Emmys

Emmys 2013: The Supporting Comedy Actress Race in Review, Including Our 6 Dream Nominees

Emmy Best Supporting Actress Comedy NomineesWith two of last year’s nominees (Saturday Night Live’s Kristen Wiig and Desperate Housewives’ late Kathryn Joosten) out of the running, and a third (Nurse Jackie’s Merritt Wever) looking less like a long shot than a no shot, the field is wide open. Even if The Big Bang Theory’s Mayim Bialik, and Modern Family’s Sofia Vergara and Julie Bowen (2012’s winner), are again nominated, that still leaves three slots open — or two if Emmy raises another glass to Arrested Development’s intoxicating Jessica Walter.

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Supporting Comedy Actor | Outstanding Drama Series | Lead Drama Actor | Lead Drama Actress | Supporting Drama Actor | Supporting Drama Actress | Outstanding Reality-Competition Series

Review the following slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s Dream Nominees — then hit the comments to vote for who you think are the six best. And check back Monday as we tackle the Outstanding Drama Series race!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Awards, Dream Emmy Nominees, Emmys, Lists

1. Maria says:

to be honest Naya Rivera is a long shot but she deserves to be on that list, she was the best thing about this mess of a season. She didn’t even have a storyline this year and she was a mere guest star but in every episode she was in she was the best thing about the episode. And just for the fact that she was the star of a show in a season in which she was in 8 episodes i think says a lot (about her and about the poor quality of the show too )

my dream list would be

Naya Rivera
    Mayim Bialik
    Carly Chaikin
    Julie Bowen
    Busy Phillips

2. Britta Unfiltered says:

Mayim Bialik, Julie Bowen, and Sofia Vergara all for sure get spots, and I think Jessica Walters is probably a shoo-in as well. The Emmys love her, they love the show, and she’s a scene-stealer. I think they probably go for nostalgia and nominate Jane Krakowski, and then I think the 6th spot goes to one of the girls from Girls. Probably Zosia Mamet since her character is so lovable. Allison Williams had more material last season, but it’s a hard to like character. But Melissa Rauch is in contention. I may switch her in and switch Zosia out later. I think (hope) Jessica Walters can win this. She has a good episode to submit. If not her, then probably Mayim Bialik due to TBBT’s growing popularity.
    I had a hard time picking dream picks. I pretty much only know that I want Jessica Walters to win. If forced to pick 5 others, then I would go with Eden Sher, Merritt Wever, Alia Shawkat, Aubrey Plaza, and any of the ladies from Happy Endings would be just fine with me.

3. Allie says:

As much as I adore Naya Rivera, I don’t think she’ll get nominated. She’s been the only good thing about that awful show since it went downhill. But I hope Jessica Walter gets nominated, she’s amazing.

4. FrenchKiss says:

Naya Rivera coz Santana is the best thing on Glee!

5. SJ says:

My dream nominees:

Jane Krakowski (WIN) – consistently amazing on 30 Rock
    Cheryl Hines – one of the best things about Suburgatory, had some emotional episodes
    Carly Chaikin – the best deadpan delivery on television bar none
    Rashida Jones – no longer the straight (wo)man of the show, deserves recognition
    Eden Sher – still the best thing about The Middle
    Kate McKinnon – one of the very few reasons why I still tune to SNL.

6. schu says:

Any girls from Happy Endings and I’m a happy camper! Casey, Eliza, & Elisha are all too great to not be recognized. I would love a completely fresh batch of nominees for once (except I’m still a forever Modern Fam fan so I’m ok with Julie or Sofia), but give Eden, Carly, or Busy a nod at least.

7. Leah says:

Jane Krakowski, for the win! Also rooting for Eden Sehr, the Happy Endings girls, and Aubrey Plaza.

8. Juan says:

Eliza coupe ftw, I love that you choose her and Casey Wilson. Happy endings deserves to get picked up.

9. CJatl says:

Any final nomination list missing the name “Eden Sher” will not be the list of best supporting actresses on TV this year. It’s supposed to be for acting, not for popularity. Eden Sher has nailed her character more than any other actress on this bloated list. Merritt Weaver is the only other actress who comes close.

10. Aubrey says:

The Big Bang Theory girls all the way!
    Kaley, Melissa, and Mayim are comedy gold!

11. lol says:

lol at gleeks who say Naya should be nominated. Her material was crap, she hasn’t any strong material.

12. John says:

I hope that Naya Rivera gets nominated (and I don’t care if Glee was good or not). Naya was indeed one the best part of Season 4 but, she should get nominated for her talent and for her comedic genius.

13. Ella says:

PENNY HARTZ FOR THE WIN!

14. Mayim Bialik, Kaley Cuoco, Zosia Momet, Allison Williams and MOST IMPORTANTLY Naya Rivera. Yeah, people have said this season of Glee has sucked, it has in parts, the whole idea of ‘supposedly’ splitting the season between Ohio and New York didn’t work out too well. I don’t mind the ND at McKinley, but we were seriously left pining for more of the New York side to be shown. When they moved Santana to NY (finally) the show definitely picked up as I’m sure many will agree. Naya Rivera SAVED the show with her quick wit and sassiness this season and for that reason alone she deserves an Emmy nomination!

15. MrMank says:

I think there should be space for both Jessica Walter and Alia Shawkat! Their episodes of Arrested Development have been the funniest parts of this uneven season.

16. Nata says:

Jane Krakowski
    Jenna Fischer
    Kaley Cucou
    Julie Bowen
    Naya Rivera
    Casey Wilson

17. ka says:

Naya Rivera

18. Martina says:

Gillian Jacobs!!

19. flutiefan says:

i just realized Elizabeth McGovern from “How To Live With Your Parents For The Rest Of Your Life” was left off this list. she was the best thing about that show, and one of the funniest characters on TV this entire season.

20. Singing_gal says:

Cheryl, Carly, Kristen, Jane, Zosia, and Anna C, just cuz i frickin adore her!

21. Emily says:

Naya Rivera deserves to be nominated and to win. The only reason I watched season 4 of glee.

22. Reece says:

So happy you have Anna Chlumsky listed! She’s hilarious on that show. Alison Brie is one of my favorites, too, but Community was really weak this season. I’ve never gotten the hype over Big Bang Theory – the show seems cheap and rushed to me. I root for Blossom no matter what though. I hope we see some surprises on nomination day; I’m so tired of seeing the same names every year.

23. mikerochen says:

My top six, in no particular order, are:
    (1) Kaley Cuoco
    (2) Melissa Rauch
    (3) Mayim Bialik
    (4) Anna Chlumsky
    (5) Julie Bowen
    (6) Jenna Fischer

I should also point out that I see Kaley as more of a Lead role, but this seems to be where she’s nominated. All due respect to Jane Krakowski and the other fine comediennes on the tube these days, it is long past time for Kaley Cuoco to at least get a nomination, and she should win at least once while this show is on the air.

24. Damn Gurl says:

Naya Rivera should at least get a nomination. SHE HELD A SHOW TOGETHER BY HERSELF, DEFYING HOW BAD IT HAS GOTTEN. All of her material is amazing.

Other than her, Aubrey Plaza, Zosia Mamet, and Jenna!

#nomoremodernfamily

25. Sarah Stone says:

Melissa Rauch is absolutely deserving as a Supporting comedic actress. Bernadette has been such a wonderful addition to the cast!

26. Emelie says:

Jessica Walter! Also honestly I’d like to see Portia win even in the lead actress catagory.