What Happens Next: On Scandal, Will Olivia Pope's Pop Get Quizzed? And Who Tattled?

Scandal Season 3 Preview Olivia DadTVLine hits rewind on the TV season’s biggest “What Happens Next” finales, then invites you to predict the cliffhanger outcomes

“Dad…?!”

With that one small word, the Season 2 finale of ABC’s Scandal dropped many a jaw to the floor, as viewers learned that Rowan, the mysterious and ruthless leader of the B613 blackest-of-ops program, is father to none other than Olivia Pope.

So, what words possibly come next? After all, series boss Shonda Rhimes has said that there quite possibly will be no time jump at all when Season 3 opens. How much will either party share about their very different lives? Will Dad ‘fess up to any of his many shady acts?

RELATED | What Happens Next: Has a Grey’s Anatomy Marriage Flatlined? Is It Lights Out for Richard?

Then there’s the matter of the hurly-burly swirling around them, seeing as Rowan just “rescued” his little gladiator from a media feeding frenzy, now that she has been outed as President Grant’s mistress. Who blabbed to the press?

RELATED | What Happens Next: Castle‘s Kate Owes Rick An Answer (Can She Possibly Say No?)

Rewatch the Season 2 finale’s final moments here, then review our carefully hand-crafted poll options and share your predictions for what happens next.

1. My personal ‘what happens next’ on Scandal is that Fitz stops treating Mellie like a doormat and starts treating her like his wife.

• the girl says:

Only if Mellie stops treating him like a trophy.

• Warren says:

Amen! Everyone always talks about how big of a monster Mellie is, but look at the way Fitz treats her.

• Mateo says:

I’m sorry but NO, Mellie has always, from day 1, belittled Fitz. She has, and this does sound a bit awful, earn that. She has backstab him on numerous ocations, ie the hole “miscarriage” ordeal, or the “ringing of the genocide bell”, she has made things that were about Fitz about herself, i.e Inauguration day, she has lied to him, ei post-defience during her power fight with Cyrus. So Mellie isn’t a monster because of the way Fitz treat her, he treats her that way because she is a politcal monster.

• Anon says:

How about Mellie gets her own life and move on from Fitz? She needs to get some self esteem and stop depending on a man to secure her future. She should just get a damn divorce and latch onto another powerful man to help her since that seems to be her goal in life.

Mellie is SUPPOSEDLY brilliant (book smart) but she has done nothing as far as I can see as a political wife to secure her own political future which she craves. Mellie seems to be all talk when it comes to her much talked about future career.

• Nat says:

I have to agre with Anon, here. Mellie is a beautiful, brilliant, Harvard-alumni lawyer. Translation? She is DANGEROUS. If Fitz has finally fallen in love truly (“post-Mellie”) for the first time & he has decided he wants a divorce, then for Pete’s sake – GIVE it to him, and move ON. Why be with someone who doesn’t love her the way she deserves? If she tries to fight him on all this now, then she will just end up looking bitter & spiteful, and that will only hurt her worse. Mellie & Fitz’s marriage was clearly on the rocks LONG before Olivia showed up. Mellie can clearly make it without Fitz – and she’s got big WH dreams anyways (a la Hilary). They BOTH deserve to be happy – and since Infidelity is NEVER appropriate anyways..let them go their separate ways, and at least be civil/friends, even if it’s just for the sake of their poor children, caught in the middle.

Now that the Press knows…I can’t WAIT to see how Olitz is going to handle this one! Fitz told her to “stand down” & let him handle this. I sure hope he’s ready to put his money where his mouth is!! Time to “pay up”, Fitz!!!! :D

• Nella says:

True say. POTUS needs to show Liv how much he’s in this!! but on the other hand, seeing as the season ends with him “going back” to Mellie and her saying her gladiators need her, is he really going to come for the rescue?? my money is on Rowan a.ka. Dad!! i think he’ll spin this and help her out of this situation (despite my gut telling me he’s the one who leaked the name to the press).

• Nat says:

@Nella Hi! :) You’re right – I guess I can understand why Liv had to return to her crew; it’s too early in the series for her to be redecorating the West Wing just yet!! I gotta admit, though: I’m stumped/stunned/speechless on the whole “Rowan-is-Dad” angle (Starwars flashback: “Luke….I ammmm your faaaaaaaaaaaahtherrrr”). Clearly, not your typical Father figure, here! I mean, the Man tried to KILL his own CHILD? What the..??!!!! What kind of Monster IS this guy?

And if SR tries to bring back Jake into the picture as Liv’s “Love interest No. 2″, I will NOT be watching much of S3. I don’t care for Jake at all. If they MUST have him in S3, then IMO he should stick to being only in a protective/guardian role on behalf of Fitz, rather than trying to constantly move in on Fitz’s girl when POTUS is looking the other way.

• Julie says:

i am actually replying to Nat…i like Jake and I think him and Olivia should get together.. he didn’t realize at first that Olivia was Fitz’s mistress….

• auntiepaulie says:

Rewatch and you will see, Jake was sent by Rowan, olivia’s dad, to break up Olitz. So he knew. The writers started down that path, messed up the writing and created confusion. Fact remains, Jake the snake was sent to break them up, again, he knew. Many holes in the writing, eg. Fitz said his mother had died (The Trail) then in Hunting season, Mellie is seen asking Hal and Tom, if Fitz’s mother had gotten him upset. There is the look of surprise on Jake’s face when Fitz hugged Olivia at the hospital yet in episode ‘Any Question’ Rowan said to him, :your mission was clear, get between the president and Ms Pope…”. and there are other holes.

• SO agree, I really hate how Fitz treats both Mellie and Olivia, he expects them both to do what he wants and when he wants it, cumon Shonda give these women some balls!

• T says:

What show are you watching? Those two women tell him what to do all of the time. Anytime he makes a decision for himself one of them or Cyrus step in and manipulate FItz or the situation so he has to fall back. Neither Mellie or Olivia are victims. If anyone needs balls it’s Fitz. But really he needs a divorce and staff overhaul.

• Vicki Oswald says:

I think Mellie and Olivia have plenty of testosterone. Mellie is a mother with 3 children and it really burns to know that the father of the children does not want you. Olivia has more than enough chutzpah. Great character. Looks out for her best interests.

• Bianca MC says:

I actually do not want olivia to just go to fitz can we get some #TEAMJAKE here love him

• Julie says:

yes I am also for Jake. I mean I do love Olivia and Fitz (forbidden love thing) but that is not gonna happen….not now anyway. so while we wait lets have a little Jake and Olivia time….

2. Alichat says:

Is there an “All Of The Above” option on the Rowan and Liv conversation??

3. Sarah says:

Creepy Jake leaked her name before he went in the hole. I don’t believe he saved her life either.

• Diane says:

Thank you. Jake is no hero.

• Nella says:

i have to agree. there’s a lot about Jake that we don’t know. I hope Shonda can shed some more light on him. He says he loves Liv, but there’s something i just don’t like about him. he’s hiding something. But what???

• Julie says:

I think the only thing Jake was hiding was who he was working for. I think he really likes Olivia. Yes there is a lot about Jake that we don’t know but there is a lot about Olivia that we don’t know.too.

• Marion says:

I agree, he needs to stay in that hole!

4. KD says:

I think Fitz did it to force Olivia’s hand. Now, there’s nothing stopping them from getting together. And he has chosen her over everything else even the presidency.

• Rook says:

No no no. The last episodes Olivia told Fitz the plans of to divorce Mellie and over time confirm that they blossomed a relationship after the divorce. Now she is branded and the mistress who stole the president. Who ever leaked it new it would kill there chance of being together while Fitz is running for re-election.

• Julie says:

Interesting theory. it just might have been Fitz……

5. Rebecca says:

What about Hal?! He is loyal to Mellie and this would put even more distance between Fitz and Olivia!

6. Jacquie says:

I think that after the scenario Fitz painted out for Mellie in regard to how things were going to go…them getting a divorce….him dating some nice respectful woman for a few months…. him working with an old friend and falling in love with said friend and marrying said friend… the American people loving the coupling etc… I think Mellie outed Liv before any of the above could be done, to ensure NONE of the above could be done. Yep. That’s what I think

7. vicwilliam says:

as to who leaked the name i have no clue!!maybe its Olivia ‘s dad,he did say to Cyrus that they ‘know everything that happens”.I will however say this no matter who Fitz chooses or doesnt choose,Melllie,Olivia and Fitz all deserve each other!!

8. ruby says:

Why are more people shocked about the daddy twist?I was more shocked that it was leaked that olivia is the presidents mistress
    And Harrison need a backstory.shonda should try and flesh out his character
    Olivia should make her father release jake from the hole

9. Maria says:

My money’s on Mellie outing Olivia because she is not the one to be messed with. There’s no way in hell she would take Fitz’ threat lightly. Besides, Rowan’s already responsible for a number of events that have yet to be revealed (The hit on Olivia, the disappearance of Huck’s family, his plotting with Cyrus, etc). He cannot be the only one wreaking havoc next season. Plus it’s time to see Mellie take matters into her own hands!

• Cheyenne says:

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t her. Remember what her fixer said to her when she went live on the air — why didn’t she name the other woman? And then he said, Because you know if you did he would never forgive you, and part of you is still hoping he will come back you. Then he unloosed the killer: “I’m very good at what I do. But I can’t make your husband love you.”

10. Winston says:

My theory is that Harrison leaked her name to the press. Something about how she blew him off when he told her she was his client made me think he’d leak her name. It’s hard to explain why, I just feel he did. Plus it’s a shonda, woman loves a twist.

• i like where you’re going with this… Harrison is the least fleshed-out character… his dark side should come to light next season

• Nella says:

so true. come to think of it, there is very little we know about Harrison’s story. everyone has one. except him. What’s the case?? hopefully shonda will shed some light in the upcoming season….
        #cant wait

• anjoa says:

Glad I’m not the only one who thinks it was Harrison. I also can’t explain exactly why, it’s just my feeling and I think that the other options (Rowan, Mellie, Cyrus or even Fitz) are too predictable. Plus Harrison needs a story.

• GottaHaveEmAll says:

This is a real good theory and unexpected – which is classic Shonda. Here’s another thing to consider as to his motive, I read a spoiler that Harrison is secretly longing for one of the women of OPA. At first I thought it was Abby, but maybe its Olivia. He leaks her name to the press to once and for all put an end to this relationship she has with the president that he (Harrison) thinks is not good for Liv and to open the door (at least in his mind) to make a move on Liv. Harrison being interested in any of the OPA women seems a bit incestuous. I hope they don’t go this route. I would much rather they bring in someone than to have Harrison hook up with Quinn or Abby or Liv.

• DiOne says:

I’m so loving the Harrison angle, always said he would be the one to betray Liv. Not because he wants to hurt her…just because he will go too far one day to save her. Harrison’s motive is simple…he’s always running second to Huck and leaking Liv’s name to the press is a great opportunity to save liv, finally add value other than being a good gab and get the approval he desperately craves from her. She did after all give him everything he would need should things go wrong. I mean Harrison is loyal to a fault and that kind of loyalty stems only from indebtedness or obsession. His story is so weak, his loyalty seems unjustified when you consider the other associates. I can hardly wait!

11. GTS says:

I’m OK with pretty much all of the options, I just don’t want to see Olivia convince everyone she is not the President’s mistress. I’ve been waiting for this for forever.

12. Froggy says:

totally Fitz doing the blabbing…He told someone to do it. Did you see his little smirk on his face when he had his head in Mellie’s lap? the prez is up to something!

• Ladysmooth says:

I think you hit upon something here. That smirk on Fitz’s face definitely makes you think that finally he has a plan. Meet the new “fixer”

• chiocia says:

I didn’t see any smirk, I thought he looked pathetic. But I’m loving this site, all these scenerios i never thought of. Frankly, I don’t care which way it goes, I just can’t wait! :)

• Danah says:

I agree that Flitz is up to something…he indeed had that smirk on his face.

13. Amy says:

David totally outed Olivia.

• stephanie kidd says:

i think it sally or gov reston these two want the oval office. it’s got to be someone that will gain something from this infor being leaked. mellie is to obvious because deep down she love fitz and that ‘s why she would not tell the fixer who fitz was having an affair with; that was her ace in the hole and the one thing that she knew would bring fitz back if she outed liv her chances with fitz were really over. fitz was my first thought maybe trying to get liv back but then I thought they love each other and that would not endear fitz to liv and now that her father in the picture this changes a lot will liv defend her relationship with fitz to her father and will she fight for it. what is fitz going to do in this crisis moment because when ever a storm starts brewing fitz turns to liv to put a spin on it but this time the love of his life is in the eye of the storm. which one of his superpowers is he going to use to help them both survive this storm and win his re-election bid and bring liv to the white house as his first lady like he said as the very last statement to her in season two finale.

• Cheyenne says:

She gets mobbed by the press and Rowan just happens to be there in a stretch limo all ready to rescue her? Three guesses who blabbed and the first two don’t count.

14. shanaaz says:

i just love the show and anything can go as long as it stays awsome i am happy so pull out all the stops and bring back hawks family would be nice to see

15. Jake Fan says:

this is what i want to see happen…
    I think Olitz agreed to wait it out. She had agreed to it before he took the offer back. When she thought she had to wait more (in kitchen), she was resigned to it. I think they went back to that plan. That is why she was happy. She gets to keep gladiating with her peeps until Fitz is done with 2nd term. Yes, she was willing to wait b/c she was hopelessly in love. But not so fast. . . stuff will happen to change the ride as it always has in the Olitz drama.
    —-
    Olivia thought dad was dead, maybe she saw her mom killed as a kid forcing Rowan to sever ties with her, leaving her “all alone” to protect her. rowan since, has always lurked in the shadows of olivia’s life. puppet master, perhaps. . . some higher power, above rowan leaked it as a way of keeping olitz apart. b/c after outed, how can you be together? rowan and gladiators will work together to change narrative. they will deny deny deny. the lie will be president and olivia pope AND first lady are long time friends, NOTHING more.

this is where Jake comes back to help change the narrative. it is his get out of the hole card. He will be beaten, but not broken. Olivia will be sympathetic to him b/c he did save her. He will be beholden to Rowan to finish his mission. His orders will be to play house/pretend with Liv. It will make for lots of tension. Jake will be her love interest, deflecting heat from press/public. Pics will surface of their dates and maybe the tape of her and Jake will be involved. Press will move on to find “real” mistress. Maybe it will come out that Jake and Prez served together. Double Date time? Why not? It’s Shonda Land. Meanwhile Fitz will be livid and jealous. We all saw how jealous he was of Edison. Not sure if anyone else will know Rowan is dad until later. Olitz will use a very reluctant Cyrus to communicate b/c what else can they do w/o raising suspicions. A couple of episodes of playing house and regular scandalized clients to help that parallel Olivia/Jake/Fitz/Mellie/Cyrus’s lives and then BAM. Fitz will have Jake sent on some mission and he’ll be MIA. Not something I would put past Fitz given he murdered Verna. Olivia will be pissed off when she finds out. More tension. Let’s face, it if Olivia and Fitz were together, show would be over.

Jake will be missing, but then Liv will ask Huck to find him or be forced to go to her father for a favor. Jake will return, they will do more than pretend for press. It will see over for Olitz until something else happens. Not sure what . . .

I would also like to see it turn out that Jake and Fitz are half brothers making the show go to that level b/c we all know Big Jerry was a philanderer. I wonder if they are already thinking that b/c of jakes line to liv, “he gets to have a lot of things i want first” or something like that. Maybe Jake knows? Maybe that is why he was recruited and got to be in Joint Chiefs. . .

Just trying to get inside heads of those writers and that’s the best I could do.

• Nat says:

Your scenario seems fun & interesting – except for one thing: Jake is NOT a palpable love interest for Liv, in any way, shape or form…especially now. More importantly, since he now knows what Liv is to Fitz & vice versa, he would be an Idiot to even think about messing with Olivia, & Olivia would be unworthy of Fitz altogether, if she allowed herself to BE “messed with” by Jake. It would personally make me lose respect for her, after the whole epic “I will earn you” saga & the now-canon Rose Garden speech. When you throw in too many other love interests/baggage along the way while the audience waits for the “real couple” to become official, it really cheapens the relationship and it loses its potency.

I would rather just have Oliva go back to OPA and focus on being the best businesswoman she can be – helping to “fix” people’s lives – all the while working her “plan” in the background to be with her REAL man. Fitz has plenty to do running the country & keeping an eye on Cyrus’ questionable loyalty & on his sneaky, opportunistic wife.

• auntiepaulie says:

I hope Shonda is hearing you. Been begging her not to have Liv sleep around, especially with Jake.. It definitely cheapens Olitz, the Rose Garden speech and Earn me. How can you go back after those. Please Shonda, we’re on our knees. Please do not give her to anybody else. Strangely I never minded Edison, after all they were engaged, they had a history. (I wonder if he was the one who outed her, he does not look like the type who forgives easily, especially after that 5,4,3,2, 1 countdown). I never minded Edison. Jake spying, having sex on command and videotaping it still grosses me out. I can’t look at him. Liked him until I saw the best buy wall and him going after Fitz’s woman and he knew that was his brothers woman because Rowan sent him to break them up. Real creepy. He can be Mellie’s man.

• DJS says:

I appreciate your very creative ideas. If they keep Jake around I will be disgusted. I wish I had friends in the entertainment business that would hire Scott Foley on another project so he goes away for good. It was his JOB/mission to stalk and sleep with Olivia. GROSS he entrusted her under false pretenses, lied to and manipulated her b/c she was sad, lonely and missed FITZ the LOVE of her Life. Jake is sloppy 2nds. He should hook up with Mellie. He is B613 so if Huck gets no family then the same goes for Jake. Adultery or not a Navy Captain doesn’t hold a candle to the President.

Here is the deal: I wish SR would focus on scandalous political outrageous story lines other than the main characters all up in everyone’s business.

16. arial2 says:

I just don’t get all the people who seem to worship Mellie. She’s a horrible human being who only got pregnant to force Fitz to stay in their marriage. I really feel sorry for their little son. Mellie is beautiful and brilliant; why would she want to stay in an unhappy marriage, especially after Fitz outlined how she could eventually become the President herself if she gave him a divorce. Mellie is not a helpless little dumb girl whose only chance at success is through marriage. She needs to get her ego in check and move on to a better life than she’ll ever have with a man who doesn’t love her. But, for the show to work, I guess we’ll be stuck with these apparent false choices. As for Liv and Rowan: somehow, I never saw that “Hello, Dad” moment coming. I guess I now know where Olivia got her brains, but also her fragility. I can’t even imagine the psychological games her father must have played while she was growing up.

17. joy says:

One or two episodes about Rowan is fine but PLEASE not for the whole stupid ARC for season 3! Who cares that Fitz killed Verna? She hired someone to KILL him and she was about to croak anyway. Bringing back Billy Chambers was lame. I don’t care who Rowan is so i hope they don’t go all deep into the B315 secret ops crap. KEEP Jake in the hole FOREVER. Give Huck a break, give Harrison a backstory and get Mellie a Life of her own so she stops manipulating Fitz. Stop fighting amongst yourselves characters and give us good scandalous cases to think about. And for goodness sake KEEP OLITZ together. more baggage is going to ruin the amazing chemistry they have and could build on if SR got her head out of her (makes the story-lines overly complicated) ass.

18. azu says:

Mellie and Cyrus are manipulative human beings. Fits clearly sees that it’s only Olivia who wants him for himself and doesn’t want anything else but love. Mellie is all about what she can gain!! Olitz had better stay together. A back and forth thing between them will actually hurt the show

19. chiocia says:

Wow, I just love this site. So many scenerios I never thought of. I really like the one about Harrison, and it’s true, he needs a back story. Frankly, I don’t really care what happens because I know SR will make it all make sense. I just can’t wait for it TO happen. I don’t know how I’m gonna make it through the summer!! :)

20. samjjoy says:

I am learning so much here..am I wrong, has OP ever told Fitz that she loves him. If so, I missed it. Someone please respond, and if she did give me to season and ep #. Thanks.

21. Lin says:

Everyone is forgetting that Cyrus fixed things by telling OP about Verna, knowing OP wouldn’t want to be with a murderer.
    Everyone is forgetting that mellie not only doesn’t love Fitz she also doesn’t love her kids and just uses them as pawns to get to Fitz. She is an opportunist just looking for power & prestige i.e. her fixed marriage. She should be off the show, she’s useless.
    Everyone forgets OP & Fitz are the stars of the show and they aren’t going anywhere!
    Shonda will screw up this show like she screwed up Revenge. She wants the fame of making these shows popular then doesn’t know what to do with them! But that’s the mentality of ABC they should get rid of Shonda….duhhhh

22. Bianca MC says:

PLEASE IS THERE ANY TEAM JAKE THEY ARE PERFECT TOGETHER HE DOSENT TREAT HER LIKE CRAP LIKE FITZ DOES I HOPE THEY INCLUDE JAKE WHAT THE HELL IS SO WRONG WITH HIM LOVE HIM

• Valerie says:

Im teamjake all the way honey. I have been on youtube and abc message board when it was up fighting hard for this couple. I will continue to support them no matter what the haters say. Fitz is not all that and certainly not a reason to stop watching if him and olivia don’t end up together. I think somehow people views are going to change in S3 about jake and if it don’t who cares I love this show and I love olake. Come on jake get out of the hole and back in bed with Olivia make the haters squirm like no other LOL.

• Reesie says:

I’m not so much teamJake even though he’s single (or so it seems) there’s not much sparkle between him and OP. Now on the otherhand (and I know he;s married) I love, love, love the chemistry between OP and Fitz. They could burn each other up with just a look. We also know if they get together like they want to the show would be over. Fitz has to go back to Mellie in order to win a 2nd term, and go on since OP told him that she couldn’t give up on her gladiators so he has to go back and beg for forgiveness and not divorce Mellie but he and OP, I hope will still have their closet scenes and other magivcal stolen moments.