Matt Smith Leaving Doctor Who at Year's End — Who Should Helm the TARDIS Next?

Get More: Casting News, News

Doctor Who Renewed Season 8The Doctor is soon to be out.

Matt Smith and BBC America announced on Saturday that Doctor Who will be in need of a new Time Lord, once this year’s Christmas special wraps.

RELATED | Doctor Who‘s 50th’s Anniversary Special: Why John Barrowman Won’t Appear

Smith — who first portrayed the Doctor in 2010 and will wrap up his run in both the series’ 50th anniversary program (airing November 23) and annual holiday special — shared this statement on BBC America’s website:

Doctor Who has been the most brilliant experience for me as an actor and a bloke, and that largely is down to the cast, crew and fans of the show. I’m incredibly grateful to all the cast and crew who work tirelessly every day, to realise all the elements of the show and deliver Doctor Who to the audience. Many of them have become good friends and I’m incredibly proud of what we have achieved over the last four years.

Having Steven Moffat as show runner write such varied, funny, mind bending and brilliant scripts has been one of the greatest and most rewarding challenges of my career. It’s been a privilege and a treat to work with Steven, he’s a good friend and will continue to shape a brilliant world for the Doctor.”

For more of his farewell note, visit BBC.co.uk.

RELATED | Doctor Who: David Tennant, Billie Piper On Board for 50th Anniversary Special

Moffat in turn issued a statement, saying in part:

“Every day, on every episode, in every set of rushes, Matt Smith surprised me: the way he’d turn a line, or spin on his heels, or make something funny, or out of nowhere make me cry, I just never knew what was coming next. … But great actors always know when it’s time for the curtain call, so this Christmas prepare for your hearts to break, as we say goodbye to number Eleven. Thank you Matt – bow ties were never cooler.

Where does Smith’s take on the Time Lord rank for you amongst all the portrayals? And does anyone have any casting suggestions for the next Doctor?

Comments (433)

• What about Jenna-Louise Coleman’s real-life boyfriend, Richard Madden? Might not be good for them to mix business and pleasure though!

Comment by Zoe – June 1, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would absolutely love Richard Madden to get it.

Idris Elba is my other choice.

Comment by DEPSexton – June 1, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Sir Patrick Stewart?

Comment by Mike Weiser – June 1, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG hugh laurie please *.*

Comment by didi – June 1, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Morrissey I know he’s busy being ‘The Governor’ but maybe he can fit it in.

Comment by Suzanne Kari (@suzank45) – June 1, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wouldn’t that be trippy seeing as how he was already “The Next Doctor”

Comment by Tom Charles – June 1, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Colin Salmon? He’s a terrific actor that has never been given the spotlight. He would be great! That’s my final vote Colin Salmon!

Comment by akcelt – June 1, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about a lady doctor like river song or amy huh huh

Comment by tammy – June 1, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the idea of a woman and like Amy, but I never liked River. Alex Kingston, yes. River Song annoyed the living h-ll out of me.

Comment by Sally – June 1, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Noble. Think about it. Think harder.

Comment by Hurding Katz – June 1, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no, only british people can be the doctor, anyone else would just feel wrong.

Comment by Alan – June 1, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • David Tennant is Scottish….

Comment by wooster182 – June 1, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m sorry to have to be the one to tell you .. Scotland is in Great Britain, making 10 British .. shucks for you. Anyway, Tom Hiddleston has my vote!

Comment by Rob – June 1, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww, I’m sorry to hear this. :( Matt Smith has been my favorite Doctor so far. I enjoyed Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant but neither of them has gotten me quite as invested in the Doctor as a character as Matt Smith has. I was hoping he’d be around for awhile longer. I suppose this means the end of River too? I wondered when I saw the S7 finale if that meant we wouldn’t be seeing her again. I’m sure I’ll like whoever comes on next though – I’ve enjoyed all the Doctors and companions so far (to a greater or lesser extent; I wasn’t the biggest fan of Rose or Martha).

Comment by JC – June 1, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think we’ve seen the last of River anyway. S7 kinda wrapped up the River saga and takes place after Silence in the Library (which is the death of River). Her role is already reduced to being a hologram.

Comment by Rich Higgason – June 1, 2013 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bill Nighy or — behold, an american — Bradley Whitford would both make good doctors.

Comment by Jens Krebs (@Flitzefisch) – June 1, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never in my life would have thought of my adorable Bradley Whitford but hell yes I would sign up to watch Lemon Lymon be the Doctor!!

Comment by wooster182 – June 1, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Eddie Redmayne would be really good a The Doctor.

Comment by starbike – June 1, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While it took me awhile to like Matt’s doctor and I did end up liking him I can’t say i’m super sad to see him go though. Now if only Moffat and his bad writing would leave. I wouldn’t mind Rupert. I’d love to see Andrew Lee Potts as the doctor though! I think he’d be great.

I also wish David could just come back…But I thought when Karen and Arthur said they where leaving it was said Matt would be leaving too? I don’t know lol I’m not shocked he’s leaving though.

Comment by gabby – June 1, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • its a sad day when we have to think about a replacement for matt smith, i dont know how anyone will top his performance so good luck to whoever gets the job. i think people who are relatively unknown are best suited for the role so i would like to see someone who has been floating around for a while but hasnt had the chance to really make a name for themselves get the role; or failing that ben whishaw because he constantly puts in fantastic performances in whatever role he is given.
    as long as steven moffat is still the showrunner this is not all bad news though because i would really like to see him building a different interpretation of the doctor, something to contrast the work he has done with smith.
    hopefully smith will go on to have a hugely successful career because so far david tennant and christopher eccleston havent exactly capitalised on the fame brought by the role to the extent they should have and thats a shame because they are both fantastic.

Comment by Alan – June 1, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Richard Ayoade for #12!!!

Comment by erin – June 1, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see a more serious Doctor . An actor such as James Nesbitt or Idris Elba .

Comment by Drew – June 1, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it HAS to be benedict cumberbatch. ok still does Sherlock but for how much longer? hes already famous so wont need leave soonish to “crack Hollywood” because hes already been there and done it. besides of everyone out there he is the perfect doctor. im sure if gatiss and Moffatt had a word he would be willing given theyre all involved in Sherlock. hes been to Hollywood, successful over there too but he still comes back for Sherlock, that’s the kind of actor that’s needed not one wholl do one soon as a chance over there comes around.

Comment by paulc1989 – June 1, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m loving how ridiculous some of these suggestions are.
    They are not going to hire someone who is already super-busy with movies and TV (So no Benedict Cumberbatch, A-List British film stars, comedians etc etc as they are all too busy)

Based on past experiences it’s going to be someone who’s a little quirky but can handle both serious and comedic lines (and is open to do this kind of TV)
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s another outside choice that no one will expect

Comment by James – June 1, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for saying what I was thinking…. Sometimes I just shake my head. Slightly unknown or least lower profile is definitely the way to go.

Also speaking as a hard core fan and woman…. Please do my cast a woman in this role! The doctor is a man- man!

Comment by Zetylin – June 1, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dang auto-correct. Meant do not cast a woman

Comment by Zetylin – June 1, 2013 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Colin Morgan fits the description as quirky, serious and funny!

Comment by Missy – June 2, 2013 04:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ryan Cartwright (Vincent Nigel Murray from bones & Gary from alphas) fits that bill

Comment by Estée – June 2, 2013 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oooo. I like that idea. He’s wicked talented.

Comment by mia – June 2, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Finally, someone speaks sense!
      Like you, i’ve been amazed by some of the suggestions put forward. The next actor to play the role will most likely be someone low profile and almost unknown. When Matt was cast the same names were being thrown out as now, he wasn’t even on anyone’s radar until a few days before he was officially announced. So whatever actors people believe should be cast almost certainly WILL NOT BE CAST!

Comment by Mark S – June 2, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Helen Mirren. Because that would be fracking amazing.

Comment by TK – June 1, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robert Sheehan! He would be awesome!

Comment by Tanderix – June 1, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never liked Smith as the Doctor. Like the idea of Jamie Bamber though. Might make me watch again.

Comment by Lisa – June 1, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t know who I would choose to be the next Doctor. But if Moffat goes young, Aidan Turner from Being Human would be a good fit.

Comment by JT – June 1, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, no, no! Love Aiden, but not as the Doctor.

Comment by Melody Paris – June 1, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved Aiden as Mitchell, but don’t see him as The Doctor. Damien Molony (Hal) from Being Human would be a better choice.

Comment by Maggie – June 2, 2013 12:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alan Webb?

Comment by Spinning Maze – June 1, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Callum Blue as the Doctor! He’s not real well known and he was great on Dead Like Me and as Zod on Smallville

Comment by Dave – June 1, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • callum would make a better master i think, his zod was already quite like the master so it wouldnt be that much of a leap for him to make.

Comment by Alan – June 1, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I could see that as well. I think he would be fine in either role

Comment by Dave – June 1, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sorry to see Matt Smith go – really unusual and talented actor. But please can Steven Moffat go now too? Storylines nowadays are way too convoluted and the ideas behind them are just getting daft. Russell T. Davies had his bad days (only a few) but he kept the show’s feet on the ground when he ran it. He kept the casual viewer involved, not just the devoted fans. Under Moffat, that went out the window. Smith had a tough job keeping the whole thing watchable. The new doctor, whoever it is (Harry Lloyd? Ben Wishaw?) will suffer from the same problems unless there’s a new producer with a fresh approach who can stop the programme disappearing up its own space-time continuum.

Comment by Rob – June 1, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! That is what I’ve been trying to say. I think I would have liked Matt Smith if the story lines had at least followed the basic Doctor rules. Like not crossing your own timeline!

Comment by akcelt – June 1, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the doctor only ever crosses his own timeline under moffat when the universe is on the verge of destruction, something which has long been established as throwing all the usual laws out the window and causing crazy stuff to happen; anytime crossing timelines has happened has actually been well within long established lack-of-rules in the story.

Comment by Alan – June 1, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just knew this announcement would bring all the Moffat-haters out of the woodwork!
      Sorry to disappoint, but the Moff is in charge for season 8, so you’re out of luck, i guess.

Comment by Mark S – June 2, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Frankie boyle, frankie boyle, frankie boyle, frankie boyle, frankie boyle, just have frankie boyle as the next doctor!

Comment by Johnathon – June 1, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seriously just started liking the 11th doctor, due to the fact that David Tennant is awesome. But I don’t want him to go. Why does he have to go. This is going to be heartbreaking.

Comment by Rose Wayne – June 1, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they go older, how about Hugh Laurie or Anthony Head?

Comment by Hazen – June 1, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adrian Lester. A great actor.

Comment by Nick – June 1, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES…YES…YES to Mr. Lester! Best suggestion yet…but he would not be ginger.

Comment by Elderleigh – June 1, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Martin Freeman or Orlando Bloom

Comment by Krishi Jhaveri – June 1, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, if Castle had been canceled, I would say Nathan Fillion would make a terrific first American Doctor….

But I would totally love for Charlie Cox to be the next Doctor. The next one needs a little more sex appeal. Going from foxy Tennant to Smith was a little tough.

Comment by wooster182 – June 1, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • as much as i love fillion, no doctors that arent british it just wouldnt fit.

Comment by Alan – June 1, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, in reality, I agree, but he would be a damn good Doctor. Goofy, charming, wonderful sci-fi background.

Comment by wooster182 – June 1, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nathan Fillion isn’t American and not all of the Doctors have been British. Though there is no chance of them casting a non-UK actor.

Comment by Sally – June 1, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yes all 11 have been british, in fact all but david tennant and sylvester mccoy have been english, both of them are scotish.

Comment by Alan – June 1, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’ve never heard a Scotsman call himself British. ‘From the UK’, yes, but never British.

Comment by Sally – June 1, 2013 04:38 PM PDT
      • The term “british” refers to anyone from the UK so that would include Scotland. I don’t think they normally refer to themselves that way, but technically all the doctors have been british.

Comment by Jim – June 1, 2013 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nathan is Canadian (yay). But I agree he’d be excellent

Comment by mia – June 1, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for James Marsters. Not British I know, but he fakes it very well. He’d be fantastic

Comment by kaleb – June 1, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This news broke my heart.

Comment by RobMF – June 1, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know they would never cast as I would wish them to – but I’m voting for Robert Carlyle. If they are willing to take an actor from outside the UK – Paul Gross. Both are charismatic, energetic and great at the comic as well as the menacing. Smith was great at the comedy but he was never the menacing Doctor who would pop up once in awhile.

Because of course, there is absolutely no chance they would cast a woman or non-white/biracial actor. Just isn’t going to happen.

But first they better figure out a satisfactory way to change the mythology. They are almost out of regenerations.

Comment by Sally – June 1, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the master has already broken the regeneration limit twice i think so they already have precedent in place, they can just follow that.
      robert carlyle is an amazing choice, im currently watching stargate universe and he is just fantastic in it.
      as for smith not being menacing, when his doctor gets serious he gets scary, especially when he goes from whimsical to menacing in a single scene; thats when his talent is really shown.

Comment by Alan – June 1, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I can only watch the show on DVD so I am a bit behind, but have yet to see anything truly scary or menacing in Smith’s performance – Eccleston was the master at it, though.

Mostly I just want an end to the River Song character.

Comment by Sally – June 1, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Carlyle is starring in Once Upon A Time in the US currently.

Comment by Temperance – June 2, 2013 01:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you want to go menacing, how about Jared Harris?

Comment by amharper – June 1, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Holy crap. Paul Gross. That’s aweeesoommmeee!
      (And I agree, they won’t be brave enough to cast a non white dude)

Comment by mia – June 1, 2013 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One name I’m surprised not to have seen is Paul Blackthorne.

Comment by amharper – June 1, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he amazingly enough survived the first season of arrow so he is a little busy right now; somewhere down the line when he is inevitably killed off or has a shown cancelled again (seriously he has the worst luck) then he would make a fine candidate for the 13th doctor.

Comment by Alan – June 1, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good call.

Comment by Suzanne Kari (@suzank45) – June 1, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This would be interesting too except for him being on Arrow right now.

Comment by JC – June 1, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Orlando Bloom

Comment by mostrikes – June 1, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • going young
    Iwan Rheon
    Robert Sheehan
    Grint as mentioned or slightly older and David Harewood
    i loved merlin but really dont think Morgan would be right.

Comment by josh kinnear – June 1, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A Merlin actor would be good, but instead of Colin Morgan, how about Alexander Vlahos? He’s expressed interest on several occasions, and proved to be a solid, nuanced actor in the final season of Merlin.

Comment by Cathie – June 1, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bradley James from Merlin or Jack Gleeson from Game of Thrones.

Comment by Trixy – June 1, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry to see him go. He is one of my favorite Doctor Who.

Comment by James Wilson – June 1, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • colin morgan or benedict cumberbach!!!

Comment by louise – June 1, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Colin Morgan? YES!!!!

Comment by Missy – June 1, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll just say that I’m very happy about the change – the year of 50th Anniversary is a perfect moment to do just that.
    When it comes to my types: personal favourites are Hugh Laurie and Robert Carlyle. But one is too big of a star and the other is too wrapped up with OUAT.
    Female Doctor – Helen Mirren (same story as with Laurie) and Lara Pulver.
    I guess that 12th is going to be relatively young and not very popular at this time, so that leaves me with a couple of names, including Jim Sturgess, Tom Felton, Matthew Lewis, Nicholas Hould and Max Irons. But well, we’re gonna wait and see – but I think that we can stop thinking about names like Hiddleston, Cumberbatch (2 shows ran by Moffat with this guy? No way, BBC!) or Freeman (same story here).

Comment by teisseia@gmail.com – June 1, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Doctor figures out reverse Regeneration and David Tennant walks out of the Tardis. If only.

Comment by RobMF – June 1, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IF ONLY…….but I know it will never happen.

Comment by Elderleigh – June 1, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If they’re going to do that, I’d just as soon have Tom Baker back.

Comment by amharper – June 1, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guy said Colin Morgan from Merlin once we watched last night’s finale. I told him that I love that dude, but no.

I will miss Matt Smith as the Doctor. Oh Doctor, My Doctor.

Comment by Winnie – June 1, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rupert Grint is not the only ginger in England,have more imagination people.I would go with Simon Woods,ginger and he doesn’t look so young like Rupert..I can’t buy Rupert as a Timelord.But to be honest I would prefer someone older more like the classic series.
    A female Doctor would be strange but yet if it was Joanna Lumley it would be F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C

Comment by Patsy – June 1, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They couldn’t do a woman cause so much of the fan base is young boys who would hate it. And they’ll do an unknown, at least relatively, cause they’re constantly trying to keep costs down and established actors are more expensive – think Tennant’s million pounds versus matt’s 200k.

Comment by lucy – June 1, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And yes, we must pander to the misogynists!

Comment by mia – June 1, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Young girls cope just fine with a male Doctor, so their brothers can suck it up and deal if the Doctor were made a woman.

Comment by Ben33 – June 1, 2013 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also no non-brits, again cause of who the primary fan base is. It’s just not big enough in the states.

Comment by lucy – June 1, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As someone from the US, I’d be mad if it were an American. I don’t think any Americans want it to be an American. Part of it’s charm is that he is portrayed with a British accent by someone from the UK.

Comment by RobMF – June 1, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t they already John Hurt is the Doctor?

Comment by Angel – June 1, 2013 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s a past incarnation of The Doctor, but one that wasn’t worthy of using the name The Doctor. We’ll find out what his story is this November, in the 50th Anniversary Special.

Comment by Maggie – June 2, 2013 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking perhaps Richard Coyle or Jack Davenport.

Comment by Krzysztof – June 1, 2013 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hadn’t thought of Jack Davenport, but he’s a good choice.

Comment by Maggie – June 2, 2013 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Richard Coyle has always been my favorite possibility.

Comment by Temperance – June 2, 2013 01:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i dont care that she’s american…..amy acker as the doctor…make it happen moffat.

Comment by courtland – June 1, 2013 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simon Pegg or Ewan McGregor would be my two choices.

Comment by Ana – June 1, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or Jack Davenport – love him!

Comment by Ana – June 1, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A lot of the people mentioned are just too famous to play the Doctor. It will be someone with experience, but not that well known IMO. I’d love to see a black Doctor, but while Idris Elba would be great, it’s unlikely he’d sign up. Ben Wishaw is brilliant and eccentric enough, but again, he has too much of a career already! I’ll lay odds it’ll be someone under 35 who most people will say “WHO???” about.

Comment by Cate53 – June 1, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Tennant and Smith both worked in TV a lot, but weren’t stars yet before Doctor Who. The next Doctor will probably be someone who follows that pattern. It is a star making role for the right actor.

Comment by Maggie – June 2, 2013 12:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post