Mad Men's Bob Benson: Good Guy, or Some Kind of Spy? View the Evidence and Make the Call

bob benson mad menWhether Mad Men‘s Bob Benson is an earnest do-gooder or a nefarious weasel is as contentious a debate as whether to sell margarine based on cost or taste.

Though he’s been on the fringe of the action since his introduction in the Season 6 premiere, the new accounts guy (played by James Wolk) is all Mad fans want to talk about. (Well, him and the “Will Megan meet Sharon Tate’s fate?” question.)

Theories on Benson’s true identity – government spy? undercover reporter? Don’s illegitimate son? – abound. And while we’re not yet sure exactly why he’s turned up at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce Cutler Gleason Chaough Or Whatever They’ll Eventually Call It, we’ve noticed that Benson is a keen observer at life within the firm.

Well, guess what, Bob? We’ve been keeping close tabs on you, too.

RELATED | Hot for Summer: Your Guide to 125 Upcoming Premiere and Finale Dates

TVLine has monitored the mysterious Mad man’s activities for the season to date, and the gallery below presents his whereabouts in each episode – along with what he appears to be saying/doing in the scene… and what we imagine he’s actually thinking.

We think we’ve caught the big stuff (and most of the small stuff), but the dude is cagey; if we missed any key Bob Benson moment, shout it out in the comments. And while you’re there, make sure to log your thoughts on the ad-agency newbie, as well as any alternate theories on what brings him to Madison Avenue in the late ’60s.

1. Patt Taylor says:

If you’ve ever worked in an advertising agency, especially one with an automobile account, you would recognized the ultimate Car Guy. And whoosh, he happens into being the account exec for Chevy! He seems like the golden boy who is always going to come out smelling like a rose.

2. Sara18 says:

Could he be one of Roger’s illegitimate kids? He’s hanging around Joan to get to know his half-brother

• ivy says:

I agree. He’s been philandering for years. Maybe his mom is the late Mrs. Blankenship. Remember when Roger was writing his his memoirs and the audience discovered that he was having an affair with Bert’s secretary, Mrs. Blankenship? However, I think Bob is probably Don’s son from the prostitute and if he was say 15 when conceived her, Bob would be about 26 now which is feasible. Plus I love that his name is Bob the same name as Don’ son Bobby (no.5).

3. Gailer says:

I think Bob is on MM just to show how a suck up at the office operates.

4. Diana says:

I think he’s gay as well….but I’m not sure about the story line. Could he be the real Don Draper’s younger brother, coming to avenge the death he’s found out about? Don did drop the ligther that took out the real Don Draper, right? He’s too old to be Don’s son, in my opinion. I keep thinking, what type of story line haven’ty they hit upon yet. what if he’s gay and a pedophile and ends up hurting Joan’s little guy? Roger could take him out in the end!

I don’t think megan will get killed….I think she’ll jump off the balcony.

What was with all the sirens last week? they were an obvious overtone but I didn’t really meld it all together well.

5. Chris says:

Bob Benson: Beware of Greeks bearing gifts?
    So is Bob just a climber trying to get ahead, a genuine nice guy, and/or a closeted gay man who, inexplicably, has the hots for Pete Campbell? None of the above. I think there’s got to be something more sinister to his regular attempts to curry favor with senior staff and partners this season. I’m guessing he’s either a con man, mole from another agency or an undercover cop trying to rip off or take down SCDP in some way by infiltrating senior staff. At different points, he’s tried to ingratiate himself with Don (with coffee in the elevator in episode 1), Joan (by accompanying her to the ER) and Pete (by finding a male caretaker for his mother and then making a pass at him). Every episode he’s seen drinking coffee from an iconic NYC ‘greek’ paper cup. He’s up to something and I think the season will climax with some kind of major damage sustained to the firm or one of its partners as a result of Benson’s actions.

6. denismarks says:

I can’t wait for the haymarket riot in nyc in ’69 to see if the true Bob comes out.