Showtime Officially Cancels The Borgias – Find Out How It Was Supposed to End

The Borgias CancelledIt’s official: The Borgias‘ Season 3 finale on June 16 will now function as a series finale.

Showtime on Wednesday cancelled the Jeremy Irons-fronted period drama, and also scrapped plans for a two-hour wrap-up movie.

PHOTOS | TVLine Wish List: 30 Actors From Cancelled Series We Want Back on TV Now

“When they looked at what it could cost, it was just too expensive,” series creator Neil Jordan told Deadline. “I would have loved to bring all the characters to a conclusion. All of the actors were heartbroken we couldn’t continue, and so was I.”

Had the telepic been given a green light, viewers would have been treated to what Jordan calls a “totally biblical ending” featuring “the Pope dying and no one willing to hear his confession. When they finally find a confessor and the Pope starts to repent his sins, the confessor interrupts him, saying, ‘I’m sorry, it’s too late, you’re already dead and burning in hell.'”

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

1. I’m really disappointed that it was cancelled. It’s such a good show. I’ve only started watching it recently but I’m already obsessed. it’s a stupid move imo, especially since the last episode went up in ratings. SMH

2. Jan Rounsville says:

That is just a shame they canceled the Borgias. I was a fantastic series and all the actors are amazing, especially Jeremy Irons. I am so sad to hear this.

3. Sarah U. MacMillan says:

Showtime’s decision makes me sick. Nevins has given a real kick in the teeth to Jordan, to the fine actors and to the increasingly devoted viewers of this brilliant series. When writers, actors and fans have devoted themselves to the telling and the support of a rich drama, it is cynical and manipulative for Showtime to truncate the story’s end sheerly for profit motives.

4. BrianR says:

FU Showtime

5. kaili says:

NOOOOOO!!!!!!

6. Soapstef says:

Showtime should expect their own biblical ending! They’ve cancelled too many of my favorites and now they won’t even give the Borgias a proper send off! Well there’s no reason to keep this cable package….back to HBO.

7. sbstyer says:

Whats next Homeland?

8. gabby says:

boooo! Totally bummed. I love this show :(

9. Svetlana says:

I think good option for Showtime is continue the series about Cesare’s Borgia life. make it separate season with other director if Neil is tired, but with same cast, at least for main characters

10. Vonnie Smith says:

At end of June I will Not be paying for Showtime,this decided it for me. Hope the actors can go on to be on other Projest that we Can See. Guess I’ll write my on ending in my head . It will be Cesere ,Lucrezia & their kids living haply ever after since They Weren’t the popes biological Childern.LOL their Mother had them by Someone else & the Joke is on Pope Alexander,WoW he got it from her in the END. Had to laugh to keep from cryin. Thanks guys for entertaining us .Commet by Vonnie

11. Sofia14 says:

Nooo, worst news ever. That was my favorite show! Going back to HBO, Showtime is broke.

12. Jenn Q says:

This is absolutely awful news!! I have thoroughly enjoyed all 3 seasons of The Borgias and was looking forward to see the shows version of the end. This is an absolute disservice to the talented actors who have worked so hard and the fans that deserved an ending. Way to go Showtime-you suck :-(

13. Poppy says:

I’m really sad to hear this. I hoped they would give them a final season or at least a wrap-up movie. Well, a big thank you to all involved – I loved your show!

14. Tiffany says:

My name is Tiffany and I definitely protest I’m so angry and hurt at the same time right now this is a horrible Reality I just can’t believe that this is even happening what in the world would make them decide this? This season just ending like this is so horribly unfair this show was so good I loved it, everything about it including the music!! This just goes to show that any TV series that we’re enthralled in is NOT good! We are not to be addicted to any television is the much bigger picture!!! We are not supposed to be so addicted to television in the first place and WE’RE all supposed to be looking somewhere else oUTside of the box, that is the message and it has to be because everything good on TV is so distracting!! Everything else that is so boring is not distracting at all for us geniuses so that is the message for all of us, were enhanced to appreciate something better that we have to be focused on something more!!!! that is the sense I make of this unfair, really confusing outcome/ ridiculous result! Yes, everything comes to money never taken into account all of the money we spent to subscribe to Showtime at all! Isn’t that would life says to us in so many other ways wow what a message & what a lesson, we will be done with you once and for all TV, on to our bigger & better purposes, THE END!! & good riddance Showtime!!!

15. Michelle says:

Complete BS. So ticked!

16. Kristen says:

I’m so disappointed. I really loved the show. I hate when networks cancel series without giving them an opportunity to offer some closure. I know that we can go to history books and wikipedia to find out what happens to the family, but it’s just not the same as seeing it played out on the screen.

17. Lori says:

I for one will not ever buy showtime again! This series is the only reason I have it to begin with! Way too much money to spend every month for stupid re-run movies!

18. Jennifer says:

They cancel this show but tv always seems to renew shows like the bachelor, etc. You have done us wrong showtime! I am canceling you and never watching you again. And Neil Jordan is a lazy writer..if you start something, finish it.. What about the fans?! Nice going.

19. Rodge1978 says:

This is my first time posting on tv line. I will miss The Borgias, I don’t believe/understand the “it’s too expensive” excuse ( They did three seasons, but a movie is too expensive?). I think Showtime just didn’t want to do it ( new management). I will keep Showtime ( it’s only $10 a month on my bill) until after Dexter, then I’ll decide whether to keep it or not. I hope they have great shows coming, because they are losing two great shows.
    Micheletto, Cesare, and Lucrezia are my favorite characters. RIP Borgias :~(

20. mary says:

It’s odd in that they axed this show without a proper ending. A shortened season or something. It was good series.

21. Cece says:

I am SO upset. This was the best show on television. I feel very bad for the talented actors( all of them).. I mean, Sean Harris… Just WOW. Holliday Grainger, François Arnaud. BRAVO!!! Standing Ovation. I wish you luck on your future endeavors.
    Now for Showtime….
    What a bunch of a**holes!!! I am canceling you… then, I am telling ALL my friends to cancel you… and they will tell ALL of their friends to cancel you! ETC.
    Wrong move, Showtime.

22. Olive says:

“The Borgias” cancelled = Showtime Cancelled.
    xxoo

23. Lucy says:

I loved this show…I sad that I wont get to see the creators ending to the series.

24. Talia says:

I am so disappointed to hear that the Borgias has been cancelled. There’s only 3/4 more years to tell in the story of the Pope. The fans who’ve stuck by this show deserve a proper ending wether it’s a 2 hour movie or a shortened 4/6 episode run. Showtime sucks.

25. Kimberlee says:

What a total bummer! CBS owns Showtime, so they can certainly afford to keep it going, or at least make a two hour movie conclusion. Does it have anything to do with telling the truth about the Catholic Church and them not appreciating that? It would not surprise me! This is the last straw with me and Showtime…as soon as Dexter is over, I’m gone too!

26. Alli says:

I love the borgias! I am upset that show time cancelled this series that after this ends I will be canceling them. Goodbye show time!

27. Dinah says:

How many customers are you willing to lose Showtime?! Goodbye for good, Showtime. I have had it with you. The Borgias was great television, sorry to see it end.

28. jamieman says:

this series really deserved a proper ending – Cesare’s role as a warrior was just getting good. Jordan and cast, great job for three seasons. Showtime, you suck

29. N Jewell says:

We totally committed to The Borgias, watching every episode and looking forward to a fourth season. Feel very cheated that we are just stopping with no real ending. Will think twice before buying to another Showtime series. Excellent show – bad form, Showtime, you ripped off the audience.

30. Rock says:

This is the kind of disrespect for fans that made me quit watching network TV shows! The least Showtime could have done was do the movie wrapping the series up!! As fans and paying subscribers we should let Showtime know that this is not right!!

31. Joshua says:

First off I want to preface this by saying that I NEVER ever write on blogs or other Internet forums. But after reading what has been said about possibly canceling season 4. I must say that for me, and many others that I know., when it comes down to Sunday entertainment, for me and so many other people, The Borgias is THE ONLY thing we all have to look forward to. Not only is the pageantry,plot and the costumes, “ABSOLUTELY TOP NOTCH” But the cast is absolutely far above any other show currently on. In fact it’s gotten to the point where when the choice of going to see a multi-million dollar Hollywood movie just released at the movies, my family decides to stay home and watch the show., because both the plot, actors, and sets, and costumes are ABSOLUTELY JUST AS GOOD,! As anything else out there. To not belabor the point… I and my family and friends truly hope that you decide to press on with many more seasons of the show, as it just gets better and better and far more intriguing than anything else on PERIOD!! I think to end the show not would absolutely disappoint and break the hearts of SO many viewers, when you have such an original and utterly captivating cast and story line. To me it would like taking a Shakespeare novel and half way through it just stopping. First off I want to preface this by saying that I NEVER ever write on blogs or other Internet forums. But after reading what has been said about possibly canceling season 4. I must say that for me, and many others that I know., when it comes down to Sunday entertainment, for me and so many other people, The Borgias is THE ONLY thing we all have to look forward to. Not only is the pageantry and the costumes, “ABSOLUTELY TOP NOTCH” But the cast is absolutely far above any other show currently on. In fact it’s gotten to the point where when the choice of going to see a multi-million dollar Hollywood movie just released at the movies, my family decides to stay home and watch the show., because both the plot, actors, and sets, and costumes are ABSOLUTELY JUST AS GOOD,! As anything else out there. To not belabor the point… I and my family and friends try hope that you decide to press on with many more seasons of the show, as it just gets better and better and far more intriguing than anything else on PERIOD!! I think to end the show not would absolutely disappoint SO many viewers, when you have such an original and utter captivating cast and story line. To me it would like taking and reading a Shakespeare novel like MacBeth and half way through it just stopping. This show is truly a remarkable and completely mesmerizing experience. I hope and pray with such a top shelf and truly remarkable, and utterly talented cast and storyline that you will continue to give its audience something to continue to look forward to on their Sunday evening., as only “The Borgias” can.This show is truly a remarkable and completely mesmerizing experience. I hope and pray with such a top shelf and truly remarkable, and utterly talented cast and storyline that you will continue to give its audience something to continue to look forward to on their Sunday evening., as only “The Borgias” can.

32. Daniel says:

Really, Showtime? :( Whyyyyyy!!!!! Everyone! Go sign the online petition! Maybe we can get Showtime to bring the show back! It already has 4000 plus signatures!
    #SavetheBorgias

33. Meg says:

This series was so good and it just kept getting better and better and better. WTF SHOTIME

34. yve says:

You know, I know televsion productions cost money; they get mired in politics and BS– great shows get cancelled, crap shows are churned out ad nausem and what gauls me is that I’ve paid for this mistreatment. Greedy suits have been ruining great programs forever. Back in the day, when you could plug your tv into a socket and get programming for free, it hurt just as much to see a show like “Frank’s Place” screwed over (and that’s only one show I can think of, I’m sure everyone had some wonderful quality program that got reamed and dismissed over money, the creative vision and boardroom bottom-lines) as it does to shell out $200 a month to, yet again, be denied a quality program.

Yeah, “it’s just tv”. But it was fantastic entertainment; that made me think; had me researching the history and enriching my viewing pleasure that much more–and looking forward to every episode. It had PHENOMENAL actors, and as some said above, how disrespectful to them, the crew and the audience. I hope they all go on to greater success.

In the meantime, shame on me. I’m not paying the kind of money anymore that these cable providers jack you for and to have outfits like Showtime claim they don’t have the money to finish what they started. I don’t even care about “Dexter” anymore, that’s how disheartened I am. I won’t be watching “Vatican”, either, screw that noise. They hit me in my pocket and my gut–time to hit back. I may be just a drop in the bucket, but it’s all I got. And I hear Fontana’s “Borgia” is coming back for a 3rd season–I found it riveting and excellent in it’s own right and hope Netflix will run it. Other than that I’ll be looking for Arnaud, McKee, Harris and Grainger in other projects–and hopefully venues I’ll have access to. So long, Showtime, and Verizon Fios, as well. (and did you guys get a load of the server problems Verizon had Sunday night all over the country, unable to stream Showtime Anytime? It finally came online, but boy were people hot, me included.)

35. . says:

For cancelling the borgias the reward would be one less subscriber. Showtime FY, bunch of MOFOS.

• Debra says:

I think you will find that Showtime will be loosing a lot of subscribers because you can not count on Showtime to finish what they start!!

36. bob blatt says:

nothing like investing 3 years watching a quality show like the borgias and having some schmuck cancel it, leaving its fans without the closure it deserves

• Debra says:

That schmuck should be fired!!! Even though i have ordered all three seasons of the Borgias on DVD (season 3 pre-ordered), The shows millions of fans will never receive closer, you can read all of the books out on the Borgias but none of them will offer the insight to the characters like this series did and this I would bet will discourage these millions of fans so as they never forgive or trust Showtime again!!!

37. Calm_Skeptic says:

Actually it looks like the ratings for The Borgias stayed consistently below 1 million, while the ratings for trash (don’t pretend it isn’t) like Game of Thrones has been on a considerable upward trajectory with its season three finale bringing in over 5 million viewers. Big difference. SImilarly, True Blood (again, trash) has stayed between 4-5 million viewers, even though it’s totally gone off the rails. HBO’s a big spender, and unfortunately historical dramas don’t stand a chance against well-funded escapist populist nonsense which has currently become HBO’s staple. Thank goodness Da Vinci’s Demons has come on the scene. Sure it’s historical fantasy, but it’s certainly more historical than [guffaw!] Game of Thrones. And it’s set in Renaissance Italy! So fingers crossed that it has at least as long a life as The Borgias, if not longer.

• Debra says:

Actually the ratings for the Borgias are over 2.4 million do we not count? The Game of Thrones is a great big LAUGH,!!! I guess the intellectual viewers like adults that want subsidence in what they are viewing are not being considered. Well those adults pay the cable bill, so Showtime might want to rethink cancelling what we consider entertainment.

• Chris says:

Well… interesting post there, you mock game of thrones and then you present da vinci’s demons as some form of “historical” drama/thriller/whatnot? I have never in my life seen anything accurate involving da vinci, and from the trailer I can guarantee you that dv’s demons won’t be anything different. Looks like cooked-up horse manure to me. Everyone has an english accent, davinci is young as funk, banging broads left & right, supernatural shiznit abounds… riiight, that’ll replace the borgias nicely!
      fingers crossed it dies a quick death, IMHO

38. Susie says:

Well, I can’t unsubscribe from Showtime because I don’t get it in Canada. I’ve been watching on Bravo! My cable service only just got the HD version of the network a couple of weeks ago too. Just like the rest of you, I’m really upset that it’s cancelled. I knew there wasn’t much left to Rodrigo’s life when it was 1500, but not continuing the series to his death is inexcusable. Thankfully, Bravo! isn’t a premium channel I’ve had to pay a fortune for. Truth be told, I hardly watch it at all except for this show, so I guess it’ll just sit unwatched again as usual after Sunday.

39. Debra says:

No matter what the cost, Showtime should have factored all these costs in prior to getting the audience involved in the Borgias. Period pieces like the Borgias are what their audience want, as they found out with the Tudors, which was good, but not EXCEPTIONAL like The Borgias. This group of actors are the best of the best,and have achieved greatness through this series……….. I get so tired of c#@! shows, like their new one Ray Donavan or should we call it the remake of the sopranos??? What on earth is Showtime thinking if we wanted to watch this ordinary junk we wouldnt be paying to watch Showtime!!!!, I have read the history of the Borigias, but this series and actors brought it to life. I dont think I will ever invest my time in another Showtime series, especially since Showtime does not live up to their promise of a completed project!!!

40. Carole says:

Nooooooo….Please don’t cancel the best show on TV….I am so devastated

41. ellen says:

This was a great series and they did follow Mario Puzo’s book a little even though they say they didn’t use it. It was the pope who made cesare show lucrecia how to be with a man and yes they were incestuous too. But their grandmother was the one that taught lucrezia how to poison. Also there was a younger brother as well and Cesare had gotten some kind of plague that scared his face for life. this ending was horrible and left everyone up in the air.

42. Debra says:

The Borgias “The Prince” is excellent, no one is denying that, but when we, the fans found out that Showtime decided to end the entire series on this episode, we are very much feeling under appreciated and unforgiving of this decision. For three years we have been a part of The Borgias family from Rodrigo Borgia (the Pope) to Lucrezia, Juan and Cesare, along with the additional cast members, from the witty Machiavelli, who delivered greatness that all of the fans are still quoting, to Michelletto and his hard nosed facade with the exception of his loyalty to Cesare………………….to Katerina Schwartzer, the female fatale of the series.

When many series disappear, we the fans, think very little of it, but for The Borgias to be cancelled before it reached conclusion is an intolerable and thoughtless act that non of the Borgias fans will ever forgive or forget. We do not care what idiotic reason is given for the cancellation, we invested ourselves into The Borgia family and trusted Showtime to do right by their customers. SHOWTIME, MAKE IT RIGHT, by finishing what you started, we the fans are begging for season 4, of The Borgias and this does not mean replacing The Borgias with The Vatican, we will snub the series even it is good because it will never be able to replace The Borgias (unless of course the cast of The Borgias are in the Vatican)!!!!!

43. Dodie says:

I love Borgia’s…..how dare you too cancel this…..I am hook when the plot gets thicker, you decide to cancel…..please have movie or keep the series going……keep my eyes on…..will cancel Showtime….

44. potvin says:

What a shame! All the good shows get cancelled while mindless drivel continues apace. I understand that production costs must have been great because it was a great looking show. Duh, that’s why we were watching! Too bad some other entity doesn’t pick it up. I’ll miss Holliday Grainger. She is so sweet!

45. Joepet says:

I have not watched this series because they keep cancelling continuation TV shows before they have an ending.
    Tell Showtime I won’t be buying seasons 1,2 and 3 since there is no ending.
    It looked interesting though.
    Too bad.

46. Rob says:

Why spend millions on high brow intellectual entertainment when for the same price they can make 5 dumbed down studio audience laff track pieces of crap to distract the great unwashed and take their $$$. Just wait till G.O.T gets cancelled because they’d rather use the budget for some reality show.

47. Adel says:

What a shame!!!!

48. Gerg Nosivad says:

To compare ‘The Tudors’ with ‘The Borgias’ is utter nonsense! Come on! A well fit 28 yo playing a forty something morbidly obese tyrant?! It was nowt more than early Renaissance soft porn tho ‘The Borgias’ certainly has enough ‘operation legover’ to spice thing up. As if the they were going to pass up on the standard incest pitch allus thrown at Lucretia, and yes ‘Pillars Of the Earth’ along with it’s sequel ‘World Without End’ were cracking good tells, they take screaming liberties with history…

49. Rob says:

Meanwhile, crap like Big Brother goes on. And on. And on. And on and on and on and on and on …

50. Terra says:

Too bad they couldn’t let it come to conclusion. That’s why Showtime fails where HBO rules.