Did NBC's Save Me Make You a Convert?

Get More: Polls, Recaps

Save Me Season 1 Premiere RecapDid Save Me have you shouting hallelujah?

NBC’s newest comedy premiered Thursday (8/7c) with two back-to-back episodes. In them, we meet Beth Harper (played by Anne Heche, Men in Trees), a Midwestern wife and mother who has a near-death experience in her kitchen after choking on a hero sandwich.

When she’s revived, she claims to be able to receive messages from God. This mortifies her daughter Emily (Madison Davenport, Shameless) and stymies Beth’s husband Tom (Michael Landes, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman)… who’s got a different kind of religious moment happening on the regular with his mistress Carly (Alexandra Breckenridge, American Horror Story).

Thursday’s episodes find Beth dishing out some pretty on-point advice – courtesy of the Man Upstairs – and working overtime to make amends with friends she offended in the past, with mixed results.

Novelist John Scott Shepherd created the comedy and serves as executive producer alongside director Scott Winant (Breaking Bad), Alexa Junge (United States of Tara) and The Big C‘s Neal H. Moritz, Vivian Cannon and Darlene Hunt.

What did you think of Save Me? Grade the premiere via the poll below, then back up your choice in the comments!

Tags: ,

Comments (69)

• I thought it was as tasty as a peanut butter and tofu sandwich.

Comment by Laquisha – May 23, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Personally those aren’t half bad, so is this a compliment, or…

Comment by Mike butea (@mibuteau11) – May 23, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you don’t already know the life story of Anne Heche, you owe it to yourself to go here to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Heche I don’t believe there is ANYONE on planet earth that even approaches the tragedy and the drama.

Comment by cmaglaughlin – May 24, 2013 03:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anne “Celestia” Heche is an immoral freak and loser. She deserves NO success after her behavior. Let’s boycott everything she does and let’s hope that she winds up scrubbing toilets.

Comment by Molly – May 24, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, lets punish her for having the gall to have suffered a psychotic break. You are a shining light for humanity.

Comment by Ani – May 24, 2013 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are an idiot

Comment by Amy – May 31, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Molly- As a recovered drug addict who had no parents to raise me because they were also addicts I think you are judging someone off of stereo types and you are probbly projecting your own hatred for your own psychotic episodes that you can’t control onto someone you don’t even know. I had a “psychotic break” and I am perfectly healthy, happy, and contribute more to my community than anyone I know. I have a degree in Mental Health and in Chemical Depenency Counseling and someone who is in recovery has to work so hard to fight the devil everyday is a challenge and then gradually it gets easier. From the way you are talking you know nothing about “psychotic breaks” I think you need to go volunteer at a food and clothing shelter and get off your $2,000 couch so you can see what the real world is like. Then come back and tell us what you know about a psychotic break! P.S. This show is one of the first shows in a long time on a main stream channel about God, recovery, forgiveness, community, family, and doing the right thing. Apparently you would rather watch murder investigations and immature reality shows. I think you should get on your knees and pray that you will be forgiven for your hateful actions. Then go scrub a toilet.

Comment by Tosha – June 30, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t aware of this show’s premiere. Hmm. I’ haven’t seen adverts around either compared to a couple others that are around the net for various new shows debuting.

Comment by Esaul – May 23, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heche needs less self-referential material to lead. I appreciate the casting, but there’s dramatic work outside the comedy genre that calls to her real talents. She would make a complex villain ring with wonder in any dramatic series, but a sympathetic lead in a comedy is not her measure. Her cameo in I Know What You Did Last Summer was a twisted little flavor of what feels right for her timbre of beauty and effect.

Comment by Kaulbach Kurt-James – May 23, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • English isn’t your first language, is it?

Comment by Ryan – May 23, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wouldn’t she be better suited in a science fiction role? Someone dire and tragic with a deep disappointment in her own species.

Comment by Kaulbach Kurt-James – May 23, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ignore ryan-you write beautifully.

Comment by Ani – May 23, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think he ran it through an online translator before posting. The odd phrasing in many places gives it away. UGH!

Comment by Alex – May 23, 2013 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Xenophobic much? So what if English is a second language to him. We don’t have an official language in the USA so what’s your problem? His comments made sense.

Comment by rowan77 – May 23, 2013 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Not really. Beauty does not have timbre.

Comment by Dane – May 24, 2013 06:50 AM PDT
          • Dane, the beauty of a performance (not this one, IMHO) DOES has a timbre and that’s what he’s talking about.

Comment by rowan77 – May 24, 2013 09:09 AM PDT
          • “DOES has”?

Comment by Ryan – May 24, 2013 03:55 PM PDT
          • Ryan, it’s called a typo dips#!t.

Comment by rowan77 – May 24, 2013 08:54 PM PDT
        • No, actually, he’s just writing in very good English. Something, unfortunately, too many Americans do not recognize. And, yes, I’m an American myself and so can comment honestly and with insight.

Comment by Liz985 – May 24, 2013 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No post-high school education, right? Sad that you felt the need to comment on someone’s style and delivery just because it is outside the realm of your comprehension. Reflects bad on you and you alone.

Comment by Babygate – May 23, 2013 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lol Ryan. The irony here is phenomenal, given that the comment is one of the finest examples of English as a first language I have ever seen on an internet board. Perhaps it is you who has English as a second language? (Or, maybe, you just didn’t get straight A’s in English… which you probably should consider a prerequisite before making a comment like yours).
        The internet never fails to amaze me at how frequently people accidentally insult themselves instead of their intended target through a perfect storm of ignorance and ego.

Comment by ben – May 24, 2013 01:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Right on target. I’ve been editing papers, manuscripts, instruction manuals, etc., for over 23 years; Kurt-James comment was beautifully written. And to poke fun at it just goes to show how poorly-educated people are becoming. Ryan doesn’t even seem to understand typos, or the fact that many of us are dealing with such annoying features as the iPhone’s auto-correct (in which it’ll guess and substitute, incorrectly, what word we’re trying to type).

And before he snarks about it – yes, I know I can turn auto-correct off; however, it’s supposed to learn my style over time. Auto-correct can’t do that unless it is left on and used…

Comment by B. Patterson – May 25, 2013 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Kindness isn’t’ your first virtue, is it Ryan?

Comment by CBQSteele! (@CBQSteele) – May 24, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Clearly it’s not yours.

Comment by SAM – May 24, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So?

Comment by vd – June 1, 2013 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, the comment is written beautifully with complex imagery and word choice. Sadly, good writing seems like a foreign language to some people today.

Comment by Bri – May 23, 2013 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought this was cancelled already

Comment by Mike – May 23, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tick tock.

Comment by Kaulbach Kurt-James – May 23, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • [Snort-laugh].

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 23, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • isn’t this as good as cancelled? if NBC had any confidence in this, they would have scheduled it earlier.

Comment by BBC – May 23, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. They have been holding onto this series for a really long time. I remember first hearing about it over a year ago.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 23, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They should just give it to ABC and be done with it. It’s a typical ABC family style sitcom in everything but being on the actual network.

It’s a burn-off series, meaning they ordered a bunch of episodes and realized it really didn’t fit in with any of their other comedies so they’ll run it against re-runs and reality shows and hope to grab the few dozen people who haven’t prepared their Netflix queue with stuff to watch over the summer.

Comment by Simon – May 31, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Considering all the garbage on TV anymore, I found this show a nice quirky respite and will definitely watch again and again. If you don’t know the real history and story behind Anne and her mom Nancy, you are missing the irony of Anne being in this show to begin with, let alone her own personal checkered past.

Comment by charles edmond – May 31, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • better then expected I found it funny and much better then most of the new sitcoms that came out except for Go On

Comment by Dennis – May 23, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was not as bad as The Boston Globe claimed it was. I kind of liked it. It would not be a priority, but if it’s on, I will watch it.

Comment by Chester – May 23, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always enjoyed Anne Heche, but watching this just reminded me how upset I still am that Men In Trees was cancelled. That was such a great show…..that and Eli Stone, Pushing Daisies, and What About Brian. I’m still boycotting ABC.

Comment by Ashlyn – May 23, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I adore men in trees, and still mourn its cancellation.

Comment by Ani – May 23, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t watch it. I don’t really find Anne Heche to be funny or interesting in any way. I couldn’t stand her character on Hung. I actually didn’t think she could carry a series on her own, but I have to admit I forgot Men in Trees existed. Though I never watched that either because it looked like a rip off of Northern Exposure to me. I dunno. I probably won’t watch Save Me. I still need to go back and watch the entire Archer series so that my friend will stop bugging me about that. Between what I haven’t seen yet and what I want to rewatch, and Breaking Bad and The Newsroom coming back this summer, I feel like my TV watching is all full up for the next few months. Sorry, Anne.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 23, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Considering the pedigrees and past work of the director/producers listed above, I’m really surprised it was this bad.

Comment by The Beach – May 24, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uhh… I don’t think you were supposed to stand her character in Hung. The objective of her character was for you to sympathize more with a man who was a prostitute and children who were ‘off the beaten path’…

Comment by Timmydatooth – May 24, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it.

Comment by Bobbie – May 23, 2013 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nope.

Comment by John – May 23, 2013 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s wrong with you people? Did you actually watch the show or just came here to say nasty things? I loved it and it was far better then anything that was on NBC this year. I’m just bummed they chose now to air it when the TV season is over. They’re just burning it if now but I wish they gave it a chance like they did for whatever that jimmy Fallon show he produce was called that got canceled

Comment by The truth – May 23, 2013 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That Jimmy Fallon show (Guys With Kids) was pretty funny. Save Me isn’t. I was bored by the end of the first episode, and when I saw Anne Hache sitting on a toilet in the second episode, I was done. I find her to be creepy.

Also, Save Me wasn’t better than Parenthood or Chicago Fire or even a Dan Harmonless Community.

Comment by TV Gord – May 24, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was just not a particularly good show. The biggest problem I had was with Heche. She is so over the top compared to the other actors. It’s like she thinks comedy is all flailing around and mugging. Zero subtlety. Comedy is not her strongest suit and that’s what dragging down this show. She’s far better at doing a dramedy like Men in Trees than straight comedy.

Comment by rowan77 – May 24, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Pretty confident that the director and writers wanted her to stand out from the other characters, to show the juxtaposition and the reaction to hearing messages from the big guy upstairs.

Comment by Timmydatooth – May 24, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So they wanted her to be like she’s in an English Pantomine? Nah. She’s overacting. It’s bad. There are more interesting and subtle ways to do it. It ruined the show for me – and I’m sure for some others as well.

Comment by rowan77 – May 24, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually enjoyed it. Was it the best comedy ever? No. Did it deserve better than the reviews I’ve seen on the net? Heck yes. Did it deserve better than to be burnt off and given no promotion? Again. heck yes. I remember Love Bites got the same treatment and it deserved better too. I don’t know who these networks get for the test audiences but I personally don’t agree with their decision making processes. I’ve seen far worse than this show get more promotion and love from the studios.

Comment by jestsaying – May 24, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Far better than anything that was on NBC this year?

Maybe as good as (or slightly better than) 1600 Penn you mean.

Comment by Simon – May 31, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was interesting…..will check it out further to see if they o beyond everyone thinking that she is crazy.

Comment by GeoDiva – May 23, 2013 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually found it quirky and entertaining. I wasn’t expecting to because I’m not an Anne Heche fan but I really enjoyed it. And the cast is phenomenal. She managed to wrangle up some real talent. I like that it was funny without being over the top or relied too much on irony to try to make a point. It will probably get cancelled but I like it better than any other NBC comedy with the exception of Parks and Rec.

Comment by Ana – May 23, 2013 11:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked it too. Found it to be similar in genre to Suburgatory.

Comment by jestsaying – May 24, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, it does stink of ABC style programming.

Comment by Simon – May 31, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m seriously beginning to think that my idea of comedy is skewed. It seems that any show I find entertaining or quirky, something I would invest 30 minutes in, gets cancelled or is a summer burn-off. It was an enjoyable half hour. It’s different than anything else on, has a strong cast who easily could have over-acted but didn’t, and while it didn’t have me rolling on the floor, it did entertain. I’ll definitely watch it again (or more importantly give it a spot on the DVR).

Comment by Dee – May 24, 2013 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was great but I didn’t get the bit with the woman in the coma at the end

Comment by Patrick Maloney – May 24, 2013 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah me neither.

Comment by JT – May 24, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, I guess we’ll find out in episode 3, BTW That wasn’t spme woman, that was the girlfriend hit by lightning

Comment by unkustan – May 24, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not an Ann Heche fan and had no intention of watching it, but it was on in the background and I found myself actually paying attention to and enjoying it. Which means it will be cancelled immediately.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – May 24, 2013 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thought it was good. There was nothing to watch at that time anyway.

Comment by JT – May 24, 2013 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC cancelled SMASH – no matter what they put on I won’t be watching!

Comment by Lisa – May 24, 2013 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If NBC didn’t cancel Smash, they would’ve lost more money…

Comment by Austin – May 24, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anne Heche is just so good! She made this really smart & charming.

Comment by Missy Kelly – May 24, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch 20 minutes of first episode then stopped, lost my interest. Nothing good was on so I actually read a book.

Comment by Mary – May 24, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was really cute and quirky, I’d definitely watch if its on

Comment by Sarah – May 24, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Michael Landes and was looking forward to having him on TV again but I only made it through half of the episode.

Comment by Peggy – May 24, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched both episodes last night and sadly, this show will not make it.

Comment by Pat – May 24, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t find the first episode that great, but since I had the second on the DVR already I thought I would give it another chance. It was better than the first. Not great, but what show is in the first few episodes. I set the DVR for this Thursday as well. I have my doubts that it will survive though. One thing I found irritating was when the daughter walked in on her mother on the toilet, not once, but twice. Who walks into a bathroom when the door is closed? Also, who sits on the toilet without locking the door? Very stupid! But the rest of the show was kinda cute.

Comment by David Kahoun – May 26, 2013 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • David -I also was skeptical the first episode but I think it is the perfect 30 min show. (Well I really love Big Bang) Our society definitely needs to learn a moral lesson every now and then. When we were children everything we watched just about had some underlying lesson to be learned and now days everything is funny or exciting but do they encourage us to be better people? As for the bathroom thing my daughter is 6 and she comes in the bathroom every chance she gets when I am in there LOL I would lock the door but I don’t feel right locking my family away from me no matter how much I want to sometimes! But yes it was a little strange on t.v. but women do that when the man isn’t home.

Comment by Tosha – June 30, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show. On my DVR list :-)

Comment by Amy – May 31, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post