfying. Don could kill himself, he could disappear into a new identity (or take on his true one), he could have a near death experience and change, but those will feel like cheap plot devices by the end of season seven.

Don is who he always will be, his life is what it always will be….there’s no longer any reason to be invested in how his story ends because for me it ended in “Favors” (and truth be told probably long before that).

I’m much more interested in how everyone else’s story ends, but given this show is about Don Draper, I suspect I’ll only get small morsels in-between the Draper Drama I don’t really care much about anymore.

• anna says:

I agree with you completely.

• Pat D. says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but we were never supposed to like Don Draper from the very beginning. He is pretty much the same guy he was in season 1. Nothing really new this week—he just got caught with his pants down. Thats my read on it anyways. Its just that until recently he was the lesser of several evils in the main cast (i.e. Pete Campbell being one of those more unlikeable people).

• KC says:

I guess for me the switch has been whether or not he’s redeemable. I always felt, despite his antics, that there was hope for him. That hope is gone for me after last Sunday’s episode – if Sally catching him like that won’t do it, nothing will…so for me, his story is over. I just don’t think I would believe Don can be any different than what he is. I suppose it doesn’t really make the story bad, it just makes me indifferent to its outcome. There is more intrigue in what happens to others (Joan, Peggy, Pete, etc.) than there is with Don anymore.

24. Sam says:

That was just Dick Whitman being Dick Whitman. Stop being so judgmental.

25. NJ idoloonie says:

Don clearly is an alcoholic, and he was blitzed out of his mind that night. There was no way he could talk coherently to Sally, even if there was no good excuse.

26. Mimi says:

Anyone else a bit thrown off by the end credits? For two seconds I thought there was no music. But when music did start playing it was original, not music from the period…

27. Rhonda says:

Has anyone else noticed the resemblance between Sylvia and the woman who raised Dick Whitman/Don Draper?!

28. mp22 says:

Did anyone else notice that the doorman whose shift was over and who was changing in the lobby when sally came back to the apartment had what appears to be an ipod/iphone in his right hand and clearly has a white ear piece in his left ear? I thought this was 1968? Look for it its at minute 55.