Veronica Mars Movie Adds Piz — Is Mac Among the 'Bunch' More Returns? And What's Been Cut?

Get More: Casting News

Veronica Mars Movie Piz MacPiz is in, too!

Chris Lowell is the latest Veronica Mars vet to officially join the forthcoming fan-funded film adaptation, exec producer Rob Thomas announced on Saturday.

Lowell’s mop-topped alter ego arrived on the scene in the show’s third season and soon developed a crush on (and began a romance with) the show’s titular sleuth.

UPDATE: Appearing at the ATX Television Festival on Saturday, Thomas said that beyond Lowell, Percy Daggs III and other already confirmed encores, “We actually have a bunch of cast deals done, but we’re trying to parse them out… We want to give everyone their own moment.” (As such, keep tabs on TVLine as more additions are trumpeted over the next 10 days.)

Veronica’s gal pal Mac is a character Thomas said it would be odd not to see in the movie, but he stopped short of confirming Tina Majorino’s casting.

Alas, with the ensemble growing and the budget finite, as the film nears production later this month, there’s already been one (minor) casualty. Thomas shared at ATX that opening scenes were already over-budget, so rain during a flight Veronica is on had to be cut. “So, as you see her land and come out of the Balboa County Airport, imagine rain,” he laughed.

Speaking further on the film’s prospects, Thomas said, “It’s not going to be Hunger Games, but I’m excited about the scope. It’s at the top-end of what my expectations would have been.” That said, when it comes to a fight that breaks out at ‘Ron’s high school reunion, he quipped: “Please don’t expect a Matrix-level brawl.”

RELATEDThe Veronica Mars Movie: Don’t You Dare Feel Bad About Chipping In

As previously announced, original cast members Jason DohringEnrico Colantoni and Percy Daggs III have also signed on to the film, which is set at Veronica’s 10-year high school reunion and will begin shooting in about 9 days.

Press PLAY to hear Lowell’s grateful thoughts — including details on the promise teased in the above headline — then hit the comments, Marshmallows!

Comments (127)

• Love that Piz will be back, absolutely adored him, just not with Veronica.

Comment by Mary (@ScribbledPink) – June 9, 2013 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The first time I watched season 3 I hated Piz. I thought he was dull and way too desperately into Veronica. But every time I watch the season again, Piz grows on me. I genuinely like his character now,just not with Veronica. Their relationship was boring; Veronica wasn’t that into him and there was no chemistry. So although I would’ve been more excited to hear about Weevil, Mac or Dick or even Duncan, I’m glad Piz is in the movie because I can’t wait to see how he fits in to the story.

Comment by Elizabeth – June 9, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Piz is the DJ at the reunion. :P

Comment by Galla – June 9, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can take or leave Piz, but hoping to see Mac and Weevil sign on still.

Comment by Tee – June 9, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh yay…..Piz…..*crickets* ……….I never liked Piz

Comment by gabby – June 9, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All of those saying that Piz is a “nice, normal guy” don’t seem to remember all his selfishness over Veronica going to an FBI internship for a couple of months in the summer. He was selfish and pathetic. Whether or not Veronica should be with Logan or some nice guy, she deserved better and nicer than Piz.

Comment by Selfish – June 9, 2013 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t stand Piz the first time around, but watching Season 3 again, he wasn’t THAT bad but he definitely didn’t belong with Veronica. They had zero chemistry and he was boring. I liked Duncan better and that’s saying alot. If he’s around because he and Wallace have remained friends, I’m cool with that. I’d really like it if Keith would’ve gotten back together with Wallace’s mom.

Comment by Mikael – June 10, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I despise Piz! Too bad he’s in the movie, but I want to see it despite his presence.

Comment by Alex – June 10, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not excited about this. I wasn’t his biggest fan in the show, in fact I disliked him. Why is he back – he didn’t go to Neptune. Oh well, I guess I just have to put my faith in them and that they know what they are doing.

Comment by Amanda – June 10, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Weevil is officially signed on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Krystan – June 10, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hes funny. Well i like piz but V and Logan belong together :) I wouldnt mind the frontal nudity he suggested tho! lol

Comment by shadester – June 14, 2013 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad to hear more familiar characters will be in the movie!! I have always liked Piz and I’m so excited that he’s coming back. I guess I’m part of a minority, but I was never a fan of Logan and Veronica’s relationship and I loved Piz and Veronica together–the series didn’t go on long enough to give them a true “story” together and I always wondered where they could have went with it.

Comment by Rosemary – June 22, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post