NBC Renews Hannibal for Season 2

Get More: Renewals

Hugh Dancy, Mads MikkelsenNBC is hungry for more Hannibal: The network has renewed its killer drama for a second season.

PHOTOS | Hannibal Season 1 Spoilers — Ellen Muth Puts a Unique  Twist on Her Dead Like Me Character

Executive producer Bryan Fuller’s (Pushing Daisies) tale of profiler Will Graham and cannibal shrink Dr. Lecter will return no earlier than midseason for a 13-episode run.

“We’re so proud of Bryan’s vision for a show that is richly textured, psychologically complex, and very compelling,” NBC Entertainment President Jennifer Salke said in a statement. “There are many great stories still to be told.”

Tags: ,

Comments (115)

• AWESOME

Comment by sum – May 31, 2013 03:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What took them so long> Hannibal is great!

Comment by DapperDon – May 31, 2013 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE THIS SHOW!. So grateful it is being renewed.

Comment by phamster – May 31, 2013 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show. Cannot watch it alone at night.

Comment by Karen – May 31, 2013 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My entire family watches this show (not the kids). My sister in MN, my mother in CA, my sister-inlaw, grandparents, brother, aunt, uncle. We were so afraid after Utah cancelled, by the way we should force them out of the Union for that,.

Comment by John – May 31, 2013 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah they are all watching Scandel (yawn)

Comment by Brenda – June 8, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally, a well written, well acted, well produced show on regular tv. Thanks for having the courage to show it and to renew it for a second season. Bravo

Comment by Syd – May 31, 2013 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy. I am going to take a Bruno!

Comment by c w – May 31, 2013 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!

Comment by Patrick Maloney – May 31, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad Hannibal got a 2nd season!! I thought it was a little shaky at first, but the show has really become addictive once they established Will and started focusing more on Hannibal. I like that it’s not just a regular crime procedural; they get into psychology which is so interesting. Good for NBC for recognizing that the show has potential and does have an audience outside of those annoying Nielson families.

Comment by Mikael – May 31, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news. I have been enjoying every episode and can’t wait for more. Very happy, I will be watching.

Comment by Debbie Wheeler – May 31, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hate the show. Hate everyone on it. Will never forgive nbc for canceling Parenthood. Screw u Dancy.

Comment by dan – May 31, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So we can cancel the “send liver and fava beans to NBC to save Hannibal” plans? Cool.

Comment by Andrew – May 31, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent news! NBC surprised me with this decision. Is it Happy Hour yet?

Comment by Tania – May 31, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • johnny c likes xbox and cheese. we are going to wwe wrestling friday

Comment by c w – May 31, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SOOO relieved that Hannibal’s been renewed!!! I love this show SOOO much and look forward to it every week!

Comment by jillyfish13 – June 1, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All of you Hannibal haters need to get a clue! HANNIBAL is an AWESOME show that would absolutely thrive on a different network like HBO, STARZ, or SHOWTIME. The reason it’s rating are so low is because NBC never fully embraced it. The fact that they even had to think twice about renewing it shows just how little they appreciate it. And if they’re not 100% committed to it than they are not going to promote it the way it needs to be promoted. Just look at their still photo promos for the show, absolutely pathetic! They look like a “Night Court or Cheers” reunion special. Now take a Look at promos for DEXTER or TRUE BLOOD, those grab you by the balls and say “hey, look at me”. I haven’t seen one commercial or print ad for Hannibal anywhere. I only found out about the show mid-season by word of mouth (from that loyal fan base – that I’m now proudly a member of). I could go on for days about how NBC mis-managed Hannibal but I shant. Just know this, Hannibal is hands down the best (written, directed, & acted) show on non-cable TV at the moment and DEFINITELY deserves a second, if not a dozen more seasons. The fact that HANNIBAL has such an avid cult following and even the current mediocre viewership that it does is a testament to how great a show it is, because it was able to pull that off despite NBC’s lack of support or promotion.

Comment by Frank – June 1, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pleasantly surprised by the renewal. I worried about it getting a second season, but I reluctantly allowed myself to get invested in watching this show because it is just SO compelling. Thanks NBC!

Comment by Kat – June 3, 2013 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Mads. Thrilled that we will be seeing more of him.

Comment by Lis – June 3, 2013 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well NBC just saved themselves from a sit-in. If Hannibal had been cancelled, there’s a whole gaggle of women from Alabama that were headed to Rockefeller Center to protest. YAY!!!

Comment by Heather – June 7, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sit on the edge of my seat every Thursday waiting to see what Hannibal will serve me. It wrecks my nerves, assumes I can keep up and surprises me every time, I am in heaven! I cant believe NBC has the guts to put this show on. BRAVO! A show for real grown ups. When they do cancel it (its good so ya know they will) I hope Amazon or Netflix picks it up.

Comment by Brenda – June 8, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have mixed feeling. I think the show is terrific, but I would rather see it short and great with a satisfying “dovetail” into the “Red Dargon” storyline than watered down into a continuing series…

Comment by Dave Cook – June 15, 2013 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be “Dragon”…

Comment by Dave Cook – June 15, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. I hope they get the rights to Clarice. Will can go when the storyline calls for it. That is perfectly fine!

Comment by Tasha – June 21, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show! Byran Fuller has truly outdone himself with this fantastical concept of ‘pure empathy’. I love Hugh Dancy. This is by far his best performance yet.

Comment by Kelly – June 17, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show to itty bitty edible pieces. And its audience, though small, is specific to people that make over 100k a year. Marketers are probably clamoring to get their ads in that commercial space.

Comment by Tashsa – June 21, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy to hear there’s a season 2 coming! I really thought it was done for too because shows I love are usually cancelled :P Hannibal is so creepy and awesome. The timing of the show’s release was awesome…it came out after I stopped watching The Following.

Comment by Jewels Stephens – June 21, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the first time I have ever posted excitement about ANY show being canceled or not canceled. I was very literally holding my breath for several days waiting to hear and I am EXTREMELY pleased it’s still on the air. However, very curious as to how they are going to turn around in the next season…*IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE FINALE, STOP READING HERE* Now that Will knows about Hannibal…where do they go from here?

Comment by Alyssa M – June 21, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I can’t wait for Season 2! I’m hooked!

Comment by Aiesha Blount – June 21, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show. Wish they would’ve picked up the show 666.

Comment by carolyn – June 24, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep this series going! Don’t start a good thing and then stop it after a few seasons. There is nothing more irritating!!

Comment by cindy – July 12, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy Hannibal will be back for season 2…it’s a great show and a program where I rather watch a serial killer and psychiatrist kill and sometimes eat his prey on TV than see in RL.

Comment by Jill Smith – July 14, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watched season 1 finale (in United Kingdom) and like all other episodes need time to digest (!) the twists and details. Fantastically acted, beautifully filmed / produced it is by far the best drama shown here this year. Each episode so detailed and complex that I couldn’t go straight into the next episode without at least 24 hours ‘thinking time’. Looking forward to 2014 for the next season to be shown here. Thank you to all concerned,

Comment by Jacquie – August 3, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post