Ratings: Hell's Kitchen Rises, Save Me Scores NBC Low, Hannibal Dips, Old Bang Tops Night

Ratings Hannibal Rookie BlueA repeat of The Big Bang Theory came out on top this first out-of-season Thursday, dominating all comers in total audience (with 8.84 million viewers) and edging out Hell’s Kitchen for the nightly demo win (with a 2.2).

Among Thursday’s premieres, a double-pump of Anne Heche’s long-shelved Save Me averaged 3.1 mil and a 0.7, marking NBC’s lowest rated series launch since last summer’s Saving Hope. Leading out of sitcom repeats, bubble drama Hannibal (2.74 mil/1.0) rose 11 percent in audience yet ticked down a tenth from last week.

RELATED | TVLine Premiere Poll: Did NBC’s Save Me Make You a Convert?

Over on Fox, Hell’s Kitchen (5.5 mil/2.1) rose 38 and 17 percent from last week’s Monday telecast, while Does Someone Have to Go? (3.1 mil/1.3) won its 9 o’clock time slot even while shedding some 40 percent of its lead-in. (DSHTG also put up barely half of what So You Think You Can Dance did in the time slot a year ago.)

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

ABC’s Rookie Blue returned to 6 million viewers and a 1.2 rating, down two tenths in the demo from its previous premiere yet up 20 percent in viewers and matching the rating of its Season 3 finale. Opening ABC’s night, Wipeout (4.1 mil/1.2) rose 8 percent and two tenths, while Motive in its regular time slot premiere dropped 9 percent and a tenth from Monday’s sneak preview.

1. Damien says:

Dammit, Americans! You must watch Hannibal so that we, Europeans, could enjoy this incredible show for at least one more year!!

2. Eric says:

Why is no one watching Hannibal? :(

• Keri says:

I can’t understand why people watch it! I couldn’t even make it through the premiere, I thought it was horrible

• Esaul says:

I’ve been tempted to watch Hannibal. Recently, I got my grandmother into The Following, so I think Hannibal would make a decent fit to that. However, with the show’s declining ratings, I don’t see it likely that the show will get renewed, and I don’t want to invest time in a lost cause. If the final ratings tick it up a tenth or so, and seeing if there’s any DVR data, I might reconsider. But honestly, I don’t know.

• John says:

Because its crap? It would have worked a lot better on Showtime or another cable network IMO.

• Alice says:

Honestly- because it’s a prequel to Silence of the Lambs. So we know that the incredibly evil people-eating monster lives, and it’s structured as a crime drama in an incredibly competitive time slot. It’s hard to get people to switch from their current show to such a downer of a concept. It could be the most incredible show ever, but this is kind of why I have never been tempted to leave my Thursday night shows for such a grim premise. The Following gave me quite enough of the “The serial killer always wins” to last a long time.

• The Beach says:

Because the show’s pace is like “The Killing” on Ambien.

3. N says:

I hope it’s not too late for Hannibal!

4. Cher says:

I wanted to watch it but the Cleveland Indians were playing Boston and it was not shown.

5. Robert Taylor says:

Hannibal has adjusted up most weeks. It’ll adjust up to a 1.1 and be even with last week.

6. Good thing ABC can’t cancel Rookie Blue! <3

7. Carrie says:

Hannibal should be put out of its misery. Cancel it, sell it to Showtime. Recast the show, except for Mads, because that Hugh Dancy is just horrible. Revamp the crap out of it.

• Aiden says:

Disagree. Perfect casting and story lines so far, in my opinion. It’s NBC’s top quality show, and it’ll be a shame to get canceled. Not against it moving to cable, though. Anything to keep Bryan Fuller’s brilliant series alive.

8. Dani says:

ugh come on America! Hannibal is the best show of the season, please watch it! Bryan Fuller’s genius is just too good for this time.

9. Boiler says:

Can’t believe 3 million people watched that crap Fox put on after Hells Kitchen

10. Saint Alicia says:

Hannibal is so good pleeeease let it be renewed.
    Debuting late in the season and being scheduled against 2 other popular series did it no favors. How did NBC ever expect it to gain/build an audience?? They should give it a second season with a better time slot to provide the show a real chance; it’s the best program the have.

11. Sarah says:

I hope Rookie Blue is adjusted up later.

12. Shannon says:

I’m also on the “I LOVE Hannibal” team. Seriously it is one of the best dramas NBC has put on in years. The casting is perfect and the storylines are fantastic. I wish they would just tell us it’s fate already! The waiting is driving me crazy!!

13. Kira says:

Glad to see total viewership for Rookie Blue is up. Last night’s premiere was fantastic!!!! One of the best casts on tv!!!

14. SK says:

I, too, like Hannibal. It’s one of only 3 shows my husband and I watch together. We really enjoy the storylines. Please renew it.

15. bonesfan says:

I love Motive..it’s one of my new favorite shows! I love Vega and Flynn’s chemistry..I hope it sticks around in the States.

• Jax says:

Me too! I really expected it to be bad but I was pleasantly surprised. The two leads work really well together. It’s a good show.

16. Sara says:

I was skeptical of Hannibal at first, but by the third episode I was hooked. I keep trying to convince my friends to watch it too. I thought the character development of the main characters has been phenomenal. I agree that the time slot they have it at sucks. If they would actually promote this show properly, it would actually have a chance.

17. JJ says:

Hannibal may be a great show but those ratings are pathetic. I can’t see why NBC would renew a series that can’t even break 3 million total viewers. How much could it possibly grow if it gets a second season??

• Caitlin says:

A better time slot?

• Esaul says:

That’s the problem though. They can’t abruptly move Revolution when the show’s ratings are falling there, so Monday is out of the question. Tuesday had The Voice followed by Go On/The New Normal. Go On did better than Hannibal is doing, I believe, so moving Go On at the time didn’t make sense. Maybe moving it to Tuesday instead of Smash could’ve helped, but I don’t think NBC predicted that Smash’s return would be so bad. Wednesday for SVU and Chicago Fire did fairly decent there, and I doubt Hannibal could’ve done any better. Launching a dark show like that at 8 PM probably wouldn’t have gone well with affiliates. Friday is generally out of the question for launching new shows as is. Thursday, they needed to find a success story for 10 PM against POI and Scandal. Last season, Scandal started quietly. Maybe they could achieve the same. Well obviously that’s not the case, as Parenthood is moving there. But yeah, they didn’t have much of a choice, unless they handled Revolution’s hiatus better. Sorry for the ramble. :D

• Esaul says:

It’s not so much about the viewers, but the ratings. If they aren’t pulling the ratings, advertisers won’t want to invest money in the commercials. If no one’s watching the show, no one’s watching the commercials. Sometimes the viewership goes hand in hand. But recent example I can think of was early on in the season Vegas had 12 million viewers, but lost constantly against Parenthood in the ratings, where Parenthood pulled in far less viewers.

18. tahina says:

Hannibal it’s terrible..how is it other networks get better selection of shows except NBC..Its beyond me..tried Hannibal but quit after the second ep..a bad rip off of Elementary. JMHO. :S

19. Gwen says:

I don’t understand why Anne Heche is hired for anything involving acting, since she can’t act. Being whiny does not equal acting…otherwise, all of us could have a show at some point in our lives!

• Darleen says:

Couldn’t agree more. Even the adverts are annoying.

• Peggy says:

I am sorry – you are absolutely wrong! SAVE ME was wonderful – It actually brought back to television a show that people are normal – they make mistakes and can change for the good.
      It was about how people could help other, do the right thing. Anne Heche was wonderful in it, as were the other actors, they were everyday people with everyday problems. NBC is crazy to cancel there are too many people polling that they liked it. I will miss it!!
      NBC you missed a large polling group of people who want something better on TV.

20. Esaul says:

From my standpoint, NBC messed up this year. Their first mistake was with Revolution. The hiatus hurt the ratings. Also, they should’ve either kept the show running with no break (i.e. The Following), or tested the waters with the show in a new timeslot. They’re already displaying by next year’s schedule that they’re using The Voice as a launching pad. If they moved Revolution, or kept it going without the hiatus, the show’s ratings wouldn’t have fell so sharply (one would think they’d learn from ABC’s Flashpoint’s mistake) as they have. Also, they could’ve used The Voice’s spring cycle to launch Hannibal that way. It’d be on at the same 10 PM hour, but probably would’ve gotten better results than a comedy led Thursday against Person of Interest and Scandal. Even with the two shows over, no one’s going to want to start watching Hannibal in the middle of a season. Sure, it could probably get renewed for mid-season, or another network could pick it up. Honestly, with that rating, and if I were them, I’d cancel the show now instead of gambling more money.

21. John says:

Yep, the one TiVo season pass I have set to “new & repeats” is TBBT.

22. aura says:

I love Hannibal .At first I wasn’t sure about the concept but the cast and the development it’s excellent I really hope that it gets its renewal.

23. Nicole says:

Hannibal is a remarkable show. I think that NBC needs to put all the episodes up on OnDemand and online so that people can catch up, because I know people who want to watch, but don’t have many options until the DVDs come out. Anyway, this show is really good! The character development is spectacular, the cinematography is gorgeous, and the storyline is really compelling. Watch it if you aren’t already, and renew it, NBC!

24. Cory says:

Save Me was actually really funny, I just watched it this morning on Hulu. Too bad the ratings were so low. :/

• Dave says:

It’s an excellent show, cute, quirky and funny…therefore NBC will cancel it by week three.

• Sue says:

That’s what I’m hoping.

• Ann says:

Yeah. Save Me was actually pretty decent and has potential to grow if it’s given the time to do so.

• Sue says:

It will be cancelled soon. Hopefully.

• Julio says:

I don’t mean to be presumptuous @Sue, but I get the feeling you didn’t like Save Me.

• Peggy says:

Sue – can you be more specific as to why you did not like the show? I will really miss it now. I was searching for it and found out it was cancelled after I told lots of people at my church about it.
            It was finally something on TV everyone can relate to. How when you make mistakes you can change and bring about change in others. It could have grown into something special. NBC – I am really sad you made such a decision. Give it another chance – if not, I hope a cable show picks it up as I would watch weekly!!

• Jenna says:

There is no doubt in my mind that NBC makes the funniest comedies. For whatever reason they get canceled/terrible ratings consistently. The main difference is CBS comedies are one liners-very on the nose comedy. Maybe most Americans prefer that.

25. Midori says:

NBC was basing their renewing Hannibal on last night’s episode, it was clear from the ads. They talked about how the shows you normally watch are reruns, so watch our show instead.

And no one did, expect it to be canceled (unless there is a Netflix / Direct TV deal) sometime before the end of the month, if not the weekend.

NBC really wanted to help the show they would have moved it to Tuesdays instead of wasting Grimm there.

26. Tran TV says:

Still really starting to hate CBS.

27. Mikael says:

NBC doesn’t know what to do with a quality show like Hannibal. It belongs on cable.

28. kirads09 says:

If Hannibal doesn’t survive on NBC, I definitely feel it has that rare chance for a cable network pickup. I am willing to keep giving Motive a chance. I like the premise and cast. But do feel it is going to need to step up it’s game somehow if it wants to be more than a brief summer replacement.

29. Aimee says:

Looks like Motive adjusted up to a 1.3 in the demo. Good news. I like the show and I hope it sticks around. Seeing as it’s a fairly inexpensive import from Canada I think it could do well for ABC in the summer.

30. WrstShowEva says:

I think Save Me is a perfect show, for CBN.

31. Sue says:

LOL No, they’d run screaming from it, too.

• Peggy says:

I think any cable channel – would do well to pick it up – remember Seventh Heaven NBC?
      I rest my case!!
      Sorry Sue and WrstShowEva – you both do not know what you are talking about – LOL!!

32. Deb M says:

a few months ago i was probably the loudest, most obnoxious person on the internet slamming Hannibal and people, i was DEAD WRONG!

lets be honest here, the premiere was questionable to be polite about it, but after the second one i got hooked…it’s too the point where i come home at midnight thursday night, watch it right away, then get cranky b/c i have to wait another week.

the acting is phenomenal, and while i greatly appreciate the guy who plays Lecter, Hugh Dancy steals the show for me. in the pilot he bordered on annoying, but as you get to know him and see things from his perspective, i swear he just sucks you in. This week is the perfect example. can anyone who watched the episode seriously say your heart didn’t break when he broke down and kinda freaked out in Hannibal’s office at the beginning when he lost time?

guys from one of the biggest skeptics there was i’m telling you, this series is amazing. i think the biggest problem is the timeslot. it NEEDS to get renewed and maybe get better placement or something. Say what you like but if i could only save one show this year, it’s Hannibal.

• kirads09 says:

Cool. Thanks. I wasn’t sure I was ever going to accept anyone but Hopkins as Lector but Mads is impressive and won me over. Hugh Dancy is remarkable and really makes the show.

33. Babygate says:

I wonder why TVLine always posts the preliminary ratings and never an update, or just wait for the final ratings to be available. Hannibal was not adjusted up but Motive was. I think Motive is not great but it is very entertaining and it’s different than other procedurals. I watch Hannibal and I find it compelling and intellectually stimulating. You have to get your head into the plot, but not everyone is into that. The fact is that it is not only dark, but deeply disturbing. The killings are beyond gruesome and animalistic. Only a deeply disturbed individual could come up with such a concept. And maybe that’s the reason that people are not generally inclined to watch. The cast, the writing, the photography and everything can be perfect, but the concept still has to appeal and Hannibal is a hard pill to swallow. It has a very specific and narrow audience and thus I think it’s better suited for cable.

34. Hannibal seems to be too sophisticated for a lot of folks. Personally, I have found the performances and story lines absolutely engrossing thus far, and will be quite disappointed if they cancel it. However, I have often become attached to smart, challenging shows that the American Public can’t seem to connect with, i.e. Touch.

35. saundra says:

I enjoyed Save Me much more than I thought I would. I’ve actually watched 2 episodes twice on line. I hope it makes it.