Cable Renewal Scorecard: What's Coming Back? What's Cancelled? What's on the Bubble?

TVLine Cable Renewal ScorecardTVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has spawned a spin-off!

By popular demand, we present you with our first-ever Cable Renewal Scorecard, a handy, constantly-updated and easy-to-navigate cheat sheet featuring the current status of more than 100 of the buzziest* non-broadcast (plus PBS) offerings.

(*Due to issues related to length and our own sanity, not every cable series is included).

We’ll be updating this list regularly with the latest industry intel, so we strongly suggest you bookmark this puppy and check back for updates.

RELATED | 2014 Broadcast Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled on ABC, CBS, The CW, Fox and NBC?

And now, the Scorecard (grouped by network)…

ABC FAMILY
Bunheads: Officially cancelled
Baby Daddy: Season 3 premiered Jan. 15; already renewed for Season 4.
Chasing Life: Season 1 to debut in early 2014
The Fosters: Season 1b premiered Jan. 13; already renewed for Season 2.
Melissa & Joey: Season 3b premiered Jan. 15; Renewed for Season 4
The Lying Game: Officially cancelled
Pretty Little Liars: Renewed for Season 5
Ravenswood: Season 1 finale airs Feb. 4; Season 2 could go either way  Officially cancelled
The Secret Life of the American Teenager: Series finale aired June 3
Switched at Birth: Renewed for Season 3
Twisted: Season 1b premieres Feb. 11; Season 2 renewal could go either way.

A&E
Bates Motel: Season 2 currently airing; already renewed for Season 3
The Glades: Officially Cancelled
Longmire: Officially renewed for Season 3

ADULT SWIM
Rick and Morty:
Renewed for Season 2

AMC
Breaking Bad: Series finale aired Sept. 29.
Hell on Wheels: Renewed for Season 4
The Killing: Season 4 to air on Netflix
Low Winter Sun: Season 2 renewal is a long-shot. Officially cancelled
Mad Men: Season 7 to air in two seven-episode halves (summer 2014, summer 2015)
TURN: Series premiered April 6.
The Walking Dead: Season 4 finale aired March 30; Renewed for Season 5

PROCEED TO NEXT PAGE FOR BBC, BET, CINEMAX and FX!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Comments (387)

• Thank you!

Comment by Cathy Bartlett – June 4, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the Client List gets renewed, but JLH is pregnant and ratings have slipped a little.

Comment by Brandy – June 4, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ratings wise, I wouldn’t be that concerned about The Client List. It is still high-rated for Lifetime, but not the relative monster it used to be.

JLH having her baby is a completely different situation. I don’t think it would have an effect on renew v. cancel, but The Client List likely to go on hiatus for a year (or more).

Comment by nick1372 – June 4, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting…very interesting.

A similar renew/cancel scorecard for cable networks was started on another site (TV by the Numbers) about 9 months ago. It was “cancelled” after a few months due to low pageviews. I wonder how this will go for you, TVLine.

Comment by nick1372 – June 4, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is an every year thing for TVLine. I’m pretty sure it’s fine.

Comment by Meg – June 4, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ahem.

“…we present you with our first-ever Cable Renewal Scorecard”

Comment by nick1372 – June 4, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know about TV by the numbers but I’ve never seen Tvline remove anything even when a story only has 5 comments…. this is their first one for cable shows but the broadcast one is done every year and does great.

Comment by Fran – June 5, 2013 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wasn’t saying it was going to be removed. The other site just stopped updating it due to low interest. I was wondering if that would be the case here too.

Comment by nick1372 – June 5, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting….I have showtime and ive seen the episode that airs ahead of time (so next Sunday’s) and in the previews for the following week it says “next week on the SEASON finale…)… seems weird that showtime hasn’t made a decision for it yet… I figured that meant it was going to be renewed. Man, I sure hope so.
    Same with Bunheads, give that show a real chance, a season 2.

Comment by Maddie – June 4, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hahahaha the show I’m talking about on showtime is NURSE JACKIE of course :)

Comment by Maddie – June 4, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Banshee for Showtime was not listed, by the creator of True Blood. Season 1 ended and is renewed for Season 2.

Comment by Dragonsi – June 4, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Banshee is on Cinemax- and its listed here.

Comment by Fran – June 5, 2013 04:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks so much for doing this. I’ll use it for a reference of shows I was meaning to check out, but forgot about.

Comment by Jason – June 4, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know everyone has their favorites, but for me, the ONLY show that matters is
    ‘Justified’. Can’t wait for season 5 to start!

Comment by KKGator – June 4, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree – that and The Bridge – network TV is horrible!

Comment by Taffy – October 31, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • where is NBC in the lineup?

Comment by Carla Conde – June 4, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Considering that Bunheads just got picked to receive the California tax credit I’ll assume that ABCF will pick up a second season now. Unfortunately The Lying Game seems like the likely cancellation.

Comment by JJ – June 4, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m assuming that since Bunheads “won” the California Tax Lottery that we can but it in the “will be renewed shortly” category?

Comment by jericho – June 4, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Broadchurch? Series 1 was picked up to air in August on BBC America, and a series 2 has been ordered in the UK.

Also, everyone needs to know about this show, because it’s amazing! Seriously good storytelling, it’s very compelling.

Comment by Nessie – June 4, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Nessie – This is a renewal scorecard. There are NO new shows listed.

Comment by Simon Jester – June 4, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, no. There are new shows listed.

Comment by teevoz – June 11, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Luther. September 3rd. Thank you.

Comment by sladewilson – June 4, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right there with you!!! Thank you TVLIne! I thought it had been cancelled! Why the two year hiatus???

Comment by JM – July 16, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • British shows have very long hiatuses all the time. They’re not forced to churn them out every year. If the writers, stars, and producers aren’t ready, they don’t do it. Also, Idris Elba has been busy starring in films like Prometheus and Pacific Rim.

Never assume a British show is cancelled just because it’s been off for two years, or even three, or even five or ten. They can always come back. Red Dwarf came back for a 10th season recently. Its (appallingly bad) ninth season was in 2009. Its eighth was in 1999.

Apparently this will be Luther’s final season.

Comment by Ike – July 17, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BTW – I’ve been waiting for Ray Donovan like forever. And I’m glad MAX’s “Strike Back” is coming back for another season.

Comment by sladewilson – June 4, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Borgias is absolutely amazing… I really hope it gets renewed because I’d honestly be devastated to see it go. One of the best shows on TV ever. Excellent in every aspect of it. I hope they’ll at least give it proper closure with a 4th season like it had originally been planned. We’re all rooting for it!

Comment by Rita – June 4, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Borgia” on Netflix is even BETTER than the Showtime series.
      The first two seasons are available, and Season 3 had just begun shooting.
      There is no comparison, it is SO much better.

Comment by KKGator – June 4, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t have Netflix…are you saying that there is a different version of The Borgias than was on Showtime? And that it is still in production? Is it the same cast with different scripts or an entirely different series?
        Please respond…I hated the way they just “stopped” the Showtime series; is there a continuation of that storyline on Netflix? I may find myself signing up for that service while dropping Showtime!

Comment by Mary S – July 16, 2013 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You left off one of my favorites: Cinemax’s “A Girls Guide to Depravity”. I understand Season 2 will air later this year.

Comment by Doc Moonlight – June 4, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • forgot about RHOH I am not sure about Second Generation Wayans

Comment by unknown – June 4, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the borgias

Comment by stella – June 4, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are so many shows waiting 9 months to a year between seasons? Aren’t we protected from cruel and unusual punishment around here?

Comment by Sheila – June 4, 2013 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s pretty much the norm now for cable shows. Personally I like it since we get uninterrupted seasons. Much better than when a show is on for 5 episodes and then goes on a break several times a season.

Comment by Fran – June 5, 2013 04:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bunheads, Bunheads, Bunheads & you can never have enough White Collar! Welcome Back Drop Dead Diva – hope you’re singing this go round :)

Comment by Ananda – June 4, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I already have my pitchfork in hand just in case Bunheads isn’t renewed.

Comment by Annie – June 4, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is awesome! Thanks! What about Hunted on Cinemax?

Comment by Jenna – June 4, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unless Cinemax start producing the show themselves then Hunted is cancelled as the first series wad made by BBC here in the UK and they cancelled it because of disappointing ratings

Comment by Katie – June 5, 2013 03:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about BBCs The Hour?

Comment by Mimi – June 4, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bbc cancelled The Hour after the last series, although there is rumors that they may make a final one off episode to finish it off

Comment by Katie – June 5, 2013 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks for answering, although I sure wish it was better news. It was so well written and acted, and it ended with a cliffhanger.

Comment by Mimi – June 5, 2013 04:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks TVLINE crew! Super helpful and much appreciated.

Comment by mia – June 4, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you TVline for putting this together. The one show that I really hope gets picked up is The Lying Game on ABC Family. Since I believe it is one of their better rated series after PLL I don’t know why they wouldn’t pick it up.

Comment by G – June 5, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unfortunately, you have read some wrong information, if you believe that The Lying Game is one of ABC Family’s higher rated shows. These are the ratings averages (in Adults 18-49) for the ABCF shows-
      PLL: 1.1
      Switched at Birth: 0.7
      The Fosters: 0.6
      Secret Life of the American Teenager (cancelled): 0.6
      Bunheads: 0.5
      Lying Game: 0.5
      TLG is in a virtual tie with Bunheads for last place. I believe that Bunheads is actually a few hundredths of a ratings point below TLG; however, Bunheads has a few other advantages over TLG. It does not have TLG’s cozy PLL lead-in, which is very valuable. It also has a California tax credit, making it very cheap to produce.
      IMO, TLG’s renewal chances are slim. The only way it may get a renewal is if a Bunheads renewal falls thorough due to disagreements between show and network AND The Fosters falls through in the coming weeks AND the new show Twisted bombs. I find all three of these happening together as a stretch. I think the most likely thing that will happen is both Bunheads & TLG are cancelled. They already have lower ratings than the already cancelled SLOAT.
      Thanks for sticking with me through a long rant. :)

Comment by nick1372 – June 5, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand this is a work in progress and thank you for your work.

Comment by Michael – June 5, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAVE NURSE JACKIE!!!

Comment by Delia – June 5, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TG Dallas was renewed!!! It’s a shame for Monday Mornings; that was a really good show!

Comment by daveyk01 – June 5, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TG Dallas was renewed! !!! I will dearly miss Monday Mornings.

Comment by daveyk01 – June 5, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CONTINUUM was renewed for SEASON 3 today!!! MADE MY DAY! Or year! Or life. <3 <3 <3 <3

Comment by Barbie Furtado – June 5, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yay. Do you know if it’s getting picked up by SyFy?

Comment by nick1372 – June 5, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad Burn Notice is ending and wish season five wasn’t the end of Warehouse 13. Happy about Psych but don’t want season 8 to be the end. Also wish the wait for syfy and other cable shows wasn’t so long in between seasons.

Comment by Patti – June 5, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks so much for finally putting together a cable renewal scorecard with dates. It is greatly appreciated. I hope you continue to do this every June.

Comment by TVDIVA – June 5, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When will Witches of East End air????

Comment by BBC – June 5, 2013 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m tired of watching Netflix. At least we have Falling Skies and The Killing to look forward to tonight (sunday). If they add one more food or fix a bad restaurant show I’m going to shoot myself. I was burned out on cop shows 3 years ago. I watch BBC TV because the people look like real people, not all beautiful women with the same freaking identical haircut and piled on makeup that survives floods, fires and famine. I like “real” characters and interesting stories. Not some stupid comedy series like Whitney or sexed up fake Girls or BORING The New Girl. We need more like Modern Family or The Good Wife or Suits or Revolution. Okay, I’m an old fogy. Kill me.

Comment by Susan – June 9, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any word on Law & Order:UK or Wallander?

Comment by teevoz – June 11, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any word on Law & Order:UK or Wallander?

Comment by teevoz – June 11, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A. Love this! Thank you!
    B. Any word on A&E Hoarders?
    C. Can someone send a message to TNT – still angry about Leverage! I’m glad Monday Mornings failed!

Comment by akcelt – June 11, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What does being angry about Leverage have to do with Monday Mornings??? It was not the same time slot, was it? And even if it was, I miss BOTH of them.
      I liked seeing the “behind the scenes-after-the-fact” meetings. I heard some drs being told off about issues that have actually happened to friends. I was hoping that the real-life doctors would hear the lectures and maybe learn something from them…besides which, I like Ving Rhames and Alfred Molina. They are excellent actors and fun to watch. And, I do admit, there were a couple of episodes that were not as exciting as Grey’s Anatomy or House, but I liked the show and am sorry to see it go.
      As for Leverage, I bought the series on DVD but really hate not having new episodes!!! They left a perfect lead-in for a spin-off…why wouldn’t some other station pick it up?

Comment by Mary S – June 19, 2013 01:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Re PBS, I thought I read somewhere it was picking up ITV’s ‘Scott & Bailey’ — do you know when that is coming? Or maybe it was BBC-A. (Sorry!) And ‘Case Histories’ season 2 — any word on that? And could you confirm that ‘Hunted’ really is or isn’t returning to Cinemax? Thanks so much.

Comment by AH – June 13, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you so much for listing these!!! There are so many good shows that aren’t on the “big 4″ or whatever you want to call abc/nbc/cbs/fox

Comment by Gretchen H – June 13, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only one I care about is “The Client List” – top notch writing and great ensemble!

Comment by PLP – June 16, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please update, now that the fosters had it’s third episode – how impacts this the Lying Game? Please! Thank you!

Comment by Anke – June 18, 2013 03:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, Michael A.-(or anyone who KNOWS) – Why did they cancel the Borgias??? The season finale turns out to be the SERIES finale, with everything up in the air. What happens after Lucretzia takes the poison? she saved the lives of others who had been poisoned, did somebody save her? Did she really die that way at that young age? And what of the Pope? And what of…you get the drift. No, they can’t do this to us!!!
    Did someone get a movie deal that would interfere with the filming of the series? What happened?

Comment by Mary S – June 19, 2013 01:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not up on lates cable or regular TV rating systems… what is a good number for cable shows… what is a good number for broadcast shows…. I can read the numbers but do not have a good reference as to what is considered a hit or a miss….THANK YOU

Comment by Nonnie – June 26, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The problem with looking just at the ratings is that there are a lot of people who don’t care what they watch. They don’t look for excellent writing or acting or thought-provoking storylines. In other words, they may be overlooking quality shows in favor of contirved situations and the amount of yelling, screaming, backbiting, sabotage, etc. Some of my favorite shows have been canceled because the ratings were not high enough or the demographics were wrong or whatever. My suggestion is, watch the shows your friends recommend or that you find on your own. USA and TNT often have original shows that are far superior to anything found on the major networks.
      There are some reality shows on network tv that I find to be insulting to our intelligence but they get very high ratings and are kept, yaar after year, possibly because they are cheap to make.
      Burn Notice is in its final season, Dexter (on Showtime) is in its final season. The Borgias has not been renewed. BUT White Collar, Suits, Covert Affairs, Royal Pains, Necessary Roughness,and Perception have just begun their summer seasons. There are other shows in reruns that you can watch, to see if you will want to see them in the Fall. They must have had decent ratings or else they would not still be airing.
      BUT ratings alone will not tell you if YOU will like the shows.
      I would suggest that you watch one episode of each, plus any others you might see advertised. DON”T look for ratings alone; judge for yourself.

Comment by Mary S – June 26, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nonnie, I apologize! I left off Longmire and The Glades, both on A&E. I enjoy both of those, as well. You might check them out, too.
      And, there are good shows on the Food Network…I never thought I would like anything on there, because I do not like to cook, but there are some very entertaining shows to be found.

Comment by Mary S – June 26, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I do not have cable…only time I see cable is when my GF and I get together for a girls night out…. I was just wondering since TV / ratings have changed due to streaming, cable … WHAT ARE GOOD NUMBERS FOR CABLE SHOW … WHAT ARE GOOD NUMBERS FOR BROADCAST SHOWS…. in other words what #s equal a hit… what kind of numbers get a show cancelled…. I barely understand the rating system…. THANKS FOR ANY INPUT…

Comment by Nonnie – June 26, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It varies wildly by cable network, there is no one “magic number,” sorry!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 26, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It varies from channel to channel, but generally, if a cable show can get an 0.6 rating or more *in adults 18-49* than it can survive. 0.9 or more is generally a big hit. Remember, that’s a RATING number IN ADULTS 18-49. Total viewers are not important to advertisers.

Some of the much smaller channels like BBC America will withstand lower numbers as they try to build an audience. Mad Men and Breaking Bad on AMC started out with numbers well below 0.6, and have built up over the years as word has spread. BBC America renewed Orphan Black and Ripper Street despite extremely low ratings. Bigger, established channels like USA and TNT will not tolerate such low numbers. Monday Mornings, for instance, never stood a chance with its 0.3s. That was an immediate terminal diagnosis for that show. Lower numbers are sometimes tolerated for comedies because they are extremely valuable on the “back end,” in rerun syndication.

For the big four broadcasters, these days, a show needs something like 1.6-1.8 in adults 18-49, at least. This is down hugely from just 10 or 15 years ago when shows needed a 3.0 or 4.0 to survive. Audiences are much more fragmented now.

Comment by ike7 – June 29, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the Fosters. One of the best this summer. Keep it coming

Comment by Mary M – June 26, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the update!

Comment by b00y0h – July 8, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Famous was cancelled. It’s not updated.

Comment by RobMF – July 10, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This time, this list has a few errors – one is for certain. “Royal Pains” got a two year renewal last year. So although it says, “Too soon to be certain,” I am, for one, certain it will come back next summer. It has an order for two seasons I believe for 13 episodes unless it was canceled and did not hear about it.

Comment by Sam – July 11, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope that abc family brings back the lying game(: I feel like I’m having withdraws without it!! They left the season with so many loose ends!! Ilove that show, I watch the old episodes all the time! It’s weird because I watch at least one of the older episodes everyday (::! I even have dreams about what’s going to happen next !! @abcfamily please bring back the lying game😳😳😳

Comment by Kayla – July 12, 2013 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any chance of an update on The Killing’s chances? We’re nearing the end of season 3 now.

Comment by RyanC – July 16, 2013 03:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope Bunheads is renewed.

Comment by Loz – July 16, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On page 4 it says Haven is premiering in October… needs to be updated with the recent news that it will premiere on Sept 13th

Comment by DreamRose311 – July 17, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post