Justin Theroux Scores Lead in Damon Lindelof's HBO Drama Pilot The Leftovers

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Justin Theroux Cast in HBO's The LeftoversJustin Theroux will star in The Leftovers, an HBO drama pilot from Lost cocreator Damon Lindelof, TVLine has confirmed.

Based on Tom Perrotta’s book, the project is set after the Rapture and tells the story of those folks that didn’t quite make the cut.

Per Deadline, Theroux will play police chief Kevin Garvey, a father of two who is trying to maintain some semblance of normalcy in a world that is starting to completely reject that notion.

Lindelof co-wrote the pilot with Perrotta and both will serve as exec producers. Friday Night Lights‘ Peter Berg is on board to direct.

Theroux’s previous TV credits include Six Feet Under and Sex and the City.

Comments (20)

• Sounds like a solid story. Too bad Damon Lindelof is the one doing it. As the show comes to a close, he’s going to toss out everything that made the show great and give you a lemon while he laughs in your face.

Comment by justsomeguy – June 4, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To his each own. I consider Lindelof one of the best storytellers and writers on television. He has a brilliant mind, a great understanding of his characters, and a great attitude towards the relationship between his work and his fans.

While some may have disliked the ending of Lost, I for one found it to be a perfect send off to the characters of the show. Sure, not all the questions were answered, but Lost was always about the survivors, not about the mysteries or even the Island.

I recently purchased The Leftovers if only because of Lindelof’s involvement. He is my screenwriting inspiration, and I cannot wait for the show to start.

Comment by Dan – June 4, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “but Lost was always about the survivors, not about the mysteries or even the Island.”

lol, I don’t even think we were watching the same show.

Comment by justsomeguy – June 4, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah we were. Dan was right.

Comment by Teag – June 4, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Guess that’s the Damon Lindelof way! lol

Comment by justsomeguy – June 4, 2013 12:43 PM PDT
        • I was watching the same show that Dan was. The mysteries and the island itself were just MacGuffins and challenges for the characters.

Comment by Adam – June 4, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The first thing we saw was Jack’s eye opening. Not the Island, not the Monster, not a statue, not an airplane. But a character. The last thing we saw was Jack’s eye closing.

The entire show was about people who were LOST in their lives – physically and emotionally. See, even when they were rescued, their lives were still a mess, and they realized that the only way to find what is missing is reuniting with the people they left behind. In one of the final scenes, Christian tells Jack that they needed each other to move on, because the time they spent on the Island (along with the people they spent it with) was the most important time of their lives. Now tell me, which part about it is not all about characters?

I’m sorry, justsomeguy, but if you watched all six seasons of Lost and all you got out of it was unanswered questions, I believe you missed the point of the show. Maybe we were watching two different shows…

Comment by Dan – June 4, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I was watching the same show Dan was. And it was always about the survivors to me. Kate, Claire and Aaron, Jin and Sun, Charlie and Claire, whether Kate would end up with Jack or Sawyer, Sawyer and Jukiet, Hurley…the mysteries of the island were cool but ultimately I didn’t care who was shooting at them in the a outrigger or what the deal was with Walt. Actor that portrayed Walt hit puberty too fast and they didn’t have a contingency plan. Case closed.

I agree with Dan 100%. And now I think I’m going to go re-watch from the beginning.

Comment by Julie – June 4, 2013 09:15 PM PDT
      • I liked the ending of Lost and agree that it was about the characters.. I think Lindelof really succeeded in getting the audience to know these characters and care about them.. The Leftovers is airing on HBO so that leaves me out since that is not a cable channel I have access to.
        I would like to see it at some point. Curious to see Justin Theroux in it too.

Comment by JBC – June 4, 2013 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So what kinds of characters will make up the cast? Because if it’s after the Rapture, there’s 2 ways to look at it: 1) Everyone who’s not an absolute devout as-good-as-possible Christian is gone, leaving, well, the majority of the world left; or 2) Everyone relatively good is gone, and the only people left are the lowest common denomenator. Makes you wonder how bad a person a police chief must be to be left behind.

Already sensing some plot holes, which is unfortunate because I loved Lost and Fringe (plot holes and all!).

Comment by Matthew – June 4, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good people who aren’t Christians still exist.

Comment by Trag – June 4, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So true.

Comment by Jim – June 4, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, and I said that, essentially. My first point. #1. “Everyone who’s not an sbolute devout as-good-as-possible Christian is gone, leaving, well, the majority of the world left.” So either barely anyone disapears, or almost everyone does and the scum suckers are the only ones left.

Please read an entire post over before replying to it in the future.

Comment by Matthew – June 4, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you.

Comment by Aleksa – June 4, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe those who were taken and those left behind were all pretty random… not specific to any religion or good vs bad (correct me if I’m wrong).

Comment by Fran – June 4, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You could be right. I haven’t read the book. So really, we’re probably dealing with a story where the characters assume it’s a rapture and then find out it’s aliens or some such scenario.

Comment by Matthew – June 4, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s a word for a society without religion – heaven.

Comment by Jo – June 4, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for the epic Twitter breakdown from Lindelof when critics slam his show

Comment by Mila – June 4, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very good book. And nowhere is the event called The Rapture; however, it’s definitely similar to what our understanding of The Rapture is.

Comment by Marie – June 4, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
      By any other name would smell as sweet;

Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare, ~1594