The Voice Top 6 Results Recap: Did the Right Contestant Go Home This Week?

The Voice - Season 4 TOP 6 RESULTSBlake Shelton kicked off The Voice‘s Season 4 Top 6 results night with a declaration that wasn’t entirely believable: “I cannot wait to see who the Final 5 are gonna be!” Yeah, okay, maybe that was part of the story, but the only coach not to lose a single contestant in almost a month had legitimate reasons to be nervous, too.

“People rely on iTunes,” Blake added — or rather, where each contestant lands Tuesday morning on the music-download service’s Hot 200 singles chart — to gauge who’s most likely to be evicted from the show each week. And with a pair of Blake’s acts — The Swon Brothers and Holly Tucker — faring the worst in digital sales, it looked as though the country judge might be raising his “special Starbucks cup” in sorrow, rather than celebration, this time around.

RELATED | The Voice Top 6 Performance Recap: For God and Country, Country, Country!

Before we learned the fate of the contestants, though, we had an hour’s worth of musical performances — three contestant duets and the debut of Season 3 champ Cassadee Pope’s new single — to ratchet up the suspense. (Plus, a heart-wrenching trip for Teams Blake and Usher to participate in Blake’s Oklahoma fundraiser.) Let’s break down the action:

* Cassadee Pope: “Wasting All These Tears” | The Season 3 champ returned in a sparkly silver minidress to deliver her new single that, to my ears, is more pop-rock than country, but nevertheless moderately catchy. I liked how the swaths of fabric hanging overhead dramatically fell to the stage on the final chorus, and Blake singing along from his swivel chair was a nice touch, too. On the flip side, Carson’s post-performance hug went on about two beats too long, and now I feel like a heel for pointing it out. Grade: B+

* Michelle Chamuel & Sasha Allen: Madonna’s “Open Your Heart” | The ladies were in pretty solid voice for this one, but the “choreography” was more rigid than a strict nun teaching a classroom of spastic second graders. Why not let the ladies get loose instead of forcing them to march up and down the mid-audience peninsulas? Alas, said staging sapped some of the energy from what should’ve been a real winner. Grade: B

* Holly Tucker & The Swon Brothers: The Wreckers’ “Leave the Pieces” | I really loved the song choice, but putting the emphasis on Colton’s tinny voice over Zach’s more muscular growl was a bit of a head-scratcher — especially since his chemistry with Holly was muted at best. Not a bad effort, though, and a good fit stylistically for both acts. Grade: B

* Amber Carrington & Danielle Bradbery: The Bangles’ “Eternal Flame” | Oh I do love a good, late-80s power ballad, and despite the Sway-Bots’ best efforts to ruin everything (which is their natural instinct), I dug this duet most of all. To my ears, though, Amber dominated the matchup, her voice proving richer, more evocative and more on pitch than her more hyped rival. I just wonder if the voting public felt the same, and if next week’s iTunes tallies might reflect that. Grade: A-

Anyhoo…I could talk about the non-starter questions Carson asked the nervous contestants while they awaited their fates, but the answers were almost comically dull. (At one point, Danielle actually uttered, “I’m here now.” Yes girl, you are!) So let’s cut right to results!

Sent to Safety (in chronological order)
Michelle Chamuel
Sasha Allen
Danielle Bradbery
Amber Carrington

RELATED | The Voice‘s Garrett Gardner on Mining His John Lennon Connection and Rocking Backstreet!

Final Two in Jeopardy
Holly Tucker
The Swon Brothers

Eliminated
Holly Tucker

Poor Holly, reduced to tears without so much as 30 seconds of airtime to say “adieu!” to her fans. Blake, though, gave her props by insisting that she and the Swon Brothers had “worked their asses off” to get as far as they had. Nevertheless, I wish Coach Blake had challenged the Baylor University student to try something outside her predictable country-Gospel wheelhouse, because even if it had failed, it would’ve stretched the boundaries of her artistry (and been a lot more thrilling to watch). That said, unless Holly’s ouster makes like a Doors lyric and lights Blake’s fire to break from the safest contestant trajectories this show has ever seen, I suspect next week we’re in for more Pam Tillis or Rascal Flatts, no?

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of Season 4 Top 6 results night? Did the right contestant get the boot? Wasn’t it kind of sad to see just one person picked off this time around? Sound off in the comments, and for all my reality-related news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. VCI says:

I’m not sure it’s the stupidest or best decision to have paired Danielle and Amber on that duet. Danielle hit the notes but again just had blank stares and with her grinny smile throughout the whole thing. While Amber from her first line show more emotional depth and vocal power than Danielle did the entire song.

I know this won’t probably sway any of Danielle’s fan because it’s the blank stare big smile that been getting her through thus far, but having them sing side by side makes you realize who the clear vocal artist is. AMBER BY FAR.

Once Danielle learns that pretty doesn’t work for every song, she’ll will become a great singer rather than someone with a great voice.

But this was definitely my favorite duet of the night, mainly because of Amber’s performance though.

2. Ruth says:

As you predicated, Michael. Glad I stopped watching after Judith’s ouster. But I’ll check in for recaps. Just got 3 more hours back in my life!

3. suem says:

I find it fascinating how people remark about how much expression someone has – do you buy music based on someone’s facial expression? Interesting. I buy based on how the song *sounds* – which is why I am such a Danielle fan. She has a rich, warm voice and she hits the notes. This is also one reason I don’t like Sasha. She has a marvelous voice, but she oversings everything – and you can hear it in what she produces. She puts in too many trills, runs, whatever. I find myself wondering what the tune for the song actually is sometimes during her songs. Plus she just gets too loud for me at times. I am not quite sure why I like Michelle as much as I do because she doesn’t always carry the song when she sings quietly – sometimes she whispers and loses the ends of words. BUT – I really, really like her. There is something so vulnerable about her singing that catches my heart. And she can really bring it when she wants to – that, to me, is how to deliver a song. (Take note, Sasha) I started out thinking Amber and Holly were fairly equal, but now I believe Amber has more power, control, whatever. I do, however, think Holly had an unfair disadvantage having to start the show so many times. I love the Swon Brothers. I don’t care that people see them as ‘just country’ because I love country music. They are fun and they *have* improved greatly over the course of the show – their harmonies are great. I would buy music from them or Danielle any day. I will probably also buy Michelle’s music. I don’t know about Amber or Holly as I don’t really like female singers as a rule and I know I won’t buy anything Sasha puts out there. My disappointment this week is that Sasha is still there – but I think people are voting not just for her, but also for Shakira so she has someone still in the running. I really Shakira, also, but it is time for Sasha to go. I expect the final 3 to be Danielle, Michelle, and Amber and at this point I am not sure which ‘elle’ will win. I would love for it to be Danielle, though, since I would like to see someone new to singing professionally take it. BTW, if you Google Blake on youtube you can find a video of The Boys Round Here with Gwen Sebastian singing back-up, so he does keep tabs on his contestants. How do you think Cassadee got to open for Rascal Flatts, etc.?

• Catfish says:

Agree with a lot of your observations — Sasha has a power voice and singing style similar to a number of primarily R&B artists – that focus on runs, sweeps and what some of us call over-singing — but others are excited by. ………….. Jermaine Paul and Javier Colon and sometimes Candice Glover did the same thing, they did not just sing smoothly like Amber or Danielle, and hit a high note once or twice per song………………. . I am more impressed with Amber, in terms of “listening music” each show…………doubt she would win, but I think the talent will be the best they have had when they do the finale this year.

• TheTruth says:

I’m like you. I don’t like the over kill on vocals. Just like you, I’m a Danielle fan for the same reasons. I enjoy listening to Danielle singing. That’s why I do not care for Sasha or Judith. Both are talented. But their vocal styles I’m not a fan of.

• Mackdazzle says:

I agree with you on Danielle to the point that she would be great to listen to on a CD/Radio. But I think where some people differ – like myself – you also get excited to watch people you love to listen to perform live or on shows, and she doesn’t have enough going on in the personality department/stage presence to get me to tune into, or buy a ticket to one of her shows. I love seeing someone come alive with their music, whether it’s their own or performing a cover. You want to feel like someone is invested in what they are singing, and I feel like that comes through in songs, even when you’re only listening. Life experience will probably make her better in this department. She’s just too young and unexposed to life. Just my two cents.

• HTGR says:

No I was voting for Sasha not for Shakira. I like Shakira, but I liked Sasha during her audition before she was even on any team.

4. thedeviledadvocate says:

Blake should have Danielle sing one or more of the following
    Shania Twain’s Don’t Be Stupid or No One Needs To Know
    Leann Rimes Can’t Fight The Moonlight
    Vitamin C Smile
    Marie Osmond Paper Roses
    Donna Fargo Happiest Girl In The Whole USA
    Lee Ann Womack I Hope You Dance
    Alison Kraus When You Say Nothing At All
    Or for the heck of it
    Kellie Pickler’s Red High Heels

• TheTruth says:

Blake should have Danielle sing one or more of the following:
      Hannah Montana/ Miley Cyrus – The Best of Both Worlds
      Miley Cyrus – When I Look At You
      Faith Hill – This Kiss
      Martina McBride – Wild Angels
      LeAnn Rimes – Spitfire
      Or for the heck of it
      Mylie Cyrus – Party in The USA

5. TheTruth says:

My question to all of you folks here. Will there be another Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood type Superstar on any of the current singing show? So far X-Factor and The Voice have failed to produce even anyone worth noting. Look at all the previous winners of the Voice and X-Factor. Javier Colon, Jermaine Paul, Melanie Amaro, Tate Stevens self-titled first album (released on April 23, 2013) is a sales flop. Cassadee Pope is too early to tell. I don’t think Cassadee Pope will be up there with Carrie Underwood. I don’t see any break out super star from this group. Maybe Danielle? Yes, she has work to do from the emotional connection stand point. If people are buying the ho hum songs she sings, the skys the limit for this young girl. I can see Danielle going the Leann Rimes route. Hopefully, not the current train wreck that Leann has been lately.

• Catfish says:

Mega-stardom like Kelly, Carrie, Blake, Christina, Martina, Willie, etc., is unlikely for anyone coming through today’s vocal talent shows — ……..but Melanie Amero has her 5 million, and doesn’t really care. She did have a song that went top 20 on the dance charts a while back – but she doesn’t seem to want to tour or do the celebrity lifestyle. ……………….

Tate is just a fair country singer, nowhere near a hot young rising star. That’s what the X-Factor does, is make the winner rich, but Tate is under more requirements for the money than Melanie was. Check her Net Worth on some of the Celebrity sites.

• TheTruth says:

I thought the same. The $5 million X-factor prize sets you up for life, if you don’t want the celeb life style. For Melanie Amaro, she’s a little famous and just enjoys life with her winnings. Tate Stevens does not have the it factor. He’s not young, fresh, and just like you said, a fair singer. But he’s set for life too with the 5 million. Mega stardom is more likely if you are discovered on youtube. Like Justin Bieber and Psy.

6. Steve says:

I dont like how The Voice does its final elimination with a countdown clock toward commerical and the person getting eliminated while the credits roll. It seems pretty disrespectful to the contestants. Also Im assuming the declaring to safety (And we’re a very positive show so no one gets eliminated but AMERICA SAVES) are in ‘no particular’ order even though they dont say that. Are the last 2 standing the bottom 2 vote getters or not? It seems the teen country girl is on her way to winning (Im over all the country music on this show) but it seems at least some of the talent is better than than Idols)…Are we getting a top 4 final again or preferably a top 3. I do like how they ditched the finals being about 1 contestant on each team and the coaches having so much power on eliminations. This works much better. I think this years champ could break out. I know Blake is gonna make sure Danielle gets a deal regardless.

• Zod says:

Carson used to say the save results are in no particular order but stopped. But they aren’t in any particular order. I think Judith was named first one week.

As for the last second elimination with no time to think about it before they move onto the next show, I hear that’s a mandate from NBC to draw out the suspense, even though it kind of sucks that the contestants going home don’t get a couple minutes of airtime when they’re hugging everyone.

7. LongDuck says:

HEY BLAKE! Have your Swon Brothers do Florida Georgia Line – Cruise. This will put the Swons on the map and the next round! Yippee ki yay!!

8. JZ says:

I hope Shakira and Sasha Fierce 2 perform “Beatiful Liar” on the show

9. Nick C says:

Danielle really annoys me. Yes, she has a good voice, and hits all the notes, but she’s a bobble head. I’m a really big Cassadee Pope fan and love her single, but I’ll admit she wasn’t the best voice of season three. The reason she won, though, was because she could connect to a song and tell the audience a story. When Amber and Danielle performed, I realized how boring and fake Danielle looked, while Amber was not only performing better, but really connecting to the song like Cass did. She’s a much better singer, but I guess teenage girls who vote like crazy favor Danielle (I’m sure not only teenage girls vote for her, but they’re probably the majority). I like Michelle a lot, and Sasha is such a great singer, but I don’t see them going anywhere. Can’t really imagine Sasha being on the radio, maybe Michelle but probably not. Really don’t like the Swon Brothers, sorry, they’re going home next.