The Voice's Josiah Hawley on His Rocky Amy Winehouse Cover and Misheard Coldplay Lyrics

Josiah Hawley The VoiceJosiah Hawley knows some viewers dismissed him the minute they heard the term “male model” during his Blind Audition on Season 4 of The Voice, but he doesn’t let it bother him.

“The show only has a minute to tell your story,” Hawley reasons. “I grew up doing concrete construction. That’s what I’ve done my whole life, but I’ve done some modeling, too, more recently.”

More important than how he’s paid the bills in the past, though, is how Hawley’s been striving to make a living as a musician — in Nashville for more than seven years, and the last year and a half with his band in Los Angeles. “We were gigging around, starting with open mics, and then on to different clubs like the Roxy and the Viper Room Lounge.”

TVLine caught up with Hawley to dish his attempt to put a unique spin on an Amy Winehouse tune, his coach’s sometimes tough love and the misunderstanding that accompanied his performance of Coldplay’s “Clocks.”

TVLINE | During your Battle Rounds rehearsal, your opponent Jeff Lewis messed up a little and chuckled, and Usher responded very sternly: “What’s so funny?” Was it stressful being in your first face-to-face meeting with your coach and having him be so tough and intense?
It really wasn’t that stressful. It was more of a “Boom! Wake up!” thing. We both had some screw-ups, so it was a nervous laughter, “Oh, man, that was not good.” Usher was showing us, “This is business, guys. When you come in here and you’re in front of me, I expect you to already be familiar enough with the song to sing it decently.” It taught me from that point out to make sure I was always as prepared as possible. That way I could walk in showing him that I was taking myself seriously, that this is what I love and want to do full time.

RELATED | The Voice‘s Judith Hill on Reworking Bieber & Xtina and Coping With Front-Runner Pressure

TVLINE | For the Knockout Rounds, you switched up Amy Winehouse’s “Back to Black” into more of a rock number. How did you cook that up?
I didn’t want to sing it just like her and have people be like, “Oh, man, you’re trying to be like Amy.” I was like, “Look, I’m just going to flip it enough to make it me.” And that’s really the most important part every time you’re performing a song: It has to be true to who I am as an artist. Otherwise, I’m just doing karaoke. That’s not how I choose to do my music. That’s not how I perform. And that’s why I played guitar, made [the arrangement] just a little heavier, a little more rock-driven. I love jazz. I’m influenced by jazz, but it needed to be me as well.

TVLINE | And “Starlight” continued that harder-edged sound.
Absolutely. I love Muse. I’m very influenced by them, by Queen. And a Muse song had never been cleared before [on The Voice], so it was a big honor to be able to do that. And that’s definitely more toward the direction of where I want to go as an artist: Bigger rock songs with cool, moving, sometimes even haunting melodies.

RELATED | The Voice Top 6 Results Recap: Did the Right Contestant Go Home This Week?

TVLINE | Tell me about going from Muse to The Script’s “The Man Who Can’t Be Moved” the following week.
Usher wanted me to be vulnerable on stage, so people could really see who I am. The prior performance, on “Starlight,” I was way back with the band. Usher was like, “I want you right up in front with the people, so they can see into your eyes and you can really connect with them. We’re going to dress it down. We’re going to have you just in a t-shirt.” My only concern was the song was kind of wordy. Most of the songs that I write aren’t that wordy, so that was the tough part. I was like, “I want to make sure I’m pronouncing all of the words and I want to make sure I’m not throwing away any of the lines.”

TVLINE | Was it weird being out on that “peninsula,” surrounded by the audience as they’re clapping, and not always with the best sense of rhythm?
Well, that’s why they give you in-ears. That way you don’t have to worry if they’re on rhythm or not. You can still hear the band. I can hear my guitar. I can hear my voice in my ears. It’s definitely nerve-wracking because you’re so close to the audience. They’re going to be able to see every little detail of your face, of your body language, and because the music was stripped down, if there were any mistakes, it would be very obvious to everybody. That left me feeling vulnerable, but that’s what needed to be done and I think it went over really well.

TVLINE | Do you have any regrets surrounding your last performance on the show, Coldplay’s “Clocks”?
No, I don’t. “Clocks” was a great song choice. I love that song. I really connected to the lyric, but it might have been misconstrued a little bit. It was said that there were a lot of “oohs and ahhs,” but actually it’s just written by an Englishman, and the “ooh” is a “you,” and the “ahh” is “are.” So the lyric is “you are.” If you’re not familiar with the lyrics, you might’ve thought I was just doing oohs and ahhs. The next night, Usher came up to me and goes, “Dude, I thought you sounded great last night. I even watched it back just to be sure, and I thought you even sounded better on playback.” I was like, “All right, cool. Thanks.” If Usher’s happy with it, I’m happy with it.

TVLINE | Now that you’re off the show, where should people look for your music?
I have a three-song acoustic demo from before I was on the show, and it’s on iTunes and Spotify. It’s “Josiah Hawley Live Unplugged Demo,” so I’d love for people to check that out for now. And I’ll have more soon!

Were you a Josiah Hawley fan during Season 4? Looking forward to his post-show career? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (30)

• This has to be THE most boring interview I have ever read. No offense to Slezak, I blame Josiah. His responses seemed insincere and he further proved the point that he is no more than a pretty face.

Comment by efe – June 7, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree. He surprised me by coming off as much smarter than I pictured him to be.

Comment by Lydia's Bones – June 7, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I always thought he was smart. I was impressed by his clever blind audition. I thought he was underrated. Many, many people can only judge a book by its cover and have a habit of making very superficial judgments. It would be nice if we could get beyond the stereotypes and knee-jerk reactions.

Comment by MC – June 8, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with Lydia’s Bones, I am impressed.

Comment by Lilly – June 16, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t see how it was boring. Lol. You’re just hating :P

Comment by Jenny – June 7, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But damn isn’t he a pretty face.

Comment by Midori – June 7, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally. I’d love to be his ‘buddy’ (if you know what I mean ~)

Comment by Adam Fachry – June 7, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Insincere? Really?
      (raises spockian eyebrow)

Comment by Fyrkat – June 7, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t know I guess I wanted him to trash Usher because he gave Josiah songs so out of his comfort zone. I mean Starlight, really?

Comment by efe – June 8, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • In Usher’s defense, Josiah did say in this interview that he wants to incorporate a MUSE-esque aesthetic in his music, though, so maybe Usher did listen to him after all. But I do agree that the song is completely out of his league, he doesn’t have that big of a range and the song requires just that. Whenever Josiah tried to reach high notes (like in Starlight or Clocks), the strain was apparent.

Comment by Adam Fachry – June 8, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting. I wish the demo was free because I’m not going to pay to listen to Josiah at this point.

Comment by aravis – June 8, 2013 05:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d pay for a Josiah sex tape though.

Comment by JON – June 8, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josiah’s 3 song demo IS free on Spotify…

Comment by Shannon Smith McNeely – June 8, 2013 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know what is worse, not being able to remember the lyrics on live TV, or not bothering to check the lyrics to be performed on live TV.

Comment by vighorois – June 8, 2013 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You obviously did not read this entire article or you would know that Josiah Hawley addressed that issue. And you obviously aren’t that familiar with Coldplay and their song Clocks if you think Hawley simple didn’t know the words.

Comment by Beth – June 10, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the right webpage for anybody who hopes to find
    out about this topic. You know so much its almost tough to argue with you
    (not that I personally would want to…HaHa).
    You definitely put a brand new spin on a subject which has been discussed for years.
    Great stuff, just excellent!

Comment by khách sạn 4 sao đà lạt giảm giá – March 11, 2014 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I
    am waiting for your further post thanks once again.

Comment by chung cư kim văn kim lũ tinnhadat – March 22, 2014 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My brother recommended Imight like this web site. He was once totally right.
    This submit actually made my day. You can not consider just how much time I had spent for his info!
    Thanks!

Comment by Best Online Sports Betting – March 29, 2014 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omega replica outlet
    Greetings from Ohio! I’m bored to death at
    work so I decided to check out your site on my iphone during lunch break.
    I love the info you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone ..
    I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, fantastic site!

Comment by omega replica outlet – March 29, 2014 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But people may choose to look for options, especially
    if they feel conned. And so it goes as fans wait for
    the finals on “America’s Got Talent” in live shows being presented next week on NBC.

People want to use the product, and when they see the results, most of
    them will want to know more.

Comment by AGT International – March 29, 2014 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A person essentially assist to make seriously posts I’d state.
    This is the first time I frequented your web page and
    thus far? I amazed with the research you made to make this particular put up incredible.

Excellent activity!

Comment by nutrimetics – March 31, 2014 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to give it a look.
    I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m bookmarking and will bbe tweeting this to my followers!
    Fantastic blog and terrific sthle andd design.

Comment by tacfit warrior – April 3, 2014 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for finally writing about >The Voices Josiah
    Hawley: Season 4 Interview – Back to Black,
    Starlight – TVLine <Loved it!

Comment by weight loss – April 3, 2014 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google,
    and found that it’s really informative. I’m going
    to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future.
    Numerous people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

Comment by Bella – April 4, 2014 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My programmer is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of
    the expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on various websites for about a year and am worried about switching to another platform.
    I have heard very good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment by customizing wristband – April 7, 2014 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Waaaa A lot of them have taken the class before, so they know som hintts and tricks for the exams that are
    really nice too know. Having that in mind, bawre wih me to gett tthe latest how to
    chet castle clash scoop onn Castle Clash hack is onne the most
    played on android platform today, it is shooting at one.
    We will be able to break you free precious stones,
    gold and mana for free.

Comment by Castle clash hack v1.14 – April 11, 2014 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This dosage can be increased to 1 gram daily as time passes.
    Neptune krill oil or krill oil Australia has lots of benefits for our health.

Through research, we are continually seeing the benefits of krill oil supplements compared to fish oil supplements.

Comment by krill oil – April 15, 2014 02:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Empower Network has been looking to revolutionize
    the blogging and online marketing world with its second generation viral blogging system.
    When looking for traffic you need to see what is the most
    searched for keyword for your niche and then simply write a blog around that keyword.
    World wide web products and services this sort of as writing,
    programming, and style and design are naturals.

Comment by how to start a website blog – April 15, 2014 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all people you really realize what you are talking
    about! Bookmarked. Kindly also talk over with my website =).
    We will have a link exchange arrangement between us

Comment by phen375 Reviews – April 17, 2014 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post