The Voice Top 8 Performance Recap: Hold Your Breath and Count to 10 [Updated]

Usher The Voice Season 4NBC’s The Voice has a lot of fantastic qualities — stellar vocalists, positive energy, the limitation of Christina Milian’s ineptitude to two or three mercifully brief interview segments per episode — but subtlety ain’t one of ‘em.

Indeed, a cursory examination of the performance order from last week’s Top 10 telecast and this week’s Top 8 show reveals that certain contestants have been unfairly marooned in top-of-the-episode “death slots” that veteran reality TV viewers know are synonymous with results-night exits. To be more specific, this week’s 1-2-3-4 solo performance slots were mired in the 2-1-3-5 slots last week. Meanwhile, front-runners Daniele Bradbery and Michelle Chamuel have never performed earlier than No. 7 in performance order since the live voting rounds began. Come on, Mark Burnett…that’d be like having a Survivor camera guy secretly hand-hold a contestant till he or she was within 3 feet of a hidden immunity idol. (Wait, the camera guys on Survivor don’t actually do that, do they?)

Whatever the case may be, what began as a showdown among a pretty evenly matched Top 8 soon found four singers — Judith, Michelle, Danielle and Amber — beginning to separate themselves from their rivals. Without further ado, let’s cut to the set list (along with my letter grades) for the 120 minute concert.

Judith Hill: will.i.am (featuring Justin Bieber)’s “#thatPOWER” | From a strategic standpoint, it was risky for Judith to choose vibe over vocals and grit over glory notes, but I appreciated her effort to make something more (and different) (and vastly more interesting) of an inconsequential pop trifle. Swathed in a cape of feathers and rocking a Sanjaya-esque “ponyhawk” that looked in silhouette like the crest of some strange exotic bird, Judith brought funk and tempo to the Voice stage, and didn’t have any troubles maneuvering the tight curves of will.i.am’s ditty with her Mack-truck sized voice. Judith may be too far polished to appeal to voters who like their reality-show pop stars to emerge from half-shells of complete anonymity, but this week she convinced me  that she could be a viable player on today’s Billboard Hot 100. Grade: A-

Holly Tucker: The Band Perry’s “Done” | You can’t fault Holly when it comes to vocal consistency: The still-active college student hits her notes like Katniss Everdeen at target practice. But there’s still something uninspired about her delivery — a shallowness of emotional connection, maybe — that leaves me thinking “She’d be great at karaoke night” or “I might’ve voted for her if she’d had another five years of life experience” rather than “I can’t wait to buy her record next fall.” Grade: B

Judith, Michelle, Sarah and Sasha: Rihanna’s “Diamonds” | I’m just going to come out and say it: Individually, these women have talent, but together, they operated as naturally and purposefully as the combination of a fork, a woodchipper, a gallon of 2% milk and a box of Kleenex. I couldn’t wait for it to end…and upon second listen, I realize I was way too generous with my inital letter grade. Grade: C D+

The Swon Brothers: The Eagles’ “Seven Bridges Road” | I’m not gonna lie: It bugged me that the trio of background singers overpowered Zach and Colton for at least half of their Eagles cover — especially because, from what I could tell, their vocals simply weren’t as on point as last week. No, the end product wasn’t terrible, but Usher’s use of “incredible” in triplicate strained the outer boundaries of credulity. Adam made a half-hearted attempt to point out the aforementioned pitch snafus, but then retreated under a blanket of disingenuous self-deprecation: “I’m just being stupid and picky. I’m sorry.” Urgh, dude, that’s your job! And you’re paid wayyy too much to be shirking it in the hopes someone else will get it done. Grade: B

Sasha Allen: David Guetta (featuring Usher)’s “Without You” | Shakira has been a delight during her maiden voyage on The Voice — she’s got great chemistry with her fellow judges and seems really invested in her contestants. But can you imagine how much more successful a coach she’d have been if she’d wound up with a final three of Luke Edgemon, Shawna P and Cathia? I know some TVLine readers adore Sasha, but to me she’s like orange marmalade or oysters or chardonnay — flavors I just can’t get excited about. Sasha’s rendition of “Without You” had so much vibrato that I wondered if there was a tower of laundry machines on spin cycle beneath the platform where she began her performance. Worse still, though, the gorgeous young mom went intermittently flat throughout the verses — making me wonder if those dancers in Hazmat gear had been sent in to clean up the notes she’d made toxic. Grade: C-

Sarah Simmons: Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used to Know” | Sarah’s got a lovely, ethereal tone to her voice, except for those moments where it sounds like she’s broken out a shot glass full of battery acid, gargled it and then let out some kind of guttural animal shriek. Granted, I felt like there were times early in the season where Sarah used the raspier parts of her voice to bring to life darker and stormier emotions in her songs. Lately though, that grit has been used more arbitrarily — and much less pleasantly — almost as if Sarah is going backward in terms of her technique. (Where’s her coach at, yo!?) Oh, and that well-concealed dig from Shakira — that Gotye’s 2011 smash has already been done “several times” on The Voice (by Daniel Rosa and Lindsey Pavao, to be specific) — definitely had merit. Grade: C-

Amber, Danielle, Holly and the Swon Brothers: Sugarland’s “Something More” | I couldn’t shake the thought that the chorus of Sugarland’s 2005 hit was a close cousin of Hanson’s “Mmmbop,” but these four acts  sounded rock-solid (if not thoroughly thrilling) joining forces to bring it on home for the country-music fans in the audience. Grade: B

Michelle Chamuel: Bruno Mars’ “Grenade” | I liked Usher’s idea of making Michelle’s voice the “loudest instrument on stage” — especially since The Voice house band sometimes steamrolls the show’s more subtle vocalists. And yet while the final arrangement sacrificed Bruno’s percussive urgency — transforming it into what wound up sounding like “Grenade” as reimagined by Meatloaf — it nevertheless showcased Michelle’s versatility, not to mention the way she authentically conveys whatever emotion a song requires. I love the tremulousness she brought to her softer notes — without ever going off pitch — and the rocker-girl danger that emanated off her when she went into a crouch and howled. And while it’s not really a legit reason to cast a vote, Usher’s connection with his last remaining contestant is undoubtedly the most endearing of any coach-contestant combo this season. Michelle loves Usher. He loves her. He even dons black-framed glasses to keep a visual sense of unity on game night. #Adorbs Grade: A-

Danielle Bradbery: The Judds’ “Grandpa (Tell Me ‘Bout the Good ‘Ol Days)” | Everything about Danielle’s performance — the old-fashioned swing on a rural porch set, the windowbox of flowers behind her, Blake’s insistence that her song about Grandpappy’s value system “matters now more than ever” — transported me back to the early ’80s era when my grade-school self would occasionally tune in to Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters variety show. (Oh no, I just realized that I’m playing the role of grandpa and telling you ’bout the good ‘old days!) Anyhow, the verses were definitely pitched a little low for Danielle’s comfort zone — not that any of the coaches called out this fact — but she did seem really connected to her song, and showed off that big, honey-kissed voice of hers to beautiful effect on the chorus. I can’t pretend the aura of inevitability surrounding the likelihood of Danielle’s Season 4 win doesn’t aggravate me a bit, but as long as Blake keeps coaching her to hit up-the-middle doubles that play to her country core, the kid is gonna keep building a sizeable lead over her competitors. Grade: A-

Amber Carrington: Adele’s “Skyfall” | Hallelujah! Amber not only survived last week’s disastrous Kelly Clarkson cover, but reemerged as a serious conteder with a vocal on “Skyfall” that had an almost condor-like wingspan. What was even more amazing was that Amber looked genuinely nervous as she slinked out from behind the piano and began to take on Adele’s sweeping James Bond theme, but those nerves never registered in Amber’s voice. I loved the little gritty twist she gave to the pre-chorus, and the pure diva showboating of the final run of glory notes. The girl is a superstar in the making — though I sometimes feel like that should happen in the pop lane moreso than country. The only thing that I didn’t care for was Adam declaring that no prior Voice contestant had ever done an Adele song justice — despite having coached Amanda Brown when she proved beyond brilliant last season with “Someone Like You.” Better be great the next few weeks, Amber, how because your coach seems to have problems with his memory! Grade: A-

Should Go Home: Sasha and Sarah
Will Go Home: Holly and Sarah

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of Season 4 Top 8 performance night? What did you think of the coaches’ comments? Who was your favorite? Who’s going to be in trouble come results night? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments, and for all my reality TV news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. rnb better then country says:

Blake whole team is mediocre, swan brothers shoulda been gone a long time ago. The best country artist on the show is amber cause she can adapt an step into other genres. Time for the voice coaches to be a little more brutally honest when they critique.

2. VCI says:

I know this is gonna sound horrible, but I really hate the teeny boppers. They are the reason Danielle Bradbury is at the top of the itune charts every week. Yes, Danielle has a great voice, but at this point it more than a great voice, it’s about artistry, and Danielle lacks that. She has NO personality when she sings. It’s like she’s a really good karoake performance. But since the teeny boppers get out on their cell and vote 10 times and online ten times and then download her song immediately she probably wind up winning the voice as the least talented artist.

And if the Itune charts are right this week Judith Hill will be going home. Why? Because her fanbase for the most part is the over 30 crowd who doesn’t vote every possible way.

• Sunnie says:

Wrong wrong wrong! You can’t see artistry or performance when you just listen to the singer on itunes. Danielle’s voice is like butter. You can’t get enough of it. Both older and younger, country and non country fans alike. Judith Hill is going home, because her voice is hard on the ears when listening. I love Amber. She’s great and classy singing Skyfall. On the other hand, Judith looks like the bird lady dressed ridiculously with a freaking giant mohawk.

• nina says:

Danielle has no artistry whatsoever. She has a wonderful voice, but she lacks the ability to emote and connect with the songs that she sings… Having a voice like butter isn’t the same thing as being an artist. Additionally, she has limited range, and EVERY SINGLE SONG she sings sounds exactly the same. Aside from Maybe It Was Memphis, nothing stands out because she’s belting out the same pitchy notes over and over again.

3. Joanna says:

After watching Judith Hill perform so early in the show last night and last week, I believe that
    the show has set her up to be eliminated tonight. Although I’m an R and B/Pop music fan
    (early 70’s and late 60’s) I’ve never warmed up to her. I thought she was overrated from
    the beginning with too much confidence (arrogance) I think for me to really enjoy any of
    her performances. Last night was good but everything else that came with the feathers/
    mohawk and staging was totally overdone. I think the Powers That Be of The Voice have
    decided not to push her anymore the way that American Idol did Candice Glover and
    allowing Angie Miller to perform 3 times on AI’s finale. I felt Amanda Brown also over did
    her performances too, although I feel that she is a much better vocalist. My favorite was
    her Grace Potter and the Nocturnals song “Stars”. This season no one really stands out
    to me. They are all talented vocalist but their is a blandness to them with all of the really
    interesting performers both black and white, male and female eliminated during the Battle
    Rounds and Knockout Rounds. I focused on Judith Hill because because after watching
    American Idol this season it seemed very obvious that they were promoting her for the
    finals if not the win. I feel the same way about Sasha Allen a better singer but seems to
    be too full of herself although I think with Shakira’s urging she has come across less so
    last week and last night. Finally I’d just like to say that Michele Chamuel is my favorite
    this season. And Jordis Unga was my all around favorite from season 2.

• Ashante says:

So what makes Sasha too full of her self? Is it Confidence? Do you watch her interviews? She is so cool..so pleasant..so humble! Isn’t that what they want her to be…confident! Hope you do not read this Sasha. If you do, ignore it. Just continue to be sweet, beautiful…and full of musical heritage and background. You are who you are!

4. tnsmoke says:

Wow. I am one of millions of Voice fans who never cared about any other singing competition shows, but just liked the concept of the blind auditions, then got hooked. I have to say that I am GLAD I don’t watch other shows as based on comments on message boards there seems to be a lot of smug, mean comments about artists that “God forbid” YOU don’t like. Am sick of people comparing AI versions of songs to the Voice. I let each performance stand on it’s own and probably judge it more fairly. And this mean spiritied attitude towards Blake and his 3 freakin country singers!! Give me a break. Take them away and what is left for people who like country music?? We have non country performances to listen to, which we did for the past 3 seasons of live rounds. I like country music and I bet most country fans are more like me and MORE open to all kinds of other types of music without trashing people….and actually real country music on the radio and in venues all across Nashville is more diverse then any other realm of music.

• rnb better then country says:

Snooze…….. Do you think any of Blake’s team members could ousting Judith Hill in a battle round. The show is no longer about who has the best voice, its a popularity contest, let’s face it. Country fans an teens are gonna push Danielle to victory, when basically every one of her performances look like karaoke nite.

5. Nicole says:

While I believe Danielle is VERY talented, I am a big Amber fan. Amber has been able to sing many different genres (Rihanna, Martina McBride, Kelly Clarkson, Adele) and done them well. Danielle only sings country and would have never been able to handle Skyfall they way Amber did. Even in the group number it was clear that Amber possesses more charisma and stage presence. It will be interesting to see how it plays out…

6. BrazenSongBird says:

I don’t know why so many people are ripping on Adam’s song choice for Sarah this week.On paper the Gotye song was tailor-made for someone with Sarah’s musical ability and chops. Her execution is what people have an argument with, but because she’s done well in the past, folks are assuming it’s got to be the song. It’s not. That song is well within her musical ability, she just couldn’t hear herself on stage, or didn’t use breath support or any number of things that can physically go wrong with a performance, but she should have been able to sing the stuff out of that song. Last night, it just didn’t happen.

Another singer that people are hating on is Danielle. I think that Usher said it best. She is a prodigy. Now, prodigies are notorius for being able to do amazing things technically, but they tend to lack emotion and intention behind their music. Of course, this is mostly due to their lack of experience. The hope and promise with these young phenoms is that once they’ve had the oppotunity to evolve and mature, they marry their incredible technical skills with their newly minted life experience and the result is magic. Audiences are infatuated with prodigies and Danielle has that distinction. She’s young and she’s hella talented. The fact that she charts higher than someone’s favorite is not her doing. It’s the public’s. Hating her for who she is naturally is just mean spirited.

7. Michael says:

I only have one problem with the voice. The coaches. I feel like the producers are trying to make the show all about them instead of the contestants first of all. I mean why do we get two minutes of singing top then five minutes of the coaches talking and Adam and Blake bickering(which in my opinion feels a lot more forced from the two of them than in past seasons). Also I wish they would actually give them criticism instead of saying “that was great” every time. For instance if they said to Sasha ” wow, you can really sing but sometimes you go way over the top” or to Danielle “listen, your voice is phenomenal but you need to start connecting to what you’re singing because you seem to sing the lyrics like you’re reading your highschool history book.” I love the show; I just wish they would give these people a chance to grow before they get cut.

• rnb better then country says:

That’s the best comment I’ve seen, the judges on this show are too nice.

• sofia says:

Nail on head. It’s so boring. And you’re exactly, the Voice should be called the Adam Levine/Blake Shelton show with a side serving of Shakira/Usher. It’s the fact that the coaches are blatantly lying through gritted teeth half the time. They are in danger of losing that sincerity that got the show popular in the first place.

8. teatime says:

For me, this was a night of good songs that were either overworked (Sasha, Sarah, Judith), or under-performed (Danielle, Holly, Swon Brothers).
    – I loved Amber’s Skyfall. That was a very unexpected choice and she sang it beautifully.
    – I really liked Michelle’s Grenade. I wish it was just a tiny bit more subtle, especially during this night of overdone songs.

The Overdone:
    – Without You is a beautiful, haunting song. The versions we heard tonight was grating. I wanted to cover my ears every time Sasha sang the words “Without You.”
    – Somebody That I Used to Know is another great song. It has wonderful dynamics. The version we heard tonight was just over sung. It’s the worst version I’ve ever heard of this song.
    – Judith’s performance was okay, but it was just too “look at me” and in your face. It was very ’80’s to me.

The Underdone:
    – Danielle’s Grandpa sounded like she was singing to a bunch of kindergarteners the way she kept over pronouncing “grandpaw.” Or maybe the idea was to highlight how young she is and make her sound even younger. Anyway I think the song might have been sung well with some emotion but instead she just kinda sleepy and forgettable.
    – The Band Perry sang Done on TV 2 weeks ago. That was high energy fun! The Band Perry’s version is one of the most memorable live performances of the year for me, from any of these singing shows. Holly came nothing close to that performance. I think it should have been given to Amber or some non-country contestant and even then they should have waited a couple more weeks before doing it.
    – The Swon Brothers song was a bit monotonous. They seemed to just keep saying the same line over and over. In this instance I think the song itself was the problem. Or they just needed to do something to the arrangement to make it more interesting.

9. PatD says:

I’m not a country music fan, but even I could tell from her very first performance that Blake had lucked into a gold mine with Danielle. No, she doesn’t possess the vocal gymnastics of some of the others, but that girl’s voice was made to sing country music. She’s going to be huge. I thought The Judds’ song was a brilliant choice for her.

And I don’t get all this “entitled” talk about a 16 y/o kid. She strikes me as a regular, not-raised-in-showbiz kid who doesn’t yet see this singing thing as a matter of life and death. She just comes off as tickled to death to be where she is. Blake & Miranda are hugely popular with this generation’s country music, and I think it’s charming how starstruck she is by Blake.

I really like Amber, too, and although she killed it last night, I think Adam is missing the boat bigtime with his song choices for her. While Danielle is perfect for country pop, I see Amber as having big potential for a more rootsy country music audience. She’d have a real moment with something like Kelly Willis’ & Kevin Welch’s “That’ll Be Me.” I could see her charting very high on iTunes with that.

I think Holly and Sarah should go this week, but I don’t really care as long as Amber, Michelle, and Danielle are the finale 3. Those 3 have the most potential, and this show really needs a winner who will sell music and tour tickets.

10. rnb better then country says:

Judith ain’t going no where her Twitter numbers and Facebook numbers trump anybody else’s, iTunes ainy the only way to judge the votes.

11. Lauren says:

Michelle’s performance was the best of the season thus far for me. On point vocals, incredible stage presence, and just really heart-wrenching in her delivery. I actually went back and watched it a second time right after – something which I had not done at all yet this season.

Sarah was god awful. She deserves to go after that.

The rest were meh for me. I usually love Danielle but that song choice was not my favorite.

Amber’s performance was technically great – but to be honest all it did was make me want to go back and listen to Adele’s version. That’s what happens when you cover Adele (same with any other once-in-a-generation artist like Whitney, Mariah, MJ, etc).

12. sofia says:

The only thing I thought throughout this whole episode is that Usher needs to really stop saying ‘incredible’. Pick up a thesaurus son.
    I’m finding the Voice tiresome these days. I know the show prides itself on it’s percieved lack of drama and pettiness and love to describe eachother as ‘family’ but how boring is it watching them fawn all over eachother (judges over eachother, judges over contestants) for no good reason. No judge will offer vital constructive criticism and if they do make a comment that’s even slightly negative, it will come baked in a triple decker double chocolate fudge cake. Sickly sweet and at the end of the day, ridiculously false and ingenuine. And ultimately boring.
    Every comment is a strange amalgamation of “OMG you were so amazing [if Usher enter the word incredible as is appropriate which appears to be all the freaking time because why the hell not], you’re SUCH an artist, I love you, you were amazing’ and 9 times out of 10 the contestant was decent to mediocre.

13. Mark says:

Blake needs to pick up a modern song for Danielle, it’s getting boring. And I’m so pissed at Adam. He’s gonna ruin Sarah’s chances with those song choices. Blake would make her a winner. Just give her a song like One of Us.

14. MelidaJ says:

Amber what’s-her-face is usually one of my favorites, but let’s face it… IMO she did NOT do justice to the Adele song… no one can do Adele like Adele, so they shouldn’t try… As far as Adam saying she’s the only one who’s ever done justice to an Adele song on The Voice, may I remind you of Vicky’s rendition of “Set Fire to the Rain” in Season 1?… All in all, I was kinda underwhelmed by Judith, Amber, and Michelle as I’ve grown used to hear great performances from all of them… Yes they have amazing voices, and yes, they all sang Top-of-the-Billboard chart songs, but they all lacked the passion and “oomph” that the original artists had in each of these songs. Holly Tucker did good, and so did Gabrielle.

15. Hey, It's ME! says:

Here’s my to the point review.
    —–
    JUDITH gets the huge production for this Will.I.am & Justin Bieber number. Sorry, but I’m not enjoying this performance at all. I don’t understand WTH she’s doing. She singing a song that basically has 4 notes to it. OMG! FAILED!
    —–
    I thought HOLLY did fairly well. It is hard to get to Kimberly Perry’s anger level but Holly got pretty close. Her voice does not have an edge like Kimberly’s. I thought it was one of her better performances.
    —–
    I enjoyed the SWON BROS but they need to quite trying to get sympathy votes every week based on tragedies. They have done two now. Now it is time to play for just your fans. If the Swons were going to do the Eagles, I wish they would have sung “Take It Easy”. I don´t want to see them leave yet, so I hope their fans vote and they can stay a bit more.
    —–
    SASHA is doing a good job of making herself seem youthful and current, the opposite of what Judith is doing. She looks great, but I was disappointed with her vocals. There wasn’t enough in that song to really sing. It relies on production and other goo-ga’s to sound really good.
    —–
    Not enjoying this performance from SARAH. Too pitchy for my taste and I don’t like the random growly voice. Please stop singing before I throw things at my TV to make it stop. Worst performance of the night so far.
    —–
    MICHELLE! That girl is the real deal!! Love, love love her!!! I love everything Michelle….. I love how Usher get her! Love that performance. The emotion, the feelings and the uniqueness are just dripping off of her. She so dang geeky cool!!! Good Job Usher and Michelle!
    —–
    DANIELLE has an incredible voice. She has a beautiful tone, her voice is simply flawless! She’s still very young, so it’s hard to blame her for not showing much emotion….that will come with time. Song choice is a bit bland, but a nice performance overall.
    —–
    AMBER was fantastic on her song. Amazing job! Skyfall is probably the most technically difficult song that anyone is attempting here tonight. Her connection to songs is amazing.
    —–

Likely to go home: Sarah, Sasha or Judith. I think Sasha is really in DANGER from her iTunes ranking last out of all the contestants. We’ll that’s my take :)

16. kaba says:

Personally..I think Danielle’s voice is good and attention grabbing..and honestly nothing more.
    There are many ways to define what ought to be “The Voice” and in instances, Danielle IS the clear “Voice” of this season…though I look at The Voice in a different direction.
    Danielle’s voice does nothing for me aside from make me listen when she sings initially..
    (I’m a Michelle fan so I pray this isn’t too biased)
    Michelles voice commands me…and makes me want to keep listening after. The intent, emotion, feeling, and intricacies of her voice captivate, what I think, The Voice is all about imo.
    The way she can bring to life the torture that was inside of “Grenade” was phenomenal.
    She does this every week..but due to Danielle’s Cassadee level support she can’t overcome her.
    I don’t think Danielle is the right fit for the winner and I would not enjoy to see her win…I don’t think she knows her voice well enough to do the things some of the other contestants do without having a “commanding” and attention grabbing voice she has.
    I just don’t feel she’s mature enough nor knows herself musically

17. JimmyNeutron says:

What do you get when you cross a braided mohawk, a feather poncho, a group of dancing trumpeteers, thousands of LED lights and a raspy voice? One HOT MESS or that would be Judith Hill’s performance of #thatPower by will.i.am and Justin Bieber.

18. Maddie says:

Can I just say…Shakira has been such a breath of fresh air as a judge on this show. Usher and CeeLo are both fine, I wouldn’t be upset no matter which we had. But Christina was always such a mean coach! It seemed like she never had anything positive to say about anyone who wasn’t on her team and she always..(always!!) had to relate it back to herself. Shakira is always so positive and encouraging, even when the performance clearly wasn’t her favorite. I wish we didn’t have to see her go next season

19. Kiki says:

One of the best moments of coaching actually came from mentor Hillary Scott when she explained to the singers doing a Lady Antebellum song what feelings went into writing it. So many of the contestants on EVERY competition come off as though they barely understand what they’re singing, let alone connect with it. For example, to me True Colors isn’t an anthem, it’s something you whisper in your BFF’s ear when someone has stomped all over their self confidence. But then singing it like that would take nuance and I don’t know if y’all would vote for that.

20. DaysGoBy says:

I was under the Rock called “Dont listen to Pop music radio” I listen to a hard rock station…they don’t play Adele among Godsmack, Disturbed,etc. I love all kinds of music so I love the Voice. If Itunes Sales are cummulative Danielle has 4 in the top 300. Michelle has 2. They are the front runners. I tweeted Blake for you Blly Bob.

21. Nutso says:

TeamShakira’s Sasha Allen, who’ll need a miracle to dodge elimination tonight. Her rendition of “Without You” by David Guetta featuring Usher sounded too Broadway. In general her voice is good, but her overall execution of this particular song was too dramatic and too precise – every word was enunciated to the point of distraction. While the coaches only had praise for her performance, I’d be surprised if it connected as well with viewers at home. Indeed, she dragged the bottom of the iTunes chart this morning. Best wishes for you Sasha.

• Ashante says:

Did you hear Blake say “I compare my singing to you now. You hit every note perfectly.” I guess you do not know music. It may have not been your favorite song..but she did that song justice!!!

22. Beezers says:

I was never impressed with Danielle until last night. I felt for the first time that she connected with the song.

I was disappointed with Sasha’s performance. I used to think that she would be one of the last two standing, but I no longer feel that way.

There were so many flat notes in Sarah’s performance that it was painful. When Usher said something like “who am I to complain about flat notes” I thought, “yeah, man, tell her how many times her notes were flat” but he wimped out, just like all the judges do now when they could offer constructive criticism.

There’s just something about Holly that isn’t doing it for me any more. I really liked her in the beginning.

• Ashante says:

You got surprised didn’t you! I guess many fans think they are great musicians… Everyone has an opinion about music! They may even sound like they are experts…but it aint necessarily so…as in your case!

23. Danni says:

Is this the end of Team Shakira? Just from looking at the comments and stuff. Sasha will be eliminated today? I like Shakira, this will devastate her. I wish Shakira would give Sasha some true R&B tunes to sing… Chante Moore – ‘Candlelight & You’

24. HTGR says:

ahhhh Shakira almost tearing up already and the show just started, you can tell all along she deeply cares.
    Hopefully they will change to tears of joy, but it seems Sasha and Judith are goners. Sure as heck hope note. Two of strongest voices and best talents. Oh well.

25. HTGR says:

SPOILER

.holy rap yes!

SPOILER

26. HTGR says:

gah!! Well the results sure say one thing and it is perhaps a little troubling.

27. Shane says:

It is unbelievable to me that more people supported Holly’s lackluster performance or Sasha’s goat-vibrato mess than Judith or Sarah. Blake’s getting another winner in Danielle, and it’s going to be really annoying to see him get even more smug.

• HTGR says:

I think you mixed up Sasha and Sarah with the goat vibrato.
      I was surprised, beyond stunned really, well other than iTunes giving it largely away (although once Sasha was safe I started thinking maybe Judith had squeaked past Holly), that Judith was dumped.
      How is that three times are down to one and one team has all three? curious…. may as well call it the Blake Shelton show. Getting to be that nobody else has a chance.

• Ashante says:

Thank God your words are just opinions. Sasha is incredible..enough to win a Tony on Broadway! Music will always bring different opinions! That’s just the way it is..but why do you have to stoop so low… She was great! She sings what is given to her..and often does a better job then the original. I think you are sore!

28. DaysGoBy says:

I am surprised Judith went home I think song choice did her in….I couldn’t be more elated about Sarah packing it in…last night was her worst and at this stage Bad Week = Home Packing!! Please Shakira & Sasha.pick a good song!!!

• Jasmine says:

YES! YES! YES! YAAAAAYYYY! Sarah’s gone! That’s great! I couldn’t stand her. I’m so happy she’s gone. I wanted Holly to go and she should have. Judith’s clearly better and should’ve gotten through. But Holly’s country so we all know the country vote is like the biggest vote, soooo…Holly was surprised though. She thought she was a goner, which she should’ve been. But as I said in some previous post on here, if Sarah OR Holly were to go home, I would rather have Sarah go home first, then Holly (since I do like her a tad bit more than I liked sarah, but (trust me) that’s not saying much). Such a shame for Judith. I thought she did really well last night. I liked that performance a lot, but obviously, her fans weren’t feeling it enough to vote like crazy for her. I’m not too upset though because she wasn’t one of my favorites. All the ones I really wanted to make it, they all got through. One was my absolute favorite Michelle. I was also extremely happy that Amber and Sasha made it through too…and the Swon Brothers. Don’t like Danielle or Holly. They need to go next week.
      Michelle for the win! :)

• HTGR says:

I betcha if Judith were on Blake’s team and Holly on Adam’s, even if they both had done everything the same, the results would’ve been swapped.

29. Ashante says:

What is your musical background Michael? Yeah you the writer!!! You write, feel, sound so so political! Like someone hired you to hate certain singers! Like it is all a game for you! Some of these artist have serious backgrounds…and they sing what they are giving! I wanna hear you sing! Oh wait, I can’t a pay you! Will you still sing?

30. Sunzu says:

The problem with The Voice this season is that they have booked and scheduled too many Country performances, which is bringing a disproportionate amount of country viewers and voters to the show.

Country does NOT sell that well in America or internationally.

The Voice needs more balance in the performing acts that they book, otherwise they are going to kill the show. At a critical time, they have mainly country audiences being pulled in and watching, which reflects in bias voting (which is already evident).

The Swon Brothers are a complete joke and disaster. They would never sell anywhere but in the limited Country market, and even there, they would not do so well on the Country Music Charts. The longer the Swon Brothers hang around, the more you know the show is short-changing potential singers that could do well with a general audience and the ultimate goal of finding a super star singer has failed.

31. Sunzu says:

Who in their right mind would say that the Swon Brothers would sell more albums and are better singers than Judith Hill??? The Voice has screwed up horribly, and it’s because they are catering and attracting too much of a country audience, and that has skewed the voting and the results. It’s horrible to see who is still there and who has left.

32. zaira says:

I liked all the performances…but I also saw the performances of top six and OMG! Michelle…with get song I knew you were trouble was awesome hehe…IM a swifty so it was obv. But she did a great job.Sasha was also awesome,over all this show of rocking…I also want to be I’m that platform hehe

33. eurocasino says: