Matt Smith Leaving Doctor Who at Year's End -- Who Should Helm the TARDIS Next?

Doctor Who Renewed Season 8The Doctor is soon to be out.

Matt Smith and BBC America announced on Saturday that Doctor Who will be in need of a new Time Lord, once this year’s Christmas special wraps.

RELATED | Doctor Who‘s 50th’s Anniversary Special: Why John Barrowman Won’t Appear

Smith — who first portrayed the Doctor in 2010 and will wrap up his run in both the series’ 50th anniversary program (airing November 23) and annual holiday special — shared this statement on BBC America’s website:

Doctor Who has been the most brilliant experience for me as an actor and a bloke, and that largely is down to the cast, crew and fans of the show. I’m incredibly grateful to all the cast and crew who work tirelessly every day, to realise all the elements of the show and deliver Doctor Who to the audience. Many of them have become good friends and I’m incredibly proud of what we have achieved over the last four years.

Having Steven Moffat as show runner write such varied, funny, mind bending and brilliant scripts has been one of the greatest and most rewarding challenges of my career. It’s been a privilege and a treat to work with Steven, he’s a good friend and will continue to shape a brilliant world for the Doctor.”

For more of his farewell note, visit BBC.co.uk.

RELATED | Doctor Who: David Tennant, Billie Piper On Board for 50th Anniversary Special

Moffat in turn issued a statement, saying in part:

“Every day, on every episode, in every set of rushes, Matt Smith surprised me: the way he’d turn a line, or spin on his heels, or make something funny, or out of nowhere make me cry, I just never knew what was coming next. … But great actors always know when it’s time for the curtain call, so this Christmas prepare for your hearts to break, as we say goodbye to number Eleven. Thank you Matt – bow ties were never cooler.

Where does Smith’s take on the Time Lord rank for you amongst all the portrayals? And does anyone have any casting suggestions for the next Doctor?

1. Midori says:

Didn’t they just come out and say he would stick around for another season/series?!

They keep getting younger with the new series, so the next Doctor should be Rupert Grint. Or one of the guys from One Direction.

• Sandra says:

At least The Doctor would finally be ginger.

• slizabeth says:

AHHHHHHHHHHH

• Hannah says:

This made me smile! Although I hope they don’t make him younger. But if they do it must be Rupert Grint!

• CBWBDK1 says:

What is this nonsense about wanting the Doctor to be ginger? It’s utterly ridiculous!

• wheezy says:

Maybe because one of the first lines of both Tennant and Smith were about being ginger.

if I recall correctly:
          Tennant’s Doctor asked Rose if his hair was ginger.
          Smith’s Doctor thought he was a girl because of the longer hair and when he looked at his hair said something along the lines of ‘still not ginger’

• i always tought rupert would be a good doctor … plus , he’s ginger !

• Sarah K says:

that’s what i heard too….. i was almost positive he would leave next year because he said he would. i don’t know….. this is just so sudden.

• Tess says:

He did just say he was staying for another season as was Jenna-Louise Coleman, so yeah this is sort of out of the blue. Then again, it’s possible he was suggesting to Moffett and others with the show that he might want to go during the next season and then they said it would be better to do it before the start of a new season and convinced him to only sign on through the end of this year… I actually wonder if he will actually act in the Christmas Special beyond just showing him regenerating (it would make for a better 50th Anniversary show finale to have him start to regenerate than to push it into the Christmas Special, no?) like how David Tennant took over for Christopher Eccleston in 2005’s Christmas Special – Eccleston was technically in it only at the very beginning when they showed the regeneration; it’s possible they do that with Matt Smith and whoever takes over the role…so they take over starting with the Christmas Special rather than starting with a new season…

I haven’t the foggiest idea who should take over though. It might be cool to see him finally become a ginger, if just for the initial laugh, but I doubt they would get someone like Rupert Grint to take the role. More likely they will go for a lesser known actor since they’ll prefer someone who will stick around for a while rather than a known actor who might not be willing to tackle the role for a couple of years.

• TVDIVA says:

He will be in the Christmas special because that is when (at least in the reboot) the Doctor regenerates into his next version.

• mattshair says:

ther was meant to be a s8 with matt but, why change it

• Sarah K says:

honestly i never really liked 11 to begin with. but the issue is…. with him leaving so soon means that we’ve finally arrived to the last regeneration of the doctor. this is it…. the last doctor. and yes i must agree i’d love to see a ginger be the doctor… that would be hilarious.

• Chelle says:

In an episode of the Sarah Smith show, Matt Smith guested as the Doctor and addressed the fact that he doesn’t just have 1 regen left, but many.

• Aaron D says:

Even if the doctor only had 12 regenerations that means that there would be 13 doctors. But I wonder if they will stop at 13 anyway

• Alan says:

nope, its 12 regenerations which means 13 incarnations.

• Paul Penna says:

Yeah, but….

(Spoilers if you haven’t seen the last episode from this series yet)

John Hurt has now been introduced as a previously unknown incarnation of the Time Lord usually known as the Doctor.

So, Doctor number twelve will be his final life.

And yeah, the Doctor said in a Sarah Jane episode that he has many more lives but the Doctor lies. The thirteen lives thing has been said by the Doctor and many other Time Lords.

This next life will be the final life of his regeneration cycle.

Of course, in the new series and the old it has been shown that Time Lords can gain new regeneration cycles. Hopefully they’ll make this into an interesting story point.

• Tess says:

In the episode “Let’s Kill Hitler” River gave all of her regenerations to him when she saved his life after nearly killing him. That was why she couldn’t regenerate in the library when she died in order to spare the Doctor and he had to upload her to the computer in order to “save” her.

• Aaron W says:

He was supposed to have died when he met River Song in “Let’s Kill Hitler”, but she gave him all of her regeneration energy. She only had 2 regens that we know of, although at least one more is possible. I think that would successfully allow for more regens for the Doctor if necessary. Else you could explain since he is the only time lord left, his people are no longer drawing the regen energy so his supply is larger, potentially infinite. Two ways right there to keep things going.

• Hurding Katz says:

Paul (above) makes the assumption that the John Hurt version is a stand-alone edition. His could be a younger or older version of a known Doctor (an untold story — which was hinted at). This still leave us with the time before the Doctor stole the TARDIS (version 1), or version 8 after the Fox pilot (which would cover the Time War), as I’ve mentioned before. Another possibility is the time between the sudden shift (for us) from Colin Baker (6) to Sylvester McCoy (7).

Gaps have been exploited before, most notably for version 4, which gave us the story that introduced Leela.

(Note, also, that a few gaps — including one of about 100 years — were carefully left in the current Doctor’s history in the past two seasons.)

• tamara says:

Ok, now that’s a great idea!
      Rupert Grint for the Doctor!!

• Lucy says:

Rupert Grint would be amaaazing as the Doctor, never thought of him to play the role but I imagine he would be incredible! Can’t wait for a new doctor!

• James says:

Although Rupert Grint will always be well known as Ron Weasley from the Harry Potter films, having him play the Doctor would give so much positive publicity and bring in a lot of new fans. At least if he got it, nobody would write the headline “Doctor Who??” as they nearly all did when Matt Smith took over. Everybody would be patting Moffatt on the back for landing such a huge star.

• Alan says:

it shouldnt be about landing a star, it should be about getting the best person for the job. sure all the headlines said “doctor who?” when smith was cast but he was the best man for the job and has been utterly fantastic as the doctor and is now a star himself thanks to his amazing work.

• Lauren says:

Rupert Grint is in an upcoming American show, Super Clyde. Might be difficult for him to do both.

• tamara says:

Oh, and I’m glad he’s leaving. I was not looking forward to another season with Matt. I was getting really tired. Although that probably has to do with the writing, cause even though I really like the new companion, the 2nd half of this last season has been kinda bad.

Time for a change.

• akcelt says:

Agreed!!!

• Dave says:

It’s definitely not Matt. I haven’t had as much of a problem with this past season as most but Matt has shown time and time again when you give him good material he is great. Just look at The Doctor’s Wife, Nightmare in Silver, The Impossible Astronaut,etc. I am going miss Matt as the Doctor but I knew it had to come sometime. Even though they are changing Doctors your probably not going to get anything really different until Moffet steps down.

• Nicola says:

I don’t think it’s Steven Moffit either, I think it’s the combination of the two of them. Matt (while a great actor) is too frenetic for Steven’s doctor. Steven needs a doctor who is wicked smart, tortured, but with a warm heart under the tough shell hidden behind a dry wit. He needs to be aloof and also capable of being utterly ruthless for the greater good. He needs pathos. He needs Benedict Cumberbatch.

• Dave says:

I disagree. Most (not all) but most of the episodes Moffet has written have been great along with Matt being great in them (The Eleventh Hour, a Christmas Carol, the impossible astronaut, etc.). I don’t think Moffet is the greatest show runner and that’s the problem. He is a fantastic writer though.

• El duderino says:

He needs Damien Molony! No one plays tortured soul quite like Molony. His portrayal of vampire Hal in Being Human is funny, heartbreaking and chilling at the same time. Amazing actor.

• Lois says:

I agree about Damien Molony. He’s an amazing actor and being The Doctor would make casting agents and directors take notice of his talent.

• Dick Whitman says:

If Dr. Who is turned into a big budget motion picture sometime in the next 15 to 20 years than of course Benedict Cumberbatch would be the ideal choice for the part. But several Sherlock Holmes a year is all the TV we’ll be seeing from the increasingly popular Mr. Cumberbatch in the foreseeable future. Rupert Grint is the popular and obvious choice but perhaps they will go for the shock value and regenerate the Dr. into a female, perhaps even a ginger female.

• Betsy says:

definitely the writing. matt is phenomenal with the right material, but I was definitely tiring of him this season because the writing quality went to the devil.

• Tom Charles says:

Grint sure, One Direction, no.

• Midori says:

I was joking about One Direction.

However if they do go younger Grint all the way!

• Tom Charles says:

phew, thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster! The only thing that would be worse than one of those twits would be Bieber like that April Fool’s gag saying Bieber’s playing Solo’s son

• Aaron W says:

I think it should be a woman. I am not calling Dame Helen Mirram into service, but there are so many great British female actors. I would love to see what one of them could do with a deep character and good writing. If she were a ginger, so much the better! A red-headed Emma Watson?

• JT says:

As much as I like Rupert Grint, got to say no on that one. And please keep the guys from One Direction away from Doctor Who.

• John says:

They said the same thing before Tennant left too I think.

• snowowl2012 says:

Jason Hughes from Midsomer Murders would be nice.

• Erin says:

My number one choice would be Richard Ayoade; I think he’d be perfect!!

• Jackie H. says:

RUPERT! GINGER!

• Melody Paris says:

Actually, that’s not a bad suggestion. I could see Grint taking on the role. Not my first choice, but not a bad one.

• Ben33 says:

And then when it’s his turn to leave, we can cast a five year old. No thanks – Grint can be Doctor in 20 years and I won’t complain, but it’s time the Doctor went older again.

• canadian ninja says:

Given the direction the comments are taking re:Rupert Grint – I have to wonder if there is some VFTW prank going on OR are people high?

• TVDIVA says:

I think we all read the same article saying they were preparing for season eight and both Matt and Jenna would be back. Sigh. Sob. At least they do a great job of choosing fantastic people to play the Doctor and his companions.

• Lisa says:

I thought I read the same thing, too, which is why I was surprised by this announcement.

• Bob says:

Moffat won’t pick anyone remotely famous. Too much baggage coming into the role. So, yes, that leaves out Hugh Laurie and Benedict Cumberbatch (who already said he wouldn’t do it).

2. ajintexas says:

Hugh Laurie

3. Cate Amos says:

I think Jamie Bamber is available now that “Monday Mornings” has been axed.

• laura meakin says:

I think jamie is heading up sky one’s new show The Smoke set in london about the fire service starts later this year. I might have wrong jamie check @skyoneinsider

4. Al says:

Rupert Grint should be next

5. Anna says:

Damian Lewis would be great, for sure! The Doctor needs to finally be ginger! (I’d also love Jamie Bamber though!)

6. Charissa says:

I loved David Tennant so much in the role that I thought I would never be able to warm up to Matt Smith, but he kind of snuck up on me and now I love him just as much as I did Tennant. He continually impressed me with how well he was able to capture the age of the Doctor; despite being the youngest actor to play the role he really made you believe he was the oldest. He brought a lot to the role, and I am truly going to miss him. The hardest part of being a fan of this show is knowing you will be saying goodbye to actors you love over and over again. While it’s heartbreaking to think that next year I’ll be watching a completely new Doctor, it’ll be exciting to see what that person brings to the role and in what ways he is different, yet the same old Doctor. Thank you, Matt Smith for making me fall in love with the Eleventh Doctor and showing me that change isn’t always a bad thing.

• Jacobisraelharris says:

So sad matt was my favourite Dr. But heartbroken and sad excited for November anniversary special and Christmas special cant wait for the new Dr. Gonna hate for not being matt but like the rest will end up falling in love with his portrayal

• Alan says:

cant wait to see the next set of people who cant handle change complaining about how smith will be gone; seriously there are still people complaining about how tennant is gone, you think they would have gotten over themselves by now. as much as i love smith and dont want him to go that will provide almost as much entertainment to me as anything they do on the show.

• Jenne says:

Just how I feel, and now I’m just as sad as when Tennant left. Hoping for someone as good as these too.

• mattshair says:

Agreeing with you there

• Rachel says:

THIS. Thank you. I’m so excited for the change, the show stays so fresh, but Matt Smith was wonderful, and such a gracious person.

7. Marousj says:

Marina Sirtis said she’d love to be the 12th Doctor! Would be interesting!

8. Meghan says:

I’ve only been a fan of the series for a few years and I’ve only really watched the New Who, but he ranks about a tenth of a point below Tennant, which is saying a lot since I hated Smith at first. Now, I hate to see him go and will probably strongly dislike the new Doctor for half a season, though I’ll still keep watching.

9. Bowtiesarecool says:

Not shocking, but still a little sad.
    As long as it’s not an American we’ll be all good. :p

• Christopher Pickard says:

That seems pretty prejudiced. :/

• Betsy says:

I HOPE you’re trolling, however poorly.

• badpenny says:

Why should he be trolling? It does seem prejudice. We live in an age where Superman is played by a Brit. America is full of British and Australian actors pretending to be American. Why can’t an American pretend to be British? If the person is right for the job that’s all that matters. Accents can be faked. It’s the interpretation of the character that’s important.

• dee123 says:

Boo hoo. It will NEVER happen. We will get a black or a female or a gay Doctor before we get an American one.

• badpenny says:

What’s the “boo hoo” for? I’m not crying. I just think it’s stupid to be prejudice. And BTW, your differentiating, black, female, gay, and American speaks more about your mindset then anything else. I personally don’t care if they give me a black female lesbian doctor played by an American. As long as I enjoy the series I don’t care about the particulars. Someone’s color, sex, sexual orientation, or nationality means nothing to me.

10. So much for that midnight embargo.

11. LIE TO ME* LOVE says:

Hugh Laurie, Imelda Staunton or Craig Ferguson should get it.

12. AnaB says:

Ben Whishaw would make a fantastic Doctor!

13. Stephen Frye or Helena Bonham Carter

14. Dominique says:

Rupert Grint would be a good one, cause the Doctor really just wants to be ginger. Also, I think Rupert could reall ypull it off.
    On the other hand; Idris Elba would be fantastic as well.
    I don’t want them to cast someone who’s pretty famous, so as much as I adore them; no Tom Hiddleston or Richard Armitage. Even though I’m more than sure they could pull it off, the great thing about Doctor Who is that they always cast actors who weren’t on the top of the list (at the time).

• It depends on what you call “top of the list”. Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant were famous and successful in the UK when they were cast.

• Dominique says:

by “top of the list”, i’m talking about actors like the ones I mentioned; Tom Hiddleston, Richard Armitage. I mean no disrespect, I just mean that these are actors who are pretty big overseas, everyone knows them. I know Tennant and Eccleston already made it in the UK, so I’m talking internationally.

• Erin says:

I think Elba seems a bit too serious for the Doctor. I think someone like Richard Ayoade would be amazing

15. Patti says:

Tim Minchin

16. I know it won’t happen since he’s too big, but I would love for Tom Hiddleston to become the next Doctor. He’d be perfect! Also, I think tumblr would probably explode if that happened.

17. Nessie says:

It’s possible that I’m the only one who would like to see someone who isn’t terribly well known again in the roll. Doctor Who is great at building people’s careers instead of using well established actors. But no matter who ends up filling the role, I’m sure they’ll be perfect in their own way, as everyone who’s taken on the reigns has been great so far.

• Just because in the US you didn’t know who Christopher Eccleston or David Tennant were before seeing them in Doctor Who it doesn’t mean they didn’t have recognised careers in the UK by then.

• Nessie says:

I watch alot of UK TV, so I’ve seen both of them before they took on the role. Mostly I was commenting on alot of the posts here where people want to see big movie actors or people who’ve been in long running TV shows take over the role.

• Dayna says:

Of course Americans knew Eccleston! He was in Gone in 60 Seconds, for Pete’s sake!! (Lol I’m kidding…sort of, he really was in it, but I am probably the only one who remembers that.)

• Ciara says:

I agree with you.
      A well-known actor would be compared too much to his other roles. A new face would be great because the show builds on the new face and new characteristics of the Doctor.
      It’s sad Matt is leaving, jusr when I really started liking him as the Doctor :(

18. Bradburry says:

Nicholas Hoult

19. mostrikes says:

Colin Morgan would be perfect for the next Dr. Who. We know he is a great actor. He can be serious funny and quirky, plus Merlin is over now.

• Zum says:

He was Jethro.

• mostrikes says:

And Bradley James as the doctor’s companion. Now that would be a neat turn around!

• Melody Paris says:

I don’t hate the suggestion, but call me ridiculous, I’m still hoping for a Merlin film or something – I need Arthur to see the difference he made! I know, completely and totally unlikely. Still, a girl has to dream big!

• Gman says:

I say Michael Fassbender he is charming and well establish actor also he is great when it comes to the emotional part of being the Doctor he can pull it off. Also he can be the one who is John hurt doctor who caused the genocide on gallifrey, Its time the Time War was explained they should do a big budget movie explaining about the time war. Remember the 12th Doctor will me more darker don’t forget he is also known as The Valeyard.

20. laura meakin says:

I think someone older is needed we’ve had a few younger ones so an older one wouldn’t do any harm (35yrs upward) no kids! If I could I would ban anyone from one direction!

21. As long as it’s not a woman, a non-British or an old man, and it is a good actor, it can be fine. The pity is that Moffat is not stepping down as showrunner too.

• slizabeth says:

These are pretty much the only things on my wish list as well. No Americans! (I’m American.)

• akcelt says:

Thank you! Moffat has ruined the show for me. I’m so tired of the never ending confusion and impossible mysteries that always result in the Doctor stepping into established timelines. Give me Bad Wolf and Torchwood!!!

• Alan says:

you mean vague nothingness which doesnt build up to anything in a competent way at all, no i would much rather having ongoing storylines that build on top of each other than vague references that amount to almost nothing and have conclusions that come out of nowhere.

• With you, Alan. I much prefer Moffat’s style, that is worlds above in terms of depth, character, story and guest characters, although this season has been kind of more Daviesish, with weird non-clever nonsensical solutions and The Doctor saving the day with a speech on more than one occasion. That Bad Wolf stuff left me feeling cold. Rose gets superpowers but they kill her, Nine saves her so she loses her powers, then she has powers and she can write a phrase that has no meaning throughout time to remind her that she does have powers? Or something? The hell?

• Emily says:

I hated the Bad Wolf thing, but I’m also not a fan of Moffat’s I’m-too-clever-for-you build up, only to end in a overly convoluted resolution that’s really just smoke and mirrors. The ideas are there, but the execution is forever lacking.

• Sam says:

What’s wrong with The Doctor being a woman?

• Nessie says:

I don’t think there would be anything wrong with a woman in the role, but personally I view the Doctor as male, so I would rather see a male continue in the role. Even though yes, it’s possible for him to regenerate into a female.

• Lauren says:

The Doctor sometimes goes back in time to the past. History has not been kind to women for the most part. People won’t listen to woman even though she clearly knows whatever is going on and trying to save their lives.

Plus, I just like my Doctor male. Why is that a bad thing?

22. Ray S. says:

It has got to be Benedict Cumberbatch! If not him then how about Colin Morgan, who recently finished playing Merlin?!

• mostrikes says:

It has been long enough that he could come back as the Doctor.The irish accent would be awesome!

• mostrikes says:

I think Colin Morgan would be awesome as the Doctor.

• Amy says:

Not Ben, much as I’d LOVE to see that, I much prefer that he keep doing Sherlock (he couldn’t do both). Colin would be wonderful!

• Paloma says:

It couldn’t be Benedict because he already is working too much to do Sherlock in a timely fashion. If he were The Doctor too, we’d get an episode about every fifth year. I like the suggestion of Rupert Grint. It would be interesting to have a doctor that young, too.

• James says:

Don’t forget either that after his amazing performance in the second of the new Star Trek movies, Hollywood are giving him scripts right left and centre. It won’t be him sadly although he would be the best Doctor ever.

23. M says:

Rupert Grint! :) Then the Doctor can finally be ginger! Plus, RG would make an excellent Doctor!

24. Flaw says:

Nicholas Hoult is a bit young but I think he´d make a decent doctor. Idris Elba is a bit old but likewise. I don´t know how good Rupert Grint may be, but at least he would be ginger then.

25. Mo says:

I knew it had to be coming soon but I’m not sure I’m ready for this. Nope, definitely not ready.

26. Give me Idris Elba or Paterson Joseph. Leaning more towards Idris Elba because he’s all sorts of cool.

I’m hoping they don’t go YOUNGER again. That was fun with Matt Smith but we need to move towards the other side of the spectrum.

27. Tom Charles says:

If we want to go female…………would Keira Knightley do TV?

28. Tom Charles says:

or what about Chiwetel Ejiofor or Lennie James?

29. Johnathon says:

It should be frankie boyle.

• Ellie says:

Oh god. Just… the horror.
      I mean, it would be incredibly funny, but no longer family friendly (if you know what I mean).
      There’s a reason he doesn’t do Mock the Week anymore.

30. June says:

BEN WISHAW. I just need Ben Wishaw on my TV again, and he would be soooo perfect and quirky!!!!

31. Lola says:

I think it should be a young actor again like Aidan turner or alan tudyk they would be perfect I want to see Aidan play the doctor it would be awsome but I will miss matt he was sooo goood he should of stayed

• amharper says:

Despite playing an Englishman in “A Knight’s Tale”, Tudyk is American, so would probably cause riots if he were given the part.

• Tess says:

I love me some Aidan Turner but I just don’t see him being quirky enough to fit the role, plus he’s doing movies now so I doubt he’d go back to tv just yet. However, seeing how so many have mentioned Colin Morgan in spite of his appearance as Jethro then I’d like to throw out Russell Tovey even though he was Midshipman Alonso Frame. His name had come up actually the last time they were casting before they picked Matt Smith… or, sticking with other cast members from the now defunct “Being Human”, how about Damien Molony? I don’t think he’s ever done the show in a bit role or anything so that might just work…

32. John Berggren says:

I’m only just now adapting to him. I remember many of his adventures like David Tennant had them.

33. ggny says:

Rupert Grint is pretty great choice

34. akcelt says:

Hugh Laurie would be interesting. I think it’s time for an older doctor. What is Patrick Stewart doing?

• amharper says:

Trying NY pizza-by-the-slice for the first time, apparently. While I would have wholeheartedly agreed with this choice when the series was first re-booted eight years ago, and as much as I hate how ageist this sounds, he might be a touch too old at nearly 73.

35. Ashley says:

Here are my top choices
    1. Benedict cumbercatch
    2 Martin freeman
    3. Colin firth
    4. Micheal fassbender

• mostrikes says:

My top choices
      1. Colin Morgan
      2. Benedict Cumberbatch
      3. Marvin Freeman
      4. Hugh Laurie

• asniech says:

Colin Morgan would be awesome, but he did already play Jethro in Midnight. I guess he looks a bit different now so they could pretend it wasn’t him.

• Melody Paris says:

So what, Freema played a character that died in a previous episode and shows up in the next episode (by order, technically it was the next season) alive and well and playing Martha.

• Ciara says:

That’s because Maratha had a cousin working in Canary Wharf that she talks about in Smith and Jones. So she is actually playing Martha’s cousin not Martha in Doomsday.

• Dreamrose says:

I agree with Melody Paris – just because an actor previously played a role on the show isn’t a disqualifier. Colin Baker played the Time Lord Commander Maxil in the Fifth Doctor serial “The Arc of Infinity” before going on to play the Sixth Doctor.

Making Martha the cousin of Adeola (who suffered from the dreaded Identical Relative Syndrome) was merely an acknowledgement that yes, they were both played by Freema Agyeman. They could’ve gotten away without saying anything at all about it, to be honest.

• Sheana Bowman says:

Benedict would make a great Doctor or Colin or Bradley from Merlin.

• melissa christensan says:

Peeps, no-one at the BBC can afford to pay ‘top’ actors like BC; BW; RG or ‘House’ -Tennant was doing v little -didn’t even get a spot on Scottish shows! Became pretty famous during and after. It will be a bloke; an American;.

• Maggie says:

My top choices:

Damien Molony
      Idris Elba
      Ben Whishaw
      Richard Armitage
      Rupert Grint (and he’s ginger!)

36. Johnathon says:

Frankie boyle!

37. Wish they could recast former ones…

38. Mr Man says:

Benedict Cumberbatch would be an amazing doctor

39. Ashley says:

Or
    Colin Morgan and Bradley James

40. ecklefecken says:

next Doctor should be an older actor, always rated John Hannah.

41. Johnathon says:

My top choices would be
    1.frankie boyle
    2.benedict cumberbatch
    3.simon pegg
    4.milton jones
    5.russell howard

• amharper says:

+1 for Simon Pegg

• wooster182 says:

Simon Pegg was in the first season. He’d be awesome, but I don’t think that would work.

• 23553 says:

Both Karen Gillan and Freema Agyema had small roles before they became companions, I don’t think anyone would complain about Simon Pegg going on. If they could get him, that would be amazing.

42. J says:

I think Matthew Lewis would be a great addition to the show.

43. Ella says:

Please not someone too young. And please NOT Laurie!
    Robert Downey Jr would be cool…I know it’s not gonna happen… just saying it would be cool.

44. The Writer says:

Not too young. Any younger than Matt Smith and it’s going to start looking like Grange Hill.

45. Gene says:

Was John Hurt a past or future Doctor when revealed. I wasn’t sure. If future then he could be the 12th.

• Dominique says:

Past. He’s a regeneration the Doctor didn’t want to remember. More will be explained in the anniversary

• Leigh says:

That’s the leading theory and makes the most sense but I haven’t yet herd it confirmed, which means Hurt *could* be a future Doctor. I hope he isn’t.

• Hurding Katz says:

Whatever the John Hurt version did, it was not done “in the name of the Doctor.” I’m going with the first Doctor before he took the name and the TARDIS, or sometime during the 8th version (the Time War regeneration)–there has to be an explanation of why stuff that should be on Gallifrey is now contained within the TARDIS.

46. Mel says:

Rupert Grint would be great as the next Doctor!

47. Emily says:

Can´t they have a female doctor? and then a male companion. or a female one. It´s really time.

48. Ric says:

Ben Whishaw, Nigel Harman, russel Tovey, Terrance stamp, Jeremy irons.

• Melody Paris says:

I like the Russel Tovey suggestion, I can get behind that.

• Snoz says:

Russel Tovey played Allonzo in in the Titanic Christmas Special and in the final minutes of The End of Time Part 2.
        Mind you Colin Baker played a Time Lord Guard who shot The Doctor in Arc of Infinity.

• Lois says:

Tovey auditioned for #11. He said he was glad he didn’t get the job, as it’s too high-profile and he didn’t want the pressure.

49. mawhi says:

Richard Ayoade? I know nothing about Doctor Who, but he seems the type.