Did NBC's Save Me Make You a Convert?

Save Me Season 1 Premiere RecapDid Save Me have you shouting hallelujah?

NBC’s newest comedy premiered Thursday (8/7c) with two back-to-back episodes. In them, we meet Beth Harper (played by Anne Heche, Men in Trees), a Midwestern wife and mother who has a near-death experience in her kitchen after choking on a hero sandwich.

When she’s revived, she claims to be able to receive messages from God. This mortifies her daughter Emily (Madison Davenport, Shameless) and stymies Beth’s husband Tom (Michael Landes, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman)… who’s got a different kind of religious moment happening on the regular with his mistress Carly (Alexandra Breckenridge, American Horror Story).

Thursday’s episodes find Beth dishing out some pretty on-point advice – courtesy of the Man Upstairs – and working overtime to make amends with friends she offended in the past, with mixed results.

Novelist John Scott Shepherd created the comedy and serves as executive producer alongside director Scott Winant (Breaking Bad), Alexa Junge (United States of Tara) and The Big C‘s Neal H. Moritz, Vivian Cannon and Darlene Hunt.

What did you think of Save Me? Grade the premiere via the poll below, then back up your choice in the comments!

1. Laquisha says:

I thought it was as tasty as a peanut butter and tofu sandwich.

• Personally those aren’t half bad, so is this a compliment, or…

• cmaglaughlin says:

If you don’t already know the life story of Anne Heche, you owe it to yourself to go here to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Heche I don’t believe there is ANYONE on planet earth that even approaches the tragedy and the drama.

• Molly says:

Anne “Celestia” Heche is an immoral freak and loser. She deserves NO success after her behavior. Let’s boycott everything she does and let’s hope that she winds up scrubbing toilets.

• Ani says:

Yes, lets punish her for having the gall to have suffered a psychotic break. You are a shining light for humanity.

• Amy says:

You are an idiot

• Tosha says:

Molly- As a recovered drug addict who had no parents to raise me because they were also addicts I think you are judging someone off of stereo types and you are probbly projecting your own hatred for your own psychotic episodes that you can’t control onto someone you don’t even know. I had a “psychotic break” and I am perfectly healthy, happy, and contribute more to my community than anyone I know. I have a degree in Mental Health and in Chemical Depenency Counseling and someone who is in recovery has to work so hard to fight the devil everyday is a challenge and then gradually it gets easier. From the way you are talking you know nothing about “psychotic breaks” I think you need to go volunteer at a food and clothing shelter and get off your $2,000 couch so you can see what the real world is like. Then come back and tell us what you know about a psychotic break! P.S. This show is one of the first shows in a long time on a main stream channel about God, recovery, forgiveness, community, family, and doing the right thing. Apparently you would rather watch murder investigations and immature reality shows. I think you should get on your knees and pray that you will be forgiven for your hateful actions. Then go scrub a toilet.

2. Esaul says:

I wasn’t aware of this show’s premiere. Hmm. I’ haven’t seen adverts around either compared to a couple others that are around the net for various new shows debuting.

3. Kaulbach Kurt-James says:

Heche needs less self-referential material to lead. I appreciate the casting, but there’s dramatic work outside the comedy genre that calls to her real talents. She would make a complex villain ring with wonder in any dramatic series, but a sympathetic lead in a comedy is not her measure. Her cameo in I Know What You Did Last Summer was a twisted little flavor of what feels right for her timbre of beauty and effect.

• Ryan says:

English isn’t your first language, is it?

• Kaulbach Kurt-James says:

Wouldn’t she be better suited in a science fiction role? Someone dire and tragic with a deep disappointment in her own species.

• Alex says:

I think he ran it through an online translator before posting. The odd phrasing in many places gives it away. UGH!

• rowan77 says:

Xenophobic much? So what if English is a second language to him. We don’t have an official language in the USA so what’s your problem? His comments made sense.

• Liz985 says:

No, actually, he’s just writing in very good English. Something, unfortunately, too many Americans do not recognize. And, yes, I’m an American myself and so can comment honestly and with insight.

• Babygate says:

No post-high school education, right? Sad that you felt the need to comment on someone’s style and delivery just because it is outside the realm of your comprehension. Reflects bad on you and you alone.

• ben says:

Lol Ryan. The irony here is phenomenal, given that the comment is one of the finest examples of English as a first language I have ever seen on an internet board. Perhaps it is you who has English as a second language? (Or, maybe, you just didn’t get straight A’s in English… which you probably should consider a prerequisite before making a comment like yours).
        The internet never fails to amaze me at how frequently people accidentally insult themselves instead of their intended target through a perfect storm of ignorance and ego.

• B. Patterson says:

Right on target. I’ve been editing papers, manuscripts, instruction manuals, etc., for over 23 years; Kurt-James comment was beautifully written. And to poke fun at it just goes to show how poorly-educated people are becoming. Ryan doesn’t even seem to understand typos, or the fact that many of us are dealing with such annoying features as the iPhone’s auto-correct (in which it’ll guess and substitute, incorrectly, what word we’re trying to type).

And before he snarks about it – yes, I know I can turn auto-correct off; however, it’s supposed to learn my style over time. Auto-correct can’t do that unless it is left on and used…

• Kindness isn’t’ your first virtue, is it Ryan?

• SAM says:

Clearly it’s not yours.

• Bri says:

Actually, the comment is written beautifully with complex imagery and word choice. Sadly, good writing seems like a foreign language to some people today.

4. Mike says:

I thought this was cancelled already

5. BBC says:

isn’t this as good as cancelled? if NBC had any confidence in this, they would have scheduled it earlier.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Exactly. They have been holding onto this series for a really long time. I remember first hearing about it over a year ago.

• Simon says:

They should just give it to ABC and be done with it. It’s a typical ABC family style sitcom in everything but being on the actual network.

It’s a burn-off series, meaning they ordered a bunch of episodes and realized it really didn’t fit in with any of their other comedies so they’ll run it against re-runs and reality shows and hope to grab the few dozen people who haven’t prepared their Netflix queue with stuff to watch over the summer.

• charles edmond says:

Considering all the garbage on TV anymore, I found this show a nice quirky respite and will definitely watch again and again. If you don’t know the real history and story behind Anne and her mom Nancy, you are missing the irony of Anne being in this show to begin with, let alone her own personal checkered past.

6. Dennis says:

better then expected I found it funny and much better then most of the new sitcoms that came out except for Go On

7. Chester says:

It was not as bad as The Boston Globe claimed it was. I kind of liked it. It would not be a priority, but if it’s on, I will watch it.

8. Ashlyn says:

I’ve always enjoyed Anne Heche, but watching this just reminded me how upset I still am that Men In Trees was cancelled. That was such a great show…..that and Eli Stone, Pushing Daisies, and What About Brian. I’m still boycotting ABC.

9. Britta Unfiltered says:

I didn’t watch it. I don’t really find Anne Heche to be funny or interesting in any way. I couldn’t stand her character on Hung. I actually didn’t think she could carry a series on her own, but I have to admit I forgot Men in Trees existed. Though I never watched that either because it looked like a rip off of Northern Exposure to me. I dunno. I probably won’t watch Save Me. I still need to go back and watch the entire Archer series so that my friend will stop bugging me about that. Between what I haven’t seen yet and what I want to rewatch, and Breaking Bad and The Newsroom coming back this summer, I feel like my TV watching is all full up for the next few months. Sorry, Anne.

• The Beach says:

Considering the pedigrees and past work of the director/producers listed above, I’m really surprised it was this bad.

• Timmydatooth says:

Uhh… I don’t think you were supposed to stand her character in Hung. The objective of her character was for you to sympathize more with a man who was a prostitute and children who were ‘off the beaten path’…

10. Bobbie says:

I loved it.

11. The truth says:

What’s wrong with you people? Did you actually watch the show or just came here to say nasty things? I loved it and it was far better then anything that was on NBC this year. I’m just bummed they chose now to air it when the TV season is over. They’re just burning it if now but I wish they gave it a chance like they did for whatever that jimmy Fallon show he produce was called that got canceled

• TV Gord says:

That Jimmy Fallon show (Guys With Kids) was pretty funny. Save Me isn’t. I was bored by the end of the first episode, and when I saw Anne Hache sitting on a toilet in the second episode, I was done. I find her to be creepy.

Also, Save Me wasn’t better than Parenthood or Chicago Fire or even a Dan Harmonless Community.

• rowan77 says:

It was just not a particularly good show. The biggest problem I had was with Heche. She is so over the top compared to the other actors. It’s like she thinks comedy is all flailing around and mugging. Zero subtlety. Comedy is not her strongest suit and that’s what dragging down this show. She’s far better at doing a dramedy like Men in Trees than straight comedy.

• Timmydatooth says:

Pretty confident that the director and writers wanted her to stand out from the other characters, to show the juxtaposition and the reaction to hearing messages from the big guy upstairs.

• rowan77 says:

So they wanted her to be like she’s in an English Pantomine? Nah. She’s overacting. It’s bad. There are more interesting and subtle ways to do it. It ruined the show for me – and I’m sure for some others as well.

• jestsaying says:

I actually enjoyed it. Was it the best comedy ever? No. Did it deserve better than the reviews I’ve seen on the net? Heck yes. Did it deserve better than to be burnt off and given no promotion? Again. heck yes. I remember Love Bites got the same treatment and it deserved better too. I don’t know who these networks get for the test audiences but I personally don’t agree with their decision making processes. I’ve seen far worse than this show get more promotion and love from the studios.

• Simon says:

Far better than anything that was on NBC this year?

Maybe as good as (or slightly better than) 1600 Penn you mean.

12. GeoDiva says:

It was interesting…..will check it out further to see if they o beyond everyone thinking that she is crazy.

13. Ana says:

I actually found it quirky and entertaining. I wasn’t expecting to because I’m not an Anne Heche fan but I really enjoyed it. And the cast is phenomenal. She managed to wrangle up some real talent. I like that it was funny without being over the top or relied too much on irony to try to make a point. It will probably get cancelled but I like it better than any other NBC comedy with the exception of Parks and Rec.

14. Dee says:

I’m seriously beginning to think that my idea of comedy is skewed. It seems that any show I find entertaining or quirky, something I would invest 30 minutes in, gets cancelled or is a summer burn-off. It was an enjoyable half hour. It’s different than anything else on, has a strong cast who easily could have over-acted but didn’t, and while it didn’t have me rolling on the floor, it did entertain. I’ll definitely watch it again (or more importantly give it a spot on the DVR).

15. Patrick Maloney says:

I thought it was great but I didn’t get the bit with the woman in the coma at the end

16. Magically Suspicious says:

I’m not an Ann Heche fan and had no intention of watching it, but it was on in the background and I found myself actually paying attention to and enjoying it. Which means it will be cancelled immediately.

17. JT says:

Thought it was good. There was nothing to watch at that time anyway.

18. Lisa says:

NBC cancelled SMASH – no matter what they put on I won’t be watching!

19. Missy Kelly says:

Anne Heche is just so good! She made this really smart & charming.

20. Mary says:

Watch 20 minutes of first episode then stopped, lost my interest. Nothing good was on so I actually read a book.

21. Sarah says:

I thought it was really cute and quirky, I’d definitely watch if its on

22. Peggy says:

I really like Michael Landes and was looking forward to having him on TV again but I only made it through half of the episode.

23. Pat says:

I watched both episodes last night and sadly, this show will not make it.

24. David Kahoun says:

I didn’t find the first episode that great, but since I had the second on the DVR already I thought I would give it another chance. It was better than the first. Not great, but what show is in the first few episodes. I set the DVR for this Thursday as well. I have my doubts that it will survive though. One thing I found irritating was when the daughter walked in on her mother on the toilet, not once, but twice. Who walks into a bathroom when the door is closed? Also, who sits on the toilet without locking the door? Very stupid! But the rest of the show was kinda cute.

• Tosha says:

David -I also was skeptical the first episode but I think it is the perfect 30 min show. (Well I really love Big Bang) Our society definitely needs to learn a moral lesson every now and then. When we were children everything we watched just about had some underlying lesson to be learned and now days everything is funny or exciting but do they encourage us to be better people? As for the bathroom thing my daughter is 6 and she comes in the bathroom every chance she gets when I am in there LOL I would lock the door but I don’t feel right locking my family away from me no matter how much I want to sometimes! But yes it was a little strange on t.v. but women do that when the man isn’t home.

25. Amy says:

I love this show. On my DVR list :-)