Monday Cable Ratings: Teen Wolf Returns to All-Time Highs, Secret Life... Ends

Ratings Teen Wolf Season 3 premiereThere’s claws for celebration over at MTV, where Teen Wolf opened Season 3 on Monday night with its largest audience ever — 2.4 million total viewers — and its highest rating to date in the target 12-34 demo (hitting a 2.3, up 15 percent from Season 2′s premiere).

Additionally, the series scored a personal best 4.1 rating among teens, qualifying as all of Monday’s top telecast in that measure.

RELATED | Ratings: Revolution Ticks Up With Finale, Anger Management‘s Happy Fox Debut, Red Wedding Livens Up Game of Thrones

Elsewhere on the night, ABC Family’s The Secret Life of The American Teenager came to a close before 1.5 million total viewers, the drama’s largest audience in nearly seven months. SLOAT also hit 14-month highs in the target demos of Women 18-34 (drawing 581K) and Women 18-49 (830K).

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Being Cancelled?

Leading out of that, The Fosters‘ series debut retained 1.42 million total viewers, 376K in W18-34 and 611K in W18-49.

RELATED | Will You Be Adopting ABC Family’s The Fosters? Grade the Premiere

1. Alana says:

Secret Life finale was terrible!!!! They didn’t care enough about the show to give us a proper ending. Too many flashbacks and not enough of tying up loose ends. I feel cheated and very disappointed. :(

• Amanda says:

I wasn’t a regular viewer but I tuned in…and I totally agree. It was an awful, disjointed finale.

• ann says:

agree…it sucked

• Emelie says:

I completely agree. I feel like the audiance was left hanging. The series should have ended better.

• didi says:

I agree. The last scene with Amy and Ricky had no lead up..we leave them hugging and walking our of school and the next scene they were standing in the living room crying. We didn’t even get to hear Amy say she was leaving, only Ricky’s reaction. I even rewound twice because I thought I missed a scene after skipping all the flash back scenes. We didn’t need flashback scenes! I knew she’d leave Ricky and John though.

• brycealexander says:

I tuned in because I had watched the first season or two. Seemed pretty on par with everything else I’ve seen from the series before.

• bobbie says:

I can fill in the blanks for you- Amy goes back and forth and back and forth between Ricky and Ben, and back and forth, etc. until Ricky gets frustrated and kills her. Ben uses up his father’s fortune on Ricky’s defense and appeals.
      All the other women decide they are lesbians and form a summer camp.

• jericho says:

Lol, would have been a hell of a lot better than what we got.

This show wasn’t The Sopranos, but we got a worse ending than that. Maybe we didn’t care about everybody on the show, but holy hell… did anyone actually get an ending they deserved? It was clear you weren’t going to see endings for the two “cousin eddie” characters that were added halfway through the run, but what happened to decent endings for everyone else? The only person who got a decent ending was George and he was the one who least deserved it.

• Melanie says:

Agree. Horrible horrible finale.

• TV Gord says:

Here in Canada, The Secret Life went from the basic cable Much channel to the higher-tier ABC Spark (our version of ABC Family) a year and a half ago, so I didn’t see the last two seasons of the series. However, last week, ABC Spark was added to the basic cable lineup, so I was able to see the finale on Monday. The funny thing is…I feel as though I hadn’t missed an episode. All of the characters were so over-laden with backstory in their dialogue (or monologues) that they caught me right up. That’s what was always so delightfully bad in a campy way about this show. I never watched it because I liked it. I watched it because it was so bad, it was good. It’s like driving past an accident. You don’t want to look, but you just can’t help yourself.

• AT says:

I agree. It was awful. While I hated Amy’s decision to leave Ricky and John, the writing itself was just horrible. Too many flashbacks. And, surprise surprise, the only new developments were a few couples actually making the decisions they’ve been whining about making for several episodes.

• Kristen says:

Wait… Amy LEFT Ricky and John!? Okay, so I stopped watching the show awhile ago, due to not having cable or access to watch the episodes online. I tried to read up where I could, but I am completely shocked at this ending. Why did she leave Ricky and John? For what? For whom?
        I need to find a recap stat.

• jericho says:

For College… Basically Amy became more and more deluded about how she felt she “deserved” to be happy and have the life she would have had if John had never been born.

2. TL says:

The Fosters was actually pretty good. Lots of potential.

3. Elyse says:

I loved the Fosters! I hope it sticks around.

4. Jennifer says:

I agree, Secret Life Finale was a total waste of time. There was a lot of flashbacks. I wanted to know about the final outcome with the characters. Sad.

• Elly says:

I’m glad to see people feel the same way, I kept thinking “are they serious with this?” I feel like that was a giant spit it in the face to fans.

5. JJ says:

Secret Life peaked years ago. Fans should be happy it atleast got a proper send off..regardless of it was any good or not. ABC family is notorious for cancelling series with major cliffhangers.

6. Mike R. says:

That is great ratings for MTV, and the show is pretty good too.

7. megan says:

Teen Wolf was excellent!

8. Jared says:

I just watched the first 2 seasons of Teen Wolf over the last 2-3 weeks and I was pleasantly surprised. MTV has a great series here. Im Glad I gave this show a chance.

• Mike R. says:

Same here, I only finished season 2 yesterday, likeable multi-dimensional characters, intriguing plot, it’s not perfect by any means, but I didn’t think MTV could pull off a good drama. Pleasantly surprised to say the least.

• megan says:

Same. I don’t watch MTV for anything these days and caught the series on netflix.. Next thing I knew, I’m hooked and watching it on mtv. They really hit the jackpot with this one. I don’t even think it belongs on mtv. Too good for it.

• Elyse says:

I made fun of the show when they were first showing previews for it on MTV because the name sounded so lame but like you I checked it out on Netflix and I was hooked. it really is a great show!

• Rain says:

Nice to see I’m not the only one that just found the show on Netflix a few weeks ago! I’m so insanely hooked I’ve been trying to make everyone I know watch!

9. A says:

The Secret Life series finale was awful. There was no payoff and no point. I know the show went down hill in the second half of season 4 but still I expected way more than this. A clip show followed by a rush disjointed ending with no closure in sight, really? I want the last five years I wasted watching this show back.

10. Lynne says:

I must agree with the others, the finale was pathetic. I stopped watching the show right around Ben and Adrian’s hookup cuz that was a really stupid idea to me but I did watch the finale last night hoping to see how it would end with Amy Ben and Ricky. Very disappointed with the fact that there was no resolution to Ben and Amy. Complete failure on the part of the writers.

11. Diz says:

Secret Life has to be the worst finale I have ever seen that had the time to write some kind of ending. What a slap to the face for everyone such as myself who stuck it through for each episode in the 5 years. I never liked Amy with Ricky but i want an ending, any ending!I won’t watch anything from that creator producer ever again.

12. JettaJameson says:

The season three premiere of Teen Wolf was hilariously awful. The show is not getting better, it’s getting worse. I’m giving it three more episodes before I stop watching. The show does more wrong than it does right. The fight scenes, especially the one in the elevator, were so lame. Don’t even get me started on the stupidity of the two twin wolves morphing into one giant wolf. The opening motorcycle chase with the HEINOUS CGI and special effects had me laughing. I’ve seen better material in student films. I stuck with the show for two whole seasons. I’m no longer willing to give them room to grow. They should’ve gotten it by now.

• neko says:

Personally I think the show really grew in strength plot-wise in S2 but I’m completely with you on the lol worthy CGI. The opening running scene and extremely fake deer made me laugh.
      As the season opener this ep definitely could have been better.

• Mike R. says:

The shows plot quality is only decent, I watch it for its campiness, thankfull embraces the camp most of the time.

13. Witchy says:

I watch Teen Wolf for Dylan O’Brien (Stiles) and Tyler Hoechlin (Derek) because I like them allot. Funny and Sexy. The rest is just bonus.

14. MrsTV says:

I completely agree that Secret Life was all kinds of awful! I figured Amy and Ricky would not get married, but what kind of message does it send when a teen Mom just up and leaves her 3 year old kid to go to college clear across the country? Selfish and Irresponsible! Now, Ricky who is trying to go to college and work, has full time responsibility for John. I was hoping they would at least have Amy decide to stay in California and go to college locally, so she could co-parent with Ricky.

15. Fabe says:

So what did Teen Wolf do in the regular 18 to 49 demo?

16. Alienate says:

No word on real shows like Longmire? :)

17. Mika02 says:

I liked the Season Finale of Secret life because with the flashbacks it really is embodiment of what the show has been about for 5 Seasons. It really showed what I loved about the show in the end. Life is not a fairy tale. I never felt the pull of RAMY and I always felt Amy was the selfish enough type of person to do what she did in the end. This doesn’t make her a bad person but as a mother I wouldn’t have done it. I also think it sets up for a Movie in the future to revisit the characters in say 10 years to see how it all worked out.

• Len says:

I agree. My only issue was the amount of flashbacks. But I think that might have been a timing issue of when they knew it was cancelled and at least trying to throw some sort of ending in.

Your key point is so correct though. This is a bunch of young adults, just leaving high school. There’s no way that any storyline should have been wrapped up tidy and neat, they haven’t even begun to live life yet. And I think the final episode showed that. They could have just done it with a bit less flashbacks :)

18. Tess says:

I was incredibly disappointed in the Secret Life finale. After watching it, I wasn’t even sure if it was the actual finale. So many easy ways out. It seemed more like a mid season episode than the series finale. Just terribly sad.

19. You are so cool! I don’t think I’ve read through anything like that before.
    So good to discover another person with a few original thoughts on this subject matter.

Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This web site is something that’s needed on the internet, someone with a bit of originality!