Showtime Officially Cancels The Borgias – Find Out How It Was Supposed to End

Get More: Cancellations

The Borgias CancelledIt’s official: The Borgias‘ Season 3 finale on June 16 will now function as a series finale.

Showtime on Wednesday cancelled the Jeremy Irons-fronted period drama, and also scrapped plans for a two-hour wrap-up movie.

PHOTOS | TVLine Wish List: 30 Actors From Cancelled Series We Want Back on TV Now

“When they looked at what it could cost, it was just too expensive,” series creator Neil Jordan told Deadline. “I would have loved to bring all the characters to a conclusion. All of the actors were heartbroken we couldn’t continue, and so was I.”

Had the telepic been given a green light, viewers would have been treated to what Jordan calls a “totally biblical ending” featuring “the Pope dying and no one willing to hear his confession. When they finally find a confessor and the Pope starts to repent his sins, the confessor interrupts him, saying, ‘I’m sorry, it’s too late, you’re already dead and burning in hell.’”

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

Comments (209)

• I wonder if the fans can hound the network into giving use a real finale season even if its only a couple of episodes to end it right we did it with La Femme Nikita they ended it the fans said that wasn’t good enough so they gave use 8 more episodes after it had been officially ended.

Comment by tawanna – July 9, 2013 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are they crazy, borgia is the best show on showtime. They totally dont care about us, the viewers.

Comment by denis – July 17, 2013 03:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh no please PLEASE bring the borgias back for season 4 I just don’t understand how they could cancel the show what a bunch of losers surely another channel has to pick it up also don’t get me wrong I love game of thrones but I would go as far as to say that 3series of the borgias have been better than all current series of GOT so I don’t understand how they can still run it and cancel the borgias! So annoyed Showtime you suck

Comment by shannon – July 19, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show. Just alil disgusted learning the show was canceled, (for a proper ending..as the way it ended on season 3..made no sense unless some how the loose strings were tied up night and need which they weren’t). TO expensive to make..DONT hear these folks complain about the expense of other shows ..sit coms…that stink, reality shows that stink. Non stop repeats for decades..alls the networks do is switch them from channel to channel. Ask the staff, actors to see about a slight pay cut or something. As it stands..Spent the money for this show..which didnt get an end resolution..why waste your money to get it/watch it..Ill go back to books..and reading..

Comment by Sandra Dorsey – August 12, 2013 03:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What an awful way to suddenly end a series.. I was so looking forward to Season 4 and now I have nothing to look forward too. I very much enjoyed this series but I guess all good things must come to an end. NOT HAPPY! . The end of Season 3 is NOT a proper ending. It just leaves you hanging. I want Borgias back!!!!

Comment by Monica L.Wilson – November 13, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No point canceling Showtime if you want them to make quality shows of this calibre. They openly state that it was a budget issues, so complaining won’t help either. Put your money where your mouth is. Maybe Showtime needs to cost more than it does for viability. Increase your payments with your reasons why. Someone suggested Kickstarter to raise the funds to finish the shoe. I am sure the producers would find that widely inspirational, and a true indication of the fervour of viewers to see this show properly completed.

Comment by audrieau – November 15, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesus.. i just finished Season 3 which was totally Badass and I feel so INCOMPLETE after I learned that Season 4 will never happen..! NOT COOL!

Comment by Elena – February 22, 2014 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really disappointed!!!

Comment by Hestia Rouge – March 31, 2014 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a complete travisty. Any show that is compeling through it’s dialogue, and intricate plot twist and complexity. Is too much for the general public to find entertaining. Unless it connects with the knuckle dragging mouth breathers. Who are one swing away from the branch. Who can’t string a sentance together because their mouths are full from preening their mates hair and eating the nits found there. Or eating the ants off a stick they stuck into a log. God forbid their attention be captured by a show that doesn’t cate to the monosyllabic.

Comment by Kipp – April 19, 2014 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post