Lifetime's Diva Drops Josh Stamberg — But What Will Happen With Parker and Kim's Kid?

Get More: Casting News

Drop Dead Diva Josh Stamberg LeavingThe diva has lost her boss.

Drop Dead Diva regular Josh Stamberg, who plays law-firm partner Jay Parker, won’t be returning to the Lifetime series, The Wrap reports.

VIDEO | Drop Dead Diva Season 5 Spoilers — New Guardian Angel

The actor’s exit is the result of budget cuts that came with the surprise fifth season renewal; other belt-tightening measures include reducing production to seven days per episode and doing less on-location filming.

However, creator Josh Berman tells the site, “Viewers will never notice the change in our budget, and the show has never looked better.”

Despite Parker’s absence, his co-worker and former girlfriend Kim Kaswell will be carrying his child in the new season, debuting June 23 at 9/8c.

Comments (67)

• Weird. Kind of a big budget cut here

Comment by ggny – June 5, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I started watching this show on Netflix an enjoyed the writing and the characters and now they have written in this guardian dick.
      Will not watch any further, did they get rid of the writers as well?

Comment by Ed – April 4, 2014 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.I.P. me; I’m dead.

Comment by Taelor GitMunny Rye – June 5, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww really!? :( Josh was very charming, loved him!

Comment by Cherry – June 5, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved his character. Seriously almost considering not watching. The interactions between all of the characters seems crucial to the show’s success. Also, what’s with changing angels every season??

Comment by Roberta – July 20, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree 100%. The changing angels thing is just one more annoying aspect. Parker’s character was way more charismatic then the Grayson character IMO. This show has/had potential that will likely never be realized.

Comment by DjaksMom – August 8, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I wish the angels were a little more purposeful. They seem rather … superfluous, like children Jane is having to educate, not the other way around.

Comment by bw – October 15, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so disappointing! Parker was one of the main reasons I watched!

Comment by Ann – June 5, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am sitting here thinking “Didn’t he get Kim pregnant” certainly I hope they don’t start a story line than not finish it viewers are going to be so lost.When shows make too many changes it loses viewers.Take for instance CSI:MIAMI the writers started a romance with Callie and Eric they did not build on it and BAM it’s gone.I hope this doesn’t happen to this show I love it so much.

Comment by Nina Sterling – June 6, 2013 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It plainly says that Kim will be carrying Parker’s baby…

Comment by GS – June 6, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Considering that Kate (Kim) is really pregnant (in real life) they have to continue that story line. As for losing viewers because story lines aren’t finished – you obviously wasn’t around when Lifetime cancelled DDD :D It was the fans that had them UNcancel the show. Will Stamberg (Parker) be missed, OF COURSE, but the show is afterall about Jane and Deb. :D We’ll have to wait and see what happens :D

Comment by Su – June 15, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Count me out. Bye bye Diva.

Comment by LoRo1 – June 5, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But. But. Kim and Parker are so cute.

Comment by Babybop – June 5, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooooooo!!!!!!!

Comment by Summer – June 5, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bleh I enjoyed watching Parker.

Comment by Tee – June 5, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It makes no sense. He was a big part of the show & now, with Kim being pregnant, they drop the character?? And we viewers aren’t going to notice? How about dropping the new angel instead? And bring back Fred, even if only on a limited basis!!!

Comment by Chloe – June 5, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re right! I loved Fred! And why get rid of one of the main characters????

Comment by Elena – June 6, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I sooooo agree with you! Parker is one of my favorite characters on the show. I am so upset that they would have him leave Kim while she’s pregnant. So disappointed but I will give the show a chance because I am a “Diva” fan.

Comment by Ang – June 21, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad move. We fans have been treated poorly from the day they dropped DDD without warning, to bringing it back with cuts saying we won’t notice, and not leaving Parker out whose storyline just got started. Not sure if I’m watching either.

Comment by Alisa – June 5, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch a show, but everytime I see this happen I wonder “what’s the point?”, it comes down to I rather have the show I fell in love with not come back then some weird crazy version of it. Kind of like how I’m glad that the FBI Veronica Mars never happened.

Comment by Midori – June 5, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It doesn’t matter anymore. This show has jumped the shark a long time ago.

Comment by tvmama – June 5, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So….we *will* notice the budget cuts. I really liked Parker, but I suppose if forced to make a cut…… Glad they’re keeping Kim, Stacey, and Terri though (for now)
    Parker will be missed.

Comment by mia – June 5, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would’ve preferred they got rid of Terri, honestly. I will definitely miss Parker. I hate to think of myself as a “shipper” but I was rooting for him and Kim!

Comment by the girl – June 6, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have gotten rid of Stacey. Her part has run course. I’m out.

Comment by Christina – June 5, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. As much as I like Stacey, her storylines have nothing to do with the rest of what’s going on in the show, especially since Fred’s left. Bump her to recurring/occasional special-guest-star appearances, get rid of the new guardian angel, and keep Parker!

Comment by Ashley – June 6, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think I’m interested in watching this any longer. At first, I was excited that the show was coming back after a dismal fourth season (no more Kardashians PLEASE, and really — Pake?!?! That’s the best storyline you could come up with for Stacey?). But, the previews are mysteriously missing Owen and now there’s no Parker. And bwhen did DDD ever do an “on location” shoot in the first place? It always looked like staged sets to me. This is really disappointing news.

Comment by Amy – June 5, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that Stacey could be a recurring role or special guest from time to time. She had nothing to do with what was really going on with the storyline. They should really bring back Jay.

Comment by Gina – June 16, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No way would Parker abandon Kim when she is pregnant with his kid. After the stink he made last season with Brandy? I liked Parker and I’m surprised we’re first learning this so close to the premiere date.

Comment by Steven – June 5, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I 100% agree. It makes no sense! Hopefully they’ll find a way to make it work. For instance if they act like he’s around, but no one ever actually sees him. It would suck, but it wouldn’t completely trash his character.

Comment by Hannah – June 6, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are SO right. This was SUCH a bad call.

Comment by the girl – June 6, 2013 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Parker is an AMAZING part of the team – heck, Jane SAVED HIS LIFE! Stop wasting money on stupid guest stars and actually tell the stories about the people we care about! Or make Owen Jane’s new angel so we get the best of both worlds and KEEP PARKER!

Comment by wth?! – June 5, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a shame, I really liked him

Comment by Bella – June 6, 2013 03:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOO!!!! :((((

Comment by albtrex – June 6, 2013 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Between this, and last season’s terrible ending (I’m a big Owen/Jane fan, and did not like realJane going into Owen’s body), I really wish they had just left it cancelled. I will not be returning.

Comment by Brittany – June 6, 2013 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang, Josh Berman insisted us DDD fans last year to trust him with the whole KK thing and now he’s telling us we’re not going to notice the changes?!? Dude I understand you want a job & your show on the air but come on -no Parker, another new angel and seemingly no Owen…

Comment by TJ – June 6, 2013 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is terrible. They really should not have done that.

Comment by Maria – June 6, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DDD is my favorite summer show and it just won’t be the same without Parker. Add me to the camp that is tired of the revolving door of angels. That guy last year was just insufferable. Fred was the BEST! If they didn’t waste all that money on guest stars (DO NOT bring Kardashian back….EVER!!!), they might be able to meet the budget for the real cast. I wasn’t too keen on the real Jane in Owen’s body either but I did like the real Owen. Although if it’s going to be the last season, I want Jane with Grayson so I won’t really miss Owen. I hope they realize they won’t get another season with all the fans jumping ship with the changes and really wrap it up unlike The Secret Life that totally sucked and made me regret (more than I already did) wasting my time on the stupid show!

Comment by GS – June 6, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Parker better than Kim. Can we keep him and get rid of her and the baby?

Comment by Spikenalabama – June 6, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While the show/I will sorely miss Josh (aka Parker) the show doesn’t really revolve around him…he is a secondary player as many others are. I do wish they’d have sent Kim off someplace to have her baby and kept Parker – but as viewers we should just be glad DDD got a second chance and be happy that is was brought back from the graveyard. :)

Comment by Belle – June 6, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t see why we need another season. If they did a movie, they would cut budgets and time, be able to keep the key characters, like Parker and give the show an ending no one would forget. They hardly listen to the fans on matters such as this, and personally, that’s the first mistake. I would have bought a dvd copy of the movie, but I will not be returning for this season.

Comment by courtney – June 14, 2013 12:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been watching Drop Dead Diva since the first episode. It’s never let me down. This show is fantastic. I’ve also learned to trust its creator. If Berman says that it’ll be the best season yet, then I believe him.
    Like any other business, the bargaining table talks always ends up with losses and wins. We’ll just have to wait and see the wins. I’m just grateful that the show is back and we weren’t left literally ‘hanging’ after the way season 4 ended.
    I am eager to see what Berman and the writers have in store for us. Come June 23, I’ll be tuning in to my favorite show. See ya there

Comment by Su – June 15, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I’m just glad the show came back. Never understood why it was ever considered for dropping in the first place. Surely they could have kept Parker.

Comment by LAHs – June 17, 2013 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BRING BACK PARKER!!!! That’s so lame!!!! Gonna have to reconsider tuning in thus season.

Comment by Me – June 23, 2013 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awe. That sucks. I wonder if they were wanting to eliminate someone or if he was asking for way too much money to come back. Or maybe since the budget was tighter due to the cancellation, they were offering less than before and he didn’t want to take it? Anyway… I wish Fred was brought back!

Comment by Willem – June 24, 2013 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree, Stacy is the one sour note for me in this show. Her storylines are weird and do not fit. Time to let her move away or something.

Comment by Leave Comments – June 24, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show, it is one of my faves. I don’t care if Parker is gone we barely seen him anyway, I like the story line and I can’t wait until next week! I am happy that they did not let owen die that would have been sad. I think there is hope for Jane and Owen yet. I don’t know but I can’t wait to find out.

Comment by Jen – June 30, 2013 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sorry. I disagree about Owen. I think adding him to the show was the start of the downward spiral in viewers. Owen should have been let go, he is a non-entity that just takes up space.

Comment by Christie – July 1, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is ridiculous that they dumped him. Parker was an integral part of the show. Especially with Kim pregnant. I bet they could have cut costs in other ways.

Comment by Christie – July 1, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Parker leave he was like a seesaw each week with cases as well as women it’s just like the first woman he left and Kim was a dummy for sleeping with him and not protect herself after knowing he slept with his son’s mother. Owen should be next he left Jane and came back like he went to the store plus for him to be a judge he act like a spoiled kid. Love Stacy she is a great best friend

Comment by BigDeb – July 2, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is a big disappointment that they get rid of “Parker” the way they just want it to. Here in the beautiful island of Puerto Rico there is a huge number of fans paying cable TV to see this terrific show. It is a shame that when it is turning really interesting, they just dumped him. To the writer(s): Please take in consideration the opinion of the public. This is a good show and is worthy because it’s different and it goes directly to the heart of the audience keeping them looking for more… waiting desperately until the next episode to see what’s next. I rely on the writers… I won’t give up on this show until they give me a big reason to quit seeing it. Thanks for the opportunity to share my thoughts!

Comment by Eli Puerto Rico – July 6, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think its a real shame the way that they explained Parker’s absence from the show. It was out of character for him to leave Kim that way. To just leave his practice and pregnant girlfriend? I have no doubt that Parker would want to do right by his son, but the writera really blew it here. Also, changing the Angel yet again…seriously?

Comment by Blanca Alamillo – July 7, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the law firm is called Harrison and PARKER! how can you take him out! and hes going to be a dad , again…they should have kept him and booted the judge or the new guardian angel or something

Comment by jes – July 8, 2013 12:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i mean i think it will make him look like hes leaving Kim to raise their baby by herself, when in fact he was stepping up and taking responsibility

Comment by jes – July 8, 2013 12:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should let the new party angel go. Hes not angelic and a very big boring nusiance. Bring Fred back.

Comment by mac – July 9, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need Parker back!!!.. even though he was not a main character he was an important one! Plus it trashes out his role…abandon Kim for brandy??? I’d have rather him being in an accident and off for some rehab recuperating than abandoning kim..bad call..I use to love ddd..couldn’t wait for summer for I do agree getting rid of parker is a major negative as well as the constant angel changes..the only one that made sense and was actually good actor was Fred ..and the new angel what’s the point of him anyways??? At this pace don’t think us fan will be rooting for another season..sorry jane and grayson :( I do love u!!!

Comment by AB – July 13, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring parker back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Gisell S. Zamora (@DivineGisell) – July 30, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please bring Parker back!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Bobbie – August 11, 2013 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cut someone else out, he started when the show did he should still be on the show!!!!!!!

Comment by Bobbie – August 11, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was anxiously waiting to see Kim and Parker’s relationship develop. This is screwy. Why would Parker walk out on Kim when she’s pregnant? Why not get rid of Owen? If there are budget cuts, why is there a new person on the show, the pretty African American actor? I hope Jane and Grayson gets together. We’ve been led to believe that Grayson loves Jane. Now Jane finally realizes she loves him and he’s after someone else. Goodness. Parker’s ex girlfriend returns & he leaves pregnant Kiim for her. Now Grayson is smooching another chick so soon after confused Jane turns him down. These men are weak in character.

Comment by NFLlady – August 12, 2013 01:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the cut will be noticed! I love Parker in that show! can’t he just drop in now and then?

Comment by Susan – August 18, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy the show is back. I deleted the record request from my DVR when I read the show was cancelled, and then I was bummed when I read it had been running in season 5. Luckily, I finally found a site where I could catch up on the episodes I missed, just in time to watch Oct. 6th episode. I just Googled why Josh Stamberg is no longer on the show, and IMHO, I’m glad he’s not coming back. Frankly, I think he was a jerk (not Josh, but his character, Jay). I totally think (Kim) deserves better. :)

Comment by cassy – October 6, 2013 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you can definitely notice the budget cuts in season 5. used to be my favorite show, but now I can’t stand it

Comment by m.d. – November 7, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They need to bring back Jay Parker, hands down, and cut the “original jane” character, and stop making Stacey make so insanely stupid decisions and being extremely dramatic, like suddenly going on needlessly urgent search for sperm donors to have a baby, sacrificing her relationship with Jane just to briefly hook up with Owen, then for no reason at all making a big deal and breaking up with Owen. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Owen’s character used to be so in love with Jane, for him to suddenly pick up Stacey and act all natural make it seem unbelievable and audience lose respect of him. You can tell the actor playing Owen (a very good actor) even has a hard time trying to make it seem justifiable! Any self-respecting actor will feel the writing is crap. What a waste of a good cast!

If they are doing a sixth season and want to retain followers and attract new viewers, they NEED to do the following:

1) Their most urgent need right now is to bring Parker back and keep Kim around! These two are immensely appealing and drawing actors and characters. They bring depth and charisma to the show.
      2) Secondly, make Stacey herself not a crazy friend betraying, sperm-crazy, lunatic mom!
      3) last but not least, bring Jane and Grayson together already. It’s painful and annoying to watch another episode where the show tries desperately to drag on the suspicion with irrational plots of surprises coming up last minute or interruptions during their confessions. It’s not interesting anymore nor suspence. Just plain disturbance and people are losing interest fast. They need to move the show onto new grounds and stop spoiling a fresh idea by lazily adopting old tricks to fool the audience. These writers and producers need to get real and make a honest living, or most viewers will not return.

If they follow these suggstions, I think they will find the show more successful. If they don’t heed advice from the very people the show’s trying to draw, they aren’t very smart.

Comment by Tee – December 6, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a shame, I really loved his carater’s!

Comment by Sherlyne Augustin – January 22, 2014 03:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! This blog looks just like my old one! It’s on a totally different
    topic but it has pretty much the same layout
    and design. Great choice of colors!

Comment by novoline kostenlos spielen lord of ocean – January 22, 2014 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should’ve gotten rid of the guardian angels.

Comment by greygrey911 – April 20, 2014 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post