Emmys

Neil Patrick Harris to Host 2013 Emmy Awards

Get More: Emmys, News

Neil Patrick Harris Emmy host 2013CBS is keeping it in the family, tapping kudos staple Neil Patrick Harris to host the network’s 65th annual Primetime Emmy Awards telecast on Sept. 22.

This marks the How I Met Your Mother thesp’s second time emceeing TV’s biggest night; he presided over CBS’ last telecast in 2009.

Harris is also set to host the 67th Tony Awards on CBS next Sunday.

RELATED | Big Bang Theory Leads 2013 Critics Choice Awards — Next Stop Emmy?

“I couldn’t be more honored and excited to be hosting this year’s Emmy Awards,” said Harris in a statement. “And what perfect timing – I’ll just do the exact same script I’m about to use for the Tonys. ‘And the Emmy for Best Revival of a Musical goes to Breaking Bad! See, told you it works.”

Thoughts? Smart move on the part of CBS? Is there an Eye personality you would’ve preferred to see land the gig? Hit the comments!

Comments (27)

• YESSS! YES YES YES!!!!!

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – May 29, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He should really host the Oscars too.

Comment by amandareynolds – May 29, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome!
    Now can someone please get him to sign a contract for next Oscars?!? :))

Comment by Swisskev78 – May 29, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ehh. I like Neil Patrick Harris, but we’ve seen him host plenty of awards shows. Choosing him is getting redundant. If they had to pick someone from the CBS family, why didn’t they go with Melissa McCarthy? That could have been interesting.

Comment by Dave – May 29, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Melissa McCarthy would be a great choice, but she might be too busy with her show, movies, and I heard she will be directing a movie as well.

Comment by Ann – May 29, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly. He’ll do a solid job. But it’ll be the same solid job we’ve already seen.

Comment by Leah – May 29, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Let’s start the campaign to have him host the Oscars!!!

Comment by Ann – May 29, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woo hoo! LOVE him! This will actually make me watch the Emmys!

Comment by lariet50 – May 29, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is great! I will watch for sure now!

Comment by sarah – May 29, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Craig Ferguson should’ve been my pick to host this year’s Emmy Awards. :-(

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – May 29, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love NPH, and he is a great choice. I do hope though that CBS will have a wide variety of presenters from shows on other channels and doesn’t use only CBS actors to present the awards. I believe they have done in that past.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 29, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! And I support him hosting the Oscars.

Comment by Anna – May 29, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE NPH as a host, but I really wanted to see him and Jimmy Fallon double team the Emmys as host. That would be so awesome!

Comment by Tiera – May 29, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! love it. and i agree, NPH should host the Oscars too.

Comment by t86 – May 29, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can you get an EGOT for hosting/performing? :D He did a big musical number on the Oscars a few yrs back right? So, just the Grammy’s left then… #GoNPH :)

Comment by Bear75 – May 29, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! I may actually watch this this time around. For the first time in ages.

Comment by Daisy – May 29, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kids, in 2013 your uncle Barney hosted de Emmys.

Comment by Monica – May 29, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Him hosting as Barney would be legen… wait for it… dary!

Comment by KSM – May 29, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually worth watching if NPH is doing it, the guy is genuinely entertaining. Will make up for all the frustration at questionable to downright silly nomination and winner choices.

Comment by Tomasawakadoodledo – May 29, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like him. Nobody got sick of Carson back in the day. NPH is very talented.

Comment by JAO – May 29, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Oscars is in the future! YAY I LOVE HIM

Comment by Lorena – May 29, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is going to be legendary!!!!!
    YES YES YES !

Comment by Ileana – May 30, 2013 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY NPH! How can the Emmys always be so right in choosing their hosts, yet so *wrong* in their nominations and winners?

Comment by Aprilcot – May 30, 2013 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it. But they gotta get him in as Oscar host. I mean, Seth Macfarlane? NPH could tap dance circles around him as host.

Comment by Sam – June 3, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch awards shows But love NPH. I will probably record and fast fwd to only NPH. Only person worth watching.

Comment by huh – September 17, 2013 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post