Will Revolution Clean Up Its Act? Mad Men Meets Alien? A Smash-ing Bunheads Nod? And More Qs

Popular TV Shows 2013We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Arrested Development, Revolution, Psych and Hannibal!

1 | Can we get an Orphan Black buddy comedy spin-off featuring Felix and Alison, à la Will & Grace?

2 | Anyone else catch the Mad Men hair department’s subtle Alien homage? Did a young H.R. Giger do Joan’s ‘do? Also, do you suspect series creator Matt Weiner snickered when he approved the synopsis for this past Sunday: “Joan goes to the beach”? And can other New Yorkers attest that those passing sirens were juuust a bit loud given how high up Don and Megan live?

RELATED | Spoilers on NCIS, True Blood, Once, Revolution, Rookie Blue, Burn Notice and More

3 | Are Netflix’s Arrested Development episodes perhaps best experienced as a “Spot the Celebrity Cameo!” game?

4 | Did Sutton Foster’s Tony nomination during the Smash finale make you miss Bunheads all over again? And how convenient that all the musical awards seemed to be handed out one after another? And who wants to start the petition for a midseason spinoff sitcom called BOBBY!, starring scene-stealing scamp Wesley Taylor? (Or is there a better character around which one could build a new/improved series?)

Popular TV Shows 20135 | Will coil guns keep blasting people to bloody, gloppy smithereens when Revolution becomes an 8 o’clock show this fall? Where exactly are Level 12’s “guardians” getting their food from if they’ve been sealed underground? And has NBC’s promo department learned nothing about restraint in the years since spoiling Brandon Routh’s Chuck comeback? It feels like they’ve now shown us the whole Revolution finale.

6 | Was all the outrage over Adam Levine’s muttered “I hate this country” during The Voice results show blown out of proportion (hint: yes!), or did you actually find it offensive?

| With “Suit of Armor,” “Tan & Shirtless,” “Drunkenly Obsessed With Fantasy Suite,” “Failed Dance Dip,” “Made My Own Jacket” and “Magician” all showing up to woo Bachelorette Desiree in the season premiere, were you preparing for Chris Harrison to pop out of the bushes, reveal the whole opening hour was a prank and then bring out the real suitors?

8 | With an eye on The Glades‘ season opener: Can we please hereby declare a moratorium on TV procedurals doing a “ghost hunters” storyline? (And what other old chestnuts should be retired?)

9 | When the mother of So You Think You Can Dance‘s sibling salsa pair started crying with pride over her kids’ audition, did you tear up, too? Did Nigel Lythgoe start practicing his lamp-related double-entendres the moment producers told him a lovely lady would be performing with a shade prop? And wasn’t it a wee bit disconcerting how many times Mary Murphy and Nigel commented on the quality/beauty of auditioners’ faces during the Boston episode? They do realize Tyra Banks isn’t about to hand over America’s Next Top Model to her rivals at Fox, right?

10 | Amanda Bynes kinda sorta has to land the new Two and a Half Men role, doesn’t she?

RELATED | Spoilers on True Blood, Vampire Diaries, Sons of Anarchy, Suits and More!

Popular TV Shows 201311 | Wait, so General Hospital‘s Roger Howarth is now playing Mark Pellegrino? Did not see that one coming!

12 | Was it irony — or poor planning — that the Psych season finale left Juliet’s professional status unchanged, when cast member Maggie Lawson’s Season 8 presence is somewhat up in the air?

13 | Did CBS really think The American Baking Competition was a better title than any variation on The Great British Bake-Off, the hit UK show from which it spun off? Was there not a single employee of the network that noticed the new show’s acronym is ABC?

14 | How could Inside the Actors Studio‘s 250th episode completely edit out the female participant on the closing panel, leaving her silently sitting there with no explanation of who she is? Also on that note: Why didn’t they identify what Bradley Cooper’s buddies/fellow panelists did on The Place Beyond the Pines? Was one the director? Did the other write the film? Was the third Coop’s gofer…? Come on, producers!

15 | On Thursday morning, did you fear that one of Today‘s hosts wouldn’t make it out of the Tough Mudder course alive?

16 | Did seeing Hannibal’s Dr. Lecter “without a face” make him even scarier than you thought possible? And now that the drama has earned a well-deserved second season, can we do something (pump up the audio, maybe?) about making the title character’s lines a bit easier to understand?

17 | How did Rookie Blue‘s Traci not know about Sam and Marlo? Did they never kiss at the bar before? Or did Traci just never leave the office?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: 20ish Questions, Burning Questions, Commentary

1. Amanda says:

YES to all of 4!!! I miss Bunheads, Tony’s never run that conveniently, and I will miss Bobby tremendously and totally vote for a spinoff about him!

2. Nick says:

Every yes in the world to number 1!! I still can’t fathom how the actress can play such distinct characters all at once. I have to remind myself all the time that Tatiana is playing all these roles!

3. Isn’t that a picture of the Alien Queen from the Alien movies?

• Kvivik says:

Yeah.

2. Anyone else catch the Mad Men hair department’s subtle Alien homage?

Look at Joan’s hair, look at queen Alien. Even I, who do not like either show/movie, thought the resemblance was awesome.

4. Meg says:

6. If venture to say a lot of people say “I hate this country” when one of their favorites gets voted off a reality competition show.

13. Isn’t American Bake-Off the fictional baking competition show on Grey’s Anatomy?

• HeatherC says:

It was actually the fictional show that Violet and Cooper watched religiously on Private Practice. =)

• Kvivik says:

I was going to say the same about Adam’s comments. It was misconstrued and WAY over hyped.

I too hate the Voice voting public for booting Judith Allen, but I did not take his words literally as it was obvious that he was ticked off.

Everyone makes stupid comments when they are angry at some point, he just made his on camera in front of a couple million people.

• Amanda says:

Exactly my thought about Adam’s comments. I read the article and basically went “he … hates the country for the way they voted.” I’m really confused as to why anyone would even think that it meant he literally hates this country.

• Lauren says:

Agreed. I heard him say it live, thought nothing of it (understanding it to mean he was irritated with the voting patterns), and then was shocked to see the next day that others were calling him out on it. I took no offense, and was surprised that others had.

• KevyB says:

Because he has tattoos and sings rock and has probably smoked some of that mary-ju-anna! If the country singer had said it, those “patriots” would have tried to understand. In his apology he should have said, “I meant to say, ‘I hate the people in this country who didn’t vote for this person… AND the effing morons who complained that I said it in the first place!'”

• Erin says:

Omg yeah it is. American Bake Off is the name of the show Calzona was watching.

5. JC says:

Can Revolution please get back to being a show about no power and very few bullets, rather than a show where people get power when it’s most convenient, and seem to have an unlimited supply of bullets?

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL! Well people complained about the lack of story behind them having no power and sword fights in the beginning so yes, it’s true, you can’t please them all :-)

• Alichat says:

I never had an issue with the sword fighting. Although, I did think there needed to be more hand-to-hand, knife, and archery involved. And I found it odd that steam energy had not been utilized by anyone in the 15-17 years since the blackout. (or any alternative fuels…..veggie oil cars….alcool….solar energy?) It was nice that they gave steam technology to Atlanta, but it just seemed weird that the Monroe Republic didn’t have any of that until that train episode. I agree with JC though. The story has been inconsistent all season. (These last two episodes have been high on action and weak on story imo.) The series began with only the military being allowed to have guns, and using them was a big thing because there aren’t alot of bullets. Now suddenly, everyone has a automatic weapon and an endless supply of bullets. And apparently gas in the world of Revolution doesn’t degrade. 15 years in a rusty old truck/plane/car/boat, and it’s a-ok. Crystal clear, no particulates, and fires up immediately. And there seems to be alot of it….no evaporation! It’s magic!

• wrstlgirl says:

I agree that there are some serious plot holes, etc. but if you analyze any television show you can find ridiculous scenarios so why do it. I’m in for the wild ride that it is intended to be.

• Carla Krae says:

Only the the military in the *Monroe Republic* was allowed to have guns. Monroe runs it like a 3rd-world dictatorship. What wealth it has is with the government and Monroe has put it all toward war with his neighbors and residents. The Georgia Federation is rich, affording steam power, trade with Europe, and lots of weapons. And treats its citizens better. And remember, the nano bots have blocked all electricity, so a lot of options we would employ in our world couldn’t exist.

6. cjeffery7 says:

1) they’re like jack and karen!
    5) hydroponics. you can see greenery in the “establishing shot” or “reveal” or whatever you’d call it when they got taken to see Aaron from ’24’, er, i mean, whatever his name is in this show. with all the tech in the tower they could probably very easily grow food.

7. Daisy says:

8. Absolutely. I love Glades but I fast forwarded through a lot of this episode.
    16. I never game Hannibal a chance because I was so certain it was going to get cancelled. I guess I have to go back and start watching now.

8. SL says:

That’s so true about Hannibal-I have to turn on closed captioning for this show to understand what Mads Milkkelsen is saying

9. wrstlgirl says:

The new OLTL characters on General Hospital are awful. They should have just gotten rid of them altogether if they couldn’t keep their original characters. Horrible idea bring them back as new peeps.

• dude says:

GH NEEDS Roger Howarth in any form!

• Jen says:

Agreed that they need Roger Howarth in any form! But I am nervous about how they are going to be able to use him long term since it’s going to be hard to redeem Franco. I miss Todd…but I’d miss RH even more if he were gone, so I’ll stick with it!

• wrstlgirl says:

I love RH too but Franco was a complete psycho nutcase and now redeeming him as just “misunderstood” is a slap in the face to the viewers and to James Franco who played the character so beautifully. They should have found another way to bring Roger back in because this is crap :-)

• Jen says:

I agree. I don’t think it’s plausible, even on a soap, to call Franco misunderstood. I wish they had just brought RH in as a completely new character with no family ties right away. Here’s hoping that the writers know this too and have something else up their sleeves.

• Kvivik says:

I am totally dissappointed in all three so far.
      Michael Easton’s character needs to do something other than mumble and scowl.
      Kristen Alderson’s character needs to not be a whining little brat…. I’m hoping that will change when reunited with her ‘dad’ Franco. (On OLTL I always loved the chemistry between Roger and Kristen as father and daughter, stoked to see what happens here).
      If Franco can be redeemed, Roger is the guy to play him. After watching him play Todd from scum-sucking-rapist through all of the ups and downs of Todd’s life, Roger was fantastic at showing the pain, confusion and growth that made the character redeemable, while still having issues with people around him.
      I’m wanting to see more of what they do with Franco and Kiki before I make a full judgement.

10. BTM says:

13: My immediate thought was of another ABC of Baking: Amy’s Baking Company, that place that had the Internet meltdown.

11. dude says:

17. Exactly what I thought! Assuming they’ve been dating for a while, it doesn’t add up that she was completely clueless but maybe she is just so focused on work after Jerry’s death.

• Maggie says:

I thought the same thing, especially when she mentioned to Chris last night that work is the only way she can cope with everything that’s happened. I think she probably saw something, but it just didn’t register. sidebar: I loved Oliver being Andy’s cheerleader last night, he’s such a great character and Matt Gordon is a fantastic actor.

• dude says:

Right? So cute. They’ve never played up Oliver/Andie as friends as much as they should have so hopefully that continues. I loved when he volunteered to be her partner.

• Jules says:

Sam here as well, they also kissed at the station, so Traci would have been able to catch that in the 6 months.. but maybe she’s too distracted by work to notice

12. Elyse says:

yes yes yes yes to #1! i love the Felix/Alison friendship on Orphan Black!!!

13. Mike R. says:

I think Adams Levine flub was purely frustration, was it slightly tasteless,probably, but he just lost two of his best singers, I’d be frustrated too.

14. GTS says:

9. I think the judges were trying to say that the contestants showed a lot of emotion… Or they are thinking about how many people will vote for them based on their looks.

15. Laquisha says:

Why are we still talking about Smash? It got cancelled.

16. leigh says:

I don’t think Adam Levine “hates” this country and people are taking it as. I think it was more a knock at the people for being wrong in not voting his people through. Or he was saying “I hate country” and the this just got mixed in. But he should be more careful of what he says if he doesn’t want to get in more hot water. And Roger howarth and Franco was soooooooooo hard to watch. It was awkward. I hope GH fixes this issue quickly or this whole mess with the three oltl stars would be for nothing.

17. Kathleen says:

#9 – They are talking about a dancer’s abilty to emote during the performace – using the correct facial expressions can make or break a performance. When a technical dancer performs with “dead fish face” it is distracting to the beauty of the performance.

18. Amber says:

On the psych question, I don’t think anyone knew of the pilot when it was written. It was filmed a long time ago. My question is for USA Network: why wait 7 months to air the musical episode that belongs in with season 7? And please, just admit season 8 is the final season so I can begin preparing now please.

• Katrinka says:

Completely agree with Amber about wanting to know ahead of time if Season 8 is indeed the final one for Psych. I will be able to sit back & enjoy Burn Notice next week because USA was kind enough to tell us in advance that this will be the end.

• Andy says:

I too would rather USA make the announcement now. Give us fans some time to prepare emotionally because I think it’s going to be needed. And I’m wondering where we’ll be getting the musical episode: on season 7 DVD or season 8’s? And I just hope that we are given 13 episodes for season 8, because I doubt we’ll end up getting the usual 16.

19. Babygate says:

1. Heck yes. One of my favorite parts of Orphan Black is seeing Felix’s banter with Alyson. Alyson is easily the most fun version of all the clones.
    4. ARE we getting a S2 of Bunheads? Please???
    5. As soon as I saw NBC’s fall schedule my first question was: is Revolution going to change its rating now? There’s a huge difference between 10 and 8. They’re going to have to tone down the carnage and I’m not sure that won’t affect the tone that has been set for the show from the beginning. I think this scheduling change was a mistake.
    6. I just find it ironic that the same system that gives Adam Levine the right to speak his mind is the same system that he lashes out against in his frustration. If he didn’t like the results, he could have said, I hate this show. Or I hate this job. But he makes a really broad generalization to include the entire country. Maybe he misspoke. Or maybe his frustration licensed him to express his true feelings. It just seems to me like with this new generation it is cool to hate our country.

• Kvivik says:

6. He was frustrated and said something stupid. I agree with your ‘broad generalization’ comment.
      If he had lashed out and said ‘I hate you, voters,’ the backlash would have not been as sensationalized…and this would have been his last judging gig on the Voice.

• Carla Krae says:

Massively surprised me that they moved Revolution to 8pm. For cable, that’d be fine, but not free tv. People are going to bitch.

20. EJ says:

I live on the 28th floor of a building in NYC and, trust me, siren noises waft straight up to a deafening degree. Mad Men is not taking artistic licence in this particular matter.

21. Kim R says:

8. I must admit I liked when Castle did it. Especially when Castle got Beckett to say “I ain’t afraid of no ghost”..cue music. :)
    17. Traci probably has other things on her mind than checking out what Sam is doing. And she’s a good girlfriend. She would have given Andy the heads up for sure.

22. Erin says:

Traci never leaves the office:(

23. Erin says:

I miss Bunheads:(
    Is it canceled?

24. luli says:

Don’t understand the Amanda Bynes question… Is it because she’s been acting crazy???

• Jennifer says:

I think so, she’s all but boarded the Lindsay Lohan Crazy train. My guess is the two derail and get a Two and a Half Nutjobs sitcom with Charlie Sheen and James Franco as Executive Producers.

25. Whatever says:

1.Yes ! Felix and Alison are perfect together .
    6.Another clusterf*ck blown out of proportion. Move on nothing to see here.
    10. No , the girl needs to go away ,stay away from the media and get some help.

26. Angela says:

#6: I haven’t even heard/read the actual quote in context that set off that whole debate, but even so, as is often the case with comments like that, I’m going to go with, “Yes, blown WAY out of proportion.”
    #10: I feel really, REALLY bad for chuckling at this suggestion. And yet…it does make a bit of sense.
    In all seriousness, though, god, someone get that girl some help already, please.

27. Jacqueline says:

I was disappointed in the Glades episode as well. I thought here we go again.
    Revolution: The Tower guardians might have had food stored, for example MREs etc. Just a thought?

28. That’s what happens when you allow the viewers vote for the contestants in a talent competition. They don’t know talent and it becomes a popularity contest. Just look at American Idol. There hasn’t been a true talent to come from that show in years. Except for Carrie Underwood and a couple of others the winners have gone on to dinner theater and reality shows. Jennifer Hudson was voted off early and Taylor Hicks went on to obscurity. America may have talent, but Americans cant be left to judge it….

• MC says:

I think Candice has a good chance to break that trend and I have no doubt about her talent. I tend to agree with you about the voters, but Candice is one of their few winners who can appeal to an audience of those who are 25 and older. Younger fans might also “get” her talent, but her appeal is not limited to one demographic and that could be a very good thing for her career.

• stranger says:

Taylor is one of the top American Idol earners… headlining in Vegas for nearly 2 years at major hotels…. and traveling to others around the country. The man is RICH! Haha!

29. RKar says:

#6 I heard it when it happened and thought to myself “did he just say what I thought he said” and now conclude, ridiculously blown out of proportion. But that’s what the internet loves to do.

30. TobyG. says:

Love the idea of a Bobby-focused spin-off from Smash or even better, can he show up on Bunheads next season? There WILL be a next season, RIGHT ABCFam?

31. Babybop says:

Bahahaha to the Today show question. My mom and I were like, “How the hell are Al and Matt going to get through this?”

32. DarkDefender says:

1. YES!!!
    6. Heck No!!
    10. Kinda Perfect.

• DarkDefender says:

Clarifying.. #6.. Heck no it was not offensive.. Completely blown out of proportion.. Only an idiot would have taken that out of context and missed the point.

33. kirads09 says:

Re: Hannibal. Mads does have a thick accent. I love it. I think it is great for the character.
    IIf someone seriously has trouble understanding – turn on closed captioning!!

Re: Glades. I personally loved how they did the “ghost story” (as well as the Callie/Jim engagement storyline)

“And what other old chestnuts should be retired?” Throwing main characters into a romantic relationship – when it is not necessary – or way to soon and ruining shows. I don’t get this need to “ship” everyone like that. A little unspoken attraction and flirtation adds much more “spice” in my opinion.

34. LMAO on number 11… How did I not see that!

35. Mac says:

Maggie Lawson’s future on Psych isn’t up in the air at all! She was asked if she was leaving the show (at USA Network Upfronts) just a couple of weeks ago. And she “no i am still doing Psych” she even seemed annoyed that someone would even ask her that. Yes she may have a limited presence in season 8 but then again that’s not any different from the other female regular Kirsten Nelson who has always had a limited presence. Also the reason why she is adamant that she’s not leaving is because the show is ending and they are ALL leaving. James Roday already stated (albeit unofficially) that season 8 would a “love letter to the fans” and a way to “say goodbye” he even referred to it as “the last season”. We are just waiting for the official announcement from the Network and i am guessing that they will announce it after “Psych: The Musical” airs in December. Yes the network ordered 5 more scripts but it has yet to be announced whether they will add them to the season, but if they do i have heard that they will try to include Maggie in some those extra episodes. Also Maggie would not have gone looking for another role if she didn’t know already that the show was ending. Even if by some miracle they give the show another season i am pretty certain that Maggie will continue to appear and always be part of the Psych universe. Her new show films during Psych’s hiatus and vice versa so she can easily do both, which is exactly what she is doing. A wise decision actually considering that i don’t think her new show will last. Considering it’s on ABC it could very well be cancelled even before Psych airs season 8 in 2014 (which is when it’s scheduled to air).

36. Carla Krae says:

The residents in the Tower on Revolution have plants there. You see that when Aaron and Charlie and Rachel are brought to them. Also, it would’ve been stocked with a ton of supplies. Since it was supposed to be the most secret of secret places, they wouldn’t have wanted people going in and out of it all the time to eat. Military rations last decades, and they’ve had plenty of time to set up grow lights, hydroponics, etc.

37. SK says:

#16 – Totally agree. I have to raise the volume when it’s on and lower during the commercials.