Sneak Peek: Weeds Creator Finds Lock-Up LOLs in the Prison Dramedy Orange Is the New Black

Get More: First Look, Previews, Video

“I have been felt up, stalked and called Taylor Swift.”

So says Piper Kerman (played by Mercy‘s Taylor Schilling) of her time in prison in Orange Is the New Black, the new Netflix series from Weeds creator Jenji Kohan.

RELATED | Netflix Is Open to More Arrested Development — Are You?

Based on the memoir of the same name, Orange follows the upper-middle-class Piper after a decade-old involvement with a drug runner (That ’70s Show‘s Laura Prepon) earns her a year-long jail sentence.

Jason Biggs (American Pie), Kate Mulgrew (Star Trek: Voyager), Natasha Lyonne (American Pie) and Pablo Schrieber (Weeds) co-star in the series, all 13 episodes of which will premiere on Netflix on Thursday, July 11.

Press PLAY on the video below to get a peek behind bars and scroll down for a look at the series’ poster, then hit the comments: Are you looking forward to Kohan’s Orange foray?

Key Art_ORANGE copy

Comments (20)

• I’ll check it out. It won me over when Rilo Kiley started to play.

Comment by John – June 6, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. A Better Son/Daughter is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Comment by popculture420 – June 6, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jenji must like Rilo Kiley, as one of their songs played at the end of the “Weeds” pilot and in the series’ final scene (which I loved).

Comment by Kevin H. – June 6, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • With Arms Outstretched. I think she used it in the Weeds premiere, too…definitely in the first season sometime. Her musical choices for Weeds were awesome all around.

Comment by popculture420 – June 6, 2013 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • They used “with arms outstretched” if I remember correctly.

Comment by michael – June 12, 2013 11:18 AM PDT
        • Jenny Lewis was also one of the guest artists to sing the opening “Little Houses” in one or two episodes.

Comment by TA37 – July 20, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks awful.

Comment by Jase – June 6, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jodie Foster directed an episode.

Comment by EJ – June 6, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to watch a episode and see if it is any good, I really like the humor that weed had, maybe this will also have some of that crazy fun that weeds had and it’s always good to have some drama mixed in :)

Comment by Kresh – June 6, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the book. I’ll check it out.

Comment by madhatter360 – June 6, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate Mulgrew looks great in it, other than that… ehhh.

Comment by Midori – June 6, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The cast seems to be good but I can’t see how theyll keep the show all that funny if it takes place solely in a prison. Eventually they’ll run out of prison humor right? But I love Kohan and Weeds so I’ll check it out

Comment by Lisa – June 6, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kohan loves shaking a show up, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they left prison and the show continued. That was one of my favorite things about Weeds- whether it worked or not, she wasn’t afraid to keep changing the show. Ill definitely watch this.

Comment by Warren – June 6, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this looks kind of amazing! i loved her in mercy.

Comment by abby – June 6, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping Laura Prepon has a bigger part in it than the promo shows…

Comment by Delirious – June 6, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I bet that she will get thrown in the same jail later on.

Comment by Rook – June 6, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely going to watch this. As a big fan of Weeds, I can see some of the same style in this. Looks like it has a pretty great cast, too.

Comment by CJ – June 6, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks awesome and seems like the kind of show I’d expect to see on Showtime. I’ll definitely check it out.

There was a British show called Bad Girls that was about female inmates and was quite good. It was more of a drama, but definitely had some comedic elements. It was supposed to get adapted for FX; wonder what happened with that…

Comment by Sareeta – June 7, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what is the song at the start on the ep

Comment by rebecca – July 14, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post